The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 09, 2019, 13:51   #1
jaxman
Registered

FALaholic #: 82389
Experience as a newbie gun seller on GunBroker

I started selling some guns from my collection as a newbie on GunBroker about a month and a half ago. I wanted to share what I have learned so far with others who may want to get started. Veteran gun sellers may want to add their own comments to my musings. I did research on past sales of similar firearms to get an idea of what the market would bear and one thing that stood out is that two seemingly similar guns could go for wildly different prices, or even one sell at a high price and another one priced lower not sell at all. I decided that setting a high initial bid and a reserve price were two factors that appeared to discourage bidding. Of course putting up a gun on a 1 cent no reserve auction runs the risk of not getting the price I want, but I'm liquidating not running a for-profit business.

After the sale is made the next thing was shipping. I found that as a non-FFL my shipping options are more restrictive than for an FFL. For example an FFL can send a handgun via USPS Priority Mail where as a non-licensee can only ship it by common carrier (UPS or FedEx), and common carriers require handguns to be shipped via over night air which costs more than $100. Shipped firearms must go to an FFL if sent to another state and no matter how shipped there must be tracking and an adult signature at delivery. Also when shipping you must declare that the package contains a firearm and the packaging should not have anything indicating that it contains a gun.

As a non-FFL and non-retail business I am pretty much limited to normal shipping rates where as businesses seem to have access to discounted services, the one exception being ShipMyGun.com. I have previously posed about my positive experiences with ShipMyGun. Because I can't offer discounted shipping or a low flat shipping cost I am at a bit of a disadvantage, and some buyers don't understand the reason that the actual shipping cost is more than for the last gun they bought from XYZ Gun Shop on line.

That's it for now. Maybe next i will recount a couple of horror stories.
Old June 09, 2019, 14:07   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
My FFL charges me $35 to ship a gun he sells for me or $35 to ship to another gunsmith when my FFL can't do the work.

I had a couple of high dollar target guns and had him do the selling on gun broker. One took a year to sell. I find it easier and better to have him sell my guns on GB.

Next year I will do a few gun shows and sell some things, maybe two shows in the year.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 15:17   #3
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman View Post
I started selling some guns from my collection as a newbie on GunBroker about a month and a half ago. I wanted to share what I have learned so far with others who may want to get started. Veteran gun sellers may want to add their own comments to my musings. I did research on past sales of similar firearms to get an idea of what the market would bear and one thing that stood out is that two seemingly similar guns could go for wildly different prices, or even one sell at a high price and another one priced lower not sell at all. I decided that setting a high initial bid and a reserve price were two factors that appeared to discourage bidding. Of course putting up a gun on a 1 cent no reserve auction runs the risk of not getting the price I want, but I'm liquidating not running a for-profit business.
From what i noticed and i do sell on GB, is that its timing and many other things that can affect the selling price.

There are those that are just greedy, no easy way to put it, so you will see that too. Then what it comes down to is that if someone wants its bad enough, someone may buy it. some people have more money too.

Most of my toys i bought and sold are no longer made and so far, i got more money than what i paid. someone mentioned in some other board, that there are better ways to make and invest money. And im sure there is, but i had my fun too.

Quote:
After the sale is made the next thing was shipping. I found that as a non-FFL my shipping options are more restrictive than for an FFL. For example an FFL can send a handgun via USPS Priority Mail where as a non-licensee can only ship it by common carrier (UPS or FedEx), and common carriers require handguns to be shipped via over night air which costs more than $100. Shipped firearms must go to an FFL if sent to another state and no matter how shipped there must be tracking and an adult signature at delivery. Also when shipping you must declare that the package contains a firearm and the packaging should not have anything indicating that it contains a gun.
yes, if you are not aware of this, it can be an issue.

not sure about the tracking and adult signature. But usually tracking is like air. its there now. Ive sent some books via media mail and they give tracking - go figure.

when i sell a gun, i alway do insurance, tracking and signature required. I see it as low hanging fruit and as no-duh.

I use my FFL to send the guns out. They make some $$ on a transfer and i get to send it via USPS. To me its win-win.

If you are gong to sell more, consider looking and finding an FFL and transfer the gun via them.

Quote:
As a non-FFL and non-retail business I am pretty much limited to normal shipping rates where as businesses seem to have access to discounted services, the one exception being ShipMyGun.com. I have previously posed about my positive experiences with ShipMyGun. Because I can't offer discounted shipping or a low flat shipping cost I am at a bit of a disadvantage, and some buyers don't understand the reason that the actual shipping cost is more than for the last gun they bought from XYZ Gun Shop on line.

That's it for now. Maybe next i will recount a couple of horror stories.
you can block bidder if you want.

Not sure if you notice that there are some scammers out there. They will use some existing gun photos and post FS adds. But where theres $$ to be made, there will be scammers. its sort of human nature.

You can put restrictions on how you do things too. Everytime i have a bad buyer i will consider posting that into my restrictions. But i also know that not everyone is out to screw everyone too, so i will put a note to call.

when i started to buy/sell on GB, i wanted to buy/bid on something and i didnt have the feedback rating the seller wanted. So i contacted them and to see why? in the end i was able to work with the person to their satisifcation and i was able to bid/buy the toy.

I really dont like the noob buyers since they are usually all hyper and so afraid of getting ripped off, the hassle with calls and such and sometimes they dont know anything other than its looks cool. I look at a persons review knowing it could be old. But look and get a feel for the overall quality of the person doing the buying/selling. Since the review are vetted and you can only leave if you did a transaction, it will leave out the crap. But i have also left some good review for people that have messed up on things. Some people dont read or overlook things. I have and even on some of the toys i sold.

Some people on GB are only there for the $$$, they dont know what they are selling other than it goes BANG. So you have to know what you want and if you are not awere, then you can get screwed.

Ive seen some noobs with 0 rating trying to see a gun with a high reserved price. Im sure they want more? money or maybe want to get what they have into it. Everyone starts a 0, but they need to consider alot of people it will raise red flags. To me, i would just do some buying/selling and get my rating off 0 then do that expensive toy.

Ive been doing all of my sells at 0.01 and most if not all, i have made some money. notice i didnt put a number here?

If you want to play the game, then you need to be ready to loose too. For the toys i bought and as i mentioned, they arent made anymore some will be more collectable than others. Some may not be desired at all, but thats ok.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 15:27   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I always cap shipping for long guns at $35.

This is just a hobby for me. Iím selling because itís an old toy I no longer want. All I want is it to be out of my way, and to get some of my money back as part of the action.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 15:32   #5
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Gate hinges worth less than $400, and that fit in a small box, ship cheap out of UPS stores. No insurance. Declared value $30. If the hinges go missing, my loss. Havenít lost any hinges yet.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 16:17   #6
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
I thinned the herd thru a LGS who collects 15% on the sale. I'm happy with that agreement. GB fees and shipping hassle being a non FFL just wasn't worth a few more $, IMO. Didn't lose $, some broke even, some 1-2 hundred $+, of course that depends on the item for sale. This LGS has customers looking for collectible milsurps, the used AR's sit in the rack for months. My 2 cents...

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 21:32   #7
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
I sell on Armslist and give the locals first shot at what I'm selling. If they don't sell locally, I sell on GB. I check prices and price accordingly. Some things are more expensive and I'm not giving shit away...guess that makes me greedy for wanting as much as I can get. Whatever...some people just can't grasp the concept of winning.

When you get shitheads, block them. It will make your life easier down the road. When they refuse to contact you and pay, follow the GB protocols and get your auction fees refunded. It's your money and you don't need to pay for some asshole's incompetence. Leave feedback reflecting how the sale went. I check sellers and buyers both. If you get a buyer that has a run of bad feedback and you're next, block him.

I pass on the shipping to the buyer. Mine is expensive because I ship priority with full insurance. All of my pistols have sold locally so I don't worry about UPS's thieving unionized employees and their bullshit overnight shipping policy as a result.

