The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old October 16, 2005, 12:09   #1
Deltaten
Registered

FALaholic #: 124
Mini-fire extinguisher??

I recall years ago, there was a very small, one-time-use, fire ext avail for cars/motorcycles.
I've spent hours on-line searching forsame. A bud sez tthat he uses a small-ish one in his jet-ski; but still too large for the MC. Saw a couple of 500cc types in a web page for Chinese mfgr, but would like smaller.
Somethinglike this would be ideal for emergencies, auto/MC use; and would fit in with other E-supplies in a survival/E-pack.

The one I'm thinking of was about the size of a medium Mace can, mebbe 6-7 in. hi and 1.5" in dia. Sure, it would be one, short shot; but better than nothing!

Anybody have a clue or link?

TIA,
Paul
Old October 16, 2005, 12:27   #2
Terick
Registered

FALaholic #: 3421
Have never seen one that was worth it's weight.

However there IS the old standby ...

A one pound box of good 'ol Arm & Hammer Baking Soda!
Terick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2005, 13:29   #3
Rick
Registered

FALaholic #: 74
I just saw one in hardware store. Kind of expensive at $20.00. The larger version goes for about half of that. The little one would be better than nothing but I'll relate a Sunday afternoon story. Recently i was out in the country and ahead of me at the intersection i could see a car being pulled on a flat bed trailer. The car was on fire. I had a fire extinguisher under the front seat and thought this is my chance to play fireman. I ran up and shot the exting thru the window, got the whole fire out except for a smoldering ball below the car. Looked liked burning plastic. If i had a little bigger exting i could have gotten that too but was out of "ammo". That smoldering bit relit the whole thing. I walked away realizing a bigger fire extinguisher can make a critical difference. The little ones are more convenient but in an emergency the bigger extinguisher is going to serve you well. At least that was the moral of the story for me. (or have two smaller ones?)
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2005, 14:18   #4
leek
Registered

FALaholic #: 16697
What you are thinking of are Halon fire extinguishers. Halon has been banned for general use . It is still available for aircraft but is very very expensive. A Canadian firm makes a Halon substitute which is ozone friendly but is very expensive. I have the extinguisher size you are talking of and I use it when I pilot a plane----------carry it in my flightbag. Sorry , no longer available.
leek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2005, 22:06   #5
Treborer
Registered

FALaholic #: 9148
Quote:
Originally posted by Terick
Have never seen one that was worth it's weight.

However there IS the old standby ...

A one pound box of good 'ol Arm & Hammer Baking Soda!
------------------------------------------
+100+, this is the stuff to have, it's what the put in "Dry Chemical Extinguishers". Also makes a good toothpolish, fair antacid, pot scrubber and deoderant.

Keep a few ~50cent boxes in a ziplock bag in every glovebox, next to stoves etc.

Armand Hammer was a commie, but he got rich selling American Soda. Well I guess he was actually one of the first Honest Globalists, and put his money where his mouth was.

Nice product.
Old October 16, 2005, 22:28   #6
'TUDE
Registered

FALaholic #: 704
The one I saw at walmart a couple of days ago was a little larger in diameter than a d-cell maglite and about 8-9 inches tall. I think the price was between $20 and $25. Oh, it was chrome too.

[/url]
'TUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2005, 14:24   #7
History Nut
Registered

FALaholic #: 15359
Small Fire Extinguisher

Two things:

First, I still have a "pocket size" extinguisher that I bought at a gun show years ago. It was a unique design. It was called a "Blaze Out" Halon Fire Extinguisher. It consists of two cylinders in a plastic case about 2"x3"x8" and really light. It was designed so that when you pushed the activator, both cylinders discharged together from seperate nozzles. I guess that created a larger stream of agent than one cylinder would. I was told by the salesman that they were based on a design used by Israeli tankers as a self-extinguisher after bailing out of a burning tank. I have not seen these for years and did a yahoo search without finding them. My guess is that between the agent(halon) and limited use design, they weren't a marketing/government approval success.

Second, as to carrying two small extinguishers in your car/truck making more sense than one large, I agree. Especially when it comes to stored pressure dry chemical extinguishers, once 'fired' the pressure slowly leaks out of the unit due to the chemical powder preventing a good seal of the valve. There could be lots of powder left but no pressure to discharge it. With two units, you could use one and have the other in reserve. Imagine your chagrin if you had just helped 'save' someone's car with your extinguisher and on the way home your own vehicle "lights up" and you don't have an extinguisher to save your own! With two units you would still have one to save your own vehicle. Back when I was on the FD, the Engine boys would always remark, when responding to a vehicle fire, that they were going to "save another chassis"! If you don't have an adequate extinguisher in each of your own vehicles, the FD (no fault of theirs) will probably not get there in time to really save your vehicle.

What I tend to carry is one large (5 or 10 pound) and one regular (2.5 pound) extinguisher in all my vehicles. If it is just an under hood fire, the 2.5 works great and the 5 pound one is still in reserve. If a vehicle is really starting to cook, the 5 pounder will probably do it with the 2.5 in reserve. Once it reaches the fuel tank, LEAVE! It isn't worth the risk at that point. Also don't EVER stand in front of the fuel filler! If the fuel starts to boil, it can blow off the cap and send a vapor cloud out like a flamethrower. Not a good place to stand

I hope this helps some. You can never have TOO MANY fire extinguishers. Sometimes volume retailers have sales so you can stock up without too much expense. Try to find ones with metal valves instead of plastic. They can be recharged by a fire extinguisher service company. I have over the years bought a few industrial surplus 2 1/2 gallon stored pressure water extinguishers for class A fires at home. They are great because I can recharge them myself and I definitely win any water fights that happen!
Old October 21, 2005, 23:35   #8
gunsmoke
Registered

FALaholic #: 14772
Re: Mini-fire extinguisher??

Quote:
Originally posted by Deltaten

Anybody have a clue or link?
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/p...y/fire_ext.htm

The dimensions are not mentioned but maybe you could email them and find out if this will meet your needs.

GOOD LUCK!!!
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2005, 10:00   #9
hso
Registered

FALaholic #: 15272
The problem is that "better than nothing" is incorrect thinking when it comes to fire. The wrong or insufficient fire extinguisher can be worse than nothing because it puts you in proximity to a fire that you can't knock down.

Many fires involving plastics/rubber/synthetics need to be cooled down to prevent reignition. You may extinguish the "fire" but because of the heat still in the materials it will reignite. This requires water or CO2. Dry chemicals and halon won't extinguish a tire fire. I've seen as many as 4 10 lb dry chemical fire extinguishers expended on a tire fire on a truck and the tire reignite.

If you have too small of a fire extinguisher you can find yourself in trouble. Partially extinguishing a fire only to have it flare up on you is very dangerous.

Often the best thing to do when a fire breaks out it to get away. If you don't have the correct type of fire extinguisher or the correct size or some minimal training you'll ony put yourself in danger.
hso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2005, 01:39   #10
Treborer
Registered

FALaholic #: 9148
Wife and I -circa 1978- were driving home after dining out, it was a back road in central California and we were in the Corvette pushing 130 mph when the lights went out and fire could be seen squeezing through the crack between the hood and the fenders.
I steered to the shoulder and stopped, we made a hasty exit, and the fire kinda eased up, cracked the hood and threw "Baking Soda" on the wiring harness that was a'flame and all was well.
Twenty seven cent fix.

If your gonna use a "Dry Chemical" extinguisher , soda is whats inside.

One evening I had the misfortune of watching two men burn to death, stuck in thier vehicle. My brother saved my life as I was full tilt running to thier car when the flames were small, he stopped me a split second before thier car expolded, they screamed for a long time.
If not for that moment I'd probably have little to do with my brother.

Halon, and Co2 are cool.
Old November 22, 2005, 01:58   #11
Da Nerd
Registered

FALaholic #: 10960
Altho I have been beaten to the punch, I will second or third the use of Baking Soda. I have several LARGE boxes in my survival stash.
Old August 17, 2006, 18:11   #12
Albin
Registered

FALaholic #: 12101
I did a group buy of 5 lb dry chemical FE's last June. We bought a total of about 65 FE's, IRC.

I had a small fire in my 4runner, which we quickly extinguished, while on a ride. When I went to the FE company to get it recharged, I asked about any good used FE's. Turns out they had about 100 5 lb FE's that had just been exchanged with an apartment complex. They were just over 12 years old and had just been rehydrotested and recharged, good for another 12 years.

I got them for $10 each.

Al
Albin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017, 19:50   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Cruising old threads and found this one, see picture.

These are small and will knock down a fair size flare up but not going to fight a structure fire or engulfed vehicle. Did snuff out a Harley-Davidson that was fully on fire due to rubber hose from fuel tank breaking and was dumping fuel as fast as could flow onto motor. Still had fuel running after fire went out but reached in and folded hose to stop fuel. I wear riding gloves with Nomex for fire protection. Think my current price is $99 each.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 14:32   #14
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Huey,do you sell these,are are you buying at that price? $99 is right around my distributor cost. I'd make nothing selling at that cost.
That one is whats called "halotron"
Amerex also makes a red version,not chrome.About $15 cheaper. Capacity is 1.4 lbs.
Honestly,that isn't very much. People used to come into the shop and ask the old man,"what size fire extinguisher do I need?" and he'd always answer,"how big a fire you gonna have?" Me,I'd rather end up with a half full unit after having knocked the fire out,than a half knocked out fire,and an empty unit.
Be extremely wary of any safety/fire related product made outside the U.S. Most what I've seen is absolute crap.Even Canada with their "Flag" line. POS....
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 16:51   #15
Guy-epic
Registered

FALaholic #: 70221
The EPA will take all the fun out of living

Halon was and is by far the single most effective way to extinguish a fire. So when it was banned can anyone guess who was given a exemption? Our government. I was just out at Luke Airforce base in AZ and they still have the massive 50 gallon firefighter carts filled with Halon everywhere you look. Those talks have to get serviced every few years, they places they service them are only allowed to have X amount of loss when they service them. So wrong that itís good for them, not us.
Old December 19, 2017, 18:03   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy-epic View Post
Halon was and is by far the single most effective way to extinguish a fire. So when it was banned can anyone guess who was given a exemption? Our government. I was just out at Luke Airforce base in AZ and they still have the massive 50 gallon firefighter carts filled with Halon everywhere you look. Those talks have to get serviced every few years, they places they service them are only allowed to have X amount of loss when they service them. So wrong that itís good for them, not us.
Well I think the CFC shit was the precursor to the climate change cult. It's a way to artificially drive up costs and line the pockets of those behind the changes.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2017, 20:15   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

My distributor is a big outfit and that is my case price for them last I bought. Been spring since bought last case so unsure if gone up. Saw them at a automotive race supply recently for $113 each for single units. Assume my discount will get them at previous price if can find just a few bucks more on net. One in saddle bag of every motorcycle or bolted to frame, in cab of all trucks and next to most computers. Like Dupont FE-36 better in big units.

Have big real Halon unit over several key pieces of equipment and in radio room. I buy from my supplier and if know you and a good customer it's no problem to get. Also all over fleabay but it's buyer beware. Notice the pictured unit is Halitron, not true Halon. If hit a wall buying just say it's going in a server room, marine or aircraft environment.

CO2 still has its place along with Stat-X products. They have pull pin and throw fire grenades if want to try and slow a fire without getting too close. They finally got UL approval. Had their European certifications for a long time. I am fire suppression freak. Fire is bad if not set on purpose.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old December 20, 2017, 07:59   #18
cotter
Registered

FALaholic #: 23754
Just a fyi along this thread, Kidde has a recall out right now that covers nearly all of their fire extinguishers they have made or made for somone else. I know I have a few around...
cotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 10:01   #19
RG Coburn
Registered

Halon is still widely available. It works okay. Electronics and enclosed spaces,though breathing becomes problematic. They use halon and similar in aircraft because using ABC powder in a plane gets between aluminum joints and you get problems with corrosion.
Here's another route you can go..
http://www.firefreeze.com/
Their videos are pretty impressive. I have some of the jugs of it in stock,but haven't tested it yet.
I do wish somebody came up with something to outright replace powder with,as its messy as hell,a pain to get rid of,and probably not the best thing to breathe,though they claim its not toxic.
Old December 22, 2017, 10:04   #20
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post

CO2 still has its place along with Stat-X products. They have pull pin and throw fire grenades if want to try and slow a fire without getting too close. They finally got UL approval. Had their European certifications for a long time. I am fire suppression freak. Fire is bad if not set on purpose.
Yes,I like and still sell CO2. Very practical in just about any garage or shop. Just sucks in class A department,but it will knock down class A if contained,like in a metal trash can.
Old December 23, 2017, 22:24   #21
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I keep a couple of ABCs in teh house but did not realize they were corrosive.

Last edited by Mebsuta; December 23, 2017 at 22:34.
Mebsuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2017, 22:10   #22
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Anybody know of something to put in water to make it a better fire extinguisher? Seriously, I have a couple of the big stainless fire extinguishers you pressurize with air after filling. Bought them to keep around when welding outside and stuff. I've been thinking there might be a do-it-yourself foam or something?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 07:31   #23
RG Coburn
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Anybody know of something to put in water to make it a better fire extinguisher? Seriously, I have a couple of the big stainless fire extinguishers you pressurize with air after filling. Bought them to keep around when welding outside and stuff. I've been thinking there might be a do-it-yourself foam or something?
A foam type extinguisher is basically the same as a pressurized water,but with a few differences,namely,the hose assembly.They uses a hose with a nozzle that creates the foam while it is being discharged.A pressurized water normally has a straight-stream nozzle made for concentrating a stream of water. Obviously,the contents are different. An agent is added to a given amount of water to create the chemical mix. You can also do anti-freeze for use out in the weather. Don't use automotive anti-freeze,as at certain concentrations,is considered a flammable,believe it or not. Even the sprinkler codes were changed to allow only pre-mixed concentration in anti-freeze,as some guys would use too strong concentrate and wouldn't be effective.
Water can be made "wetter" by just adding dish soap,which reduces it surface tension.
NFPA codes are pretty clear about "converting" extinguishers,and it says "do not".
Old December 25, 2017, 16:45   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Most of my equipment may as well let it burn as pop it with an ABC extinguisher. Have the number of ABC required by fire code and all are trained to use them only if need to escape building or last recourse to stop fire from going out of control. Our local codes don't recognize the Stat-X products yet but use mostly at house where fire suppression not required.

Have Stat-X automated extinguishers mounted in ceiling over reloading benches. Also over pain lockers at work. Automated Halon in radio room, server room and over CNC router. Machine shop equipment and welding areas of shop have lots of CO2 units. Have Dupont FE-36 hand helds mounted near all expensive equipment someone might decide to spray. Had a big dust fire blaze up on top of CNC router cutting really flammable material and got sucked up into dust collection system. One quick blast across table and second into dust collection hose pickup and fire was gone. Never shut machine down and job finished running like had no issues.

If have a lot of Halon in small rooms then a breath pack or a few need to be on wall so don't suffocate before can escape. If the breathing apparatus on an airplane deploys get it on fast. If plane has a fire and the Halon deploys your dead without oxygen to breathe. Halon is the only way to snuff a fire fast in the air or on sea where the ship goes down if fire destroys critical system. If fly a lot and pay attention to engines will on occasion notice flames, then gone and pilots feather it down. Talk very low when ask stewardess about the fire in #3...Half the time they have to go ask as don't notice themselves.

Know a guy who bought a lot of Halon on ebay and was charged with ABC when tested. Another guy I know got Halatron instead of Halon. I have bought Halon on fleabay that was fine from trusted vendors. Every room at work has automated fire suppression, high dollar handhelds and ABC as code requires. Even the non code has to have annual inspection once installed. House has Stat-X automated in basement, CO2 handhelds as second line and ABC handhelds for escape. Upstairs has a Halatron 2 handheld to stop fire and an ABC for escaping in every room. Wife and I each have a full set of firefighters turn out gear upstairs and downstairs. If decide to fight a fire we train to dress properly first.

Wife and I both got new Nomex hoods for our "A" kits just recently.

In addition to our upstairs and downstairs turn out gear we keep coat and hood handy in garage and at back door in case of issue with generators crops up. If your car or motorcycle bursts into flames right now, wife has grease fire flare up on stove, power is out, phones are down and generator bursts into flames what you going to do? How many Christmas trees or fires in fireplaces for holiday ambience are going to burn houses to ground today? Your either ready for a fire or standing in your yard watching your house burn hoping F.D. shows before total loss. We have lots of options including a 2" stand pipe and firefighters hose with nozzle near water meter. I will be dressed and spraying when F.D. pulls up. Have mask and tank if have to drag wife out and not both die getting out.

Old December 25, 2017, 20:56   #25
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
See if this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-A...+extinguishers
Old December 25, 2017, 21:36   #26
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
I am guessing that somewhere in the past 12 years (he first posted this thread in 2000 and freaking 5) Deltaten probably worked something out for putting out his bike fires, it didn't really require a halon or other lesser system to do so and he didn't dress as Fireman Fred when it was happening.....
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017, 21:50   #27
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
I am guessing that somewhere in the past 12 years (he first posted this thread in 2000 and freaking 5) Deltaten probably worked something out for putting out his bike fires, it didn't really require a halon or other lesser system to do so and he didn't dress as Fireman Fred when it was happening.....
Buzz kill. It was just getting interesting.
Old December 25, 2017, 21:54   #28
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaten View Post
The one I'm thinking of was about the size of a medium Mace can, mebbe 6-7 in. hi and 1.5" in dia. Sure, it would be one, short shot; but better than nothing!
I'll just leave this here for you all to ponder about a readily available mini fire extinguisher
Old December 25, 2017, 22:34   #29
CLIVE85
Registered

FALaholic #: 19870
Holy zombie thread, Batman!

It's not like its resurrection is even worthwhile.
CLIVE85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2017, 07:44   #30
RG Coburn
Registered

People always get really interested in fire extinguishers after they've had a loss to fire. I see it quite often. Majority of folks have never ever used one. Learn from the fuggups of others. Learn to use one before you need to. Get one large enough. Get one for the type you will most likely encounter. Teach your kids. Anybody close enough,I'd GIVE you older still-charged units to practice with. No,I ain't shipping...
Old December 26, 2017, 12:15   #31
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

My fire suppression company sells extinguishers they can't recertify anymore for $10 to $20 each. When ran a big full time crew we had a training session every year when they came to certify gear. As to the Fireman Fred commemt, have you ever been in a burning structure? If your house is burning and not equipped you may have to watch it burn with your family inside.

Friend of ours had electrical fire in middle of night, got one kid out but was too hot and too big to get back in and has to go to bed every night with images of his wife and other three kids burning to death while he watched unable to do anything. Once it gets hot you cannot get back in or even out of room your trapped without proper gear.four different areas of my house can at least grab a Nomex hood, Nomex firefighters coat with heat shield insulation.

Gloves we wear to refuel generators or even trucks when cold are military Nomex cold weather gloves. Pair in every truck, garage and generator shed. Fuel a lot of generators while still hot and a fuel spill is not going to burn my hands off. I consider fire my most probable serious emergency. Fire fighting equipment is more important than a firearm. More likely to have a fire get away than involved in gunfight.

Once fire starts running across top of reloading bench if automated system(s) don't start deploying odds of stopping it with a 4 pound Home Depot ABC extinguisher are low. If on second story of house asleep when fire starts on ground floor unless able to fly your screwed. Survival forum should have fire suppression discussion pop up much more often than EMP, floods, volcanoes or earthquakes. Just run the numbers.

Oh, if see vehicle on fire and occupants safe, ask if want it extinguished, usually it's better to let a late model finish burning as if insurance company fixes wil, never be right again. Classic motorcycles and antique cars are different.