The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old September 10, 2006, 16:51   #1
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Is all your canning done?

Was just thinking about this today as I was finishing up my last batch of jam for the year. Had already done others but the store had Peaches on sale so I said WTF. I did pick up a small carton of Strawberries and now we have some Peach/Strawberry jam to try this year.

Next up in a month or so is the pressure canner to do some meats since I am not a big fan of using it in the middle of summer and I have that option at this point in time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peachstrawberry.jpg (43.2 KB, 1828 views)
Old September 10, 2006, 17:12   #2
kycrawler
Registered

FALaholic #: 19787
nope , apples are just now ready here i have a 4 year old that loves apple sauce and glazed apples
kycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 17:19   #3
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
I'e got a half bushel of COncord Grapes to make jell out of. I picked 'em last Thurs and stuck 'em in the fridge...no time to do it no with all else that's going on.
Hope to get to them this week yet

Paul
Old September 10, 2006, 17:47   #4
scaldwellk
Registered

FALaholic #: 11407
Man I would love to know how to cann. I have a pear and a apple tree and a grape vine. Jelly would be great. How do you do it?
scaldwellk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 18:09   #5
deerollman
Registered

FALaholic #: 18699
i too would love to start. there was a newspaper article here in urban NC recently, about people canning. apparently there is no distributor in the entire county for the supplies. maybe ebay?
deerollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 18:21   #6
Deltaten
Registered

scaldwellk:

Just go tothe grocery and buy a box of Certo pectin for making jelly. Directions (out the wazoo) on the box. Lotsa receipes on the net, too. I'm gonna try the "cold pack" process for mine, seems easier.

I'm also gonna use the food strainer/grinder we got a few yr ago for applesauce. It spits out the seeds and peels on apples, so I figger it might do the same for grapes?

Stem, clean and sort out the bad ones; cook/blanche a bit in pot; process thru grinder; back in pot just to boil; add sugar, then Certo (might not be in right order..from memory!); pour into boiled jars and close loosely. Let cool and check for seal.

Sound right, Jerry?

Done Time to eat Jam!
Paul
Old September 10, 2006, 19:57   #7
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Deltaten
scaldwellk:

Just go tothe grocery and buy a box of Certo pectin for making jelly. Directions (out the wazoo) on the box. Lotsa receipes on the net, too. I'm gonna try the "cold pack" process for mine, seems easier.

I'm also gonna use the food strainer/grinder we got a few yr ago for applesauce. It spits out the seeds and peels on apples, so I figger it might do the same for grapes?

Stem, clean and sort out the bad ones; cook/blanche a bit in pot; process thru grinder; back in pot just to boil; add sugar, then Certo (might not be in right order..from memory!); pour into boiled jars and close loosely. Let cool and check for seal.

Sound right, Jerry?

Done Time to eat Jam!
Paul
Bout right Paul. Jams, jellies are a "cold pack" along with Tomatoes/fruit and acidic items.

A batch for me is 2qts of fruit. 6-1/2-7-1/2 cups of sugar, lemon juice. Put into pot and bring to a boil on high heat. add Pectin and stir for a min or so. Prep jars/fill/lids and put into pot. process/remove/let cool/remove bands. Jam/jelly is ready in a week or so. Makes 12 6oz jars.

For those of you that want to start. Just go get one of the big blue 18-20qt pots. Buy jars, sugar, and any of the pectin at the store. there will be instructions in the box for all kinds of fruit.

I had not canned for 20 years but it all came back to me in a hurry. BTW our local Kroger has bunches of jars, lids and supplies. I get my jars by scanning the "thrifty nickle" I just did pick up 2 cases of wide mouth qts (still sealed) and 3 cases of assorted jam/jelly jars for $3 a case. New they are $9-11.

Last edited by jerrymrc; September 10, 2006 at 20:04.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 20:03   #8
dirtyrice
Registered

FALaholic #: 20129
mmm peach strawberry jam sounds delicious. i should try that out sometime also. i can get very fresh and GREAT tasting peaches and cherries from the local farmers market way cheaper than the fancy grocery stores too and way fresher than any other chain grocery.
dirtyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 20:14   #9
Deltaten
Registered

It just tickles me pink that we're all so damm'd domestic

THe hunting/butchering threads; Beer/wine production; gardens and waterfalls; then the food/gourmet threads...now this!

We do it all!

"And a Country Boy can survive"...as long as there's jam on the menu
Old September 10, 2006, 20:17   #10
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I've been contemplating canning for the past few weeks - I am particularly interested in pickling peppers as peppers and tomatos are two plants I seem able to not kill.

But I've been wondering just how cost effective it is?

Whats the shelf life?

Whats the setup cost?

Adding in the labor and the material cost - and the variable of whether you're growing your own food or not - isn't it cheaper o just buy professionally canned stuff?

I occasionally do charity work at our local cannery and I just can't see how doing it at home can compete with the 30 cans a minute even a small peach preserve line can turn out.

I recognise it as valuable skill to have, but question it on the basis of cost effective food storage.
Old September 10, 2006, 20:17   #11
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtyrice
mmm peach strawberry jam sounds delicious. i should try that out sometime also. i can get very fresh and GREAT tasting peaches and cherries from the local farmers market way cheaper than the fancy grocery stores too and way fresher than any other chain grocery.
I buy most of my canning fruits when they are in season and cheap. Here in Colorado some items are only out there for a couple of weeks at the farmers markets. Pickles I do every other year. 24 qts lasts us 2 years. I'm going home to Oregon in a couple of weeks so the Strawberry jam I canned last month gets the taste test. My mom still cans but not as much as she use to.
Old September 10, 2006, 20:25   #12
dirtyrice
Registered

FALaholic #: 20129
cool right now i'm more looking into dehydrating fruits for storage. but yea the best sweetest tasting peaches i've ever had were from the farmers market. and its always good to support the local economy.
dirtyrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 20:57   #13
Deltaten
Registered

Mark:
*IF* ya have the stuff and the produce to hand; it makes sense to do it. Factor in the labor costs, as it were, and it does not. Some of it is the satisfaction of knowing that you CAN do it, if need be. I know you can relate to that.

I just so happen to have a crate or two of canning jars in th basement, a large s.s stock pot and a grape arbor. Only natural to combine them for some self-satisfying work that results in a great treat that will last thru winter.

The local farmer has a peach orchard. He says that the good canning peaches will be in this week. I'm gonna pick up enough to do a dozen or so quarts.

M-m-m-m-m! Fresh (canned) peach cobbler for Christmas Dinner dessert.

A dozen 8 oz. jelly jars runs about $8.00 'round here. $2.50 for the sugar and $3 for the Pectin. Fruit's free, so my end cost is pretty low.

'Bout as cost effective as reloading or building yer own FAL

Give it a try! One more skill set for yer book
Paul
Old September 10, 2006, 20:59   #14
spatin
Likes FALs

FALaholic #: 17469
OK now that you have opened the question, I have been thinking about how to can meats, i.e., beef, chicken, elk (if I'm lucky this year) and other protein like that. The day may come when we can't just keep the next several meals in the freezer and I wanted to learn how to can it in jars.

Is that difficult to do?

I have been reading up on it and it looks like canning meat and other non acidic items are a little bit more trickey than canning things like veggies and fruits.

Sidney
spatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 23:22   #15
kycrawler
Registered

FALaholic #: 19787
i have some tomato's and green beans that didnt get rotated and are 5 years old and are still fine peaches , apple sauce,and jam never make it that long if you do can write the year on the lid with a prem marker

home canning lets you know whats in your food when i lived at home with my parents money was tight and we canned all of our fruits and veggies and did our own butchering/ smoking now i have a family of my own and still do some canning and help my dad butcher a beef and 3-4 hogs every year About the only thing we bought was bread milk flour sugar and breakfast cereal wish i still had the time to do it all myself
kycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006, 23:55   #16
olsarg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9625
We have several pressure canners. They are cheap used. Also replaced al the enamel pots with stainless steel no probllum with chipping. Have a few hundred jars. For water bath canning we use mayonase jars as they don't get heated as hot as when pressure canning. Canning is easy IF you can follow directions. We can fruit veggys and meat. meat takes 90 minutes in a pressure canner after it is up to presure. We buy bacon or any type of meat on sale and can it. Generally 1 lb to a pint jar. My canner holds 19 pints so we cook 19 meals at a 90 minute time. Best use for cheap beef roasts ect. We even can hamburgers. lwhen you want it you open the jar and heat or if need be eat it cold, its cooked and delicious. No need to be refrigerated so safe even with out power. great way to store large amounts. If you can it you know whats in it. and no illegal with tb ect handled it. For deer we pack cubed meat and top the jar with a chunk of beef tallow kids call it v for veal.
olsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006, 10:23   #17
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
I have about 200 quarts put up so far. Apples and pears aren't ready yet. tomatoes are just starting, have a sink full right now.

I do:
elderberry jelly, tastes like a cross between raspberry and grape-12 qts
Dill Pickles, 20-30 qts
Pickled peppers, 40-50 pints
Pickled beets, 30-40 Qts
Green beans, 40 qts
green tomatoe and pepper salsa, 30 pts
Red salsa, 10-20 qts
tomatoes, have about 20 qts up, probably do 30 more.

I did about 100 qts of apple sauce last year, about 1/2 gone, not sure if I am going to do more this year.

I'll likely do 40 qts of pears, I did 20 last year and they were gone quick, they take a lot of work to clean IMHO.

peas and corn aren't worth doing when you can buy them for 30 cents a can, but if the SHTF, I know how.

All my produce came out of my garden, or off the family orchard 2 miles away.

as far as cost, figure lids at 8-10 cents each, you shouldn't reuse them.

Jars and rings will cost you 60-80 cents the first time, but will last nearly forever. These are a great thing to pick up at yard sales, I got most of mine for a dime or less.

A basic hot water bath is less than $20. A pressure cooker is $70-100.

I can only load so much ammo and build so many guns when I am home watching the kids, canning/gardening gives me another outlet.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006, 15:47   #18
Hole_Puncher
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17699
I was wondering when someone would start a post about canning.

So far we have:

tomatoes 28 quarts probably do 7 more
garlic dill pickles 7 quarts & 7 pints plus 1 each fresh pack
string beans 14 pints

also have some stuff left from last year.

Mark and anyone else who mentioned wanting to learn how to can. The best thing to do is get a canning book. You can get them from the following site which used to be part of Ball the canning jar makers.

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/

Canning is not that hard but make sure you follow the instructions. Its important to follow all details.

Starting with something like tomatoes that has a high acid content is good because its pretty hard to mess them up. Also if do not get them right they let you because in about 10 days it starts oozing out of the jars and it smells pretty bad.

To me there is nothing better than opening a jar of tomatoes or pickles in the winter and smelling your garden from the previous summer!
Hole_Puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006, 16:19   #19
LAFAL
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 85
Yep, done for this year. Have 15 2 ltr bottles of various juices in the freezer left over from the jelly I made and managed to can 12 quarts of greenbeans/yellow wax beans/small potatoes, 14 pints of same, 12 pints of tomatoes for stews and gumbos, 12 rabbits in the freezer plus the buffalo, fallow deer and pig. I would be out picking up muskadines right now if I wasn't 4 weeks after a major back surgery.
oh, I forgot to mention the 4 gallons of root beer and 5 gallons of english nutty brown ale I bottled the day before the surgery
Old September 11, 2006, 20:36   #20
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by spatin
OK now that you have opened the question, I have been thinking about how to can meats, i.e., beef, chicken, elk (if I'm lucky this year) and other protein like that. The day may come when we can't just keep the next several meals in the freezer and I wanted to learn how to can it in jars.

Is that difficult to do?

I have been reading up on it and it looks like canning meat and other non acidic items are a little bit more trickey than canning things like veggies and fruits.

Sidney
Im going to be canning meats in October Sidney. Have to show you how and you are always welcome to use my pressure canner. 7 Qts at a time.
Old September 11, 2006, 20:53   #21
spatin
Likes FALs

Thanks for the offer Jerry. I'd like to do that. About how long does it take and (2) would there be time for me to can some of my own under your supervision?
Sidney
Old September 11, 2006, 22:12   #22
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Jerry. I'd like to do that. About how long does it take and (2) would there be time for me to can some of my own under your supervision?
Sidney
Not a problem. Depending on what you want to can, ground/chopped/cubed meat takes 90 min at our altitude. Cook, fill process runs about 2hours for the first batch. I will get in contact about it when I get back on the 11th.
Old September 11, 2006, 22:22   #23
spatin
Likes FALs

That works for me. I'll be out from 10/14 - 10/21 due to a mandatory ordered trip to Cozumel to teach some scuba diving (oh how boring), but I'll be back for the canning right after that!
Let me know what I need to buy and bring to the session.
Sidney
Old September 13, 2006, 18:50   #24
Deltaten
Registered

Jerry, et al:

UPDATE...

Just did up my grapes!

Everything in the kichen is BLUE !!!

Went well. lotsa extra grape sauce. I didn't realize just how much juice/sauce a 3/4 grocery bag of raw grapes would make, so I blanched 'em all and processed 'em. Ended up with 8 cups.

Only had enough 8 oz. jelly jars for half, so I went conservative (what else ) and did half a batch. Other than mis-laying most of my tools and having a sink full of pots, cups, grinder parts and lotsa "blue" towels; I did OK

Tastes great! All the lids "popped" as they were s'psed to and thier coolig now. When the rest of the batch is done, I'll have enough jelly for most of the year.

Peach jam and preserves are next!

Paul

Last edited by Deltaten; September 13, 2006 at 19:01.
Deltaten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006, 20:40   #25
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Deltaten
Jerry, et al:

UPDATE...

Just did up my grapes!

Everything in the kichen is BLUE !!!

Went well. lotsa extra grape sauce. I didn't realize just how much juice/sauce a 3/4 grocery bag of raw grapes would make, so I blanched 'em all and processed 'em. Ended up with 8 cups.

Only had enough 8 oz. jelly jars for half, so I went conservative (what else ) and did half a batch. Other than mis-laying most of my tools and having a sink full of pots, cups, grinder parts and lotsa "blue" towels; I did OK

Tastes great! All the lids "popped" as they were s'psed to and thier coolig now. When the rest of the batch is done, I'll have enough jelly for most of the year.

Peach jam and preserves are next!

Paul
Thats Cool. I will save some jam for Falfest 2007 to have on the table in the morning. I never thought about it this year.
Old September 20, 2006, 15:27   #26
Auslander
Registered

FALaholic #: 262
Kind of OT but I bottle my stuff

Kind of OT but I bottle my stuff.

I have about 6 gallons of English bitter in quart bottles and 9 gallons of Holiday Cream Ale in 'long necks'.

My primary and secondary fermentors are empty right now. It has been too hot the last couple of months to mash out and boil. I have a Medium Scot Ale all milled out vacuum bagged and ready on deck for the next boil.
Auslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2006, 22:57   #27
I_Love_Fals
Registered

FALaholic #: 7637
The wife and I started canning as another one of our preps.

I did research on how effective canning was and the cost of it.

It is not cost effective if you have to buy the ingredients and labor.

But canning was EXTREAMLY popular, during the great depression, WW2, and the inflationary 70's.

Seams that it gets popular anytime people want to SURVIVE CHEAPLY!

In fact according to my research there was an extreme canning lid shortage in the 70's.

Farm families can use a LOT of jars and lids. Here is some info I found.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/primitive/howmanycansa.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=8vq...ct=result&cd=1

Some farm families could go through 1000+ a year easy just in meat.

We have an All American canner (941) and will be ordering a 921 soon.

I feel bad that we have told the local Wal-Mart that we have a canning club going, but they wanted an answer and they really did not want me to pull out my NukAlert. So far 3 Wal-Mart’s are deserted on canning stuff, we will have to move on the greener pastures soon.

BUY UP THOSE LIDS (Lids only store 5 years due to rubber according to the manufacture)

There is also salt preservation we will be doing that next.

So you got a BUNCH of FAL mags, How many Lids does everyone have?
I_Love_Fals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2006, 09:05   #28
mosbysmen

FALaholic #: 782
how long does canned meat store ?
what a great thread..

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
¯ Mark Twain

"when you have integrity..... nothing else matters
when you don't have integrity.... nothing else matters"
Teach The Children This Simple Principle.... Bob Kelly

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride
l
mosbysmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2006, 12:24   #29
olsarg
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 9625
Home canned meat last several years. I am still eating comercial canned bacon from 70s Have home canned that is 10 years old. Most of the meat gets ate in a year if you rotate. We prefire glass canned to tins but glass adds wieght and don't travel as good. We can 19 pints at a time in our all American 925. Saves energy and just open and heat when you want it in a hurry and its good cold if need be. around here we get about a pound of meat in a pint.
olsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2006, 23:34   #30
v188
Registered

FALaholic #: 1154
I wonder if I am the only one who cans jelly with parafin wax??

I don't mess with the lids. I just boil up my fruit with sugar and pectin and pour into clean jars. I then pour in liquid parafin and let it sit. The wax comes to the top and works great. I will sometimes then put a lid on it, but just to keep anything from puncturing the wax while storing in the shelf.
Old March 02, 2007, 23:56   #31
spatin
Likes FALs

How can I get rid of that unsightly 3 inch ring around the bottom of my aluminum pressure canner? I know I should have put in some vinegar to avoid it, but what works good to remove it after it is already there? (Other than elbow grease and steel wool)
Sidney
Old March 02, 2007, 23:59   #32
spatin
Likes FALs

I-Love-FALs wrote:
"BUY UP THOSE LIDS (Lids only store 5 years due to rubber according to the manufacture)"

Most county extension agents will tell you that they are only good for one year. Maybe they get a commission or something on sales of lids.

Does anyone know of a way to store new lids so that they will last longer, maybe even longer than 5 years?

How about storing them in a dark closet in vacuum sealed plastic bags with one of those vacuum sealing thingie devices?

Sidney
Old March 19, 2007, 19:27   #33
Sanders
Registered

FALaholic #: 20427
Does anyone know if there are special precautions to take when pressure canning at high altitudes?

I just got a pressure canner, and someone told me I might have problems because of the altitude I live at - ~6,800 ft.
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007, 19:57   #34
Deltaten
Registered

Sanders:

Man, it's been a while; but IIRC..

It takes longer to boil the water and a higher heat to make it boil...IOW water boils at 212 degrees AT SEA LEVEL. At elevations, the actual BP is higher. I would imagine that the mfgr of the canner would have a chart available
Old March 19, 2007, 21:33   #35
ThunderGod
Banned

FALaholic #: 7196
Other way 'round, delta10. Water boils at a lower temp the higher you go; so it evaporate before reaching cooking-temp. Pressure cookers somewhat negate this effect.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007, 00:09   #36
spatin
Likes FALs

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanders
Does anyone know if there are special precautions to take when pressure canning at high altitudes?

I just got a pressure canner, and someone told me I might have problems because of the altitude I live at - ~6,800 ft.
Check with the county extension service where you live. I am at about 6500 feet and I use the same time for pressure canning but 15 psi instead of 10 psi. For boiling water canning, the boil temperature is lower so we use longer times.

I'm far from being anything remotely close to an expert, but draw upon the experience of the people at the extension service and you won't go wrong.

Sidney
Old March 21, 2007, 09:57   #37
Sanders
Registered

Thanks for the info - I always forget about the county extension service for such things as canning, animal care, and gardening. It's a great resource that not enough people take advantage of.
Old March 21, 2007, 11:00   #38
spatin
Likes FALs

I was pretty impressed with what was available through the extension service, for nothing, or for just some minimal fee. I'll be taking some classes out there in April to get some education on high altitude gardening.
Sidney
Old March 22, 2007, 10:19   #39
Sanders
Registered

I got a book on preserving meat, and there's a large section on canning. They quote the USDA reccommendation as increasing the psi by 1 lb for every thousand feet above 2,000 feet above sea level. So that puts me at 14 psi for my altitude.
Old March 22, 2007, 12:36   #40
spatin
Likes FALs

14 psi sounds about right. That's the pressure for my altitude at 6000 elevation. But I use 15 psi, since my pressure canner seems to like 15 more than 14. More is better.
Sidney
Old May 23, 2007, 14:41   #41
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Quote:
How can I get rid of that unsightly 3 inch ring around the bottom of my aluminum pressure canner? I know I should have put in some vinegar to avoid it, but what works good to remove it after it is already there? (Other than elbow grease and steel wool)
Sidney
Mom had this happen when I was growing up and helping her can food. We just let the pot sit in a vinegar/water solution and it took it right out. Can't remember if it was an aluminum or steel pot, tho...
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2007, 19:58   #42
jerrymrc
Registered

It's time again. Beans are in season 50 cents a lb. I get about 8 pints from 4-1/2 lbs. The part I hate..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 029 (750 x 563).jpg (91.7 KB, 984 views)
Old August 04, 2007, 20:03   #43
jerrymrc
Registered

Making the pressure cooker earn it's keep. I get more out of a pint I can than a 15oz store bought can. One pint is just right for the two of us where a 15oz can leaves us wanting for more. If i can get more good beans later this week I may even try some with extras like onions and bacon this year. I hope to put up about 24 pints this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 030 (750 x 563).jpg (89.9 KB, 986 views)
Old August 05, 2007, 06:45   #44
jerrymrc
Registered

time for day two.
Old August 05, 2007, 17:36   #45
jerrymrc
Registered

Spent about 1-1/2 hours this morning and finished up the rest of what I had.

12 pints and 2 quarts for about $5 after counting the lids. I may do some more on wed.

whoops. my status expired no pic's till it gets updated.
Old August 05, 2007, 22:01   #46
spatin
Likes FALs

So how many cans of green beans did you process?

I'm waiting for my green beans to start producing in the garden, then I should have lots to do.

Where did you get green beans for $.50 a pound?

Sidney
Old August 06, 2007, 05:32   #47
jerrymrc
Registered

Quote:
So how many cans of green beans did you process?

I'm waiting for my green beans to start producing in the garden, then I should have lots to do.

Where did you get green beans for $.50 a pound?

Sidney
12 pints/2 quarts. I got the beans at the farmers market.
Old August 11, 2007, 06:19   #48
jerrymrc
Registered

Well I got more beans but I am done for this year. Total was 20 pints and 7 Quarts. Pickles are next.
Old August 14, 2007, 21:00   #49
jay.sharkbait
Sleeps with the Fishes

FALaholic #: 29659
this is a great thread

doing zucchini chutney tonight

tomatos are still green here (wa cascades)

bait
jay.sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2007, 22:12   #50
spatin
Likes FALs

Hi Group. I've been lurking around and enjoying the comments about canning and other stuff that passes on this thread.

I did a garden this year (Colorado Springs, CO) and I am "swimming" in squash and zuchinni (planted both seed packs in one 4x10 raised bed so you can imagine the forest). I got tired of eating squash, so I decided to try to can some.

I read that pressure canning squash and zuchinni just results in a yucky mess in a jar, but I do see some interesting recipes for pickling squash/zuchinni. However, most of the recipes I see have a lot of sugar in the recipe, so I suppose the end result is pretty sweet. With my blood sugar as high as it is, I try to keep the sugar content pretty low, so I was wondering if anyone here has a recipe for low sugar or no sugar pickled squash/zuchinni?

I also like things that are dill pickled, so a recipe that would result in zuchinni that tastes like crunchy dill pickles would suit me just fine!

Thanks for your comments and recipes.
Sidney
Colorado Springs, CO