The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old June 21, 2001, 18:17   #1
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
Test Report..."It's Alive!" (or now I went and done it; cont'd.)

Well, those of you that expressed and interest in the continuing saga of the "shorty" R-1, stand by.....

Firing report:
All rounds loaded and ejected. Mucho blast, but not much more than any other "nekkid" bbl!dialed to 3.5 for first rds, then went to 5.5...still worked. Didn't want to press my luck, as the air in the basement was getting too dusty to see!

I didn't even hafta enlarge the port. Now at .09235". As a matter of fact, I didn't even close off the old port, just "let it bleed".
I did remove the third "knob"/spring stop to allow more piston travel, but that was it! Never got around to brazing the front end of the gas block, only about .005 gap around bbl, and NO gas bleed marks, so I guess it's sealed.

Now to finish it; grind off old gas area. Mebbe I'll just "ring" the flats to make it look like the bipod and sling swivel rings. The "ribbed" look! Wowsers!

Now the big Questions.... Will Parkerizing solution "eat" either brazing or silver solder?? AND.. Should I harden the piston rod where I cut it off, or is the entire piston rod hardened? It didn't seem to be too hard to cut!

Pics as soon as I can find a digi-cam!
Thank you for your indulgance.
Paul
Old June 22, 2001, 07:55   #2
stimpsonjcat
Windoze free since 1-2010
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Park won't damage or take on silver solder or braze.

All the pistons I ever ground on seemed hardened...except the century (go figure).

You moved your gas block? ummm...wow...

"Your 8mm FAL is like a deuce coup with a Ferrari pancake 12 under the hood and a Jaguar rear end. It just kinda transcends cool into fantasy."- USMC 0341

"The stimpgewehr is the reason Waldo is hiding."- Kotengu

"The game is worth the candle...always been."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2001, 08:52   #3
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Impressive. I would love to see a picture of this. I was contemplating this very thing, but after posting some questions on this board a while back chickened out. How far back did you move the gas block? And what are you using for handguards?
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2001, 18:15   #4
Deltaten
Registered

Stimpy:

Yes! MMMMMM...good, MMMMM...good! Thanks for the info on braze/solder and parking.

Incognito:
I moved it back about 4". Not so hard to move, just removing the old "flat" was a pain in the ..., besides the bipod and sling "rings". Lotsa file work. Just couldn't get rid of the GB pin and HG bolt "notches" all the way.

This all started as a project to see if I could cut a set of HG down to DSA's "shorty" length, just to beat the $60 price tag. Mine are actually shorter by about an inch+!

I started working on the "para" bolt carrier and the mod'd lower today.

The next one will have shorty guards, but a long gas system, ala' AK !!

Pics asap( gotta buy a camera!)

Regards,
Paul
Old June 22, 2001, 21:41   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I just wanna see the pix of you firing the shorty FAL in your basement.

Mount a 35mm camera on a tripod. Turn off all the lights. Lock the shutter open, and commence to blastin'.

I wanna see the firing pix with the handguard off.

Your photo shop can put the pix on disk.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2001, 18:52   #6
Deltaten
Registered

gary.
Why would you want to see the photos of firing w/the HG off? I know!, just so you can see if I'm wearing Nomex gloves! . It just might be spittin' more flames outta the tube and/or the reciever. In that case, I'd hafta remove the TC and spring for ultra high-speed camera to catch the action operating
Besides, I don't think even a Hasselblad would take the abuse of the blast! A trip to the moon's nuttin' compared to the shock wave produced by a short bbl in a very small room.

I do think I'm gonna go the 35mm route. I've priced the digi-cams I'd like to have vs. 35mm flexibility and the price of 1 hr. prints AND disk format. The 35mm wins, hands down. I should be able to pick a good Minolta XG series up used for less than a mid range digital. Since the digi I want runs about $500 wholesale, I'm waaaay ahead on processing fees, and I can still "massage" the stuff from disk on photo shop.

Best,
Paul
Old October 29, 2001, 22:58   #7
Registered

FALaholic #: 4577
Well did it work, got pics yet?
58772239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 20:42   #8
Deltaten
Registered

Tim:

Oh, Yeah! It works

We are prolly goin out Sat to do some shooting. I'll Hafta buy a K-Mart box camera and get some pics. Takes about a week to process onto disc, so be patient.

Best,\
Paul
Old October 31, 2001, 12:23   #9
Registered

i cannot wait to see some pictures of this thing, i have a lathe, and mill, i think mine is next
Old October 31, 2001, 18:53   #10
Deltaten
Registered

Wow! With a lathe and mill, I'd be considered "dangerous" I could turn a kit into a pile of shavings pretty quick!

Should be a piece of cake w/the right tools. Turning/grinding down the factory GB was the worst part. Second was filing the bbl profile/taper to something approaching something "normal".

Weather's supposed to cooperate this w/e. Guess I'll try to find all the chopped bits to put in the pic with the truncated ones.

Regards,
Paul
Old November 01, 2001, 17:51   #11
Registered

the barrel where the gas block goes has a taper?, sounds fun, i have ordered one of the issued barrels and a new gas block from the people at tapco, just could not resist the chance to hack, i was wondering if i should spring for some of the dsa short handguards, or shorten a set of the metal ones, that would be really cool looking, wondering if i should try to silver solder them, or weld/grind method after chopping saw operation, oh, cool, what about a shortened bipod to match, wheels are turning again....
Old November 08, 2001, 18:35   #12
Registered

i got my barrel/gasblock today, time to hack, anyone got a set of the steel handguards suitable for chopping?
Old November 09, 2001, 18:05   #13
Deltaten
Registered

Tim:
Caught in the act over on the "weld-a-bbl" thread. SO, how'd the hack-job go?

Wasn't it you I was chatting with about the HG nut coming apart, in "handguards" thread? I thought it was. If so, why not just use those for cutting, since they'll need to be welded/soldered anyway? If not you; find the thread and swap your's for his.
I like the way the fiberglass R-1s "weld" w/J-B weld, not as rapid, but a cut household appliance cord don't cut it as a welder!

AS far as the GB flat goes; I'd go w/the sleeve job. Nothing more exotic than a piece of pipe of the right size. Chrome/Moly would be great, but as needs must.....
Just set it all up, jig to align, and solder away. Bore gas bleed hole, and you're off.

Regards,
Paul

ps: took pics last w/e, still havn't got 'em "disc'd" yet (I don't wanna waste half a roll of film ) Hope they come out. Took two sets, one outdoor and one indoors. Lotsa work setting all those pieces up; they kept rolling off the table!
Old November 09, 2001, 23:28   #14
Registered

how big did you bore the gas hole?, mine turned out good, i just turned down the barrel to the right size for a good press fit, and pressed it on, i did notice that the barrel was pretty warped when i chucked it up in the lathe, a lot of runout, 1/4 inch, so i cut it off ata a point before it was bent, 13 inches or so, i spun up a muzzle thingy, pressed it on, and did the pin/weld job on it, overall length is 16.25 inches, the gas block is about four inches to the rear, cannot buy the dsa handguards, have to find another set, i am not the one with the damaged threads that you talked to, i do want a set of steel handguards for it, and i am also going to cut down a bipod just for kicks and giggles, i tried to post a pic or two, but it did not work, how should i fit the gas piston?, eyeball and chop?