The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old May 17, 2019, 15:32   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
1994-1997: The Days of Cheap AKs in Shotgun News

Cleaning out a number of old Shotgun News I have pilled up since the early 1990's and thought you all would enjoy a trip down memory lane. For the younger members here...yes there was a time you could buy a NIB AK for short money. I was just out of highschool and picked up my first MAK-90 for $239. Mags were $10 back then.....I didn't scan these images, so forgive the imperfections, this was done after a few beers. Enjoy:

[IMG]20190406-223003[/IMG]

[IMG]179-AK-from-classic[/IMG]

[IMG]199-AK-from-Classic[/IMG]

[IMG]MAK-in-differnt-calibers[/IMG]

[IMG]Valor-Package-for-MAK[/IMG]

[IMG]Uncle-Waldo[/IMG]

[IMG]20190406-223135[/IMG]

[IMG]20190331-231107[/IMG]

[IMG]Draganov
photo sharing
[/IMG]
Old May 17, 2019, 16:27   #2
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
My problem with the good old days was only enough money to buy one at a time, not ten. Of course thatís better than the young guys who missed it altogether. Iím still trying to find the time to get rid of all the stuff I bought back then. I want to be like a normal family with clothes in the closets and cars in the garage.
Old May 17, 2019, 23:15   #3
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
My problem with the good old days was only enough money to buy one at a time, not ten.
I'll bet that you can buy two if you wanted to at current prices. Despite the low prices then, they were actually more expensive when you take into account inflation. I was paying $0.79 a gallon for 93 octane regular then and less than $2.00 for a pack of Marlboro 100's.

This is why guns are for shooting and not collecting. The shit that fockers won't shoot because it will "ruin the value" will be a several generations gone before their fool's gold actually starts to make a ROI. You're better off investing cash in mutual funds if you want the value to grow.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 01:58   #4
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
I want to be like a normal family with clothes in the closets and cars in the garage.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old May 18, 2019, 04:27   #5
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Got my first mac 90, fine trigger and finish, for around 165.00 from J&G sales on sale, still got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,and many more...........

Which is a reminder,,,,,,,,,,
Time to sell more stuff.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 06:05   #6
Abominog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Very funny. But yes. I have way too much stuff. I’m down to about 30 FAL bayonets, 20 HG and same number of stocks. But I still have probably 12 FALs and L1A1 and this stuff eats up space. Luckily I sold the twin SG43 kits and mounts in the factory storage crate, that thing was huge. I probably shouldn’t have bought the twin MG42 mount, it weighs like 400 pounds and prevents an auto from getting into the garage.

Last edited by Abominog; May 18, 2019 at 06:10.
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 06:35   #7
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Very funny. But yes.
My attached garage is my combination gun shop / smoking lounge / man cave. If I had a dollar for every project sitting in it, well, I could afford to buy another project - LOL.

The only real ongoing feud between me and Blondzilla is if her Lincoln gets parked inside (it does just fit) or if it is crowding up my space and needs to sit outside
Old May 18, 2019, 07:20   #8
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Pre ban shotgun news ads would be even nicer to reminiscent over,,,
But at this point, I guess even the ban years could be seen as 'the good old days',,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 07:30   #9
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
I remember buying several things that I saw in those ads.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 11:27   #10
SpudBob
Registered

FALaholic #: 77677
I paid $149 for a MAK90, 1993 i think ,and $12 a piece for Factory66 Bake mags.
SpudBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 12:25   #11
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yeah,

I paid $329 each for a SAR 1 and SAR 2 in 2000. I bought a Saiga 12 and AES-10b for $450 each in 2006.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; May 18, 2019 at 16:01.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 15:01   #12
Delta-3
Registered

FALaholic #: 36449
Back around '96 or '97 I bought a Chinese SKS w/ red fiberglass jungle stock out of SN for $79.00 & they threw in a case of Chinese steel core ammo with it.
Old May 19, 2019, 16:21   #13
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
I was a 'dealer' back in those days. When the first two containers landed the man that owned them sold the first one to pay for both.

I bought three cases of 12 rifles for $69.00 each. Two of the cases were double under folders and the third was wood stocked under fold bayonet one.

I also got a case of 300 Poly magazines with the chrome followers thrown in for free.

I sold all three cases to other dealers for $129.00 each and sold the mags for $1 each. I more than doubled my money and was happy as I hated AK's back then having been shot by two of them.

Back then at the gun show you could get a Chinese AK and a case of 1000 rounds of ammo for $300 out the door.

Now between the damn UN forcing countries to destroy guns and ammo, our own treasonous politicians, GREEDY Distributors and Dealers, cost is thru the roof! Good luck to all buying now.
TnHawk-45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 12:51   #14
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I was buying two SKS's, one SKS-M and one AK per month for almost two years back in those glory days. During the Bush Ban, Sandy Hook and more have recovered all the cash spent, put a fair chunk of change in the build kitty and paid a lot of medical bills. Still have quite a few of each still in original cosmoline with their boxes/accessories stored in nice dry out of the way place. Was paying $79 for SKS's, $99 for SKS-M's and $129 for AK's and all came with a 600 round tin of steel core corrosive ammo at that price.

