The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old February 14, 2010, 09:21   #1
XHardrock
Registered

FALaholic #: 16502
ORF VZ 58 receiver quality?

ORF has these listed for $199 which is cheap enough to get a couple kits off the shelf.
I have read on different forums of incorrect heat treatment, and trigger (axis pin) configuration problems.
Any builds or insight.
Thanks.
XHardrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 09:32   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
ORF has a long history of making dangerously out of spec garbage and cheating customers. The owner, Todd Grove, is a pathological liar. I cannot recommend bying anything from that bottom-feeding cockroach.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 09:39   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Don't hold back, Mark, tell us how you really feel.

I have seen 2 VZ58's built on the ORF receivers and both required work to get them together. The rifles shoot well and only time will tell how well the receivers hold up. There are other makers out there that should be looked at before picking the one you want. Just don't let the price be your only guide on the one you pick.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 10:14   #4
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
I built a pistol on one of their receivers and the only fitting I needed to do is with the gas piston passage and a spot near the trigger guard where the magazines contact. The latter can be done to the individual mags instead of the receiver. It works well enough that I'm going to SBR it.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 15:15   #5
mojo_matic
banned - trolling marketplace

FALaholic #: 12363
Why mess with it? The CZ USA examples are factory built and have received stellar reviews. I checked out an example while home on leave and was impressed.

The factory CZ VZ-58 rifles are one of the more exciting and interesting imports in quite some time. Picking one up may turn out to be a sound investment, taking into consideration that people are willing to shell out $1500 for a yawner Norinco AK, which is far from uncommon.
mojo_matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 19:40   #6
DYNOMIKE
Registered

FALaholic #: 11982
Re: ORF VZ 58 receiver quality?

Quote:
Originally posted by XHardrock
ORF has these listed for $199 which is cheap enough to get a couple kits off the shelf.
I have read on different forums of incorrect heat treatment, and trigger (axis pin) configuration problems.
Any builds or insight.
Thanks.
Here is a Link to my thread..

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...light=DYNOMIKE

I did a pretty detailed look at the receiver and have noted the "issues" that presented themselves early on.. These issues BTW have not gotten worse and the rifle has made numerous range trips to date.. I check the top of the receiver (my biggest concern) after EVERY range trip and the peening has stopped. My accuracy issue (noted in the thread) seems to have been related to the diameter of the lesser quality ammo, when other ammo types are used the gun shoots quite well and is very accurate..

As far as WHY BOTHER "IF" you already have a kit it would of course make sense to persue it's completion, that's pretty much a no brainer.. The ORF receiver was not problematic to build as I made specific inquiries about that to Glen..
CZECHPOINT USA also sells receivers so IMO that would also be an option..

"IF" you have NO kit, I would prolly just buy a complete rifle from CZECHPOINT as they do indeed get very good reveiws..

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/vz-58-rifles/

I like the rifle very much, it is light, fast handling, yet very solid.. The FOLDER seems to fit me better no idea why? Accuracy is very good, function (W/Good ammo) is excellent although as stated it does NOT like H/P's at all.. Rather then dwell on that I have decided I simply don't care as there is no surplus H/P ammo anyway and since the gun was not designed for H/P's I dont see this being a design/function problem..

Good luck with whatever you do, I'm sure you will like the rifle..
Old February 14, 2010, 20:57   #7
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
It is a shame that Czechpoint quit painting them the correct blue-grey. Mine matches the color of original mags perfect.
Old February 15, 2010, 16:09   #8
XHardrock
Registered

Thanks.
Forgot about the bad blood here with Todd, I don't plan on taking him to dinner just purchasing a receiver or 2.
If the only problems are fitting I'm good with it (I'm used to century builds) if the problem is due to heat treat or reliability I'll pass.

Mike, I did a search for your thread and came up blank, thanks for posting it.
Wasn't even aware of Czechpoint, $350 is an affordable option.
I did see the Ohio Ordnance receiver with the compliant parts, $650....At that price my opinion would be the same as Mojo's.

I mess with builds because I enjoy it.....almost as much as getting them to the range.
Old February 15, 2010, 18:13   #9
English Mike
Registered

FALaholic #: 11339
Have a look on the AK Files
There are more than a few people there who had problems with locking lugs peening due to inadequate heat treatment.
Don't expect any help from Todd if you DO have issues.

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common: They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.
English Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2010, 10:41   #10
lima
Registered

FALaholic #: 21484
I built a pair of kits on Czech made receivers from D-Tecknik last year. I got mine from Centerfire but they are the same ones Czechpoint uses and are well worth it. Plus - you end up with a real Czech gun that is in spec.

On the receiver, the barrel hole is slightly undersized to fit all barrels. Other than that, a pretty straight forward build and things fit perfectly.

I finished mine with the VZ2000 color from Duracoat which was a little flatter than the glossy factory paint but otherwise was a good match.

Like other people have said, the VZ58 feels like a swiss watch compared to an AK. Fun light compact gun.
lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010, 23:18   #11
FAL GRUNT
Registered

FALaholic #: 7561
Did of review of my build on an ORF:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...hreadid=273634

Just so Mike doesn't think he's the only one!

I don't think I'll build on another ORF receiver. I just didn't care for it. The more I handle the rifle the more I dislike the receiver. Rifle shoots, rifle functions, but something bothers me. I'll check headspace again after another 100 rounds or so. I only have maybe 30-50 rounds, once I get a chance to put a few more rounds through it I will check for peening, setback, etc.

I might do czech point receivers for my 2 kits... use this rifle as my demo beater.

-myers
Old February 17, 2010, 23:46   #12
sld
Registered

FALaholic #: 32312
Prexis has 80% hybrid receivers.
sld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2010, 18:35   #13
XHardrock
Registered

It is mostly complete,,,,, still waiting on the FCG and brake.
The barrel needed turning (.004).
I have yet to find the interfernce but the BC was binding and set me back on headspace. ...2 hrs of WTF. Hand cycling it a couple dozen times smoothed that out.
2 minor issues I ran into were that the mag catch spring relief in the receiver was shallow and the axis pin holes needed the burrs removed.

It functions well by hand but won't have a positive until I get the US made FCG.
Dyno has me concerned with the rail peening,,,,we'll see.
Old April 01, 2010, 19:36   #14
DYNOMIKE
Registered

The peening on my rifle was mostly at the spot the B/BC impacts the receiver face.. I have (and continue) to inspect the rifle after EVERY range trip and can say that after several hundred rounds I think it has stopped.. The last couple trips I have noticed no additonal peening in that area so the material that was there has now been removed with a file and it looks just fine..

Again I will continue to keep tabs on this area..

The rails themselves have not been problematic to date.. You can tell where the action has been running inside the reciver and on the rails but I am not concerned with what I see here at this time..
Will get a couple more PICS after I shoot it again, prolly next weekend..
Old April 18, 2010, 12:08   #15
XHardrock
Registered

I received the US parts and got it to the range this morning.

In addition to what I previously stated on the receiver found that the rails near the breech were tapered in just a few thousands on each side, that was causing the BC to bind and giving a false headspace reading.

Alot to chose from today but between my buds and myself we fed it about 100 rounds of surplus Yugo from Century. Strippers are handy.
Headspace is still correct.

Dyno: I do see a contact mark on the receiver and wonder if that is from cycling with an empty chamber.
The headspace is still correct so it may be extra material that needs to be removed.
I'm going to do some checking for a good reference with the old stub.

FAL GRUNT: I like the way yours came out, definitely need to check on the Duracoat vz.2000, I mainly use Gun Kote.
I'll give you $350 for that demo beater.

I love it and not sure how much my AK's will get to the range now, and like all my rifles it outshoots me.

Here's 10 rounds of Yugo, I set up at 50 yards thinking I would have to sight it in........I didn't.
Aim was at target center, 3.5" spread.

Thanks for the input gents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0956 (748 x 561).jpg (92.7 KB, 176 views)
Old April 18, 2010, 13:46   #16
DYNOMIKE
Registered

COOL!!!
They are indeed very nice rifles and they do shoot really well...
Your target looks great, as previously noted the YUGO runs very well in my gun and I will/would be interested if your rifle has "issues" with any of the ammo types I noted?

As far as the contact marks on this I can only speak of my gun having not seen yours.. I have cycled the gun very few times on an empty chamber so with my rifle the marks are from firing no doubt.. The idea that there may be a bit of extra material there is something I thought of especially since it seems to have stopped.. In fact I'm pretty sure I noted this somewhere but I took a file and carefully removed the peened metal in affected area and it has not done it anymore since? I don't have any 7.62 x 39 headspcae gauges but it would be interesting to check mine since Iv'e run it quite a bit now..

Congrats on the build, I'm pretty sure you will be making the VZ a Range trip regular..
Old April 21, 2010, 05:08   #17
XHardrock
Registered

Dyno,
I measured the contact area from my stub and compared the 2. The ORF receiver has .007 added material, If the peening continues it is enough to throw the head space out.
I'll order/make an oversize pin just in case.

While there may be a good reason the locking lugs are not an acceptable reference point (?), I can't think of one.

I have the go gauge and add shim stock to that for the no go, if you want to borrow it shoot me a PM with address.
Old April 21, 2010, 08:15   #18
DYNOMIKE
Registered

That's a great idea, I have the original stub as well but didn't think of that I just kinda eyeballed it.. That would make sense though I think....

Oh I think the locking lugs are as good a ref point as any other, I just didn't want to say for sure of they were the same marks as mine not having seen your receiver...
Mebe I misinterpreted your comment about the cycling on an empty chamber?
I just wanted to make sure you understood the peening on my rifle happened during firing is all..
You have a better understaning then I on how these work because you built yours and I sent mine out.. I thought about trying to do the build but figured I better not...

That would be great if I could borrow the H/S Gauge, I'll shoot ya a PM this afternoon I gotta get to work..