The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 09, 2017, 15:54   #1
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Glock 43 Opinions

Anyone got one? If so, what do you think?
Old November 09, 2017, 15:59   #2
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
I've got one and love it for what it is. Runs all the time, and makes hits out to 100yds without issue.
Old November 09, 2017, 16:46   #3
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Don't own one but shot my friends 43 quite a bit. It's got a good feel to it and not much more felt recoil than the 19. I like it better than the shield. Never been a fan of flock triggers though.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 16:53   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Got to shoot one and hated it, I like the 26 better.
Old November 09, 2017, 17:14   #5
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
Have both a 42 and 43. Love both, reliable as only Glocks and sunrises and sunsets can be.

Vince
vmtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 17:20   #6
mike minihan
Registered

FALaholic #: 16051
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtz View Post
Have both a 42 and 43. Love both, reliable as only Glocks and sunrises and sunsets can be.

Vince

Say,that wasn't a cheap shot at Andys' Foster Grants,was it?
Old November 09, 2017, 18:44   #7
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Don't own one but shot my friends 43 quite a bit. It's got a good feel to it and not much more felt recoil than the 19. I like it better than the shield. Never been a fan of flock triggers though.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you like better about the glock than the shield? The shield is the other handgun I'm curious about...Although, I vowed long ago that I'd never buy an S&W product.
Old November 09, 2017, 19:27   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
It's fine, but I'm still trying to find a use for it. Can't keep it in my front pocket, so I'm still carrying a J frame there, and for IWB, if I can carry the 43, I can carry a 26. And I usually don't carry the 26, because if I can conceal that, I can can conceal a 19 or 17.

But I do have a couple hundred rounds through it with no issues.
Old November 09, 2017, 20:53   #9
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did you like better about the glock than the shield? The shield is the other handgun I'm curious about...Although, I vowed long ago that I'd never buy an S&W product.
Lighter trigger than the shield. It seems to be easier to shoot accurately and recoil less. The shield is excellent as well. I have a shield from when the rebate was going on. 200$ shipped I leave it in the car. But if you're going to carry it on your person I've found you might as well get a bit bigger gun because you don't notice the difference but get a much more shootable higher capacity pistol. I switch between a sig p228 and an hk usp compact.
Old November 09, 2017, 20:57   #10
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what did you like better about the glock than the shield?
The fact that it was a Glock, maybe?
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"
base704 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 21:50   #11
Falfan2017
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by base704 View Post
The fact that it was a Glock, maybe?
Actually no. I don't own a block and probably won't. Don't like the triggers and ugly as sin.
Old November 10, 2017, 10:32   #12
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Before you buy it, try a Kahr. That is the pistol Glock should have made.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 11:27   #13
Falfan2017
Registered

Also try some double stack compacts. I thought it would be nice to have a really small pistol but it's really not all that noticeable.
Old November 10, 2017, 11:39   #14
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
43 and 42 conceal easier. Sheild is a brick. Owned one, and sold it.

Vince
vmtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 14:14   #15
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I like them

Yes it is bit big but they handle nice and shoot well

My only issues

1. Mag cap sucks on them ...I would get baseplate or ETS mags for them if you go for it
2. Ergo can be eh
3. Size def could be smaller for pocket

But frankly I kept it over a k9 khar ( which I love )

Just as it is simply and easy to clean and take down not one of them many many you need 3 hands and a fifth of booze to take apart ..My Khar needed two handes and a hard table to wack it into to take it apart
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 14:30   #16
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
I have one in my backpack next to me, right now.

Took it to the range after I bought it and shot the center out of a target with it. It would not digest the remanufactured ammo I bought at the same gunshow I bought the pistol at but it ran like a clock with brass case CCI Blazer 9mm.

I bought a rawhide type De Santis IWB holster at Academy Sports for $30 and it conceals nicely on my right hip in cargo shorts.

The G43 could be just a touch slimmer but for at least it carries easily, shoots accurately, and is a lot easier to clean than my 1911. I'd buy it over again if I ever needed to.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 14:38   #17
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Bought one and did not like it, sold it and picked up a Ruger LC9s Pro. Nicer trigger, same size and 1 more round in the mag.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 15:33   #18
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Before you buy it, try a Kahr. That is the pistol Glock should have made.
This... or the Ruger LC9s Pro. Both have triggers vastly superior to the 43. The Ruger is the thinnest of the 3 as well. I carry a Kahr .40, the Ruger, and a Sig P320 .40 Compact as my primaries, with my Baby DE .45 in the mix when I don't need to be concealed. The Kahr has the smoothest factory trigger of them all but is a tad long, the Sig is short and crisp (I have an Apex in it), the BDE I carry in the half-cock so heavy DA at first and light SA approaching my 1911 after, but the Ruger is the factory winner for what it is... super thin, light, real sights, and not punishing at all.

I highly recommend test driving them all before making a decision.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 09:36   #19
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I like the G42&43 a lot trying to get the wife comfortable with caring and shooting a Glock to buy her one. She picked out a Khar at LGS liked it in her hand but when she shoot it she hated it. Where the G42 &43 makes sense is when one has small hands, like my wife, and can’t get a good grip on a double stack pistol. Right now she carries and shoots a Colt Government Model 380 auto, only down side is finding a holster that it fits in.

I would agree with Gunplumber that if your going to carry the G26/27 you might as well go to a bigger model.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2017, 10:32   #20
Falfan2017
Registered

Ya I'd agree might as well get a bigger gun.
https://imgur.com/a/3cjMV

This is a shield stacked on an hk usp compact 40 which most would consider a pretty large carry gun. They aren't really that different in size but the bigger usp compact is easier to shoot and holds 12+1 of 40sw
Old November 11, 2017, 11:58   #21
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
I like the G42&43 a lot trying to get the wife comfortable with caring and shooting a Glock to buy her one. She picked out a Khar at LGS liked it in her hand but when she shoot it she hated it. Where the G42 &43 makes sense is when one has small hands, like my wife, and can’t get a good grip on a double stack pistol. Right now she carries and shoots a Colt Government Model 380 auto, only down side is finding a holster that it fits in.

I would agree with Gunplumber that if your going to carry the G26/27 you might as well go to a bigger model.
No need for a bigger gun if you carry a 26, the 19 and 17 mags fit the 26. The 43 has small magazine capacity plus its grip is so small it's hard to press the trigger right. The 26 had a full grip but short enough to hide well plus it's so much easier to get good trigger control.

Might want to look for a holster that fits the sig 380 as they are near the same size as a Colt gov 380. Sig 380 is a near copy of the Colt and caused Colt prices to come way down
Old November 11, 2017, 19:00   #22
Old Sarge
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3030
I like the 43, only issue I have with it is its a bit big for pocket carrying.

Old Sarge
Old November 12, 2017, 22:49   #23
lockjaw
Registered

FALaholic #: 64904
Excellent little gun. I like mine…. and I am not a Glock fan (despite having to carry a 17 and 26 for a living), for whatever it is worth. For work, I carry a 17 and 26 for back up. I prefer the lower single stack profile of the 43 to the 26. The 43 fits smaller in my large hands than the 26, but find the 43 more comfortable to shoot than a 26 without an extension. I can rock the 26 with an extension. But, if I need to put an extension on the 26, I might as well step up to a true medium framed gun.

I don't share the "might as well go bigger" opinion in regard to the 43 (I do in regard to the 26 with extension). I find the 43's size a happy median between micro guns like the LCP and medium frame. I don't have a problem tossing it in my pocket in a pinch (though not my preferred method of carry).

Yep, there are other excellent guns that compete directly with the Glock 43. Isn't America great?!

….

Last edited by lockjaw; November 13, 2017 at 04:52.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 08:49   #24
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Bought a 43 last year. Laid it on the kitchen counter once home. Came back later to find my wife had opened up the box and was holding it. She said, "I like this one. Thanks!" So I bought a second one the next day. Both have the factory night sights. Love it! Shoots great. Loaded with Speer 124gr Gold Dots and carried in a Vedder 'Light Tuck' kydex holster AIWB. Carrier for single extra mag IWB. (Now that I've dropped 30lbs, AIWB is comfortable again) ;-)

I have a Kahr CW40 and agree that its a great little piece. I just never carry it, now.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 09:52   #25
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
I'm just not a "Glock Guy". Try as I might, (and I have), they're just not for me.

It's not the gun, it's me. I'll eventually end up shooting myself with a Glock.

I was raised, trained, and have always used inglis/HiPower/1911 style action and controls, and have 100% muscle memory for that type and style of pistol.
Which means I either carry Condition 1 or at worst, at quarter cock.
My thumb is automatic, it knows where to go, as does my index finger.
If I had a Glock, I could conceivably see myself tangling up my index finger, and I refuse to take that chance.
I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks, so I just choose to stay away.

So call me what you want, poor trigger control, dangerous,whatever, I call it smart.

My compact pocket gun is a P238, in my shoulder rig resides an Inglis, soon to be retired for a brushed stainless CZ.75b, as soon as the correct one can be sourced and fitted with wood grips that light my flames, and my hip rig contains a box stock Auto Ordnance 1911A1.
Wheelguns can jump to the hip depending upon my mood.

I envy you Glockoholics. They're cool tools. But like old men and new technology, sometimes it's just best to let some stuff pass you by.