The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 18, 2018, 00:14   #1
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Long term storage.

I've got a number of firearms (blue chips as a buddy calls them) that I want to put into long term storage.

I have a near mint S&W 18 with the box and shipping box from S&W (June 1969 IIRC)
I've shot it a very little, but it's too nice.

So I picked up one that while nice, has been carried a bit that I'll not since to shoot. (18 and a 4" 34 for $800) and likewise I have a nickel 34 snubbie that I'll put up, duplicate 3" 13, etc.

Mostly pistols (And mostly Smiths) but some rifles too.

Coat them in Rig and seal in milar? I'm sure of the Rig, but I don't want to put them in anything that will hurt them. (Knew a guy who collected Nazi pistols.... He stored them with tags and the acid in the paper imprinted on the blueing)

Don't bother telling me to shoot them.... I'm not storing anything that doesn't have a duplicate, and I can't think of any better place to put the money than old Smiths and Colts. (Have a Dick special in partial box that the original owner fired one cylinder through and then put in their underwear drawer till I got it... I have 3-4 other Dicks. (Yes, that opening is intentional.)

SO: if you have any actual experience.... Please share some recommendations.

Thank you
Old September 18, 2018, 07:28   #2
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Give this a try. Buddy swears by them. I just keep a drying rod in the safe and it seems to work well, but if you want extra layers of protection here ya go.

http://www.zerustproducts.com/produc...-storage-bags/
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 07:48   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Define “long term.” 10-year, 20-year? Longer? I have a few that have been stored in back of my safe for 10+ years and being wiped down and stored in safe w/drying rod has been just fine.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 08:56   #4
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
https://youtu.be/KlToim_s0c0

Wax.

Brought to you by stolen funds
Old September 18, 2018, 10:47   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Sell them now.

Abandon the delusion that there will come some magical day where you will be happy, and everybody else will be happy, with the material things you have accumulated.

If you have no use for them now, you will have even less use for them in the future.

That's MY actual experience collecting guns for a half-century.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 11:07   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Sell them now.

Abandon the delusion that there will come some magical day where you will be happy, and everybody else will be happy, with the material things you have accumulated.

If you have no use for them now, you will have even less use for them in the future.

This.
Is truth. Some may not realize it until they are looking the grim reaper in the face but that doesn't make it any less true.
Old September 18, 2018, 12:22   #7
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Quote:
Sell them now.

You have a lot more time in collecting than I do but almost all the firearms I have bought have gotten more expensive to buy over time. From a value perspective they have gotten a better return than my 401K. Really wish I had stacked AK and FAL kits high when they were coming in cheap. The prices they are getting now would do a great job financing bigger purchases but I had no "use" for them then.

I'd not put firearms in deep storage as I like to use my firearms but selling something that is going to increase in value is not always the right choice.
Unless a collector has reached the age where it is time to pass their collection to others.

I see that at the museum I work at now. We are very rarely dealing with actual WWII vets but their surviving families and estates. What HK is saying is right though about time coming for us all. Currently many Vietnam vets think they will live forever and will donate to us "some day"...
JColdIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 14:04   #8
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Quote:
Sell them now.

If I had a use for the money.... I would.

I'm medically retired from the Corps. I live on half my pension, I have a 6 figure retirement accounts, 2 years worth of expenses in savings etc.

And as cold Iron said:
Lock, stock, and barrel market has done better for me than the stick market.
I don't mind the diversity. (And I've been doing it a while. Summer I turned 15 I put $1,800 into an IRA.)

You want me to sell:
Recommend me a better place to put my assets.

2003 I picked up a 3" S&W 66 for $316.
Stock market hasn't beat it, land hasn't beat it....

An nd I DID stack cheap AK and FAL kits.
Mags too.
Heard to beat $2.22 AM mags an d$2.50 Steyr FAL mags....
Old September 18, 2018, 15:37   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

If you have a suitable place to long-term store heavy metal objects, and you have no use for money, then bravo to you. Your situation is quite in the minority.

If you have someone who will step into your shoes, when you can't wear them, and who will wear them well, double-bravo. And even more of a minority situation.

I've dealt with plenty of situations where shit-or-get-off-the-pot day has come around. Its always a shitty situation. The less shit there is to clean up, the less shitty the situation tends to be.

Then, theres the "I just don't care" school. Not entirely an irrational position. After all it is just shit. You wouldn't want to take it with you, even if you could.

Old September 18, 2018, 15:41   #10
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I sold a whole bunch of $3 AK mags after one of the elections. Percentage profit was high. Total profit was nothing to crow about.

