The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old January 05, 2018, 10:07   #1
Rhodie100
Registered

FALaholic #: 20051
PTR-91 any good?

I am thinking of buying a PTR-91 to add to my collection. I have tried a couple of Century CETME's but was disappointed with the quality.
Does anyone have any experience with the PTR-91. Are they worth the money?

Thanks
Rhodie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 10:19   #2
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
They are worth the money. Other than the roll marks on the receiver you can't tell them apart and they function exactly as the original. The build quality is beyond excellent.

Old January 05, 2018, 11:26   #3
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I have had one now for a few years. I had a few issues which they promptly fixed under warranty. Other than that it runs like a train and it's very accurate and reliable. It's good value for the money.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 12:24   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
My PTR GI has been flawless. Added a G3A3 stock, and I love it even more. I need to add an ejection port buffer, but that's that.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 13:46   #5
hansellhd
Registered

FALaholic #: 31152

GTG.
Old January 05, 2018, 14:00   #6
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
I have one, it is very accurate, runs smooth and fast with steel cased ammo or Turkish surplus, throws the cases about 15 ft forward and right. when I got it I got 30 aluminimum mags for $30. some were older than me but were brand new, a mix of HK and Rhinemetal.

I carried one in service, still have the manual of arms in my head so no retraining.
Old January 06, 2018, 11:29   #7
Rhodie100
Registered

Thanks for the feedback. Now to wait for a sale.....
Old January 06, 2018, 12:15   #8
N4KVE
Registered

FALaholic #: 19120
Depends when they were made. The earlier JLD marked ones were the best. Made with mostly surplus [HK, FMP, EBO, or Rheinmetall marked] parts, they used barrels made by Wilson. They fired any surplus ammo. Once PTR 91 Inc took over, they changed to TC barrels, & started making their own parts due to the supply of surplus parts drying up. Many of these guns will jam on surplus ammo, & only work with new US commercial ammo. My JLD marked ser # A30XX gun thrives on SA ammo which will choke a newer PTR 91 mfg gun. You're rolling the dice on a newer gun, but a JLD gun will always be a winner. GARY
N4KVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 12:18   #9
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
No, he is not rolling the dice on a new PTR. That is bullshit of the highest order. All of the current manufactured PTR rifles use the original HK spec chamber and flutes for the currently produced barrels.
Old January 06, 2018, 12:47   #10
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
My PTR eats any mil-surp ammo I've fed it.

Here's an option on a new rifle starting below $850 with some nice add-on's; paddle mag release, HK metal trigger housing.

https://www.impactguns.com/ptr-indus...rel-parke.aspx

I am NOT affiliated with Impact Guns.....
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 06, 2018, 16:48   #11
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
Depends when they were made. The earlier JLD marked ones were the best. Made with mostly surplus [HK, FMP, EBO, or Rheinmetall marked] parts, they used barrels made by Wilson. They fired any surplus ammo. Once PTR 91 Inc took over, they changed to TC barrels, & started making their own parts due to the supply of surplus parts drying up. Many of these guns will jam on surplus ammo, & only work with new US commercial ammo. My JLD marked ser # A30XX gun thrives on SA ammo which will choke a newer PTR 91 mfg gun. You're rolling the dice on a newer gun, but a JLD gun will always be a winner. GARY
Incorrect. There was a brief period where they changed the chamber flutes, but that was changed quickly after complaints. All PTR-91 guns with the designation "GI" have the same HK 91/G3 barrels and chamber flutes and will function with any surplus out there. And it's been that way for years now.
Old January 06, 2018, 20:27   #12
Rhodie100
Registered

Ive read that there was a brief period when they had issues with the trunnions cracking and extraction issues due to poor/no fluting in the chamber..... They seem to have corrected the problems.
Im interested in aGi which seems to be closest to the original G3. Cheapest Ive seen is Buds for $840 shipped.
Old January 09, 2018, 08:18   #13
Douglas Wozny
Registered

FALaholic #: 4255
This thread would be better suited for The HK Files?
Necat omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Last edited by Douglas Wozny; January 09, 2018 at 11:55. Reason: To make grammer more better!
Douglas Wozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 08:27   #14
otis61
Registered

FALaholic #: 26667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wozny View Post
Would not this thread be better suited for The HK Files?
Yes.
Old January 09, 2018, 19:36   #15
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wozny View Post
This thread would be better suited for The HK Files?
Done
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018, 19:34   #16
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
Definitely worth what you pay

As with any other firearm you buy, its worth is determined by what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is look at it, you may be offended by the trigger group cover and other furniture. I was offended and changed out the plastic furniture for wood, and the trigger group cover for modified GI metal.

If you intend to use in competition, you're probably going to be offended by the fact that the sight adjustment tool is $75, but magazines and some other parts are cheap. The rifle can shoot decently in a 200 yard Service Rifle match. Better than a FAL usually. Nowhere near as well as a M1 with a new barrel in a tight stock. Some people complain about the recoil, but it is no more than an FAL or M1A. The recoil had two pulses initially, which I found very disconcerting, but that went away with a Gilliebear heavy buffer. I really prefer to shoot the PTR with irons. You will not be able to get a red dot sight to cowitness in my experience. If you think you want a scope or red dot, buy a version with the welded-on rail, and use a appropriate pad for on top of the cheek rest.

If you are going to handload the brass, a PTR typically flings it into the next zip code. If you can find your brass, it will be somewhat ugly and beat up. There are ejection port buffers of two types, all plastic and metal/rubber. Cases from my PTR eject so violently they knock the all plastic buffer off the rifle. I tried the metal/rubber one scars up your receiver, and does not work well either. Neither will work if you have a sight rail welded to the top of the receiver.

I have not tried the rifle with soft point bullets or hunting. I mostly just hunt birds any more. If you look, you can find magazines cut down to 5-round capacity for not much money.

Most of the gunsmithing you are likely to need will be things you can handle without sending the rifle off.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 00:09   #17
1/325/ABN
Registered

FALaholic #: 12530
Have there been issues with PTR rifles....Yes

Our the new builds OK...Yes.

JLD Vs PTR quality is back and forth...Would I rather have a rifle built from a German kit' "Heck Yeah'.

The rifle is a battle rifle' it and the FAL have many items in common such as weight and reliability, they our not precession sniper rifles and the money required to modify them to get close is huge.

Remember that mixing and matching parts on a clone can be troublesome and can lead too headaches and profanity, choose wisely

FYI PTR and JLD hade issues with barrels having shallow flutes.
Old January 17, 2018, 10:33   #18
wanneroo
Registered

One cheap way to adjust the sights is with mini needle nose pliers.
Old January 17, 2018, 23:23   #19
Moody
Registered

FALaholic #: 75966
PTR91 GI is GTG

I have a PTR91 GI manufactured in 2014 and I have never had a problem with it functionally; it is 100% reliable just make sure you have good mags for it.
I will second what the earlier post said about getting the model with the rail mounted on it if you plan on putting an optic on it because it will make it easier. I haven't ever reloaded any brass from the PTR because that delayed roller blow back action is pretty rough on the brass and it usually takes longer to find the brass than it did to shoot it. It is very fun to shoot and is easy to disassemble and clean.
If you get one of the newest GI models they'll come with the metal lower and the paddle mag release as well. Which I think is an improvement over the older GI models with the AR style button mag release and polymer lower, but it's a preference thing.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2018, 23:23   #20
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Have both PTR91 and CETME. The CETME could be better but is okay and the PTR91 is definitely the better choice. Century CETME rifles could have been done better but they relied on questionable third party builders.

Old January 18, 2018, 12:32   #21
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
That PTR looks sharp with the wood stocks. Too bad it has the polymer trigger housing and pistol grip.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018, 07:55   #22
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
The older JLD rifles are generally considered good to go. The AW serial number PTR rifles are the only ones I've heard of that have issues do to the flutes in the chamber not being cut to spec. Mine is in the AW series and is very accurate, but yes, it does have issues cycling with certain (usually sealed) types of ammo.
Old January 29, 2018, 10:52   #23
Super B
Registered

FALaholic #: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One cheap way to adjust the sights is with mini needle nose pliers.
I use a small pair of surgical forceps. Same principle.

I have a JLD PTR that I bought when they were selling off their "no flash hider" rifles for $600. It is 100% reliable with aluminum mags, but doesn't like steel mags. Go figure.
Old January 29, 2018, 14:13   #24
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
I use a small pair of surgical forceps. Same principle.
https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...OL-27p1948.htm
This is the best deal on the actual tool for the job. Robert has a lot of really good stuff and is reasonably priced. Same tool will cost you twice as much from the HK guys.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:42   #25
cjjtulsa
Registered

FALaholic #: 49243
Hansellhd - is your green furniture "tropical green"? I've got some bits and pieces, but need a tropical buttstock. Thinking of picking one up. I would also like to see/have a set in "Alpine", but haven't run across one yet.
cjjtulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018, 09:48   #26
wanneroo
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjtulsa View Post
Hansellhd - is your green furniture "tropical green"? I've got some bits and pieces, but need a tropical buttstock. Thinking of picking one up. I would also like to see/have a set in "Alpine", but haven't run across one yet.
I have an alpine set. I think those were used in the 1990's so they are relatively new compared to the others. I believe I got mine at HK Parts, IRC.
Old January 31, 2018, 15:01   #27
cjjtulsa
Registered

FALaholic #: 49243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have an alpine set. I think those were used in the 1990's so they are relatively new compared to the others. I believe I got mine at HK Parts, IRC.
They have them, but only show the condition as "used in perfect working condition". I bought a "jungle" stock from them a while back described the same, and that they "clean up with a little TLC". The one I received was pretty rough, with initials scratched into it. When I asked them about the true condition of the Alpines, they said they could handpick me one for an extra $20. No thanks. I've had good luck otherwise with buying from them, but I won't buy another stock or stock set without seeing it first.
cjjtulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 20:53   #28
crabcatcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 80583
As previously stated over and over here in this thread, PTR 91 is an excellent weapon. Mine quickly became my favorite fire arm and I bought another one. I am currently in conversation with a friend to trade my Colt 6520 with restricted roll marks for a third. I have shot real HK G3s and though I would love to own one, I cannot tell the difference between the two at all. AAA+++ weapon.
crabcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2018, 11:44   #29
N4KVE
Registered

FALaholic #: 19120
When I purchased my JLD PTR91 years ago, there was a real HK91 next to it. Comparing both side by side, I felt the JLD gun was finished better. Especially in the mag well, shelf area. My JLD gun has NEVER missed a beat. GARY
N4KVE is offline   Reply With Quote