Then the local mall passed a rule that could not sell guns in their facility and the discount store stopped carrying guns. None of the local gun stores would sell combloc guns unless bought yourself and had them transferred through them. Had over 150 assorted rifles piled up and didn't think there was a need to continue. Wixh now had purchased double the preban AK's.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 13:29   #15
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Needing boxes to mail off rifles, downsizing, and find a stash of 10/12 boxes in an out building,,,,and upon picking them up, all were awful heavy,,,,,,,,,,ok, so much for downsizing the collection.

All were from this time period, forgot I had all that stuff.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 13:53   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
At the time other than a few to play with left the SKS's, SKS-M's and AK's in their coating of cosmoline, plastic bag and original box. Buying one a week for over 22 months and was no way to put in vaults. Did not count face to face buys made locally or occasional deal found elsewhere. At one time had a mix of over 150 comboc/Chinese rifles just piled up and did have the AK's and SKS-M's in 10 gauge job boxes bolted to basement floor. Still have enough that can't put combo rifles in any of the gun safes but do have all, including SKS's, in either job box or double wall steel lockers.

I seem to find a pistol every few months that forgot buying and never got logged into the inventory book. Same with the occasional rifle, same situation as yellowhand, be rearranging boxes to make room for more in area stash all my boxes to realize one or two weigh more than a box should to discover rifle(s) still in them that never got put away as was short of vault space when they were bought. Purchased a fire proof, RSC rated 12 rifle safe on Craigslist recently for cheap.

Got it home, started pulling rifles from corners of closets and other hiding places (mostly recent builds) to discover was able to get 14 rifles in it and still need another safe as have a build or two per month, sometimes per week coming off the bench. At some point am going to have to work this equation the other way but cheap as it is to build and buy makes no sense to sell now unless trip across a collector rifle someone wants badly but only clears one space in safe.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 02:41   #17
stewardlumy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82557

that was the old days guns and i ever missed that plenty AK's version in whole life because these guns are bombastic....
stewardlumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2019, 06:20   #18
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
Man, those were the days, the golden age of low prices and good stuff at gun shows!
Old May 21, 2019, 12:34   #19
JebB
Registered

FALaholic #: 78782
Bought a collapsible stock HK93 for $325 in 1977 and a 91 for $405 a few years later.
JebB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2019, 16:36   #20
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Iím the opposite, but high, sell low. Thatís my motto!

I did ok on stuff from the early 1990s except for the $700 SAC Latta FAL upper half. I kept it so I never lost money but that was quite a long road to even money. Hahaha
johnnycobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2019, 14:52   #21
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
I'll bet that you can buy two if you wanted to at current prices. Despite the low prices then, they were actually more expensive when you take into account inflation. I was paying $0.79 a gallon for 93 octane regular then and less than $2.00 for a pack of Marlboro 100's.

This is why guns are for shooting and not collecting. The shit that fockers won't shoot because it will "ruin the value" will be a several generations gone before their fool's gold actually starts to make a ROI. You're better off investing cash in mutual funds if you want the value to grow.

Yea, no.

I shoot plenty, but at 37 (I bought a couple things in that time frame, but not much) the lock, stock and barrel market has done better for.me than the stock market ever has.

I put $1,800 into retirement funds the year I turned 15.
Goal with stocks is doubling every 7 years.

with Sandy hook, Obama, the likely good of switching parties in 2024...
It's not very hard to beat that.
Old June 13, 2019, 20:17   #22
Abominog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Yea, no.

I shoot plenty, but at 37 (I bought a couple things in that time frame, but not much) the lock, stock and barrel market has done better for.me than the stock market ever has.

I put $1,800 into retirement funds the year I turned 15.
Goal with stocks is doubling every 7 years.

with Sandy hook, Obama, the likely good of switching parties in 2024...
It's not very hard to beat that.
What he said. Gun parts have a better return than Dow and S&P by far.

Iím just waiting for the next election...
Old June 15, 2019, 05:25   #23
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’m 37 and have had an interest in firearms my entire life but didn’t start really getting into the hobby until the late-90s when I worked for an LGS in HS.

I remember pouring over Gun Lists, in particular, the “advanced military rifle” section. In the late-90s mint SP1s were around $800, Belgian Type IiIs were $1800-2000, $3-3.5k would buy a killer G series and the 7.62x39 Valmets (my favorite), while rare to find, were $2-2.5k.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55   #24
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
I was just getting into my teens during that time period. I've made up for it with buying as much as I can while still putting some aside for rainy days and buying a house. Even holding on to vehicles longer to keep buying more guns just so I don't have an extra payment every month. Hoping I get a decent return on investment in the future decades to come.
JoeCorrado is online now   Reply With Quote