Notices

Old May 17, 2018, 22:27   #251
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Getting this out one more time in case you didn't read the brilliant Wall O' Text that describes the Ironsman Challenge / 3 Gun event:

1. all steel is painted black, and you have to knock it down (where possible) or hit it once (R.O. will call "Hit!")

2. all paper is engaged with either:

a. headshot (1 hit) in 6" head zone (upper A/B), for Zombies

b. torso 'A' zone (2 hits), OR torso 'Any zone' (4 hits) for Infected U.N. troops - because you can't shoot thru the helmets

c. either a) or b) for RBGs (Random Bad Guys)

3. all no-shoots are white cardboard

Shooting a no-shoot target OR shooting a legitimate target in such as way that the bullet passes through a no-shoot target is THE SAME THING, and will cost you 60 seconds.

Failing to neutralize a target, not engaging a target, and/or missing the zones on the target that you engage is THE SAME THING, and will cost you 15 seconds.

So scores this year will not be "Time" + "Score". It will only be "Time" + "Time Penalty" - with penalties being given for "non-neutralized targets/misses" and "no-shoots".

As in the case of last year, we're looking for accuracy more than speed. Can't kill the Merten Children while you're running around trying to save the Merten Children.

Soooo...

...what you seem to be recommending is- sight picture, trigger press, and knowing what is beyond the intended target ?!!

.......an amazing concept, that is.....

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 17:54   #252
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018, 10:34   #253
Tailback
Registered

FALaholic #: 26070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
What’s the new pistol?
S&W M&P 2.0 5 inch in flat dark earth.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20

Last edited by Tailback; May 21, 2018 at 11:23. Reason: added link
Tailback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018, 11:05   #254
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Okay, on to the much-awaited Ironsman Challenge + 3-Gun Competition

This stage-beginning Ironsman Challenge is part of the ongoing Ironsman Challenge for the weekend AND is part of the 3-gun scoring as well
Aaaaaaaand so much for the new scope I bought for the SCAR.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:09   #255
tdb59
Does this smell funny ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailback View Post
You will do just fine with that.......

.......somewhere in the course.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2018, 18:11   #256
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
You can use it for the Ironsman Challenge & 3 Gun event, because the "Ironsman Challenge" is for iron sights on your PISTOL at the beginning of the event.

You will not be able to use it on the rifle part of the Ironsman Challenge, which is later in the weekend.

No biggie - you weren't going to use it on the King Shot, either.

For the 3-gun, you'll just stage your rifle in the barrel just like last year. People used irons, and people used optics. We aren't changing any of that. But my red-dot Glock is not allowed on the course AFAIK.

I suppose, though this hasn't been brought up before The ("Ahem!") Committee, that a person could do the pistol part of the Ironsman Challenge, ground the gun, and draw an empty, holstered, red-dot equipped handgun, load, and go take on the rest of the course.

I'll ask the Committee members - if I can find any.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

Old May 21, 2018, 20:02   #257
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Quote:
Barren are the fields that grow members of committee...
Old May 21, 2018, 20:21   #258
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
Barren are the fields that grow members of committee...
Speak for yourself. My member wouldn't fill a field, but it can definitely stand on its own, comparatively speaking...
Old May 21, 2018, 22:06   #259
Tailback
Registered

Ahhhh, I was kinda confused about that. Cool, that makes me happy.
Old May 21, 2018, 23:12   #260
nickmil
Registered

FALaholic #: 77041
Quote:
You can use it for the Ironsman Challenge & 3 Gun event, because the "Ironsman Challenge" is for iron sights on your PISTOL at the beginning of the event.

You will not be able to use it on the rifle part of the Ironsman Challenge, which is later in the weekend.

No biggie - you weren't going to use it on the King Shot, either.

For the 3-gun, you'll just stage your rifle in the barrel just like last year. People used irons, and people used optics. We aren't changing any of that. But my red-dot Glock is not allowed on the course AFAIK.

I suppose, though this hasn't been brought up before The ("Ahem!") Committee, that a person could do the pistol part of the Ironsman Challenge, ground the gun, and draw an empty, holstered, red-dot equipped handgun, load, and go take on the rest of the course.

Just a thought but instead of all that just institute an automatic handicap to anyone using optics. 30 seconds or whatever. Everyone could play with firearms they are used to or comfortable with but the handicap would level the playing field for those using open sights and encourage folks to do so.
nickmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 00:24   #261
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I dunno - I think that assigning a 'modifier' like 30 seconds is hard to do. I don't know what the difference is over the length of course we've got.

If we're saying that "everyone knows" that optics are faster than irons, why wouldn't a person get an optic for shooting bad guys quickly? Meaning take your penalty if you're an irons shooter.

We could also do various 'classes' (Irons, Optics, .30 cal, Mouse Guns/poodle-shooters/sub-.30 cal), which, as you know, people do in various competitions.

If we're shooting for fun, and *not* to shoot bad guys OR to 'win', I think we should do roughly what we've been doing for a few years (after years of having these discussions at the Committee, Campfire, and FAL Files Forums levels), which is to hold the events with the various guns that people like to shoot - and then make a note of the times AND the guns and/or optics that people shot.

Then we can all draw our own conclusions about what just happened.

Old May 22, 2018, 00:31   #262
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

For example....

2017 Drop 15 Results

.30 Cal/Optics

Brush511 SCAR/Optics 44.54
Old Spambo FAL/Optics 109.57

.30 Cal/Irons

brunop FAL/Irons 45.6
4x401 FAL/Irons 87.04
Milsurp Monkey FAL/Irons 91.8
sportsnut FAL/Irons 94.92
Andrew M1A/Irons 104.76
kwthor FAL/Irons 112.03
Tailback SCAR/Irons 153.3

sub-.30/Optics

Mark-60 AR/Optics 62.44
Totenkopf AR/Optics 70.26
Snowhawk Jockey AR/Optics 73.2
JC AR/Optics 75.44
Elkaholic AR/Optics 87.91
Jason AR/Optics 99.6
Herkamer AR/Optics 113.51 10 targets
Totenkopfsohn AR/Optics 121.14
Olivia Sig/Optics 131.31
Natalie AR/Optics 157.54

JDHD Junkie XCR/Optics DNF

sub-.30/Irons

Tuscan Raider AR/Irons 35.63
Frank Cox AR/Irons 79.75
Tally AR/Irons 83.6
Jonathan AR/Irons 114.85

Edited to add

Special mention to Brother Wayne who came to Oregon with a Romy G AK-47 and *won* the Drop 15 with an AK + irons two or three years ago. That was freaking brilliant.

Last edited by brunop; May 22, 2018 at 00:47.
Old May 22, 2018, 00:34   #263
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I don't think Brush511 deserves a 30 second addition to his time because he shot .30 Cal Optics and I shot .30 Cal Irons in the Drop 15.

I'm not saying that it's not an advantage to shoot optics, because I think it is a clear advantage. I'm just saying I don't know how to 'handicap' the thing.

Old May 22, 2018, 00:53   #264
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
For obvious reasons my arsenal will be limited. I will bring a scoped FAL and a 1911 (cuz I jus luv dem tangs )

For any class that those two don't fit, I have been assured by many of you (and thank you all) that they, or someone, will provide an appropriate firearm. Hopefully those will be something I have at least a passing familiarity with and can at least find the fuggen safety switch, but whatever, it will still be much appreciated.

BTW - I loves me some Garands, ARs, 870s, and Colt wheel guns, however this weekend my COMBLOC loving buddy is even bringing an SKS and a couple of AKs over to shoot for my "re-familiarization training", just in case, plus a fuggen Glock of all things

My plan is just to have fun, shoot SOME shit during the day, then shoot THE shit during the evenings. Hopefully not embarrassing myself too much at either and while keeping Blondzilla on her best behavior as well (which is a pretty big job in itself)

The PMs, texts, calls, emails, and general generosity of the PNW crowd is amazing. Blondzilla and I are really looking forward to being there with you all

Last edited by Invictus77; May 22, 2018 at 01:00.
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018, 01:32   #265
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

That's all you'll need - except for the King Shot (1 shot, iron sights), and there will be plenty of guns to shoot. I'll have an FAL and shlomo's Garand with me.

Shotgun + ammo provided for the 3-gun.

It's all "Run Whatcha Brung".

Old May 23, 2018, 20:30   #266
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Special mention to Brother Wayne who came to Oregon with a Romy G AK-47 and *won* the Drop 15 with an AK + irons two or three years ago. That was freaking brilliant.
IMHO, "Brilliant" merely scratches the surface of what an awe-inspiring, and PERFECT performance that was! Truly a day that will live in Infamy!
Old May 23, 2018, 22:24   #267
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34966
Quote:
I dunno - I think that assigning a 'modifier' like 30 seconds is hard to do. I don't know what the difference is over the length of course we've got.

If we're saying that "everyone knows" that optics are faster than irons, why wouldn't a person get an optic for shooting bad guys quickly? Meaning take your penalty if you're an irons shooter.

We could also do various 'classes' (Irons, Optics, .30 cal, Mouse Guns/poodle-shooters/sub-.30 cal), which, as you know, people do in various competitions.

If we're shooting for fun, and *not* to shoot bad guys OR to 'win', I think we should do roughly what we've been doing for a few years (after years of having these discussions at the Committee, Campfire, and FAL Files Forums levels), which is to hold the events with the various guns that people like to shoot - and then make a note of the times AND the guns and/or optics that people shot.

