Originally Posted by Slickstick55 View Post
Free bump, thank you peon.
Insulting people. Good plan!
firedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 14:03   #52
Slickstick55
Registered

FALaholic #: 82378
We made it to two pages folks, thank you all for the good information. The real ones know who they are, for the other peasants and serfs on this post, please kick rocks in the street.

Slickstick55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 14:44   #53
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
off topic sorry, but curious, is there even a range near to you (Morton Grove) that you can shoot a rifle? I know for a long time your rifle was forbidden in Cook County and Morton Grove had a hand gun ban too. I think there was a place in Des Plaines.. Maxxon gun range? It was several years ago and they wouldn't let any semi-auto rifles on the range (I used to live in IL too).
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 15:29   #54
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
off topic sorry, but curious, is there even a range near to you (Morton Grove) that you can shoot a rifle? I know for a long time your rifle was forbidden in Cook County and Morton Grove had a hand gun ban too. I think there was a place in Des Plaines.. Maxxon gun range? It was several years ago and they wouldn't let any semi-auto rifles on the range (I used to live in IL too).
Wow you are spot on brother, yes Maxon's range is still operating. It is fairly close to me, about 25 minutes drive where they will allow me to fire my Mosins, SKS's, and AK's. So I doubt they'll have an issue with the FAL.

Now there is a range right on the border of Lincolnwood and chicago called Shore Galleries which is literally 10 minutes from my house, but they only allow calibers up to .223/556...wouldn't let me fire 7.62 or 5.45x39.

Other ranges a little bit further to the north called...something like article 2 or something of that nature.
Old Yesterday, 08:30   #55
Slickstick55
Registered

Range day update!

So I finally got to shoot this thing and damn firing the .308 is a blast, thing beats your shoulder like no other.

ONE PROBLEM: The bolt for what ever reason would not eject the round and chamber another one. In fact, the bolt seemingly wouldn't move at all, which would require me to manually eject the casing. At times, it would become EXTREMELY difficult to take the round out.

Looks like it is having some sort of gas issue, I tried messing with the adjustable gas ring up front, but it seemed like none of the settings really seemed to do much.

When I got home, I finally was able to take the gas piston plug off and the piston itself out for the first time (I was not able to do so before). The piston shot out like it normally should have, but the piston spring would not come out. I eventually got it out because I was cleaning the hell out of the gas piston hole...thing with a long cleaning tool that had a wool attachment on it. I scrubbed the hell out of the piston, piston spring, gas plug, and the piston chamber for the first time. It was all filthy, but not filthy enough to really stop it from cycling..or so I think. Anyhow, it is all squeaky clean and cleaned up real nice, the spring is no longer stuck but falls in and out correctly.

Something with the rifle receiving correct amount of gas is happening, I tried reading up and learned that the rifle will not get enough gas and force the spent casing back into the chamber. Which is what seemed to happen with me.

In terms of firing the rifle, the mags worked great, rounds were getting chambered with no issue and wouldn't have issues to go into battery. This thing spits a massive fireball out and is LOUD AS F**K. Definitely was getting attention at the range with the red paint and punisher magazine. It was essentially functioning as a bolt gun, but the sights were spot on, as I made no adjustments and they were right on target.

IF anyone has any ideas about why the bolt wouldn't be ejecting a spent casing after firing it please drop below.

Oh....BTT
Old Yesterday, 08:33   #56
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Gas plug turned to grenade setting is the most likely culprit.
Old Yesterday, 08:34   #57
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Gas plug turned to grenade setting is the most likely culprit.
How do I know which setting is grenade and which is not. I have the gas plug that has the little L shaped button that rotates like 270 degrees?
Old Yesterday, 08:35   #58
Tak
Registered

Is the gas plug inserted with the proper orientation? One time after cleaning the gas tube on my L1A1 I unwittingly put the gas plug in upside down and the rifle that once worked fine would not cycle whatsoever.

You might want to remove your for sale post until you work out what you really want to do with the rifle at this point. Just a suggestion. Good luck to you.
Old Yesterday, 08:37   #59
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
How do I know which setting is grenade and which is not. I have the gas plug that has the little L shaped button that rotates like 270 degrees?
I don't know about the L piece, but the plug should have a fore& aft slot. Slot up for shooting. Slot down for grenade. May have a G stamped on opposite side of slot as well.

If no marks just try it. If it does not work, flip it 180 degrees.
Old Yesterday, 08:42   #60
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Is the gas plug inserted with the proper orientation? One time after cleaning the gas tube on my L1A1 I unwittingly put the gas plug in upside down and the rifle that once worked fine would not cycle whatsoever.

You might want to remove your for sale post until you work out what you really want to do with the rifle at this point. Just a suggestion. Good luck to you.
Well I definitely still want to trade this rifle for something else or sell it to someone who appreciates these rifles more than myself, just want to get more info out to prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I don't know about the L piece, but the plug should have a fore& aft slot. Slot up for shooting. Slot down for grenade. May have a G stamped on opposite side of slot as well.

If no marks just try it. If it does not work, flip it 180 degrees.

You know that does make sense, I will try that next time I get to the range. I know exactly what you mean.
Old Yesterday, 08:46   #61
Tobias Took
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79463
When you take out the gas plug you will see that it has a big gas hole on one side only. That hole needs to be pointing down toward the barrel so orient it accordingly.

Or just try it both ways like the man said.
Tobias Took is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10   #62
marktc223
01 FFL Dealer/Gunsmith

FALaholic #: 77992
The gas port hole in the barrel could also be blocked. This can be checked by plugging the chamber end of the barrel, leave the gas plug out and applying low air pressure to the muzzle end. You should hear air escaping from the gas block. If no air is escaping, you need to remove the front sight post and run a small drill bit by hand in the hole right behind where the sight post screws in to clean out the barrel gas port. Don't have my specs in front of me right now, but a .100" drill bit should work for this.

Last edited by marktc223; Yesterday at 09:16.
marktc223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10   #63
Tak
Registered

http://www.falforum.com/index.php?me...ersmanual-pdf/

See page 19 Illustration #26 about the gas plug.

The one on my rifle didn't have the 'A' marking, but had a large slot on the outer surface (where you'd grip the thing with finger and thumb while putting it back in...can't miss it)
Old Yesterday, 09:38   #64
Slickstick55
Registered

Good information all thank you, when I get home I am going to get a video and photos of how the orientation of everything is, I'll send photos of my gas plug, piston, etc.

Beyond this seemingly maybe easy gas fix, the rifle seems to be good everywhere else which was a genuine shock.
Old Yesterday, 09:41   #65
Tobias Took
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79463
Quote:
Beyond this seemingly maybe easy gas fix, the rifle seems to be good everywhere else which was a genuine shock.

FALs can take a lot of abuse. Strongk, like bull!
Tobias Took is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55   #66
Slickstick55
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Took View Post
FALs can take a lot of abuse. Strongk, like bull!
Well with it being a Century rifle, the world led me to believe that it would disintegrate into dust upon firing or explode in my hands haha.

Open to offers of all kinds yall, we can work something out while I learn to get this tuned out.
Old Today, 11:43   #67
Slickstick55
Registered

PRICE DROP. $800