Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old April 14, 2019, 18:54   #1
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
Duracoated STG 58...

Hello,

I've been out of the FAL scene since the early 2000's and lost track of everything here. Just looking for some input, looking to build up my collection again. Picked up an unissued Argy SARCO build on a Type3 DS forged receiver w 150 rounds on it and my first love in FAL's is the STG 58 cause those kits on an imbel receiver were my entre into the FAL.

So, I want to get another one, missed on a few all matching # kits w/ DS type 2 forged receivers- shame on me for sleeping on that.... Anyways, we used to refinish them back in the early 2000s if you really wanted a "nice one" when the kits were like $260, etc.

I found a very nicely refinished duracoated black/ red / white letters in an Imbel Logo receiver. What do we do now when we see one of those? Do we put them in the "shooter" vs an "appreciater" over time like we would a new DS Arms rifle w cast receiver, US made, etc. ??? You cant see the original condition of the kit/ receiver, etc. so .... ??? Where does this leave me?
STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 08:59   #2
jugrunner
ToxicAlphaMail
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
I "try" to match the receiver to the "look" of the kit .. hard to do on an STG because of the green/gray park but if you lightly rub with very fine steel wool you can get the rec. close to the original "look" .. I have couple of G1/FN 50.00 clones that I have re-done with rattle can engine paint .. baked in oven or Sun (works great) and closely matches the FN painted finish ..

others will have their own way and different opinions ..
Old April 15, 2019, 09:03   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Duracoat looks like duracoat....has a satin sheen. As JR pointed out you can get something of that "been there done that" look by deliberately wearing it thin.

Only paint I've found that gets close to parkerizing is a few thin coats of Brownells Alumahyde, baked on at low temp (IE less than 200 degrees). Not in the over where you eat, I do mine suspended about the stove top and get it just warm enough that I can touch it for a couple of seconds. Unless you have a dip / agitation setup like Arizona Response Systems, you have to wear nitrile gloves and completely degrease all surfaces. I mean completely. And then paint it immediately before shit leaks out from the locking shoulder, etc.

I used Brownells on this riFAL:

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432244

It will still wear like paint though.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 15, 2019 at 09:12.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 12:04   #4
STGguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 81733
refinished Para

I saw your para in the link. Looks great!

My question is it seems that in the 20+ years that Ive been out of our beloved FAL world, just getting back into it, as opposed to when all the kits just came in and were under $300 for a great STG58, refinishing them hurts the value of them as in the case of say a collectible WW2 rifle- Garand, Springfield, Sweedish Mauser, etc.

When I was doing these back in the day, people wanted them refinished, or it wasn't "sac relig" to do so on a good STG 58 kit on a new Imbel receiver for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Duracoat looks like duracoat....has a satin sheen. As JR pointed out you can get something of that "been there done that" look by deliberately wearing it thin.

Only paint I've found that gets close to parkerizing is a few thin coats of Brownells Alumahyde, baked on at low temp (IE less than 200 degrees). Not in the over where you eat, I do mine suspended about the stove top and get it just warm enough that I can touch it for a couple of seconds. Unless you have a dip / agitation setup like Arizona Response Systems, you have to wear nitrile gloves and completely degrease all surfaces. I mean completely. And then paint it immediately before shit leaks out from the locking shoulder, etc.

I used Brownells on this riFAL:

https://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432244

It will still wear like paint though.
STGguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2019, 12:05   #5
ViperOneThree
Registered

FALaholic #: 82400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
beautiFAL