The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old November 22, 2004, 10:30   #1
slakline
Registered

FALaholic #: 9729
She Turned Out To Be A He !!

Thought for sure it was a doe....It was getting late on the last day and big herd of does came my way. It was time to make a decesion. Now or nothing.....venison or beggin for sticks from buddies.....I picked out the biggest doe, squeezed off the trigger..."BLAM"...deer goes down. When I got up to what I thought was going to be a "SHE" it turned out to be a big bodied spike with 2 inch "toothpick" on one side and a 4 inch "pencil" on the other. I didn't see the spikes at a little over 200yds. I did have either sex permit, so it worked out....I had previously passed on some average 3x3's and 4x4's hoping I would get a chance at the 5x5 with nice mass I had spotted early during the dove season, but no luck. I told myself on the last day after 12:00 pm, I would take the first doe for the meat and also do my civic duty to help reduce the whitetail herd. It was 4:30 pm so it was shoot now or get "skunked". It was a good shot with the 6.5x55 swede. Even though I took this really "Dinky" spike, I may have stopped him from "knocking up" the 4 does he was with. Maybe, more effective as birth control unless another buck steps in and finishes his job. Hopefully the next buck will have better antler genetics potential to pass on...this spike will be some good eatin'and next time I'll make sure to look a bit harder for those dinky little spikes. Lesson learned....again. No regrets.....I'll be having my own sticks to chow down on.

Newfalguy101 your spike looks huge compared to mine.....wait a minute I checked your pic again, mine is bigger .....I win !!! pretty lame comparisons huh? Yours looks to be a bit bigger bodied. At least we're both eatin' good.......

Anybody else willing to admit that this has happened to them?

Last edited by slakline; December 05, 2004 at 11:04.
slakline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2004, 22:01   #2
AR Thumper
Registered

FALaholic #: 3478
slakline,I hate it for you ,but Inferior deer need to be "weeded" out of the herd. I had one HUGE deer hanging around my stand for a couple of years. He had 1 spike about 12 inches long,everyone who hunted on my stand saw him. He needed to be taken ,but in this state there must be 3 points on one side to be legal. I guess like myself everyone wanted to stay within the law. I have not seen him this year so he may of died of old age or someone took him out & did not say I certainaly did not want to know if that was the case. There should be a Inferior tag attached to the others IMHO BTW that spike should eat just fine!Enjoy!,Thumper
Old December 05, 2004, 11:00   #3
slakline
Registered

Here's the pic of my little buck ('aint very little is he). He dressed out at 165 lbs. First batch of venison stew was excellent!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tony\'sbuck04.jpg (43.7 KB, 285 views)
Old December 05, 2004, 14:51   #4
IainClaymore
Registered

FALaholic #: 10853
As my cousin used to say:"...Can't eat them horns anyway!"
IainClaymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2004, 18:52   #5
masman
Registered

FALaholic #: 781
my one and only deer was a spike that i thought was a doe.i had drawn a doe tag so when it came over the rise i just picked a brown spot and let rip.didnt check the head until i started to field dress the deer
Old December 05, 2004, 22:41   #6
slakline
Registered

My 7 yr. old daughter told me, "Daddy, next time you need to look between the legs and look for it's thingy hangin' down before you shoot !!"
Old December 06, 2004, 20:52   #7
elbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 8362
Quote:
Originally posted by slakline
My 7 yr. old daughter told me, "Daddy, next time you need to look between the legs and look for it's thingy hangin' down before you shoot !!"
You know laughing will cause you to miss that next deer.
Old December 06, 2004, 21:33   #8
newfalguy101
Registered

FALaholic #: 6260
Congrats, on your deer Slakline.

I thought the deer I shot was a doe actually, I didnt really care one way or the othe anyway. That is the reason I get the tag that I get, its one hundred precent EITHER sex.

The deer I shot last year was about the same size as this one, in fact I wouldnt be surprised if they werent from the same doe.

Oh and by the way, all I gots say is YUMMMMMY

01 FFL :biggrin:
Transfers $20
orders actual dealer + $50
Clay Center, NE
newfalguy101 is offline   Reply With Quote