The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old August 03, 2018, 12:43   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Super Fly Swatters

I was getting tired of all kinds of flying critters bothering me while I sat on the front porch waiting for my Muze do her business, regular fly swatters just do not measure up to some of the various bees and other flying vermin, so it was time to make a batch of super-fly-swatters

ordered a 12” x 12” x 1/8” sheet of rubber from Amazon, cut that into four squares that are now 6” x 6” x 1/8”, punched airflow holes in them to minimize the “blowout-to-the-side-effect”

then I dug in the corner of the garage and found a stick of rough cut oak 84” long, grabbed the vibratory sander & a 1/4 sheet of 60 grit and sanded it smooth & rounded the edges, that left me cut four pieces 1-3/8” W x 3/8” T x 21” L for handles

of course my different sense of humor dictated proper labeling on the handles, partly out of practicality & partly sense of humor

digging in the junk hardware box yielded some phillips head screws and nuts that fit, the phillips heads went to the rubber and on the side of the handle marked “THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY” for clearance issues, and the nuts on the back side of the handle marked “EXECUTE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE”, used some of my improvised fly head cement (women’s nail polish, Sally Hansens Hard as Nails clear) to lock the threads to prevent the nuts from backing off

the finishing touch was to drill a hole near the end of the handle and attach a loop of para-cord so it can be hung just about anywhere

as I told some people in reference to bees and such …….. when I swing, shit dies !

1 for the front porch
1 for the basement
2 for the garage (1 each bay)

Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 18:36   #2
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
When I was 10 or 12 years old I had a piece of elastic about 18 inches long. I was deadly on flies with that thing. One shot one kill.
Shoots High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 21:40   #3
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Get a Bug A Salt, worth the money.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2018, 21:57   #4
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots High View Post
When I was 10 or 12 years old I had a piece of elastic about 18 inches long. I was deadly on flies with that thing. One shot one kill.
Could you elaborate?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 00:35   #5
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
I've gotten fond of the electric bug swatter/executors/zappers.

You can't "swat" as such but you have to sort of either trap them somewhere or let them fly in to it.
Wasps being the tough little buggers they are, often require several jolts to finish them.

I wish you could get some higher wattage versions.
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 07:44   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
[QUOTE=bykerhd;4616500

I wish you could get some higher wattage versions.[/QUOTE]

Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.............

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 08:42   #7
bykerhd
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.............
Do they sell those at Wally World ?
Sold with the "as seen on TV" stuff, I suppose ?
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 10:12   #8
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Get a Bug A Salt, worth the money.
to equal what I can do w/ one of my super swatters .......

you will need to step up to a .357 w/ shot shells
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old August 04, 2018, 11:06   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykerhd View Post
Do they sell those at Wally World ?
Sold with the "as seen on TV" stuff, I suppose ?
Only sold on TV --- "But wait, there's more ! If you at now, we'll throw in an Uzi 9 mm AND a terminator will deliver it to your door for FREE !!!!".

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old August 04, 2018, 11:09   #10
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Koko, just a guess, but I'm thinking you might want to put washers under the screw heads to help keep them from pulling through the rubber ?

The Bug-a-salt is a lot of fun but the dang things feel like the worst firearm you can imagine, and they don't last all that long considering the price.

Old August 04, 2018, 11:28   #11
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Koko, just a guess, but I'm thinking you might want to put washers under the screw heads to help keep them from pulling through the rubber ?

The Bug-a-salt is a lot of fun but the dang things feel like the worst firearm you can imagine, and they don't last all that long considering the price.

originally was going to use washers but, the bolts/screws that I found in the junk hardware box had huge heads so it was a easy choice

the drill bit that I pulled out of the index without checking size proved to be "Goldilocks", I had to screw the bolts/screws thru the wood

already destroyed a hornet this AM w/ a super swatter, serious splat !

my one buddy saw them yesterday and started laughing saying; "you have too much time on your hands" ..... then he wanted to take one to smack his woman on the ass ...... told him, no she will not care for that at all
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old August 04, 2018, 17:45   #12
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I love it when a man sees and accepts his mission with enthusiasm.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 20:01   #13
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Sooo, I bought an “Executioner” off of Amazon and it works great for flys and moths. Nice heavy zap blows legs and wings off of flys. Did some looking on YouTube and discovered that you can increase the zap by adding another capacitor, I will be picking one up at Radio Shack next trip to town.
This is the time of year that yellow jacket wasps show up around the shop looking for a place to winter over, I can hardly wait.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 20:14   #14
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Got my nephews "Bug A Salt" guns. Now they are addicted and go outside to "hunt" flies. Go figure.
Old August 10, 2018, 06:00   #15
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
Sooo, I bought an “Executioner” off of Amazon and it works great for flys and moths. Nice heavy zap blows legs and wings off of flys. Did some looking on YouTube and discovered that you can increase the zap by adding another capacitor, I will be picking one up at Radio Shack next trip to town.
This is the time of year that yellow jacket wasps show up around the shop looking for a place to winter over, I can hardly wait.
Still got a Radio Shack thereabouts?

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018, 13:13   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Got my nephews "Bug A Salt" guns. Now they are addicted and go outside to "hunt" flies. Go figure.
How does it far with wasps?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote