The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old July 09, 2017, 01:36   #1
Bertellione
Registered

FALaholic #: 66658
Cetme L

I was reading in Recoil magazine about building the Cetme L. Has anyone here done one? Also in the article it seems like the only US made parts they used are the barrel, reciever flat, and possibly the magazine it looks like a M16 mag. Is that enough parts to stay out of trouble? Also how reliable was the rifle known to be? I know I can build another high end AR for what it would cost to build but it does have a cool factor that not everyone has one.
Old July 09, 2017, 02:48   #2
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Ian and Karl over at InRange TV did a whole vid series on building CETME L rifles and would likely answer many if your questions regarding these.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 09, 2017, 08:55   #3
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
The CETME L can use AR magazines; the Spanish soldiers actually would grab discarded (by US soldiers) magazines in the field after a multination training event and use them instead of the original magazines.

Apex and Sarco used to a have kits and barrels for it, but that is no longer the case. mgunworks makes flats for it and a few other 922r parts including barrel. For a parts kit, look on gunbroker and forums. Supposedly the Sarco+Apex order was every single kit Spain had for sale when they decided to close down CETME and just buy H&K rifles.
Old July 11, 2017, 07:44   #4
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
I have heard from Spanish marines who used the CETME-L that the issued magazines were immense pieces of shit and they would get ahold of any non-issued magazine as quickly as they could. APEX has the CETME-L magazines for sale at $5 each, last I checked.
Old July 11, 2017, 12:50   #5
d_s
Registered

FALaholic #: 5575
I have one of the H&M Cetme L's and they seem to love green follower AR mags, at least mine does, it feeds flawlessly from them.
d_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 22:23   #6
Bertellione
Registered

The HMG website says they are out of kits but expecting more. I'm just not sure if it's worth building one because of lack of spare parts.
Old July 12, 2017, 10:34   #7
Riddbits
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 35332
I have built a few of them and really like shooting them. I have found on some of the kits that a new recoil spring is required. When building them, you need 7 US parts. The rifles use the flash hider, barrel, receiver, disconnector, and a US made M16 mag (follower, floor plate and body).

I have a number of the flats from H&M that I am setting up to sell as complete receivers like how PTR does for the HK type rifles. Fitting is a pain due to the variances in the kits, but you end up with a fun and unique rifle.
Old July 13, 2017, 03:19   #8
Bertellione
Registered

It scares me to buy their kit fromHMG due to the fact they state they are having troubles getting the kits they are expecting. How many countries used it as a main battle rifle? I'm sure that several used it because traveling I learned most countries use several rifles. Only the big countries use one rifle only. But I've never seen a cetme L in use by a smaller country. I can do the welds I have been a Gov code welder.

My biggest question now is it worth 950$ to build one? I think I want one for the cool factor that every one doesn't have one and I think that I missed the boat on parts kits.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:40   #9
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
950$ to build one? Can you Buy a complete one for less?

To have one for kicks would be OK, I would have to fall into one though, my taste would be to build one into a Para model, That Would be different.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017, 16:34   #10
APEXgunparts
Registered

FALaholic #: 61867
APEX has parts, bayonets, magazines & slings for the CETME Model L.
At this time we have all the kits sold. (NOT to HMG)

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/cetme/cetme-l.html

Richard

Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30pm MT www.apexgunparts.com

Last edited by APEXgunparts; July 13, 2017 at 16:40.
APEXgunparts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 00:40   #11
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
APEX has parts, bayonets, magazines & slings for the CETME Model L.
At this time we have all the kits sold. (NOT to HMG)

https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/cetme/cetme-l.html

Richard

Sold all the kits to XXXX before the election. LOL!
NICE JOB ON DODGING THAT BULLET.
Just what the country needs another 5.56 rifle for <$500 that doesn't function.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 10:42   #12
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
I bought one of HMG's builds from Copper Custom last year. Paid a pretty penny for it too. I've been tempted to try and find an LC kit to have HMG build but have found other guns that caught my attention first. If they ever get them back in stock and I had some funds laying around I would probably buy a kit and sit on it until I could afford to build it.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 12:16   #13
APEXgunparts
Registered

FALaholic #: 61867
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
Sold all the kits to XXXX before the election. LOL!
NICE JOB ON DODGING THAT BULLET.
Just what the country needs another 5.56 rifle for <$500 that doesn't function.
Actually, we sold all the kits this year.
Started handling and shipping them out in April.
I would guess that we will see the rifles available for sale late this fall.
AND the reports from the people who own and shoot these is that they are a rather pleasant rifle to fire.
Having spoken to three people who have factory select fire guns, they report that even in full-auto these are pleasant and quite controllable.

Richard
Mon-Fri 9am to 4:30pm MT www.apexgunparts.com
APEXgunparts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 14:30   #14
d_s
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEXgunparts View Post
Actually, we sold all the kits this year.
Started handling and shipping them out in April.
I would guess that we will see the rifles available for sale late this fall.
AND the reports from the people who own and shoot these is that they are a rather pleasant rifle to fire.
Having spoken to three people who have factory select fire guns, they report that even in full-auto these are pleasant and quite controllable.

Richard
I can attest to that. Mine is a sweet shooter, VERY light recoil and a nice trigger. They are definitely unique guns, the controls, sights, etc. are rather odd and I consider it to be a one off for a collector. It also did quite well in the mud test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlYUcfqG08
Old July 14, 2017, 14:33   #15
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

I guess when Spanish Marines are quoted as sayin "al desastroso CETME L", the disastrous CETME L, and the the rifle was replaced in 1999 after < 12 years of service, they should make fine rifles in the hands of home builders, since the factory couldn't even fix the problems.

I keep hearing people push these rifles and have no clue why.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:39   #16
d_s
Registered

Quote:
I keep hearing people push these rifles and have no clue why.
I don't think anyone is pushing the Cetme L, im certainly not, and its not fit to be a country's service rifle or an individual shooters front line of defense. But as a cool one off, for people who enjoy something other than AR15 all day, all night, its a cool piece of go plink with.
Old July 14, 2017, 18:15   #17
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

There is a guy who used the CETME L commenting on http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=167613
Old July 14, 2017, 19:28   #18
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
There is a guy who used the CETME L commenting on http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=167613
So what is his user name? There are 12 pages of comments.

It's MD shooters who are looking to build stuff that isn't on their ban list, whether it functions or not isn't an issue to those guys. They are just trying to get around a ban.

You can go in and buy a belt fed in MD, I have customers there, but not and "assault" rifle. LOL
Old July 15, 2017, 11:54   #19
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
So what is his user name? There are 12 pages of comments.

It's MD shooters who are looking to build stuff that isn't on their ban list, whether it functions or not isn't an issue to those guys. They are just trying to get around a ban.

You can go in and buy a belt fed in MD, I have customers there, but not and "assault" rifle. LOL
Oops. Wrong link. Sampedro in http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...-Cetme-model-L

One of his comments:
Quote:
If you can get hold of one (preferably those made before 1995), the first thing you'll need to do is change the hammer spring (sometimes the main one, too).
Oh, and ditch any 30-round mag made by Santa Barbara. Most of them are crap, and the source of 80% of the problems we had with the rifle. Any other NATO standard mag "should" fit.
I believe he is the same Sampedro as in http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...orthern-spain/

Last edited by raubvogel; July 15, 2017 at 12:07.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote