The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old June 11, 2004, 21:35   #1
BeefaloBart
Registered

FALaholic #: 14633
Question FAL Accessories

Brief explination of what I have done so far and perhaps someone could suggest other things to add or modify on my current (first FAL) build. This being my first FAL I dont want to just have a clone of a Military model.

Foregrip and rail mounted to bottom of handguard, another mounted on the left side for attatching flashlight(streamlight) Thats it so far.

I will be shortening the barrel to 16" and using a muzzle break that is held on via set screws. Optics wise I have considered the SUIT but may look into other non red dot based setups.

Open to all suggestions.
Old June 12, 2004, 00:49   #2
kaiserworks
Registered

FALaholic #: 13839
I would suggest a few FAL items but that would be unashamed self promotion, otherwise, welcome to the forum.

-Greg
www.thekaiserworks.com

Last edited by kaiserworks; June 12, 2004 at 02:09.
kaiserworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2004, 02:27   #3
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Set screws are an excellent way to create a one time dual projectile rifle. Do it right, or leave it nekkid, IMHO.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2004, 06:19   #4
DAN-PA
Registered

FALaholic #: 7152
I second kfranz's emotion.
Old June 12, 2004, 08:33   #5
FALna45
Registered

FALaholic #: 10559
at least record the torque applied to the set screws then weigh & chrono that brake for us for posterity!!
kidding aside, welcome to the board!
what receiver? what kit?
16" is short! if you haven't shot one you might try to find a FALer near you with one to try it. whereabouts are you?
it's a 'blast' (sorry) but i'm thinking of goin back to about 18 now on a 16.5" i built.
as far as personal 'touches' (ouch) what do you have for a mag release? inch are nice. very positive and 'widely' (damn) preferred it seems. i tried a holland type which is very snag-free /streamlined. never really had a problem with the standard metric but i have a long trigger finger. to me the izzy is perfect.
got a wide BHO? w/pin or no pin? what type selector? vert or horizontal locking lever? IMO those are the fun custom bits once you're built and furnished.
oh and i assume you left out that you already have a para conversion for september??
sorry for all the (bad) puns
Old June 12, 2004, 15:33   #6
BeefaloBart
Registered

Love the Para Kits but the recoil is higher I was told. I might consider on my next project which will be pure fun based. Rhineland Arms 9mm Sumoi or Sten mag conversion and barrels. Imagine a DSA shorty handguard with 13" bbl all in 9mm with para stock and an Aimpoint on top.

I have an Inch lower that I am playing with but will prob swap over to a metric just for the SAW buttstock and the better pistol grips. All parts are standard type with verticle take down catch.

I had the Clinton stock but began by ripping it off and destroying it. After I shot the rifle to make sure it was sound. I am waiting on my stocks and stock tool to be able to get out and do one more range session. The foregrip does do a fantastic job dealing with the heat from that tiny bbl after a string of 5 mags rapid fire. Being new to teh FAL realm what other things should I have and how many mags is a good number. I have 6 alum mags and 8 steel mags. Ammo wise I need to order another batch of that Austrailian stuff, it seems to be quite clean shooting. I managed to keep a mag full from my last session.

I think I will like the FAL arena, and allready thinking of 2 more up coming projects. Shorty in 9mm and a match grade heavy bbl for a bit better groups. Thanks for the ideas so far and I look forward to seeing more.
Old June 12, 2004, 15:35   #7
BeefaloBart
Registered

BTW I am in the Charleston SC area. I have a small rimfire and shotgun shop that I do part time.
Old June 15, 2004, 18:23   #8
BeefaloBart
Registered

Ok TAPCO order #1 came in and got everything installed and now Im an expert on putting together FAL Inch lowers, I say this with confidence since I to get used to it took it apart and put it back together in a new lower. Then again when I remembered I needed to put the grip on first, then again when I needed to put the stock on then back off. Needless to say I took it apart and now could prob build one blindfolded lol.

I did notice that if your putting an inch together and have parts laying about from an Inch with the clinton thumbhole stock, the spring for the trigger return plunger needs to be shortened, almost 1/2 inch so it will go together and function properly.

I ordered a new Gen 4 scope mount from TAPCO and it will be here in a week or so then will mount some optics on the rifle, prob an old 30mm tube 3-9x40 that was on a mauser project.

I will get a pic of the rifle in its current status.
Old June 21, 2004, 12:04   #9
BeefaloBart
Registered

Well enough waiting, Here is how it is looking for now, I added the BSA red dot sight to see how it would work on it. With it installed I can still use my Iron Sights without turning on the red dot or while its on. I will look for some sort of scope cover that will allow me to use it without having to lose those small caps on both ends.

Next comes the finish, the lower has been finished allready and its looking good so far. I am using all parkerized parts, then I heat the parts then apply BBQ Grill paint. Heating it allows the paint to flow better and even, Then when it cools it is a bit tougher than just a quick spray if cold. As you can see on the left are my Alum mags, on right is my Steel mags. The steel mags will be refinished as they show paint from what looks like Rhodesion cammo. I will use the same BBQ Grill paint on them.

The 7 steel mags were a great deal since they were painted lol I paid $3.99 each for them. Beat that price, cant unless they were free. I may end up ordering a large number more then doing some park work on them and reselling for a higher profit later. But if someone ask nice I will say where I got them.

Give me ideas on how the FAL looks for now.
Old June 21, 2004, 15:17   #10
FALna45
Registered

looks to be coming along nicely!
um, the mag deal can be beat tho.....if you're ready for more check out MGS
Old June 21, 2004, 23:31   #11
BeefaloBart
Registered

So Im not doing to bad for a First time FAL. It started as one of those "ya know I never owned one of them" to now Hmm I like this. I fired the rifle so far doing function checks to get it rolling, and havnt done any accuracy test. I got a batch of ammo on its way and will do some accuracy testing.

I still have a few more final touches but this is pretty much how it will be overall. Its not light but its handy, and has the power to do most anything I need. I will change to a regular scope and try it this deer season coming. Then again as it sits it will do fine within the normal 100-200 yards our shots here usually get. Actually most are under 100 yards, so the red dot should be fine.

Any other suggestions on how to set this rifle up.
Old June 21, 2004, 23:39   #12
BeefaloBart
Registered

BTW the plunger plate has been replaced as was the lower, bringing it back to its correct status.

Also I see nobody else has noticed what is wrong in the picture. Look closer at the stripper clips of ammo they dont belong to this rifle anyone know what they go for. (I do cuz I use them for the other rifle) Little trivia for ya.

The Red Dot is 42mm and I know Butler Creek makes up to 50mm for the big tactical scopes. Just havnt taken the time to go look for them. Might just make my own by cutting the majority of the current caps and replacin them with thin clear plastic of some sorts. Little ugly but will prob work. I left the rifle in the case and it got some slight rust color to the bbl so it really needs to be coated.

BBQ Grill paint is more expensive than other paints but cheaper than the Brownells stuff and last pretty well. Far left mag in the pic has been painted with it and looks great even after a few times on the range.
Old June 22, 2004, 05:59   #13
firedog
Registered

FALaholic #: 14289
.303 british
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2004, 07:11   #14
FALna45
Registered

300 WIN MAG!
what was the question? hee hee
Old June 23, 2004, 01:12   #15
BeefaloBart
Registered

Good Eye Firedog, I just wanted some ammo for the pic and those were closest. I keep an ammo can for each weapon I own and normally have a mark to let me know which is which. That one just happened to be closest to my lovely couch when I was takin the pics.

Besides a flashlight what else should I need for this rifle. And if I could afford night vision optics I would have that for it as well.
Old August 30, 2004, 21:25   #16
BeefaloBart
Registered

I have used a slip on flash hider that is held on with set screws, however I slid it back so tis not even used as a flash hider, but looks as though its on a 2 inch shorter barrel. So I have the look of shorter barrel with a flash hider lol but original barrel length.

I was bored one day and added a pistol scope on the side rail mount to see how it would work. Lets just say I saved you all time from doing this on your own. Kids dont try this at home lol. Boredom creates strange projects. We wont even go into my Raven 25 acp Comped race gun.
Old August 31, 2004, 05:20   #17
Lostinthewoods
Registered

FALaholic #: 10524
Get one of Roosters tactical slings. For the money it may be one of the best upgrages you can make. Look for them in the marketplace foum. Also think twice about that SAW stock idea, bad ergonomics and in my opinion just plain fugly. I bought some mags from www.militarygunsupply.com that were mentioned in one of the other posts and was very pleased. I bought ten of the Steyr mags with the witness holes and three were brand new with no insertion marks four were in excelennt condition and three were very good. No dents, rust or function issues with any of them. Probably the best deal on mags right now. CDNN alson has brand new belgiun mags with stripper clip guides for $8.99 which is also a very good deal for brand new mags. Enjoy the rifle and consider sending the lower out to have some trigger work done. Thre are plenty of FAL smiths here that do good trigger work. It's a small investment that yeilds great returns. If you like the red dot check out the Hakko group buy going on in the marketplace also.
Lostinthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2004, 22:09   #18
BeefaloBart
Registered

Whats the verdict on a Para conversion, I have been itching to try the folding stock deal, even though for a casual shooter its not as practical. But cant remember the last practical thing I have ever purchased. Even though the FAL is a long sucker even if it did have a folding stock, I still think it would be cool. I understand the para setup adds more recoil but it cant be too horrible.
Old September 16, 2004, 15:59   #19
GySgt D
Registered

FALaholic #: 232
I used JB Weld to put a L1a1 flash hider on my Century Sporter. Don't think that it will ever part company with the barrel, and the installation certainly looks better than using set screws.
Th' FAL is wifout a doubt th' finess rifle available fo' defendin' yer mobile home or huntin' camp fum them uppity Federales. Yo' kin use it equally fine while jack-lightin' deer or keepin' th' possum sheriff at a comfy distance.
GySgt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2004, 23:47   #20
BeefaloBart
Registered

Where is a good source for the Para stock kits, I have found one but it was probably sold allready. And any idea on price now that the AWB has sunset, I would like to try one even if I dont like it, can say I tried.
Old September 17, 2004, 02:45   #21
Silentbob343
Registered

FALaholic #: 15336
DSA sells para lowers for 300+ with the folding stock. FWRA has a group buy for Argentine Para Kits at $645. I wish I had the cash to get one.

Would you recommend the aluminum or steel mags and why?

Last edited by Silentbob343; September 21, 2004 at 06:32.
Silentbob343 is offline   Reply With Quote