The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition > Reloading Data

Notices

Old November 11, 2006, 17:30   #1
b-dog
Registered

FALaholic #: 19671
Reloding newby needs some [??] answered...

I'm coming into some reloading equipment (sorry no details on make / model) and with the disappearance of 762x51 surplus of course have a new found interest in reloading. So here goes a few newby questions:

1.) as far as price per round: I'm figuring the following:

Brass: $55 / 1000 rounds
Bullets: $55 / 1000
Primers $17.50 / 1000
Powder: $72

So price per round would be around .20 cents.

Prices were from different sources mostly hi-techammo.com and I haven't had a chance to shop around for better deals yet.

does this sound reasonable?

2) My relative who's giving me this equipment threw out his reloading books OOOHHHH!!! So can anyone recommend any? I'm not looking to shoot match grade ammo right now although something w/ these recipes wouldn't be a bad idea to have. My re-loading philosophy right now is "Shoot reloads - save the stock of surplus".

3.) If you have any sources that offer great deals please let me know.

Thanks,

-Brian
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2006, 17:38   #2
brownknees
Registered

FALaholic #: 14917
If you'r ONLY planning on reloading .308 then get the .308 load book from Midway.
It is a listing of all the available data from all the major reloading manuals for just that one cartrige.
Can't beat it for just a few bucks.
brownknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2006, 21:06   #3
English Mike
Registered

FALaholic #: 11339
"IF" your brass isn't beat to shit, so that you can reuse it, then you'll be saving even more.
Looks to me like ggiilliiee's ejector mod's are worth a try.

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common: They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.
English Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006, 22:55   #4
younggun
Registered

FALaholic #: 18437
Re: Reloding newby needs some [??] answered...

Quote:
Originally posted by b-dog
I'm coming into some reloading equipment (sorry no details on make / model) and with the disappearance of 762x51 surplus of course have a new found interest in reloading. So here goes a few newby questions:

1.) as far as price per round: I'm figuring the following:

Brass: $55 / 1000 rounds
Bullets: $55 / 1000
Primers $17.50 / 1000
Powder: $72

So price per round would be around .20 cents.

Prices were from different sources mostly hi-techammo.com and I haven't had a chance to shop around for better deals yet.

does this sound reasonable?

2) My relative who's giving me this equipment threw out his reloading books OOOHHHH!!! So can anyone recommend any? I'm not looking to shoot match grade ammo right now although something w/ these recipes wouldn't be a bad idea to have. My re-loading philosophy right now is "Shoot reloads - save the stock of surplus".

3.) If you have any sources that offer great deals please let me know.

Thanks,

-Brian
I am assuming that you are talking about buying a 8# keg of powder according to me calculations (scary, and prolly wrong) that could do 56000 rounds. and when I redo the math it comes out to be about 12.8 cents per round. I've rounded high as to make my $ per round higher, someone my be along shortly to discredit me. Yes, I'm planning on getting into reloading and have done just enough reading to make me very dangerous.
Old November 26, 2006, 23:04   #5
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Re: Re: Reloding newby needs some [??] answered...

Quote:
Originally posted by younggun

I am assuming that you are talking about buying a 8# keg of powder according to me calculations (scary, and prolly wrong) that could do 56000 rounds. and when I redo the math it comes out to be about 12.8 cents per round. I've rounded high as to make my $ per round higher, someone my be along shortly to discredit me. Yes, I'm planning on getting into reloading and have done just enough reading to make me very dangerous.
An eight pound keg has 56000 grains of powder. If you figure the normal load at around 45 gr per round, that's 1244 rounds per keg...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2006, 23:17   #6
shootist87122
Registered

FALaholic #: 7202
Your prices on components are low on all counts, IMO, unless it's all surplus stuff and even then you are low by half on processed military brass. However, your finished product cost of .20/each is doable depending on what you buy and if you buy in bulk. If you order powder or primers you get stuck with a $20 hazmat fee plus there is also freight (or sales tax if you buy local).

Seirra, Hornady, Hodgdon & Lyman all have excellent reloading manuals. It's best to have a couple with Seirra or Hornady being the best (IMO). The caliber specific "Load BooK' is also a good and would make a nice 2nd reference since it lists data from all the majors (some of it may be outdated, btw). Remember you must reduce powder charges considerably VS the book loads if you use military brass and/or substitute a magnum primer for a standard primer. Always start on the safe side and "work up".

$.02
said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
it is by our own feathers, not others hands,
are we now smitten."
-Aeschylus
shootist87122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2006, 23:14   #7
younggun
Registered

FALaholic #: 18437
Re: Re: Re: Reloding newby needs some [??] answered...

Quote:
Originally posted by ftierson

An eight pound keg has 56000 grains of powder. If you figure the normal load at around 45 gr per round, that's 1244 rounds per keg...

Forrest
We're going for some super light sub-sonic loads.