The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > CZ Firearms - Czech it out!

Notices

Old December 03, 2018, 00:17   #1
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Been on a bit of a CZ high lately.

Bought my first 75B last year and absolutely fell in love with it.

In September I then bought a 75D Compact as a carry pistol. The way it shoots makes look good.

Then I splurged on a matched pair of polished stainless 75B’s, added walnut grips and am getting by buddy Randy at North Texas Saddlery to make me a fancy rig to carry them around in. These’ll Be my “uptown guns” for when we need to OC into a fancy get together.

Then last week I bought my wife a Scorpion Evo 3 carbine to plink with. Mounted a red dot from Sig as well... Christmas a Gift.

Then on Friday, I bought a Shadow 2. All I can say is that this weekend the Shadow and I chewed through almost 700 rounds.
Holy Schmitt what an awesome pistol. I look like a real maestro with that pointed down range. It has what to me us easily the nicest trigger I’ve ever had on a handgun. Period.
This pistol and the Compact are the ones that succeeded in putting the Inglis into the safe.

I guess I’ve joined the Cz cult like some of y’all.

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; December 03, 2018 at 00:23.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 18:54   #2
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
CZs are easy to like. Had a CZ 75BD many years ago, and like you, I really appreciated what an excellent firearm it was. Foolishly sold it off during the dark times and have kicked myself in the ass ever since.

During the last year a CZ SP01 followed me home. And then a RAMI caught my eye. Couldn't resist the cute little bugger. Shoots smooth and accurate for such a little gun. The short grip works well but does feel a bit odd in my hand. For every day carry I picked up the P07. It's a light weight with the Tupperware frame and it uses the Omega trigger system. The jury is still out on that one. Rami won the carry contest.

Didn't make the move to the Shadow but did make the choice for a Wittness Stock II in 10mm. Much like the CZ action that it is based off of, only it's hammer down with the 10mm cartridge. Shoots way better than I can.

Best thing with the CZ pistol design is the exposed hammer, de-cocker, and double action. You ride the hammer down when re-holstering making sure there will be no ND in your future. Never worry about suffering Glock leg or blowing your dick off while holstering appendix carrying. Can't happen with the hammer un-cocked and thumb riding back of hammer. An errant shirt tail can touch off a striker fired weapon.

Should have bought the Scorpion pistol but ended up getting the Sig MPX instead. It's a fine unit and does everything well, but Sig tends to release a weapon and just leaves it in the dust and move to the next challenge. Sig does innovate, and at times does push the envelope. Scorpion has tons of aftermarket support already with more coming every day. Much more than the MPX. Either one can turn an ammo stash into a knee deep pile of empty cases in no time at all.
Uriah Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 20:12   #3
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Scored a CZ75SA recently which I really like a lot. Not quite as comfortable to my hand as my beloved BHPs, and noticeably heavierso it will never replace them for my carry choice, but I do really like the CZ a whole lot. Couple of thousand rounds through the one, not a single malf yet !

ďI respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.Ē

ďThe consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.Ē Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 21:03   #4
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I always said it would take a real special pistol to put my old reliable Inglis in the safe, but to me the Compact 75D is all I have in the Inglis plus itís new and can eat up HP rounds all day long. Try THAT with the Inglis. Itís military and prefers NATO ball ammo.

They say CZ took the best of the BHP and the 1911 and designed out the faults, making a better pistol through the exercise, and I sure can believe it.
These are the only pistols not designed by John Moses Browning that Iíve ever picked up and felt instantly comfortable with.

Iíve never owned a Witness or any Tanfoglio for that matter, I have the real thing so a clone just ainít in the cards.
Old December 04, 2018, 21:06   #5
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

If the full size 75 is too heavy, try the Compact. Itís a bit lighter and a bit smaller as well. Itíll hold 14+1 and shoots as well as the full frame. Plus, the sights are bloody fantastic.
Old December 04, 2018, 21:29   #6
gates
Registered

FALaholic #: 129
I love the P09 but the P10c is really a great pistol - not as refined as a G19 or G45 but way more ergonomic
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 22:00   #7
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
I love the P09 but the P10c is really a great pistol - not as refined as a G19 or G45 but way more ergonomic
Never been a fan of polymers or striker fired pistols, but if the P09 is as nice as the rest, I might take a look.

Striker fired and me just donít get along. I still have both my feet, and I want to keep it that way.
Old December 04, 2018, 23:23   #8
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'not as refined as a G19 or G45'...

I carry a Gen2 Glock 17, but I have grown very attached to the CZ P-10C and the CZ P-09 Duty. Certainly, the CZ P-10C is much more ergonomic than the G17/G19, and the trigger is better too.

And the CZ P-09 Duty certainly feels better in the hand than a Glock, and the trigger is pretty good too.

Just sayin'...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2018, 23:59   #9
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Ergonomics must be a CZ thing, because every single one I own feels absolutely natural to me. When I hold them out, they just point naturally, no twisting or squirming around to get a sight picture of the target. And they just naturally settle down to the target for me at least, for that perfect double tap.
I donít even have to think about it, it just Ďisí.

If the polymer hammer fired gun is as nice, Iíll probably own one by the weekend. If I can find one.
Old December 05, 2018, 01:52   #10
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Ergonomics must be a CZ thing, because every single one I own feels absolutely natural to me. When I hold them out, they just point naturally, no twisting or squirming around to get a sight picture of the target. And they just naturally settle down to the target for me at least, for that perfect double tap.
I donít even have to think about it, it just Ďisí.

If the polymer hammer fired gun is as nice, Iíll probably own one by the weekend. If I can find one.
Keep in mind that there is an added benefit to this in that the currently produced mags for the CZ P-09 Duty (19 rds) will also fit and work in the CZ P-10C (sticking out the bottom like a G17 mag in a G19, of course). The older P-09 mags do not have the additional cut for the P-10C.

From what I've read, the P-09 mags will also work in the P-07 (if you have one).

Forrest
Old December 05, 2018, 17:18   #11
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
when my friend introduced me to guns many many years ago, i stared off on a BHP and 1911.

Like them both, but the BHP felt like holding a 2x2. After shooting a revolver, i was thinking why not have something like a DA in autoloader. Then i read bout a CZ and years later when they were available i got one and was hooked. Felt like they were made for me and they were way more accurate than me too.

I love my CZs and they are one of the faves for me and my collection.

i got one of the CZ Customs, toys and its a hoot.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 19:22   #12
Uriah Lee
Registered

The P07 mags do not interchange with the standard 75 family. Tupperware framed mags are different in width. Why they did that instead of having full compatibility across the line escapes me.

Only real gripe I ever hear about CZs is about the slide being tucked inside the frame leaving only a short purchase for racking the slide. It is lots smaller than most pistols, but never seemed like much of an issue to me.

Have any of you ever had any experience with a CZ97? I lusted after a CZ in 45 auto and yet could never find one in stock anywhere. Nor have I ever even seen one to handle. Probably lead me to pick up a Tanfo in 10mm. One of these days if one shows up, maybe. If I don't die first.
Old December 05, 2018, 20:28   #13
Andraste
Registered

FALaholic #: 80827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
CZs are easy to like. Had a CZ 75BD many years ago, and like you, I really appreciated what an excellent firearm it was. Foolishly sold it off during the dark times and have kicked myself in the ass ever since.

During the last year a CZ SP01 followed me home. And then a RAMI caught my eye. Couldn't resist the cute little bugger. Shoots smooth and accurate for such a little gun. The short grip works well but does feel a bit odd in my hand. For every day carry I picked up the P07. It's a light weight with the Tupperware frame and it uses the Omega trigger system. The jury is still out on that one. Rami won the carry contest.

Didn't make the move to the Shadow but did make the choice for a Wittness Stock II in 10mm. Much like the CZ action that it is based off of, only it's hammer down with the 10mm cartridge. Shoots way better than I can.

Best thing with the CZ pistol design is the exposed hammer, de-cocker, and double action. You ride the hammer down when re-holstering making sure there will be no ND in your future. Never worry about suffering Glock leg or blowing your dick off while holstering appendix carrying. Can't happen with the hammer un-cocked and thumb riding back of hammer. An errant shirt tail can touch off a striker fired weapon.

Should have bought the Scorpion pistol but ended up getting the Sig MPX instead. It's a fine unit and does everything well, but Sig tends to release a weapon and just leaves it in the dust and move to the next challenge. Sig does innovate, and at times does push the envelope. Scorpion has tons of aftermarket support already with more coming every day. Much more than the MPX. Either one can turn an ammo stash into a knee deep pile of empty cases in no time at all.
I also have the Rami and a P07.
Very happy with both.
Andraste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 20:46   #14
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I actually like the inside slide on the CZ.
The P210,I think, has the same feature.

To me, it makes the pistol tighter and therefore more accurate.
Old December 05, 2018, 20:51   #15
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
The P07 mags do not interchange with the standard 75 family. Tupperware framed mags are different in width. Why they did that instead of having full compatibility across the line escapes me.

Only real gripe I ever hear about CZs is about the slide being tucked inside the frame leaving only a short purchase for racking the slide. It is lots smaller than most pistols, but never seemed like much of an issue to me.

Have any of you ever had any experience with a CZ97? I lusted after a CZ in 45 auto and yet could never find one in stock anywhere. Nor have I ever even seen one to handle. Probably lead me to pick up a Tanfo in 10mm. One of these days if one shows up, maybe. If I don't die first.
In the context of our discussion here, this might be a little misleading...

The CZ P-09 does have the slide within the frame that CZ is known for from the CZ-75 days.

The CZ-P10C does NOT have the slide within the frame.

Having said that, I don't have problems with purchase on the slide within the frame guns and I have big hands.

The CZ P-09 is a polymer-framed, hammer fired, DA/SA auto and is delivered with a decocker module in the frame. It also comes with an easily replaceable module that turns the gun into a standard safety gun so that it can be carried cocked-and-locked like a 1911.

The CZ P-10C is a polymer-framed, striker-fired gun with a really nice trigger (almost as good as a Walther PPQ is what they always say, which is true ).

Forrest
Old December 05, 2018, 22:09   #16
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
..........Have any of you ever had any experience with a CZ97? I lusted after a CZ in 45 auto and yet could never find one in stock anywhere. Nor have I ever even seen one to handle. Probably lead me to pick up a Tanfo in 10mm. One of these days if one shows up, maybe. If I don't die first.
i got 2 of them. 1 used, 1 NIB

The NIB is fine and a tack driver. The used one has feed issues but its due to the mag catch - too low or not cut right. push up on the mag base, and it purrs. Just been to lazy to fix it.

some people said that they had issues with the screw in barrel bushing, but i cant say that but i will state that i havent shot 1 gazillion rounds through mine either.

I have some of the EAA/Witness too and they are great toys. I have the 45ACP/22LR combo kit and the 10mm version too. I like them since you can get the various conversion uppers for them.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 09:34   #17
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Quite awhile back I handled an EAA at a gunshop (Ron Petersen's for you NM boys). The front sight was loose and wobbly. That soured me on the whole CZ, EAA gun thing so whenever I would hear of or see either of these I'd immediately go to POS mode. So I never gave them another thought.

A couple years ago Splat and I were talking about HPs and CZs. His opinion of the CZ caused me to relook and I was pleasantly surprised at what I was seeing. Since I had lumped EAA and CZ together in the gun crap pile I realized that I was guilty of cultural generalization based upon one incident. Since then I've acquired one, or two, or three or so CZ pistols. They dominate the gun safe these days. I also picked up a polymer EAA in 10mm which excited me as to its concealability and light weight and punch. I'm having feed issues with that POS. It seems that my initial assesmnt of EAA from years back was correct.
Old December 06, 2018, 09:38   #18
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
I've been eyeing the new Bren 2!

Link if embedded video does not work in your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI_nO4OmCBg
Old December 06, 2018, 10:52   #19
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have a 75B and 75D Compact. Both are spot on with accuracy and function. The 75B came with plastic grip panels and the Compact with rubber. I love the rubber and ordered a set for the full sized pistol. The compact is my carry pistol and has replaced everything else. Except for my pocket pistols used when belt carry is not an option. I installed a trigger kit from Cajun Gun Works on the 75B since this is going to be a target gun only. The kit included a straight trigger, springs, firing pin, and other fire control parts. Ended up with a 3 pound SAO trigger that was pulled back around 5mm (ľ inch) and corresponding reset point. I have about 2000 rounds through it and nary a hiccup.

The RAMI is just too small to comfortably fit in my hand and shoot, I would have one of those too.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 12:12   #20
Uriah Lee
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post

The RAMI is just too small to comfortably fit in my hand and shoot, I would have one of those too.
The Rami is definitely on the small side as far as grips go. Very accurate shooter just like the bigger CZs. But that pinky finger just dangles below the magazine with no contribution to shooting whatsoever. I would really like Pearce to come out with a mag extender that would provide a purchase for that useless digit. So far there is none to be found. Sure, I can use the extended capacity mags, but they look a bit odd not matching the frame.

In the mean time, the Rami is still my choice for CCW, beating out the Tupperware framed P-07 and that Omega trigger system. The Rami has the Cajun Gun Works trigger kit installed and is sweet. The Omega feels a bit mushy although not really too bad.
Old December 06, 2018, 12:59   #21
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I have a 75B and 75D Compact. Both are spot on with accuracy and function. The 75B came with plastic grip panels and the Compact with rubber. I love the rubber and ordered a set for the full sized pistol. The compact is my carry pistol and has replaced everything else. Except for my pocket pistols used when belt carry is not an option. I installed a trigger kit from Cajun Gun Works on the 75B since this is going to be a target gun only. The kit included a straight trigger, springs, firing pin, and other fire control parts. Ended up with a 3 pound SAO trigger that was pulled back around 5mm (ľ inch) and corresponding reset point. I have about 2000 rounds through it and nary a hiccup.

Just got off the phone with the fine folks at CGW and they're sending me a Pro Kit for my stainless 75B now as well. The trigger on the Shadow 2 has spoiled me rotten and now that I know what it can do, I'm going to get rid of the single action creep that's in the stock 75B.
(Funny how you never notice it until you shoot a tuned gun and see what's really possible.)
I'm not going to get rid of the pin block because this pistol will be a bit more than just a range gun and I don't need to BS if it ever needs using in a situation.

The Compact 75D has had the trigger cleaned up and it's just sweet as pie. That thing shoots like a dream.
Old December 08, 2018, 21:31   #22
ftierson
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post

Well...?

Forrest
Old December 10, 2018, 22:02   #23
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Well...?

Forrest
Played with one today. Hammer gun, full polymer, has a threaded barrel. Still haven’t shot one, but I will soon enough. P.07 I think is what it was. Nice feel and lightweight.

I’ll never own a striker fired pistol, unfortunately. I have this real desire to avoid the dreaded “Glock Foot”.