I used to do gun shows, but they have turned into over-priced flea markets. I'm embarrassed to be a part of that retardation so I quit and sell on line exclusively. Doesn't cost anything and I can do it all year long.

I would cut off my balls and eat them before I sold to or through a local shop. The pricks in my area will offer less than half of fair market value with an outright purchase or trade. If I want lied to, I hit a local shop. Haven't set foot in one for several years now as a result. I have a few friends with licenses if I ever buy something that needs transferred in, but they aren't the thieving shop owners in the area.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 09, 2019, 23:33   #8
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
A couple of my observations are:
Take a lot of good detailed pics.
Find an FFL who will ship to buyers' FFL and handle the transaction at a reasonable cost.
Using past sales figures, figure your bottom $ (your either downsizing like I am, or changing directions and looking for a new caretaker) and go 10-15% below.
If you ever have gone to a live auction the number will start out high and normally drop a bunch before it gets up to the auctioneers original asking price so don't be upset if it relists once or twice before you drop the starting #.
I always send a firearm in a new gun case and insure for the top $, just in case.
Old June 10, 2019, 02:50   #9
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

This is just a hobby for me. Iím selling because itís an old toy I no longer want. All I want is it to be out of my way, and to get some of my money back as part of the action.
you can royally screw yourself on this.

I forgot about Alaska and Hawaii. See how much it will cost you to ship a rifle there.

I put 2 prices now. 1 for the lower 48 and the other for AK & HI.

but its your money
Old June 10, 2019, 02:54   #10
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
Find an FFL who will ship to buyers' FFL and handle the transaction at a reasonable cost.
Using past sales figures, figure your bottom $ (your either downsizing like I am, or changing directions and looking for a new caretaker) and go 10-15% below.
If you ever have gone to a live auction the number will start out high and normally drop a bunch before it gets up to the auctioneers original asking price so don't be upset if it relists once or twice before you drop the starting #.
I always send a firearm in a new gun case and insure for the top $, just in case.
this helps alot.
Old June 10, 2019, 11:07   #11
jaxman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
All good advice. I do try to have as many detailed pics as possible. Doesn't cost anything except my time to take them, clean them up and post. I have found that keeping jpg file size about 40kb seems to work best.

I have been looking for a local FFL to help me with a handgun transfer. Some I have contacted want nothing to do with an out going transfer. Others quote $25 or $30 fee + actual shipping with shipping estimates at about $30. If my current Buyer goes along with my suggestion to use a ShipMyGun listed FFL the cost to them will be about $45. IMHO the best way to go.

I have tried to use past sales for a similar item as a pricing guide with mixed success. Seems that when a previous one sold for a higher price the guy willing to pay that price had been satisfied and was no longer bidding.

For a higher priced rifle I do use a hard case and insurance which IMHO protects me as much as it protects the Buyer.
Old June 10, 2019, 14:22   #12
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
schedule your auctions to end at 6 pm on sunday.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019, 14:34   #13
jaxman
Registered

My daughter advised me to have auctions end on the weekend also. She does eBay not GB but still a good idea.
Old June 10, 2019, 16:53   #14
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
i find that cross-traffic is important, so i put up 15-20 items at a time, all "penny start", and rarely get below market price. buyers see penny start and look at your other auctions, so good titles are important to bring in the crows:

1893 Mauser 7X57
1903 Springfield 30-06
Smith and Wesson model 19 357 mag
H&R 12 gauge pump shotgun...

and you have 11 keywords that being in a variety of people.

don't make the mistake of listing several identical items9glut), or more than 20 items (short attention span).
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesnít appeal to you, youíre a frikkin' pansy. Also, youíre probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2019, 17:48   #15
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
For the most part, especially when selling more collectible and obscure items, Gunbroker is much easier to deal with than selling on internet forums.

The people who put the legwork into researching the item will ask the direct questions, and will bid.

