The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 16, 2017, 19:30   #1
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
keymod vs m-lock

OK... pondering an AR, simply because as others have said prices are bottoming out.

So ... keymod vs mlock...

Whats the difference? They both do the same job yes? Is this a VHS vs Betamax?

Do I even want one of these types of handguards? I'm not the type to dangle all sorts of crap off my rifle/carbine... Going back to look at the actual upper I'm considering, I'll need to add 2 sling studs.

Felt them today in the gunshop, both felt the same (no cheese grater like the railed hardguards), but both were metal... and awful close to that barrel. With my FAL, I swap the metal hand guards for nice thick walnut, keeps me from needing a chick'n mitt. Will I need a chick'n mitt for an AR with this type of forearm?

Last edited by fnogger; July 16, 2017 at 19:48.
fnogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 20:36   #2
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
More like HD Movies vs Bluray Movies, with Keymod being HD. See any HD Movies or players around...

US Military recently tested both with Mlok coming out on top.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31...apon-programs/
rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 20:50   #3
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Meh - they both do the same job. If you're not a craphanger then it REALLY doesn't matter. If you might want to hang crap one day, just be sure you can buy the craphanger part that fits your handguard.

As for metal being that close to the barrel - they are all aluminum (which transfers heat MUCH better than steel) with more holes than metal, so they stay very cool. I've done a ton of rapid fire through mine and had no issues.
Old July 16, 2017, 21:02   #4
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
As for metal being that close to the barrel - they are all aluminum (which transfers heat MUCH better than steel) with more holes than metal, so they stay very cool. I've done a ton of rapid fire through mine and had no issues.
And knowing your competitive streak, that says a lot to me. Thanks
Old July 16, 2017, 21:03   #5
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgonoles View Post
More like HD Movies vs Bluray Movies, with Keymod being HD. See any HD Movies or players around...

US Military recently tested both with Mlok coming out on top.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/03/31...apon-programs/
Welp, that solves that.... Thanks much!
Old July 16, 2017, 21:04   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I went with the Mlock. Why you ask? Well, just cause I thought it looked better than a bunch of Key-holes.

My reason for this hand guard is because I wanted a Free-Float type HG and don't like picatinny rails all over the place. It's an AERO and I put a short rail out front for a sling with a bit of rail left over to attach a Bipod if desired.

I really like Magpuls MOE for most purposes, but they are not free-float. They do have M slots to attach mounting rails however.
Old July 17, 2017, 01:51   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Whichever is cheaper on a particular day and otherwise suits your needs. I very seldom add more than one short pic rail section if that.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 03:50   #8
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
keymod is Superior, if you wish to mount things like shelving, or bike racks, possibly some luggage totes.

Last edited by LYCAN; July 17, 2017 at 04:27.
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 07:33   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYCAN View Post
keymod is Superior, if you wish to mount things like shelving, or bike racks, possibly some luggage totes.

Now you tell us! I could'a hung that Rear view mirror I always wanted so's I can watch my 6:00.
Old July 17, 2017, 08:22   #10
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
For a bit different look if you don't want to install a kitchen sink to the end of your rifle

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-Handgu....c100408.m2460

I put one of these on a rifle recently and am well pleased with it. Great knurled grip so you can get good grip on it. Lightweight, free float, pretty good clearance between the tube and barrel so it doesn't over heat easily and very cost effective. You can't mount stuff to it but I just mounted a flashlight to the rail on the upper with an offset mount and what else do you really need? It also looks great if you want the front sight block and then you got a sling mount and bayonet mount.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 08:36   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Bottom section is to clip on bipod as this rifle needs one on occasion. Have not been able to come up with a single ornament to hang off the other two pieces of pic rail, probably remove at some point. The red dot got nailed to pic rail with 45 adapter.

The forearm on this rifle was free in a junk box trade. Only thing could figure out to do with all the pic rail except one light was install covers so it doesn't dig into my sensitive skin.

Flaming Pig may get a light someday but otherwise it has optic, sights, trigger and bullets fly from muzzle, maybe add a juicer so tree bark and berries are tastier and easier to eat in survival situation?

Plastic for this was free but M Lock, Key Lock or Ziploc, can't think of a thing to add once the binary trigger begins spewing.

Another rifle that needed way to mount bipod on occasion. Again, don't think M Lock or Key Lock matters.

So now will stop the torture with this set of twins, only difference between the two are forearms both acquired based on cost, no other reasoning. The Key Lock still has no device added but does have backup sights that cowitness with red dot. I think stuff like that is more important to worry about.

Sometimes I think we split hairs to point of not mattering a bit on which widget is "better". Have two M Lock forearms recently found going on current builds. Both are long barrel varmint rifles so will be used for a bipod mounting point but don't need anything else except maybe a smart phone holder so easy to enter data for firing solution but the rifle with a ballistics PDA mounted looks goofy. Every dime you save is another toward next build so don't get wrapped up in features of parts that really don't matter.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old July 17, 2017, 09:20   #12
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Talking

it doesn't matter, its all ones personal preference.

in jest, I noted how the keymod looks like it originated from a hardware store. Lol

to each - his own.
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 09:21   #13
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
I have both and have used both on duty. My experience is that you have to be a little more careful with your accessories and your mounting with KeyMod. My current work gun is KeyMod. All I mount on it is an optic (top rail), vertical foregrip (BCM KeyMod specific), light (Surefire in a VTAC mount, top rail), and sling swivel (BCM). I have shot KeyMod rifles through several high round count classes with no issues with heat transfer that kept me from holding it.

I managed to knock a light off pushing it through a barricade using a Haley KeyMod mount, so I went back to the VTAC. I have also had a prior KeyMod sling mount that would not stay locked in.
Old July 17, 2017, 11:41   #14
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
it doesn't matter, its all ones personal preference.

in jest, I noted how the keymod looks like it originated from a hardware store. Lol

to each - his own.
You'd be suprised as to what can be found in a hardware store... Got a CZ bolt action rimfire and want to drop the trigger down to just below 2# ? Ace spring #144 to replace the trigger spring. Not to mention all that stuff we use for making pillars, bedding actions, etc.

For a while Lowes sold drawer handles that were a perfect match for Porsche 356A door handles, at about 5% of what REAL Porsche door handles would cost - if you could find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
For a bit different look if you don't want to install a kitchen sink to the end of your rifle

http://m.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-Handgu....c100408.m2460
Ah... that is lookin' like more my style. The one thing I'd need/want would be a stud for a sling, and a stud for a bipod that uses a sling swivel stud to attach (Harris knock-off).

Appreciate y'alls help!
Old July 19, 2017, 09:41   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Almost every hardware store I use has a gun counter. Best ammo can prices locally are at the hardware shop for sure and Lowe's bins are still the best deal for suppressor wipes for the old cans that use rubber wipes. I can't believe their allowed to have plumbing parts, gardening center and chemical sales in the same store, add in some of the electric light timers and fasteners a home improvement store is an anarchists wet dream. Good thing was not a Lowe's or Home Depot within walking distance of the Unabombers cabin.