A LOT of work to get those mags sold.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that again, even at a higher profit percentage.

In my "golden years," the last thing I want to be doing is keeping track of email messages from somebody buying bunches of $19 items from me. At least not unless I'm really desperate.

Old September 18, 2018, 15:43   #11
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

If you own something special, and you have no expected use for it, and you don't see any need to sell it, and you want some particular person to have it...

GIVE IT TO THEM NOW.

Don't make them wait until the fugkery starts.

Last edited by W.E.G.; September 18, 2018 at 15:49.
Old September 18, 2018, 15:47   #12
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I'll make one more post, and I'll leave this subject alone for a while.

I've given away some guns. At the time, I thought the recipient would be just delighted. The recipients acted reasonably appreciative at the time. As time has passed, the degree of their interest in those guns - if not their degree of appreciation - has dwindled in every case.

I think its because they think I was not so clever in the first place to have acquired something I was willing to just give away.

I believe nobody truly appreciates ANYTHING - even the Hope Diamond - unless they had to earn it.

Old September 18, 2018, 16:12   #13
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I gave my Grandfathers '03 ( 5-11) and his WWI uniforms to my son, in the hopes that the legacy will be passed down in time. A "numbered" Tiffany NYS Medal that he was awarded, is listed in the NYS Register.

I have zero confidence in my granddaughters, and their future husbands, doing anything put peddling the lot, after they get a'holt a them in 20 years or so.

I have had trouble even giving away, a 3 phase M head collet Bridgeport Mill.

I suspect that Garands are suddenly going to be worth $500; a value they should never have surpassed anyway.

MY stuff gives me pleasure yet, but I am downsizing, while augmenting at the same time.

My buddy affected by the Death Panels thread, who was diagnosed in June with a spot on his liver, just passed, full of cancer.
Ten days ago he did not recognize me anymore. Funeral tomorrow.

I had to take all of his guns to a gun dealer to prevent looting by his fam. $1100 in cash missing already.

Other than storing guns in a vat of oil, rust and mildew are a factor without human intervention.

Some women have shoes, lot of shoes.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 16:54   #14
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Quote:
If you have a suitable place to long-term store heavy metal objects, and you have no use for money, then bravo to you. Your situation is quite in the minority.

If you have someone who will step into your shoes, when you can't wear them, and who will wear them well, double-bravo. And even more of a minority situation.

I've dealt with plenty of situations where shit-or-get-off-the-pot day has come around. Its always a shitty situation. The less shit there is to clean up, the less shitty the situation tends to be.
I'm 36.
Sure I'm very aware I might die on my way to the fire station tonight, but I'm not quite to the "rehome everything before I die" stage.
(Although when I find a worthwhile college kid, or dad with a young kid into guns and not a lot of money.... I give them the kind of deal that they will remember for years...)

-not bravo to me, the reason I "have no use for more money" is my health is so shitty (skeletal, nerve, and soft tissue service connected injuries, not life threatening.) That I cannot do all the things I enjoy, that I'd spend money on.
Consequently, sitting at a Gunshow table talking guns, knives, and history is the height of excitement in my life.

I figure when I hit 55 or so I'll start finding someone to SELL a few things too.
My friend Bert did the same to me, that's how I got my G43, My Lux FN-49, and several other nice pieces. (I bought them, but at prices that were a gift) I'll never sell them till I find the "right home" like he did, and I'll tell them about Bert.
Old September 18, 2018, 16:59   #15
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Quote:
I sold a whole bunch of $3 AK mags after one of the elections. Percentage profit was high. Total profit was nothing to crow about.

A LOT of work to get those mags sold.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that again, even at a higher profit percentage.

In my "golden years," the last thing I want to be doing is keeping track of email messages from somebody buying bunches of $19 items from me. At least not unless I'm really desperate.
I went to one Gunshow post Sandy Hook (was working out of state for most of the insanity)

I put #3 AK , AR, etc mags on the table witth a $25 price tag.
Just about everyone walking by would buy 1-3, and i'd reach into the box under the table and put out more.
Id of been there anyway.

I picked up an early 1920's pre M&P at that show for $225, and a 3rd gen factory nickled Detective special (flawless) for $200...(let that one go a couple years ago, $800-$900)

Let me know when you can tell me of a better place to put my money.
Old September 18, 2018, 23:23   #16
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Sell them now.