Then we can all draw our own conclusions about what just happened.
I hate shooting irons because my eyes suck. I think we should stick a couple pieces of dirty scotch tape on your shooting glasses to even the odds I'm there to have fun and don't care how I finish! I'm also there to hang out with good people! I'm also there because of the little giggles and snorts the kids do when we go play with the fast guns
Elkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018, 22:28   #268
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
For obvious reasons my arsenal will be limited. I will bring a scoped FAL and a 1911 (cuz I jus luv dem tangs )

For any class that those two don't fit, I have been assured by many of you (and thank you all) that they, or someone, will provide an appropriate firearm. Hopefully those will be something I have at least a passing familiarity with and can at least find the fuggen safety switch, but whatever, it will still be much appreciated.

BTW - I loves me some Garands, ARs, 870s, and Colt wheel guns, however this weekend my COMBLOC loving buddy is even bringing an SKS and a couple of AKs over to shoot for my "re-familiarization training", just in case, plus a fuggen Glock of all things

My plan is just to have fun, shoot SOME shit during the day, then shoot THE shit during the evenings. Hopefully not embarrassing myself too much at either and while keeping Blondzilla on her best behavior as well (which is a pretty big job in itself)

The PMs, texts, calls, emails, and general generosity of the PNW crowd is amazing. Blondzilla and I are really looking forward to being there with you all
There are normally 6 or 7 guns in my truck that don't even get uncased you could leave your stuff at home and still have more stuff to shoot than you will with this crowd
Old May 23, 2018, 22:51   #269
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
I hate shooting irons because my eyes suck. I think we should stick a couple pieces of dirty scotch tape on your shooting glasses to even the odds I'm there to have fun and don't care how I finish! I'm also there to hang out with good people! I'm also there because of the little giggles and snorts the kids do when we go play with the fast guns
Agreed on all points except for the scotch tape.

I've got my own problems.

Old May 24, 2018, 00:01   #270
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Quote:
Hitting targets at 150 yards is not that hard depending on the gun and the
sights. I have a hard time with irons on the FAL's but do much better with
the sights on the Garand. But you need to practice with irons and I don't.

The poodle poppers are much faster and the targets go right down using
75/77gr bullets. But that's cheating and it's a FAL shoot.

Spambo
old_spambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 00:31   #271
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_spambo View Post
Hitting targets at 150 yards is not that hard depending on the gun and the
sights. I have a hard time with irons on the FAL's but do much better with
the sights on the Garand. But you need to practice with irons and I don't.

The poodle poppers are much faster and the targets go right down using
75/77gr bullets. But that's cheating and it's a FAL shoot.

Spambo
I might have a belt fed this year
Old May 24, 2018, 00:54   #272
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
Quote:
Now we are talkin.

Spambo
old_spambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 12:55   #273
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:
That one we talked about?

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 13:44   #274
Elkaholic
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I was just playing. I will not have a belt fed
Old May 24, 2018, 14:09   #275
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I was just playing. I will not have a belt fed
Is it OK to bring some "office supplies" in my carry-on luggage?

Old May 24, 2018, 15:01   #276
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Yes, "administrative equipment" can be stored in my pickup bed just remember to forget it when you leave
Old May 24, 2018, 16:11   #277
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Quote:

LAW looks in good shape.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018, 18:10   #278
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
LAW looks in good shape.
That's because it has it's own guard gator
Old May 24, 2018, 22:46   #279
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

Quote:
LAW looks in good shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
That's because it has it's own guard gator
I got a "LAW" story you guys probably won't believe...

Remind me to tell it in June...
Old Yesterday, 18:24   #280
Tailback
Registered

Quote:

If I ever won the lottery that would be my "office". Only differerences is that it would be an M-60. I was a surgeon with the M-60 and that is not bragging. I rocked that thing like you would not believe.
Old Yesterday, 18:36   #281
Tailback
Registered

so....lets be honest here. I used to shot competitively with ammo and gun supplied by uncle sugar. If I didn't win or at least get a "leg" I would go home sick to my stomach for at least a week just stewing mad over how bad I did. I don't care about winning anymore. I care about seeing guys I like and having fun. Uncle Sugar isn't paying for my ammo anymore. I can't afford to shoot ammo with people that I don't like.
Old Yesterday, 18:39   #282
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I don't care about winning anymore. I care about seeing guys I like and having fun.

Me too!

Old Yesterday, 21:36   #283
Tailback
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
I got a "LAW" story you guys probably won't believe...

Remind me to tell it in June...

Remind me to remind you to tell me that story. I shot a LAW once. I also Shot a TOW once.
Old Today, 12:54   #284
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor