The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Class III Files

Notices

Old February 08, 2010, 13:47   #1
mikeb71
Registered

FALaholic #: 44230
Question about SBR

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway (showing my ignorance).

Is it legal to completely remove the buttstock from a registered SBR? I have a MP5K clone that has a folding stock that I plan on SBR'ing and I am wondering if it is possible to switch back and forth between the folder and an endcap?
Old February 08, 2010, 14:08   #2
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17951
as long as you have the tax stamp, and it can be put back to original configuration, i believe it's fine. i could be wrong, but believe this is the case.
olgier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2010, 15:50   #3
SAF59
Registered

FALaholic #: 27523
(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

I don't see a problem in either configuration as long as you have the tax stamp.
SAF59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2010, 13:25   #4
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
Wouldn't removing the buttstock make it an AOW? I don't know if that'd be covered by the stamp for the SBR. I have no real knowledge of these issues, just what I've read on the innanet.....
Old February 09, 2010, 20:52   #5
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Quote:
Originally posted by GOVT1911
Wouldn't removing the buttstock make it an AOW? I don't know if that'd be covered by the stamp for the SBR. I have no real knowledge of these issues, just what I've read on the innanet.....
Nope, Once an SBR - always an SBR , short of asking it to be removed from the registry.

Now, go the other way take a receiver that's never had a stock and have the AOW paperwork for you pistol gripped wonder pistol - if you put a butt stock on it you just created a SBR and owe a $200 tax

People who buy 12 ga AOW - then think they can mount a stock to save 195 in tax just don't get it - now they owe 205 in tax but have only paid for 5 of it.

And taking the stock back off to but the pistol grip back on doesn't erase the tax violation.
Old February 12, 2010, 11:18   #6
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
Quote:
Originally posted by Artful

Nope, Once an SBR - always an SBR , short of asking it to be removed from the registry.

Now, go the other way take a receiver that's never had a stock and have the AOW paperwork for you pistol gripped wonder pistol - if you put a butt stock on it you just created a SBR and owe a $200 tax

People who buy 12 ga AOW - then think they can mount a stock to save 195 in tax just don't get it - now they owe 205 in tax but have only paid for 5 of it.

And taking the stock back off to but the pistol grip back on doesn't erase the tax violation.
Thanks for clarifying that. I learn something every day on here!
Old February 13, 2010, 13:44   #7
larphred
Registered

FALaholic #: 1555
But building an 11" pistol on an FAL receiver, as long as there is no forward vertical grip should be legal. When Form 1 comes back a buttstock can be purchased and attached. Am I right? Sure hope so.
Michael O'Sullivan was my great friend. But I don't ever remember telling him that. The words that are spoken at a funeral are spoken too late for the man who is dead. What a wonderful thing it would be to visit your own funeral. To sit at the front and hear what was said, maybe say a few things yourself. Michael and I grew old together. But at times, when we laughed, we grew young. If he was here now, if he could hear what I say, I'd congratulate him on being a great man, and thank him for being a friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--the forty-four spoke and it sent lead and smoke, and seventeen inches of flame.
----Marty Robbins
larphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2010, 11:04   #8
Artful
Registered

FALaholic #: 10191
Your right - lots of people do a pistol build then form 1 to SBR then attach stock - great way to do so for a AMD-65 build - the FAL with the recoil spring out the back side may be another matter unless doing a para setup.
Old February 15, 2010, 12:09   #9
larphred
Registered

FALaholic #: 1555
Art--I went with Falcon Arms alloy para lower and their bolt carrier/spring setup. Haven't gotten it up and running yet, but soon.
If the efficiency of this place would improve, I'd post a pic, since I paid my contributor dues long ago, but I guess we have to live with what we have.
Michael O'Sullivan was my great friend. But I don't ever remember telling him that. The words that are spoken at a funeral are spoken too late for the man who is dead. What a wonderful thing it would be to visit your own funeral. To sit at the front and hear what was said, maybe say a few things yourself. Michael and I grew old together. But at times, when we laughed, we grew young. If he was here now, if he could hear what I say, I'd congratulate him on being a great man, and thank him for being a friend.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--the forty-four spoke and it sent lead and smoke, and seventeen inches of flame.
----Marty Robbins
larphred is offline   Reply With Quote