Yep. Starting to dump most everything I'm not shooting. I'm 51 this year. My daughter, when she gets old enough to make decisions will be asked if she wants my Dad's precious custom made Churchill English made shotgun (I'll be hurt if she doesn't) or not along with any other guns I still have and if not, they will be gone. I'm an official gun nut but life is short and I have more projects than I need or can justify a use for. I can't tell you how many guns I have that I have either never fired a shot through them or haven't in the last 5 years.

Guns have been very good to me over the years but nowhere near as good as real estate when I was actively working it. For passive investing, guns are pretty good right now but there is going to a time when the gun isn't worth as much as the ammo that feeds it when the SHTF...

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 23:25   #17
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

I bought a pallet Jack specifically to move my ammo around.

Now back on topic....
Old October 10, 2018, 15:06   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I'll be 63 next month. Only my oldest son has any REAL interest in firearms and the rest of them have ZERO interest in maintaining them. I am trying to sell off everything I own but everyone around here is basically broke. Craigslist sales here are a PITA. Plus, selling guns is even harder. Then, most douche bags just want you to give it to them.

I have a few friends, relatives and ass-ociates that are worthy of my guns and I would love to see their faces when I hand them over but their ******* spouses bitch about having guns in the house or having MORE guns, so I am afraid some dumb bitch would just toss my fine rifles, pistols and shotguns in the trash when their hubby is not looking or not around.

However, this is still not keeping me from going over to The Dark Side. The incessant lure of an AR-10 that is easier to clean, easier to scope, easier to maintain, easier to shoot, cheaper mags, cheaper spare parts, and (possibly) more reliable than a FAL or M-14 clone has my stomach in knots until I get one that works as advertised.

Maybe trading at the local gunshow might work. I almost had (3) different riders trade me their Kawasaki ZRX 1100 and 1200 for guns and other goods but all (3) backed out when I got them to the table. One Coast Guard officer said he would trade me guns for his bike but he was from Florida, his driver's license was still in Florida and I didn't want to risk any trouble for dealing with out-of-state gun laws. We probably could have gone through with it, but it was to much hassle through the local shop.

Jarhead

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 16:52   #19
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
The incessant lure of an AR-10 that is easier to clean, easier to scope, easier to maintain, easier to shoot, cheaper mags, cheaper spare parts, and (possibly) more reliable than a FAL or M-14 clone has my stomach in knots until I get one that works as advertised.
I've got an AR-10.

Well the DPMS version of it anyway. Fine rifle. Accurate as hell.
Shoots that 7.62 ammo I've got piled in the basement.

Last time I shot it was....
Hell if I know. Long fugkin' time ago.

I keep "meaning to shoot it."
Jeez, if its come to that,... WTF.

Next range trip, I know I'm shooting my two Garands.
Unless it gets cancelled,... in which case the next planned range trip after that is another Garand outing.
After that, it will be 1903 Springfield for a month.

Then it gets cold, and I keep getting old.

Meanwhile, I've got an oil pan that's leaking in one car, EVERYTHING that's leaking in another car, a truck that still needs the interior put back together, and a fast car I haven't been able to drive because it has been fugking raining non-stop since May. Then there's the dishwasher we can only run if you operate it from the breaker panel, and the fugking hot water heater that needs to have the pilot and thermocouple replaced. And the holidays. Those lovely holidays where I get to impersonate a door stop, while the inlaws' dogs piss all over the house, and no meal is ever served on time.

Old October 10, 2018, 16:58   #20
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
My philosophy must be a little different. I'm not done accumulating, even though I did liquidate several of the (at least to me) very high value items to finance the new shop. Each to his own. I am neither ashamed nor sorry that I have more rifles that I can physically shoot at one time.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 17:07   #21
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
My philosophy must be a little different. I'm not done accumulating, even though I did liquidate several of the (at least to me) very high value items to finance the new shop. Each to his own. I am neither ashamed nor sorry that I have more rifles that I can physically shoot at one time.

krf
No reason to regret anything if you are satisfied with your situation.

I never did acquire especially valuable firearms. Most all were acquired with a bent toward usefulness, rather than collector-value.

I've got a lot of it sold-off or squared away. But, I can feel another move coming. Not looking forward to moving all that stuff. Not one bit.

Its the inexpensive stuff that flummoxes me worst. Not worth selling, and nobody I would want to have it even wants it. I probably have a dozen guns that are each worth less than $100 (air rifles, old shotguns, .22's). Probably another dozen handguns that are worth about $200 each. Just give it away to strangers at a swap meet? No, that doesn't sit well with me either.

And of course the ammo. I'll shoot it one day.

Old October 10, 2018, 17:18   #22
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
WEG/Gary and Gman, actually anyone else that's dumped a large collection of firearms, suggestions on how to do it would be most appreciated for those of us looking to do it now.

Don't want to leave all this stuff picked up over 50 yrs for mama to deal with.

Getting old is a real pain in the ass, I mean, really, a true pain in the ass.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 17:27   #23
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
actually anyone else that's dumped a large collection of firearms, suggestions on how to do it would be most appreciated for those of us looking to do it now.
FALs and really anything military, sell it here in the MP.

Hunting rifles and high end collectibles, off to Gonebroker.

Common everyday stuff like low end shottys or pistols, etc. that are not worth shipping, local FTF sales.

Keep what you want to have with you until "the end" and the stuff you know your kids will want (talk to them about this so you are on the same page).

My two cents Paul. I hope you are well brother and not making quick exit plans just yet ?
Old October 10, 2018, 18:09   #24
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I had some nice N-frame guns I sold at a little bit below market-price to a friend who is older than me. Face to face. I know his family is generally "into" guns. So, they stand a chance of surviving past his generation.

I sold a number of guns on Gunbroker. Real PITA to do it right. Gotta get a good box for the long guns. Write a really good description, with language that protects you. But, realize that buyers mostly won't read any caveats or disclaimers. So do your best to avoid transactions with people against whom you might have to enforce such caveats/disclaimers. PM me if you want my boilerplate.

I found that the deals where I had the WORST experiences on Gunbroker were for the less-expensive items. People who wouldn't respond promptly or coherently. A couple non-paying bidders.

I sold a few guns, and some ammo (when ammo was in shortage) locally on the ARFCOM Equipment Exchange.

Remember too, you can sell guns (including handguns) to in-state residents without any FFL intermediary. This includes sending (via UPS) a handgun to someone you never met. I only did that once. And that was after the guy had agreed per terms of the Gunbroker deal to receive the gun at an FFL. I spoke with him on the phone, and concluded that he was a decent-sounding fellow. I had to explain the no-FFL-necessary thing to him. Saved him some money, and he sounded like the sort of fellow who could really appreciate saving a transfer fee. That was one of the best "made me feel good" gun deals I've done. Although, I suppose it could go the other way. You know, gun arrives in a box on the porch, kids get into it, bad news, etc.

Selling less-expensive handguns. Shipping is super PITA if you do it by the book. Criminal to ship handguns via USPS if you aren't FFL. Supposed to use UPS "hub" for handguns. Usually a big hassle, because you are supposed to (by contract - not by law) declare what is the contents of the package. Some hub clerks can get flat-out bizarre over guns. Alternatively, you can UPS out of a UPS store if you are shipping "gate hinges." Or so I've heard. No insurance coverage for gate hinges. If your gate hinges go missing, you have to refund to the customer. Gate hinges generally are unmolested in transit. Or so I've heard.

Long guns shipped go USPS in a proper Fulton Armory box. I've never had the USPS clerks give me one ounce of shit over it. They never ask what is actually in the box. Just the usual, "wiquid, hazawdous, pewishlable..."

Might want to check to see if some of your stuff is Curio-and-Relic eligible. I believe technically anything over 50 years old is automatically C&R unless ATF says it isn't. I don't mind shipping to a C&R guy if that smoothes the deal. And, he probably isn't a criminal - although he may be a nut if he's still accumulating all this stuff that he will never do anything with.

Sell them ONE at a time to keep from losing your mind. If you get multiple sales working simultaneously, unless you are meticulous, and you have a high threshold for fugkery, you will get brain-cramped.

Low-end AR's and AK's you can hardly give away in the current market. I got out of most of those, because I figured I'd be in the old-folks-home, or at least in the middle of moving by the time the next "panic buy" came around. Besides, I sold a lot of shit during previous panics. My takeaway is that it was a huge pain in the ass. Yeah, I didn't lose money on some guns. Might have even made a smidgen profit on a few. Ony way I felt like it was "worth it" was that I got them gone. I wanted them gone, more than I needed the money.

One gun at a time.

And go to the range. Shoot some of that stuff!
The stuff you never shoot, you never will shoot, and you just end up moving it around for the next guy. Fugk that.

I do still have TWO FAL's.
Yeah, I know the apostrophe is incorrect. But "FALs" looks stupid to me.
I'll keep those two. They arent THAT heavy.

Probably need to take some new pics. I think I took these with a 2004-vintage 4 megapixel snapshot camera.
The bottom pic I recognize as the old red splooge futon. That had to be even before 2004. Probably a 1 megapixel camera.
I still have the 4 megapixel camera. And extra batteries!
Ask me if I ever use it.

Last edited by W.E.G.; October 10, 2018 at 18:29.
Old October 10, 2018, 19:52   #25
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Well I once buried a small 32 auto for near 10 years and it came up just fine. Basically just used Hoppes gun oil all over it, then vacuum sealed it in Mylar. Then it went into a sealed steeled can into a hole in the ground about 3 feet deep.

YMMV

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018, 20:58   #26
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Got reminded a few minutes ago of another reasons I don't blow em out.
I used to have a little business renting guns to movies.

Got a call from a demo guy I used to work with a couple hours ago.
I'm in PT and in no shape to do it, but one of the guys I've hired to help in the past is probably gonna make us both some money.
1911's, P35's, Smiths, some hunting rifles, and a reason I have a pile of duplicate 870's.

Last year was good for $5k, one day I made $550 in 59 minutes!
Old October 10, 2018, 22:10   #27
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
FALs and really anything military, sell it here in the MP.

Hunting rifles and high end collectibles, off to Gonebroker.

Common everyday stuff like low end shottys or pistols, etc. that are not worth shipping, local FTF sales.

Keep what you want to have with you until "the end" and the stuff you know your kids will want (talk to them about this so you are on the same page).

My two cents Paul. I hope you are well brother and not making quick exit plans just yet ?

Thanks.
No, health is fine, just getting older by the day.
Son, the retired Marine, he's gunned up, me, only so many grand kids left to gift, like Gary, have given away several to folks kids I know that are decent, with mama and daddy working hard just to feed them.
Got two and three of so many, and again, ain't shooting them, just sitting in gun safes.
I'll give it a try here.
Got a couple/three M1 carbines, nice ones, extra STg 58's, an extra L1A1 or two, AK's from it seems several countries, Smith revolvers, even a Wiselite Sterling here, of course the mags today cost as much as the rifle when packaged as a deal.
Saw folks talking about those FN HP's, got a brand new one, never fired, been here for decades.
Time to get off my ass and spread the wealth.

Old October 10, 2018, 22:14   #28
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I had some nice N-frame guns I sold at a little bit below market-price to a friend who is older than me. Face to face. I know his family is generally "into" guns. So, they stand a chance of surviving past his generation.

I sold a number of guns on Gunbroker. Real PITA to do it right. Gotta get a good box for the long guns. Write a really good description, with language that protects you. But, realize that buyers mostly won't read any caveats or disclaimers. So do your best to avoid transactions with people against whom you might have to enforce such caveats/disclaimers. PM me if you want my boilerplate.

I found that the deals where I had the WORST experiences on Gunbroker were for the less-expensive items. People who wouldn't respond promptly or coherently. A couple non-paying bidders.

I sold a few guns, and some ammo (when ammo was in shortage) locally on the ARFCOM Equipment Exchange.

Remember too, you can sell guns (including handguns) to in-state residents without any FFL intermediary. This includes sending (via UPS) a handgun to someone you never met. I only did that once. And that was after the guy had agreed per terms of the Gunbroker deal to receive the gun at an FFL. I spoke with him on the phone, and concluded that he was a decent-sounding fellow. I had to explain the no-FFL-necessary thing to him. Saved him some money, and he sounded like the sort of fellow who could really appreciate saving a transfer fee. That was one of the best "made me feel good" gun deals I've done. Although, I suppose it could go the other way. You know, gun arrives in a box on the porch, kids get into it, bad news, etc.

Selling less-expensive handguns. Shipping is super PITA if you do it by the book. Criminal to ship handguns via USPS if you aren't FFL. Supposed to use UPS "hub" for handguns. Usually a big hassle, because you are supposed to (by contract - not by law) declare what is the contents of the package. Some hub clerks can get flat-out bizarre over guns. Alternatively, you can UPS out of a UPS store if you are shipping "gate hinges." Or so I've heard. No insurance coverage for gate hinges. If your gate hinges go missing, you have to refund to the customer. Gate hinges generally are unmolested in transit. Or so I've heard.

Long guns shipped go USPS in a proper Fulton Armory box. I've never had the USPS clerks give me one ounce of shit over it. They never ask what is actually in the box. Just the usual, "wiquid, hazawdous, pewishlable..."

Might want to check to see if some of your stuff is Curio-and-Relic eligible. I believe technically anything over 50 years old is automatically C&R unless ATF says it isn't. I don't mind shipping to a C&R guy if that smoothes the deal. And, he probably isn't a criminal - although he may be a nut if he's still accumulating all this stuff that he will never do anything with.

Sell them ONE at a time to keep from losing your mind. If you get multiple sales working simultaneously, unless you are meticulous, and you have a high threshold for fugkery, you will get brain-cramped.

Low-end AR's and AK's you can hardly give away in the current market. I got out of most of those, because I figured I'd be in the old-folks-home, or at least in the middle of moving by the time the next "panic buy" came around. Besides, I sold a lot of shit during previous panics. My takeaway is that it was a huge pain in the ass. Yeah, I didn't lose money on some guns. Might have even made a smidgen profit on a few. Ony way I felt like it was "worth it" was that I got them gone. I wanted them gone, more than I needed the money.

One gun at a time.

And go to the range. Shoot some of that stuff!
The stuff you never shoot, you never will shoot, and you just end up moving it around for the next guy. Fugk that.

I do still have TWO FAL's.
Yeah, I know the apostrophe is incorrect. But "FALs" looks stupid to me.
I'll keep those two. They arent THAT heavy.

Probably need to take some new pics. I think I took these with a 2004-vintage 4 megapixel snapshot camera.
The bottom pic I recognize as the old red splooge futon. That had to be even before 2004. Probably a 1 megapixel camera.
I still have the 4 megapixel camera. And extra batteries!
Ask me if I ever use it.

Thanks Gary.
Yep, one at a time.
Will pull out a load, store them in one location, one safe, then unload them one at a time.

Old October 11, 2018, 07:50   #29
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
For long term storage I would wax them and store in mylar bags. I have a 1842 Aston pistol that came out of a collection that was waxed which turned to a brownish hard coating. I started to remove it once to see what it was like underneath (which was very nice) but stopped and chose to leave the stuff on. Grease will soak into wood which may not be desirable.

As far as purging goes, I'm not quite ready. After years of hoarding I'm old enough to start thinking about it and have sold off a few that were nothing special but I think I will continue to sit on the core. As noted already, they have held their value well and certainly are better then money in the bank but with some risk. I have no heirs except for a niece and nephew that I tried to get into shooting years ago but had about zero interest. The nephew who is in his mid 20s recently bought an AR and a Glock after moving to SC though so he might be interested in a FAL. The new roof on the barn will probably be paid for with Mausers and Springfields.
Old October 11, 2018, 12:26   #30
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Range trip planned for Sunday.

Burn another hunnert rounds.

Old October 11, 2018, 22:32   #31
ddbtoth
Registered

FALaholic #: 3495
Quote:
I've got an AR-10.

Well the DPMS version of it anyway. Fine rifle. Accurate as hell.
Shoots that 7.62 ammo I've got piled in the basement.

Last time I shot it was....
Hell if I know. Long fugkin' time ago.

I keep "meaning to shoot it."
Jeez, if its come to that,... WTF.

Next range trip, I know I'm shooting my two Garands.
Unless it gets cancelled,... in which case the next planned range trip after that is another Garand outing.
After that, it will be 1903 Springfield for a month.

Then it gets cold, and I keep getting old.

Meanwhile, I've got an oil pan that's leaking in one car, EVERYTHING that's leaking in another car, a truck that still needs the interior put back together, and a fast car I haven't been able to drive because it has been fugking raining non-stop since May. Then there's the dishwasher we can only run if you operate it from the breaker panel, and the fugking hot water heater that needs to have the pilot and thermocouple replaced. And the holidays. Those lovely holidays where I get to impersonate a door stop, while the inlaws' dogs piss all over the house, and no meal is ever served on time.
You should drink a lot more.
ddbtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018, 23:15   #32
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
im not sure how you define long term.

But i have some of my toys in gun rugs and my safe and some have been in those rugs and safe for 10+ years. I use to check all my guns every year and give them another oily rag wipe down, but the last several years, ive been lazy.

All i have done is to give them a good cleaning and a oil and wipe down with oily rag.

if you have any nickel finish guns, they will require something else. The gun oil i have used will stain the finish overtime. I think i read that someplace.

In my wood shop i have some of this Boeshield T-9. Its a liquid paraffin wax. But i use it on the table on my table saw. Its cast iron and i give it a good cleaning before winter and a good coating of the T-9. Unless someone puts something wet on the table, its good all winter. I haven used any on my guns, but im considering it.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018, 01:06   #33
Raggedwhole!
Registered

FALaholic #: 74227
I might have a few items that are stored long term. Take off the furniture, put a little linseed oil on it and vacuum seal it. Take the rest, thoroughly clean it and give it a light coat of high quality grease and put it in a zip lock bag. Put it all somewhere that nobody knows about and the temperature remains constant(bury it in a sealed plastic container).
Raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2018, 18:17   #34
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

90 rounds on target from two Garands today.

Garand match in 6 days.

I’ll store them on the floor until then.

Old October 15, 2018, 06:50   #35
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
As heir of a close friend, I was tasked with finding homes for myriad guns, ammoes and supplies this year.
When I got done with that (8 months), I just kept on going...selling off numerous of my own.
I am still going...one at a time.
I will pare down some more going forward, pay some of wifey's lingering medical bills and rebuild the household emergency fund.
I shoot everything I own, multiple times, every year. Last year I blew through ~12,500 rounds and so far this year ~6000.
A typical year is ~10,000 combined rimfire, factory and handloads.
This last weekend, I sold a *battle rifle,* burned 225 handgun rounds breaking in a carry piece, 150 rounds in rimfire handgun practice and 60 rounds in a service rifle match. Good times!
My goal is to (again) get down to the core arms and work hard at wearing them out before I succumb to this life and meet my demise.
As it stands, I have too many guns to wear out in my lifetime and no heirs.

Gods love youse guys in this thread!
I'm paddling a similar boat right along side you.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2018, 07:55   #36
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I won $20 and second place in the “Garand class” at last week’s Rivanna annual championship. Beat the third place guy by ONE point. Thank goodness I did. Because third place was also LAST place!

Old October 16, 2018, 20:20   #37
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I don't think guns are a great investment compared to investing in good index funds.

Personally I've bought a bunch of guns, mostly S&W revolvers over last several years. I figure the metal guns will hold value. Also stocked up on ARs as they are fun to build. I figure the ARs are a depreciating asset unless the anti-gunners get traction - I'd just as soon they keep losing value.

I don't see the point in buying collector pieces to keep - usually if I trade into something too nice to shoot I sell it.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 07:29   #38
madrad62
Registered

FALaholic #: 78107
I mostly just cleanthe holy crap out of them,then wipe a heavy layer of oil[your favorite brand] let sit for a day then wipe excess off and wipe with grease[your favorite brand].I've never had anything rust[that was,nt already].the only problem is with the old milsurps that the damn mold keeps coming back after 3-5 years[on the wood].I've used antifungal foot spray,leather cleaning stuff,wood cleaning stuff,the foot spray seems to last the longest.
the grease is a pain in butt to get off for shooting,but undernieth its clean and shinny.Plus it looks cool when they get hot and start to smoke[grease under wood on the barrel].
On the other subject!,I have started to thin the herd[I'm 56]have two kids that have minimal interest,how many differant kinds of .22,s does a guy need? Do I need to keep things that need repaired or updated? should I keep things I will never use?[nib,collector type,obsolete cartridge,ect,ect]Sometimes I feel like a hostage to them. I have started to sell off less desireable things to fund other cooler stuff[mags,optics,rpk ,fal,ak builds,ect,ect]. I do enjoy it! the other day a friend had a rom akm that didnt run for shit,a half hour and a coulpe mill files and a sqirt gun i had it running like greased lighting. Where does it all end up? You cant take it with you!
madrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 08:55   #39
ddbtoth
Registered

FALaholic #: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrad62 View Post
I mostly just cleanthe holy crap out of them,then wipe a heavy layer of oil[your favorite brand] let sit for a day then wipe excess off and wipe with grease[your favorite brand].I've never had anything rust[that was,nt already].the only problem is with the old milsurps that the damn mold keeps coming back after 3-5 years[on the wood].I've used antifungal foot spray,leather cleaning stuff,wood cleaning stuff,the foot spray seems to last the longest.
the grease is a pain in butt to get off for shooting,but undernieth its clean and shinny.Plus it looks cool when they get hot and start to smoke[grease under wood on the barrel].
On the other subject!,I have started to thin the herd[I'm 56]have two kids that have minimal interest,how many differant kinds of .22,s does a guy need? Do I need to keep things that need repaired or updated? should I keep things I will never use?[nib,collector type,obsolete cartridge,ect,ect]Sometimes I feel like a hostage to them. I have started to sell off less desireable things to fund other cooler stuff[mags,optics,rpk ,fal,ak builds,ect,ect]. I do enjoy it! the other day a friend had a rom akm that didnt run for shit,a half hour and a coulpe mill files and a sqirt gun i had it running like greased lighting. Where does it all end up? You cant take it with you!
I'm in the same boat- have more than I can shoot, no one to leave them to. Everytime I think I need to go get something else (i.e., CZ Skorpion to drop into a Manicore Bull pup chassis), I'll go back and pull unshot guns out of the safe till I feel foolish. Then I'll spend a 1/3 of the supposed gun money on ammo, thinking that I'm actually saving myself money.
ddbtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2018, 09:45   #40
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

You can keep accumulating this-oddball-thing and that-oddball-thing, and once in a rare while dragging them out to the range on the notion that anybody who matters really gives a shit what you are doing, or whether you have an FN, or a Colt, or a Model 1 Sales.

Or, you can make an honest assessment of what you want to do with "guns," and configure your equipment so that you have the right guns for what you really think you are going to do.

I figure I've got about 200 range trips left in me. Not going to waste any of them doing "fam-fire" with some weird thing that I would never compete with, or never hunt with, or would never be my first choice for self-defense. Once you know what is worth having, get an extra barrel or two if you must. Maybe an extra trigger. Then go out there and ACTUALLY SHOOT. Your chance to burn those 200 remaining range-trips grows less-and-less with each passing moment.

Now, if your "thing" with guns is just accumulating them, I'm not a hater. Go for it. But at least do it with some plan in mind for where it ends.

Old October 30, 2018, 02:26   #41
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

Range trips?

I have killed rabbits while standing in my garage.I
(I could hunt deer from my bedroom window)
My pistol range is 25 steps from my house.

If I could still shoot a .50 I could have a 880 yard range with 30 min of dozer work.
Old October 30, 2018, 18:14   #42
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Collecting is collecting. Its not shooting or investing. I dont shoot a large portion of my collection. Primarily because i have duplicate krags and Garands and I always have a shooter of each out of the bunch. I dont plan to shoot my 1961 G series Fal or my BSA L1a1 much at all. I do shoot my scar 17 and my DSA / LMT 50.00 FAL quite a bit. The guns that dont get shot spend a lot of time out of the safe and in my office. When I need a mental health break they get turned over and over in my hands and admired for their workmanship, aesthetic, and historical value. Sometimes their sights get played with and they get shouldered for some imaginary pew pew. They make me happy. I will sell a few when I am retired and take the wife to New Zealand. Beyond that I will leave whatever my son wants to him to enjoy or for him to sell for the money for his childs future. I dont care what happens to my guns when I am dead.
Old Yesterday, 13:28   #43
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Late to this for input, but.

I have done some searching and investigating on making donations to museum type organizations. Some guys may have a very "collectible" and or "historical" firearm.
As you may have noticed the NRA Museum is taking in a great number of whole personal collections. Yep, WW2 guys hung on to them, no one to give them to or the kidz could care less.
So they donate to a museum as the last resort. Thats all good and dandy if that is what you want, or the only way to reduce the estate or issues the executor will have to deal with.

BUT . . . read the arrangement and transfer of ownership papers before the pen to paper xfer. Out of 4 well know museums, 4 have included wording that after transfer, they are not
obligated to display the gift. They can "sell" yours on the open market, their private buyers, or at auction, in order to buy another that they deem "more" collectible, "more" rare, "more" historic.

So in many donation cases you give & they sell !
Sorry i have added to the quandary.

A thought though, why not fight for a good sale price while you can, and grin all the way to the bank. Rather than leave it to a decision situation by those who don't have a clue,
or want to know or understand what you left behind for them to deal with. The majority of the time its a call to the LGS, and you KNOW what they will offer
And those stacked up kits, with cosmo and dirt, and pieces of diamond in the rough. yep, may go to the Local PD for disposal as . . . .scrap!
Down size while you can & spent the same amount of time you did buying, to find the good stuff a GOOD home.
Down size but leave your self a few toys to shoot.
For whats left write out a directive of what to do with them.
a. give them to ????
b. donate this to organization
c. This one goes to Fred F.
D. That one goes to Joe B.

I don't plan on having the big one tomorrow, but the directive is written, and I no longer buy "highly desirable" I keep the buy and sell traffic on low.
Even got rid of the big safe, and only have a 16 gun unit !
And have disposed of all high end items except 1 via auction events. You'd be amazed at the money they are getting for ?????

The helping reason for this......... 4 times in 24 months ( 1 had no will ) I've been asked to "please, help" what do we do with these guns and stuff.

there are options . . . . . time flies when we are having fun . . . . not looking
And I'm sure we will all agree . . .for those that don't have a Final will, and patient advocacy made out . . . . . HEY NUM NUTZ, get er done !

Last edited by Scout10; Yesterday at 22:54.
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote