The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old December 01, 2006, 00:07   #1
ER

FALaholic #: 155
WTK: knife on "Man vs Wild" ?

either the dude on the Discovery Channel TV program has a bunch of them, or his knife is top shelf.(I know, he really ain`t "roughing it"....he has a "camera crew" with him the whole time. But, he does put himself in some bad places at times)

This guy, in many scenes where he`s building a shelter, lays the blade on a small tree/sapling, and pounds it thru with a rock. This crap happens week after week. I usually bend the tree till it`s touching the ground, then cut the trunk. He`s done that before, but for some reason feels the need to pound his knife thru the tree every week.

Is his knife that tough, or does his "camera crew" tote dozens for him to pound on? If it`s that tough, who makes it? Price?

Anybody else watch his show? I usually watch it since it comes on after the Everest program on Tuesdays.(THOSE guys are the crazy ones)

TIA

ER

"I don`t care where I`m going, I`m just here to ride the train"
Some bluegrass song I heard on the radio
ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2006, 11:38   #2
thunderchicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 7650
I watch it and laugh myself incontinent. Follow that guys advice and the wild will almost certainly win. His obsession with climbing down water falls is my favorite. I have no idea what sort of knife he uses, but imagine he has a whole stack of them.
thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2006, 13:00   #3
Mad Dog 7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 4815
I have only watched one episode, where he supposedly parachuted into the Costa Rican rain forest with only a knife and water bottle....and a camera crew, of course.

I agree with thunderchicken, it should be a comedy, not a reality show. Anyone who would climb down a 60 ft high waterfall to save a little time is really stupid. The only thing worse than being lost in the wild is being lost in the wild with two broken legs and internal injuries.

A top-shelf knife would probably stand up to the abuse he gives it, but again, if this is the only tool you have and you are depending on it to save your life, are you going to beat the crap out of it with a rock??

It would be a much better show if it showed some useful survival skills, not Waterfall Rappeling 101.
MD
Old December 01, 2006, 20:08   #4
ER

FALaholic #: 155
Quote:
watch it and laugh myself incontinent
as do most people who watch it, I`d imagine. His excuses for "waterfall climbing" are rather rediculous, as was his recent episode of eating the salmon raw when he had the provisions to make fire and properly cook the damn thing

Like MD762 said......IF he was ACTUALLY alone, would he beat the crap outta the only knife he had?

BTW.....the Everest series is 2 thumbs up........

"I don`t care where I`m going, I`m just here to ride the train"
Some bluegrass song I heard on the radio
ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 01, 2006, 21:26   #5
RT
Registered

FALaholic #: 9330
it look's like a gerber gator. in the hawaii show. that guy is a dumbass. special forces my ass~R
Old December 04, 2006, 07:34   #6
mosbysmen

FALaholic #: 782
how many people belive he could sharpen a knife like he did on the rain forest show...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

"when you have integrity..... nothing else matters
when you don't have integrity.... nothing else matters"
Teach The Children This Simple Principle.... Bob Kelly

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride
l
mosbysmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2006, 10:02   #7
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
Sounds like the Director wants at least some semblance of action to spice things up. Conserving your resources(don't abuse your only knife) and playing safe(no waterfall rappelling) make for dull TV. Reality ? more like "Survivor" R & D with this guy and his crew heading to their trailers after filming. You can take chances if you KNOW you are getting out.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2006, 10:48   #8
thunderchicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 7650
Quote:
Originally posted by mosbysmen
how many people belive he could sharpen a knife like he did on the rain forest show...
was that where he smashed up the rock into a half assed abrasive and spread it on a stick? I wet myself. The whole time I'm thinking "dude, you have a rock why not just use that if you are so desperate for a little more edge to abuse on your knife?" My favorite is still the Moab show: Peeing on his shirt, eating eggshells because he "needs the calcium," swimming under log jams of uncertain structure, climbing chimney style out of slot canyons. That guy is a special kind of dumb, heaven help those who follow his advice.
thunderchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2006, 11:34   #9
mosbysmen

FALaholic #: 782
how long do you think his pee hat stayed wet , then all he had was a salty ,stinky headress...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

"when you have integrity..... nothing else matters
when you don't have integrity.... nothing else matters"
Teach The Children This Simple Principle.... Bob Kelly

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride
l
mosbysmen is offline   Reply With Quote