The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old November 26, 2018, 21:00   #1
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
1911 Commander and Ammo Preference

For many years I have been shooting standard Winchester White Box (WWB) and Remington UMC 45 ACP 230 GRN, FMJ in my full size SA GI model 1911 and the SA V10 Ultra Comp we have with no problems other than my bad eyes not finding the target.

I also a 1911 commander model that has been less than 100% reliable and was told I should be using ammo "with a little more chamber pressure" than the standard WWB loads I have used for years now.

I plan to give this a try, but with "a comfortable amount" of WWB stashed away for "just in case" I would hate to have to feed the commander model a special diet.

I could see a 1911 not liking certain non FMJ rounds, but my view is WWB has been spot on for me for several years with my other 1911's and is more or less what every 1911 should be able to eat on a regular basis.

I plan to give a "hotter" load a try, possibly something in the 880 FPS range of the WWB JHP ammo I use for CCW instead of the 830 FPS of WWB 230GRN FMJ.

Any experience on the topic anyone would like to share on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
flejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2018, 21:42   #2
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
It should function fine with 230 hardball....

Before beating it up with "Hotter" loads, I'd be trying a lighter recoil spring.
Old November 26, 2018, 22:59   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Put in a new recoil spring and adjust the extractor. Chasing ammo is bullshit.
Old November 26, 2018, 23:01   #4
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
If the pistol does not function with WWB, there is another issue.

What make is it ?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 08:05   #5
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
And what is the malfunction?
Old November 27, 2018, 09:04   #6
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/COMM...cID1/mID1/dID2

Factory standard recoil spring is 18 lbs.
I wouldn't deviate from that weight for standard ball.
Yes also to an extractor check.

One could argue the two things above are the first factors to look at with a problem 1911, closely followed by the magazine, ejector block and limp wristing probably.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 16:34   #7
flejl
Registered

The pistol is a Zenith M45. I previously sent it back to Zenith due to consistent FTF and FTE issues.

They polished the frame feed ramp, "throated" the barrel, sent new magazines, and adjusted the extractor. They also said they tested with both WWB and S&B 230 GRN FMJ before shipping back.

The pistol runs much better now, but on 2 of the 3 mags I ran through the pistol after receiving back the last round did not completely feed into the chamber and the slide go "into battery."

The SA 1911's I have run fine with WWB and I have not had this problem with either one of them, so it is not likely I am "limp wristing."

When I contacted Zenith after my test, they said they tested the pistol with all mags sent back with the pistol, however, the alternated between S&B and WWB, so it is possible the mag I used was tested with S&B, which they said is has high chamber pressure. When I looked on the S&B website, it looks like their 45ACP runs around 853 FPS at the muzzle and WWB runs at 830FPS.

I picked up some Federal American Eagle 230GRN FMJ ammo that is rated at 890FPS and was planning to give it a try, but going back to my first post, my other 1911's ran fine out of the box on WWB so the need for the faster ammo seemed "odd."
Old November 27, 2018, 17:33   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
Put in a new recoil spring and adjust the extractor. Chasing ammo is bullshit.
This ^^^ Ive had a 1968 mfg LW Commander for years and its digested plenty of WWB hardball...and every other hardball load for that matter.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2018, 19:00   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
What mags are you using? Some 1911's don't like the 8 rounders for some reason. Sometimes, the follower is the culprit.

I'd put a new Extractor in from one of the whoopee doo purveyors of 1911 parts, Ed Brown, C&S and the like.

But before you throw money at it, try a google on "1911 last round fail" or something like that. I'm thinking you will turn up some info that may be helpful.
Old November 28, 2018, 00:27   #10
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Get one each, Wilson Combat 47D & Chip McCormick power mag...whatever versions fit a Commander. Any problems I have w my series 80 1911 were instantly solved, FTF, Failure to lock slide back on last round. Was running original Colt mags..I now only use the OEM Colt mags at the range to confirm my suspicions they are the culprit...comparing so far, seem to fit. No more performance issues. Even McCormick Shooting star mags run great...compare the 47D and Power Mag and see which you prefer. My 1911 likes em both the same. Maybe in time one will manifest as better, I have a few of both...hopefully that helps.
Old November 28, 2018, 11:56   #11
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
The pistol is a Zenith M45. I previously sent it back to Zenith due to consistent FTF and FTE issues ..........
So, it is a 4 inch barreled Turkish import.

NOT a Commander.

Caveat emptor.

Old November 28, 2018, 12:43   #12
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Make sure to run it wet with lube (CLP).
New 1911's like the wet.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2018, 14:03   #13
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
I hear that the best way to address your problem is to acquire a set of Wolff springs and swap out at the shooting bench until Nirvana has been reached.

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911.../mID1/dID1#799

Last edited by Story; November 28, 2018 at 14:03. Reason: Also, never trust a man who owns a pig farm.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2018, 16:14   #14
flejl
Registered

Everyone,

Thank you for you input, it gives me some ideas.

tdb59,

Then I suspect you believe Imbel did not make FAL's?

I neve stated I had a Colt.
Old December 02, 2018, 19:20   #15
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
Everyone,

Thank you for you input, it gives me some ideas.

tdb59,

Then I suspect you believe Imbel did not make FAL's?

I neve stated I had a Colt.

Being as Commander is a registered trademark of Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC , one would presume that your reference is specific.

The acronym for Fusil Automatique Legere is common vernacular for the type of firearm, not a specific manufacturer.

Old December 02, 2018, 19:46   #16
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
Being as Commander is a registered trademark of Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC , one would presume that your reference is specific.

The acronym for Fusil Automatique Legere is common vernacular for the type of firearm, not a specific manufacturer.

So Words really do mean something...who'd a thunk it.
Old December 02, 2018, 21:56   #17
flejl
Registered

I think I will end the thread here, we all have our views and are entitled to them.

Thank You
Old December 08, 2018, 16:39   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Know you say your done with this thread but... You have an import 1911 pattern copy that has failure to digest ball ammo. Whether a lower velocity or hot load any 1911 should run 100% with any factory ball ammo. I own more compact 1911's than can count and all run all ammo 100% but a few did require tuning the spring. An 18 pound spring should be your factory specification rating. Based on materials, design and other factors springs are very important. My 1911 range pistols get a new recoil spring every 5,000 rounds and all springs replaced every 10,000 rounds. While I have been using Wilson chrome silicon Flatwire springs in most of my five inch 1911's use a variety of makers and designs.

My Quadralink barrel equipped pistols use a two spring design and eleminate the barrel bushing as are bell shaped toward muzzle and fit them to the frame. For my Commander size 1911's and have "Commander" size 1911's from a myriad of manufacturers. I purchased the complete range of Wolff Commander length springs. The kit ships with a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 pound spring in reduced power, an 18 pound factory spring plus a 20, 22, 24, 26 and 27 pound extra power spring. If have a load pistol combination (especially after other modifications are made) that do not like the 18 pound spring I experiment with springs closest to the factory going heavier and lighter till find a spring that runs reliable with all ammo then order a pair for that pistol putting one of the new in the master set so it keeps fresh low round count springs for testing.

Built my wife a Commander size 1911 that runs a light load and 185 grain cast bullets that does not hurt her fragile bones. If opening a jar of jelly breaks her wrist and walking sometimes breaks bones in her feet "we have a problem NASA". I specialize in adapting firearms to handicap folks as have met many who thought their shooting career was over. My adopted son who had a stroke at age 29 and lost most use of his right arm is now shooting rifles left handed using his dominant eye after a lot of modifications and tricks used to build him some specific guns. My wifes lightweight Commander is lobbing bullets at a velocity that if sun is behind use we can see the sun shining off back of the big cast bullets from about 25 feet on out to 100 yards. Almost like seeing tracers or phaser shots on sci-fi movies. Like to stand behind her and watch bullets start glinting and follow them to target.

Her Commander is currently using a 14 pound spring which let's me know can lighten loads and powder charge at least two more times and have her still shooting a 45 acp 1911 in very minor power factor catagory. She has always liked 1911's and since may have to pick one up off my dead body to protect herself she continues to train with low power rounds in light pistol so can quickly adapt to my 1911 and if breaks her hand the adrenalin of a firefight will keep her in the game as long as alive once her Walther PK380 runs dry even if hand her my primary and swap to my backup. I would follow the spring advice along with polishing the chamber as may be a bit sticky if not nicely polished.

As to eyes not finding the target try not using the rear sight. Just put front sight on target and bet most rounds will go center of mass without wasting time trying to find the rear sight.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2018, 21:25   #19
flejl
Registered

hueyville,

I appreciate your post, your posts and some others were the type of response I was hoping to find. I have been a long time member of the FAL files and have found most members to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful, that is why I have hung around for so long.

You are correct, I am not done, it just seemed like a better idea to end things when it seemed "brand snobbery" started to creep in...ie the implication that only Colt can make a commander model... in one of the replies, I found that once things like this start to happen the value of the conversation goes down hill quickly.

I did another test as requested by Zenith with the "hotter" ammo and found the same results. At that point, since the pistol is still under warranty, I sent to back to Zenith to have them solve the problem.

I am sorry to hear about the health issues of your wife and son, but it sure sounds like you are doing what you can to help them enjoy life, that is truly a great thing.

Again, I do appreciate all of the useful feedback and this provided the sanity check I needed. I will provide an update when I get the pistol back.

Thank You
Old December 09, 2018, 08:19   #20
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Don't think it is brand snobbery. Folks just wanted to know what you really had as certain makes may have certain problems.
Old December 09, 2018, 11:38   #21
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Don't think it is brand snobbery. Folks just wanted to know what you really had as certain makes may have certain problems.
This^

For instance, a Colt Commander generally comes with trouble free magazines whereas a Kimber "commander style" and a Springfield Champion "commander style" had mags that ended up in the junk box.

No snobbery here, only one of my 1911's is a genuine Colt, the rest are of the Whatnellisthathing verity. They all shoot about the same.
Old December 09, 2018, 12:33   #22
flejl
Registered

Mainer,

I agree the manufacturer is useful information and you rprevious post was helpful and the tone of your previous response, along with most others was trying to help and gather more information in order to help.

When I do d a "google search" on "1911 commander", allot of other manufacturers come up way before anything Colt is implied.

To me and what seems t be most of the rest of the world, a 1911 commander is a 1911 pistol with an slide of approximately 4.25 inches.

But the statements made by one responder:

"So, it is a 4 inch barreled Turkish import."
"NOT a commander."
"Being as Commander is a registered trademark of Colt's Manufacturing
Company, LLC , one would presume that your reference is specific."

as at best are not helpful and intended to achieve something else.

Again, thank you very much to every one that responded to my question.