The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old July 14, 2017, 16:36   #1
badzero
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Whole house water filtation

Anyone have any experience with them or knowledge of which ones are actually effective? When I say whole house I mean just that, it needs the flow for showers as well as drinking.
Thanks

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 17:29   #2
Timaquan
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75998
to consider

reject water from the filter. French drain or place to direct that water..could be 30% of total flow. cost of filters/media. check water chemistry (well/city water?) and filter type to address your concerns.
carbon filter will remove chlorine, so may want to turn on bypass and flush your lines with chlorinated water to keep pipes "clean"
Timaquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 18:34   #3
badzero
Silver Contributor

I'm currently stuck on city water which is drawn from a river that has a good 50 miles of civilization runoff as well as the added chemicals in it.

Old July 14, 2017, 22:57   #4
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
I have a helenbrand iron storm with osmosis . Before I got it my well water had enough iron and magnesium to stain the toilets and tubs . Drinking it was ok but it had the mineral taste . I put this in instead of a softener because it takes no media . I have a single canister in the basement and my water is crystal clear it actually comes out bubbly and oxengenated then turns clears after 30 seconds . After a month my pipes and toilets were clean the oxygen bubbles removed all the scale . It cycles and dumps once a week about 80 gallons . I have nothing bad to say about this system at all . I would recomened having your water tested then decide which system works for your water issues . I shipped mine to me because locally I found the cost for the helenbrand iron storm was anywhere from 2100-3000 I got mine for 1800.00
Old July 15, 2017, 00:19   #5
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
I would run the bulk through a slow sand filter - then after that, further filter* anything for consumption (drinking/cooking)

bathing/washing clothes should be more then ok with only the initial S.S.F

*Berkey candles in a two bucket system (diy)

*Full on Berkey setup (few hundred $$, +/- ,depending on size/volume, amount of use)
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 00:47   #6
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
I know it seems overkill but it's how I roll.

Whole block water filter system

http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/W...rm=&pnLink=yes

WTS: MINT FN FAL 50.63
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411469
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 06:34   #7
badzero
Silver Contributor

Thanks guys, I like the last idea but my wife and neighbors would shit if dropped that in the yard, lol.

Old July 15, 2017, 18:14   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
On city water which is actually pretty clean but to protect equipment as much as us installed a whole house system. I am a big 3M kind of guy, my primary battle helmets are made by them as well as the 3M/Peltor hear through headsets. Then 3M products roll down to most basic items such as tape and glue. Installed the 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System. Model AP903 which is under $300, can easily install yourself and uses a $60 water filter thats good for 100,000 gallons. Only goes down to about seven microns but does a good job with removing chlorine smell and taste, sediments from municipal system as they have lots of old pipe and tanks between purification center and the Ponderosa. Keeps our sinks and appliances from having dirty water issues, shower smells clean and we drink water straight from the tap. If want to spend more money and go down to smaller micron filters can reccomend some have installed for others but they stop up more due to sediment filling the tighter filters sooner. Don't like salt or sand sytems myself though they work. Screwing on a $50 filter every few months works fine for us rednecks and I like cheap plus simple.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 20:24   #9
badzero
Silver Contributor

What got me going down this path was a tour of the local water treatment plant with my son. Everything was logical and made sense until we walked past the pallets of flouride with the big made in China on them. I'm not a fan of it anyway but really those f**kers can't even make dog food without a mortality rate.

Old July 15, 2017, 21:36   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
What are you looking for in filtration? I mean what is the purpose? I've worked in filtration for 30 years. The highest purity water is used for semi conductors. Water for injectbles like IV solutions is close. If you are getting from a well or a utility is something else. If you're a germaphobe is another. You getting rid of particulates or dissolved ions?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 21:57   #11
badzero
Silver Contributor

Not so much worried about myself, i think that ship sailed 30 years ago when I enlisted, but I do have 2 boys I'd like to protect as much as I can. I just want to filter as much of the bs out as possible. Read this and give me a solution.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...-tap-water-all

Thanks
John

Old July 15, 2017, 23:19   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Sand, carbon, and ion exchange beds. Not cheap. Anything you filter absolutely below .2 microns wont grow critters. All bacterial critters are larger.

You start dealing with dissolved chemicals and stuff you have to think about adsorption mechanisms.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 03:58   #13
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Have two systems including R.O for the best taste.

Our well water is 99.9% pure with a tiny bit of nitrites and ph is good, heck it comes from a main aquifer down 600ft, I wish everyone could have this good a water.

My normal filters down to 3-5 microns and can put tighter filters on it, the RO does the trick BadZero, was about 100$ and does 125 gal a day if needed.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 07:48   #14
badzero
Silver Contributor

I would sink a well if there weren't city codes against it. One of these days I'll get moved to the country and get it done. Funny thing is about 20 years ago the state ran "rural water" out to all the farms and acreages and told the owners how contaiminated their well water was,and that they could hook up now for free, but if they waited until there was an issue later it would cost them 5 or 6 thousand. Most did so city water reaches everyone in the state with the exception of a few old farmers who declined.

Old July 16, 2017, 07:56   #15
LYCAN
Registered

FALaholic #: 20840
Quote:

Most did so city water reaches everyone in the state with the exception of a few SMART farmers who declined.
fixed It for ya.
LYCAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 08:04   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I only use 2 micron water filters for drinking water in the field when have to use whatever water is available. 2 microns removes giardia, most microbes and bacteria. My Katadyn handheld pumps (Katadyn Pockets with 20 year warranty but slow) and big base camp unit that will easily keep a team of 10 in water for drinking, washing dishes, brushing teeth and people with minimum pumping time. Without looking up specs, the basecamp will filter around 20,000 gallons to 2 microns between filter swaps but is a pump, not whole house solution. Issue is having to clean them as the larger particles collect around outside of filter elements. They use silver impregnated ceramic filters with alost a lifetime of service. Supposed to filter radioactive ash from water but if water is hot, yours still ingesting rads and your filter is hot. Cleaner the water source, easier they work. Have pumped water from streams that had dead animals and animal feces and drink with zero issues. Know they make desalination solutions but not whole house stuff. Sitting in South America and pumping water from stream with dead cattle, actual crap floating buy and knowing everyone upstream till hit the glacier use for waste disposal is odd. In Huraz Peru everyday the municipal garbage trucks pick up all garbage, take to the river and dump. Becomes downstream issue, if flying into Lima and get good view of the rivers from three major watersheds that feed the city then flow into the ocean at certain times it will be a two mile long brown sludge of raw sewage flowing out into the Pacific Ocean.

Honestly unless have Hexavalent Chromium, significant lead, pesticide or other issues in well water for most municipal sources a whole house system for more than medium size particulates and chlorine is going to get costly and require much maintenance. Have a friend that is a total freak about health, food quality and water with the money to spend. Ripped out his entire HVAC system that had no real issues other than being a Trane high efficiency model and went crazy on his indoor air quality with equipment would find at the CDC. For his water we installed a cartridge filtration for sediment (3M again but much bigger model than mine) then water passes through a flouride/chlorine/arsenic/lead specialized cartridge system followed by an ultraviolet water sanitizer. At wholesale as a vendor paid $15,000 for the U.V. sanitizer and I am not a fan of ultraviolet lights in HVAC and have no opinion on the home water system except it was what client/friend requested. Power goes down and the U.V. is useless. Owed him big, did entire job for cost and he was over $25,000 into his water system. We popped $50k water and air on him. I finally had to source a local plumbing service to service it as something would clog or quit whenever I left town or day after had surgery. Same with his air, alarm would sound on a filter and he has no interest in swapping himself.

Here is my "opinion" if your going to spend big momey would worry about indoor air quality long before obsessed about water. Have to breathe every minute of every day. I put more time and money into air quality than anything. House is super tight, super filtered and highly positive pressure when flip the emergency switch 24 hours per day long as generators and batteries stay up which would be months more than likely if not longer. The pile of replacement activated charcoal filters for a calender year that scrub the air from inlet that keeps house at positive pressure was price of a good used truck. But train wreck of chlorine gas, ethelyne oxide, dirty bomb set of in Atlanta and winds bring fallout toward us we can stay inside house and filter majority of crap without having to sit in gas masks and swapping filters till the box runs out. Wife is in house more than not. Always breathing but exposure to water is very limited in comparison. We do have a gravity filter system for our drinking water from tap that filters drinking water to two microns but wash water, shower and such the seven micron cartridge filter is plenty for me even though know EPA has fined our municipal system multiple times. We fill the drinking/cooking water pitchers once or twice a day and call it good. They were under $100 each.

If really concerned about your family consider what your exposed to most and how body is affected. Think breathing might be something to push up in order of importance. Even with a top notch air filtration system and some of the best indoor air quality of any samples have sent for testing, it's amazing when I pull my BiPaP ASV machine down for maintenance. It filters all the air I breath when sleeping and with a Lennox Carbon Clean 16 (Merve 16 rating) running 24/7/365 the Auto Server Ventilator filter will still require weekly washing of pre filter and monthly replacement of main filter. The postive pressure air induction system sits idle except for testing or when a clean air warning goes off the charts during pollen season or someone nearby is burning something that we notice. A few years ago north Georgia forest fires were having an impact on our air so turned the activvated carbon positive pressure system on. But when leave the house, unless carry pure water with you (most bottled water sucks) like the air we have to breath we just have to cope with it. Know people that wear dust masks anytime in public but that's odd. I wear a respirator when shooting indoors at work, welding, sanding, painting, etc. Plus have whole shop air scrubbers. So while worry about water consider your air in the equation, indoor air quality is a bigger issue IMHO.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote