Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old July 15, 2017, 04:50   #1
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
So I got me a used fishing boat----

A 2004 Lowe aluminum FM Sea Nymph 165 S with a 2005 Evinrude 75 E TEC and an 8hp Honda trolling motor. It has a 84 inch beam and enough free board for where I go fishing as long as it isn't white capping. A little heavy in the ass with two motors but not too bad.
I had the compression checked on both motors before I bought it and they both checked out okydoky good to go. The Evinrude was 120, 117 & 120 and the Honda was 148 & 145, well within the 10% range of each other and well within spec. I also had an Evinrude/Honda dealer check both motors and got a clean bill of health on both and both serviced with lower lube and new coolant impellers installed as well.
I took it out last weekend to test it out and even caught an eater walleye. The Evinrude was a bit over proped getting to only 4,500 rpm WOT so I swapped out that prop with another that came with it that has a slower pitch and a smaller diameter. The one on the boat was a 17 -14 and the one I put on was a 15 - 13.5 which should get me to the magic 5,000 to 5,200 rpm at WOT. Even with the more aggressive prop the boat came up on plane easily though a bit slow at only 34 mph. Next trip out we will see how the prop change helps out.
So being used it has a few issues like needing new deck wood and carpet, knew that going in. The main floor is delaminating and the carpet has seen better days. Until I get the floor up and out I don't know how the flotation foam is so we will soon see, easy enough to remove and replace once the deck ply is removed. I ordered new marine grade Okoume 5/8ths plywood, they think a whole bunch of this stuff specially the 5' X 10' sheet. So I got a 5' X 10' and a 4' X 8' trying to keep the main decks one piece instead of patch together. The master plan is to fiberglass the tops, edges and about an inch around the edges on the bottom leaving the bottom unglassed. The reason to leave the bottom unglassed is to allow the wood to breath which will help it last longer. I will recarpet the whole boat in a medium gray indoor/outdoor carpet. I tested it the other day to see how hot it would get in direct sun light and it was good to go on bare feet. It was a hot day out at 95 Degrees F not unlike the maiden voyage. Any deck objects like hatch lifts that are black will get a coat of white paint, those get really hot in direct sun light being black, hot enough to burn your tutus.
My last boat was an 18 foot Tahiti flat bottom ski boat with a 455 olds in it with a Berkeley jet, hardly a fishing boat. Now that I'm am officially and old bugger water skiing is no longer on my to do list so a solid fishing boat is what I needed this time around. It has Springfield pedestal seats with sockets on the bow and stern which I don't think I will reinstall but just keep the four main deck mounts. The reason is the ass is already heavy and the bow seat with a good wake might put you on your ass or in the water if it sneaks up on you.
I will try to post up a few pictures I got from the dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2831.jpg (59.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2832.jpg (58.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2833.jpg (66.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3856.JPG (72.6 KB, 43 views)

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.

Last edited by Sagerider; July 15, 2017 at 05:05.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 08:15   #2
Wolf1952
Registered

FALaholic #: 61846
Boats a hole in the water you keep throwing money into.
Old July 15, 2017, 08:17   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Congrats. Bust out another thousand.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 14:43   #4
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Perfect--Run it.

The Boat is great, No need for new carpet, unless ya want to impress women, enjoy it, fish with it, time is short for us old guys.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 17:28   #5
HighRatMaster
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 19296
Very nice. Time in the boat always seems well spent, especially when it leads to fish for supper.

Support a Soldier http://www.supportasoldier.com/

It doesn't matter what you miss them with.
HighRatMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 19:40   #6
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
I love those evinrude Etecs I have the 115 saltwater edition on my ocean boat . Make sure you only run the high dollar oil the XD100 one gallon lasts me about a whole fishing season.
Old July 15, 2017, 22:11   #7
ray55classic
Registered

FALaholic #: 72759
Location: east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams
Congratulations Nice boat with a nice E-tec .
Good move on the marine grade plywood ,
many people make the mistake of using treated wood on aluminum boats , If you like your aluminum to last that's a big mistake.
Check out Tinboats.net , their forums are a good place for a lot of great ideas & info on modifying and customizing aluminum boats .
You can spend hours there looking at some real "works of art" and a few "pieces of work", the difference is readily apparent.
Good luck fishing.
here's a link to one of the forums on Tinboats

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewf...1fd75ca257967e

Last edited by ray55classic; July 16, 2017 at 14:12.
ray55classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 23:38   #8
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
mmmm walleye.

Bon Voyage....
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 00:58   #9
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I started taking the deck wood out and old carpet today. The old carpet glue was not holding much of anything any more, dried out and turned to dust. The plywood is dried out, delaminating and crumbling. Pretty easy so far and I see no issues replacing the old wood. It should be straight forward tracing out from the old to the new lumber. Not sure when the new wood will arrive yet but the fiberglass materials should be here this coming Thursday.
I put together two saw horses today to lay planks on for a work surface, I made them a bit tall so no bending over required. I will be working in the car bay of my shop with a large fan for ventilation so plenty of room and fresh air. It has been a very long time since I worked with fiberglass but after studying up I feel good to go. All I need is a few gallons of acetone, a paper jump suit or two, several cheap paint brushes and I should be set, two rollers for laying down the glass and working the air out will arrive with the other stuff Thursday. I already have nitril rubber gloves for working on the motorcycles and a respirator but I need to make sure the filters are good for fiberglass which they should be. A new set of sharp shears would not hurt either.
Monday night I should have everything taken apart but it has been smoking hot out lately so time in the morning and late afternoon is all I am willing to spend outside. With the altitude here at 5,300 feet there is less atmosphere to block the sun shine so sunburn is a sure thing if your out too long in it unprotected.
I will snap some pictures tomorrow.

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Old July 16, 2017, 07:14   #10
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1952 View Post
Boats a hole in the water you keep throwing money into.
Mine is a hole in the garage that my wife keeps throwing Christmas decorations into.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 21:26   #11
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Here are two pictures of the deconstruction.
Some poor workmanship stapling a 1/2 inch section because the wood was cut incorrectly, too short.
I got the fore deck taken off just put back for cover. Looks like the wood is exterior grade 1/2" not marine grade. Replacement will be 5/8" marine grade Okoume.
I found out why the live well was loosing water, the seal was not put down correctly again poor workmanship.
All in all the boat hull looks good and designed well, nothing scary so far.
The carpet glue used works great for carpet to aluminum but not so great for carpet to wood.
I realize this is not a high end boat but doing things right should be the mission.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2552.JPG (147.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2551.JPG (166.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; July 16, 2017 at 21:41.
Old July 18, 2017, 02:10   #12
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

That saying about a boat being a hole in the water into which you throw money?
Well I have news for you, it is a freakin whirlpool. Geezzz!
So I got the main deck out today, which was a pain but it is outa there. Everything looks OK under there so Yippie!
Found out lacquer thinner takes off the old carpet glue from the aluminum parts, a very good thing. I don't think a stitch of the old carpeting was held by glue anymore except on the aluminum parts like hatch covers and stuff. The old deck was delaminated pretty badly but that is the whole reason for the refit after all.
Lots of clean up on the hatch covers and helm base to remove the old glue. Vacuum out the bilge as best as I can then wash it down.
More pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by Sagerider; July 18, 2017 at 02:22.
Old July 18, 2017, 05:53   #13
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Looks like everything you need in a boat, nothing you dont.

You have the rod holders to go with those sockets? I have the same kind, I can look for brand and model if you need replecements.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2017, 13:09   #14
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagerider View Post
Here are two pictures of the deconstruction.
Some poor workmanship stapling a 1/2 inch section because the wood was cut incorrectly, too short.
I got the fore deck taken off just put back for cover. Looks like the wood is exterior grade 1/2" not marine grade. Replacement will be 5/8" marine grade Okoume.
I found out why the live well was loosing water, the seal was not put down correctly again poor workmanship.

The old decking come from the factory or was it done by a previous owner?

Nice project by the way and it sounds like you know how. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old July 19, 2017, 15:46   #15
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

It looks as though the decking is original from the factory, the boat is 12 / 13 years old. What I have noticed throughout the disassembly is short cuts taken and poor workmanship where it compromises the integrity of the unit as a whole. I suppose this is typical of production manufactured products to cut costs. A little bit more time here and there and more attention to details would make a huge difference in build quality. The deck is sort of slapped together with wood decking material very questionable. They do have some fairly competent aluminum welders judging by the welded items I have seen, I was a welder in my former life before I became an examiner.

Here is what I have determined will be the final outcome of this project and why.

Main deck well will be 15 mm marine ply with fiberglass over glass mat top surface only going to edges and under about 2 inches. The reason to not cover the bottom is to allow the wood to breath. The wood is well above exposure to water other than air moisture from the bilge. In two of the pictures you will see a 12 volt 130 cfm bilge air blower that will be mounted at the bow. This blower will move air from the bow area down into the bilge area aiding in removing any moisture.
The main deck will be gel coated over the previously laid fiber glass with two coats. The first will have crushed walnut shells for texturing and the second will be tinted grey and to smooth out the crushed walnut shell texturing to be easier on the tutus when walking with bare feet. Under and around the edges I will calk with 3M 4200 UV calk to seal. This calk is removable just in case events in the future require the deck to come up. There is a 27 gallon fuel tank under it so one just never knows. At the stern I will leave a gap for water to escape into the bilge area where it can be removed by the bilge pump or by vacuuming when the boat is removed from the water. We have an invasive species issue here in Montana now thanks to assholes bringing in mussels from the Great Lakes so all boats must be clean and dry at all times after leaving the water to kill any larva so we don't spread this menace everywhere.

The above main deck sections will again be 15 mm marine grade ply with fiberglass over mat. Instead of a gel coat top layer these areas will be carpeted with a matching shade of grey, as best I can, to the main deck gel coat with marine grade carpet. The storage and live well hatches which are aluminum will also be covered in carpet.

The reason for the main deck well to be gel coated and not carpeted is because it will see most of the foot traffic and abuse. I can always lay a loose cover of carpet if needed or desired which can easily be replaced. I do not intend to ever remove this main deck again in what remains of my lifetime. A long way to go yet but it will be worth all the trouble and cost when it is completed. Keep in mind like most of us here I really enjoy working with my hands and why I enjoy building FALs so much. As I mentioned before in one of my former lives I was a welder and a fairly competent one. I love to create and build specially with metal, it is a guy thing.

Lots of thought has gone into this final plan together with researching options. In the pictures provided I hope to document what I do so if in the event other Filers need information it will be here for you to view and read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2558.JPG (111.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2557.JPG (91.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2556.JPG (143.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2555.JPG (132.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2554.JPG (149.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Sagerider; July 19, 2017 at 16:08.
Old July 19, 2017, 16:14   #16
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Looking like a fun project!

I miss having a boat....I don't miss the expense however.
Old July 19, 2017, 17:12   #17
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Don't let it get you down. That's actually not a bad looking boat at all,even if you had to put some spiff into it. While you have the deck boards out,inspect the foam to make sure its not waterlogged. It happens when people leave the boat out in the weather with the plugs in. Fills with water and saturates the foam. Makes the boat heavy in the water,too. Had an old 13.5' Whaler clone that was waterlogged in the foam. Couldn't get it to plane with a 35 horse motor. No hope for those.Too sealed up to repair.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2017, 22:18   #18
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

I have defiantly thought of waterlogged foam. I am thinking of probing with a small diameter metal tube all the way to the bottom. Tap the probe in and then examine the core. Refill the hole with new foam sent down the tube as I back it out if all is well. If not I mine the old stuff out and refoam.

Old July 19, 2017, 22:37   #19
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
The thing about wet foam, is it ALL must come out.

There really is No way to dry it out and getting it out is a Bitch, ask me how I know?, 6 Inboard/outboards sitting around my place, Too many Boats.

I know what you mean on the welding and Metal work, From Gold N Silver to welding up an USS Ice Breaker hull with 17" of Alu-Minium all cracked out, I like it all, Have a Big English wheel-42" throat, yeah, I like to shape sheet metal too.

Enjoy your project Sagerider, hope catch lots of fish too.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10   #20
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
I've been in the marine trades since I was a little kid. I would strongly recommend not leaving the undersides of the decks, upper and lower unfinished or unsealed. The plywood will absorb moisture. Paint it with a good epoxy primer, Interlux Interprotect 2000 is a great product, and a coat of marine polyurethane on top of that. This method works for the top of the deck, too if you don't want to mess with gelcoat. Add antiskid additive to the paint. I just replaced the cockpit floor on a boat that only lasted ten years 'cause the owner thought what you think about the underside of the plywood.
As far as waterlogged foam, older boats used open cell foam which does get waterlogged. Newer boats use closed cell foam which does not. Easy enough to test to see what you have.
Yes they are holes in the water but when you're out on it there ain't nothing better...
Best of luck with your new vessel!
Larry

"Man, I know. Ever'body funny, you funny, too." George Thorogood
alphadog58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:07   #21
judgedredd
Registered

FALaholic #: 79768
she looks great congrats.
judgedredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:16   #22
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog58 View Post
I've been in the marine trades since I was a little kid. I would strongly recommend not leaving the undersides of the decks, upper and lower unfinished or unsealed. The plywood will absorb moisture. Paint it with a good epoxy primer, Interlux Interprotect 2000 is a great product, and a coat of marine polyurethane on top of that. This method works for the top of the deck, too if you don't want to mess with gelcoat. Add antiskid additive to the paint. I just replaced the cockpit floor on a boat that only lasted ten years 'cause the owner thought what you think about the underside of the plywood.
As far as waterlogged foam, older boats used open cell foam which does get waterlogged. Newer boats use closed cell foam which does not. Easy enough to test to see what you have.
Yes they are holes in the water but when you're out on it there ain't nothing better...
Best of luck with your new vessel!
Larry
So you are verifying my fear of leaving the underside untreated. Intuition tells me you are correct. I do not want to go through all of this again years down the road. I will check to see where I can obtain the products you are recommending.
I can use all the help and sound advice I can get.
Thanks

Old Today, 08:13   #23
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
PM replied to. The foam in your boat looks like closed cell foam. Being that the boat is only 12-13 years old it probably is closed cell.
JMHO, your kicker is way more motor than you need. I'd sell it and replace it with a 4HP something.
Larry

"Man, I know. Ever'body funny, you funny, too." George Thorogood

Last edited by alphadog58; Today at 09:55.
alphadog58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:34   #24
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Yep closed cell foam from the manufacturer, Lowe.
I agree the 8 hp Honda is over kill and heavy too. The boat is stern heavy because of it. I have been thinking of a smaller kicker as a matter of fact.
As per our PMs I have ordered the Interlux 2000 and bilge paint to top it off for the underside of the deck panels all round.
I ordered some 8 pound expanding foam today to help even out the substraight under the main deck. The plan here is to identify the low spots and either fill then sand and paint or prepare the main deck with plastic sheet, tight, then pour stringers of foam then drop the main deck and allow the foam to do its thing to spread out and flatten the substraight or underlayment. Due to construction technique this substructure is not flat but has high and low places. The idea using the 8# foam is to support the main deck from underneath with a flat surface.
I am thinking if I lay the foam down in stringers not just dump it it will spread out and do what I want it to do. I may have to weight the completed deck to keep from the foam pushing it up but if it does the plastic will prevent it from sticking to the underside of the deck. It can then be removed and foam sanded down as required. Granted I will have about 20 to thirty seconds to lay the deck down after mixing the foam so a little help might be required.