The nice part is that the seller can ignore or block newbies who ask 15 questions (which I don't have an issue with), only to initiate arguments because they magically became an expert after performing a 10 minute Google search.

If I have a person bidding with low feedback, I will send them a message confirming there intentions and make sure they have their ducks in a row if a firearm is involved. If the person doesn't respond, they will be blocked, which rarely occurs.

You will encounter asshats, whether buying or selling. My only negative feedback in nearly 10 years came from an establishment who told me that the shotgun that I won was sold in store and no longer available, while basically stating too bad, so sad. I didn't leave feedback, to avoid retaliation, only to receive negative feedback two weeks later for not paying for the item!
Old June 12, 2019, 06:38   #16
2barearms
I really donít hate you
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

If you have an account with UPS or FEDEX it might go for that. Anything in the corners like Washington for instance from Texas is around 60.00. Shipping a rifle
from the PO is a royal pain in the ass for a non FFL. Never mind the part where they arenít supposed to ask whatís in the box....if it looks like a rifle they will.
And if itís sealed you either have to sign a form stating itís unloaded or be able to open it and show them it isnít loaded.....itís by weight and it ainít cheap either.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2019, 07:51   #17
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
My observations:

1. There is no established value/ price. Selling prices are extremely variable. Nutty even.

I watched two identical 1919a4 kits at the same time, one sold for $3400 and the other $2400.

Plum AK74 bayonets have run $85- $185 depending on which way the breeze blows. They can sit for months at $85, then two guys get into a bidding war and drive the price up. Meaning, timing is a big element.

2. I hate penny auctions.

First, because you run the risk of selling well below value. It has happened to me.

Recently while looking at completed auctions, I saw a MG42 barrel that did NOT sell at one penny! In pointing this out to a a few of the known collectors, somehow everyone had missed it!

Second, the penny guys ask loads of questions, but are never the winners. The winners rarely ask questions- they know what they see, they know the cost of risk, and they don't need to ask questions.

3. Summer is awful.

Two times of year that are terrible for selling, with prices way low: Thanksgiving until mid-January and Summer. Everyone is busy shooting or outdoors in summer, and the Christmas season everyone is spending money on the family.

4. Great photos may NOT bring more money.

I have posted up to 44 photos of an item. To my surprise, I cannot say with conviction that many quality photos increase the price. Sometimes to the contrary- high def photos reveal minor flaws, whereas crappy photos don't, so buyers don't see flaws.

5. Reputation sells faster and brings more $$.

Sellers who are well known for high-end material and to be subject matter experts sell faster and get more. They have a following. This takes time.

6. Fixed Price does sell.

It may take a while, but in many cases, somebody will come along and pay the fixed price. Of course, it must be unique such that there is not much competition.

The target often is the buyer that suddenly want something and wants it NOW.

7. Be clear in your payment expectations.

ALWAYS state a time during which the payment must be received. There are many who will drag out payment. By stating "payment must be received within 10 days" you leave yourself the option to cancel the sale and relist.

Likewise, if you request USPS MO, you will run into many who want to pay by Paypal or check AFTER they make the purchase. It doesn't matter why you demand USPS MO, that is your selling terms, period. If the buyer won't pay as you indicated, you can cancel the sale and re-list.

Keep in mind you can then file a claim with GB to recover your listing costs.
Old June 12, 2019, 17:28   #18
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
My observations:

1. There is no established value/ price. Selling prices are extremely variable. Nutty even.

I watched two identical 1919a4 kits at the same time, one sold for $3400 and the other $2400.

Plum AK74 bayonets have run $85- $185 depending on which way the breeze blows. They can sit for months at $85, then two guys get into a bidding war and drive the price up. Meaning, timing is a big element.

First, because you run the risk of selling well below value. It has happened to me.

Recently while looking at completed auctions, I saw a MG42 barrel that did NOT sell at one penny! In pointing this out to a a few of the known collectors, somehow everyone had missed it!

Second, the penny guys ask loads of questions, but are never the winners. The winners rarely ask questions- they know what they see, they know the cost of risk, and they don't need to ask questions.

3. Summer is awful.

Two times of year that are terrible for selling, with prices way low: Thanksgiving until mid-January and Summer. Everyone is busy shooting or outdoors in summer, and the Christmas season everyone is spending money on the family.

I have posted up to 44 photos of an item. To my surprise, I cannot say with conviction that many quality photos increase the price. Sometimes to the contrary- high def photos reveal minor flaws, whereas crappy photos don't, so buyers don't see flaws.

Sellers who are well known for high-end material and to be subject matter experts sell faster and get more. They have a following. This takes time.

It may take a while, but in many cases, somebody will come along and pay the fixed price. Of course, it must be unique such that there is not much competition.

ALWAYS state a time during which the payment must be received. There are many who will drag out payment. By stating "payment must be received within 10 days" you leave yourself the option to cancel the sale and relist.

Likewise, if you request USPS MO, you will run into many who want to pay by Paypal or check AFTER they make the purchase. It doesn't matter why you demand USPS MO, that is your selling terms, period. If the buyer won't pay as you indicated, you can cancel the sale and re-list.

all true.

but when i sell something its not my intention to hide anything and is why i try to give clear and detailed photos.

Ive bought things and felt i got burned, but its "buyer beware". Again, im not trying to get anything over on the person. If a gun i bought and is now selling is used, i say so. If i bought it used and never shot it, i will say so. I have more toys that i have NOT shot than shot. So im selling more now and i wont be getting out there to shoot the ones i havent shot.

People that are collectors know better and those that want a 100% reliable cool toy dont know any better or what 100% reliable. Ive bought too many toys and know better than to expect 100%. But to each his own too.

you can ASK for things, but will you get them is a different story. I ask for a USPS MO since its cash more or less. Im open to other forms of payment since i do know there isnt a USPO office on every corner and recently they cut back on many rural offices whereas i think they should have cut offices in the city where they are more plentiful. IMO. I also state that in my add too. But all i want to know is whats coming and what i need to do on my end. I asked my credit union about various checks and such. By law, the funds should be avlaible in your account that day? or maybe the next day? or something to that affect. Since im not needing the cash at that moment it doesnt really matter to me, but it may take time for those funds to be available. Even a bank draft i got a surprised answer.

I had some buyer not give a crap on what they did and how they did it. They took more than 1 month to get my money to me. NO communication as to when i would or should expect it, nothing. I had emailed them several times asking when or let me know if they were still alive or not. Nothing. the day i start GB proceedings for unpaying bidder, the money shows up.

that person was more or less giving me the bird. I believe in karma, so what goes around will come around and he will get his in time.

Some of the people are just noobs and have no common sense and they are so googled eyed, then dont read the add. It takes time to get them up to speed and to teach them how things are done. But usually they will get the idea and be able to buy/sell.

some guy bought an AR rifle from me. Sent me the money snail mail and wanted the gun by x day so he could shoot a match. He was a noob and this was during one of our snow events. Nothing was said about a shooting match and i didnt have anything about inclement weather. Its a crap shoot if my dealer is in during those times too. But he was not a happy camper.

Had another guy buy a toy for his sons Birthday. No mention of this and and he wanted it 2 days after i got the money and it was the weekend. way to plan things and he sent funds snail mail.

when people dont plan for things and know full we'll, its not my problem to fix their issues due to lack of planning. Sometimes i will bend over backwards for a person, but they need to at the minimum TRY to do their part.

for some its all ME, ME, ME, so if thats how they think or look at how they do business, then its a big FU from me. You can buy from someone else.

many things that can go wrong and can create issues. All you can do is to try and clearly state what you want and would like and go from there. if they read and follow the instructions, is a different matter. again, every time i have an issue, im thinking about adding that to my sale comments.
Old June 12, 2019, 17:51   #19
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Most of the time it all boils down to good comms IMHO.

I bought some ammo here recently that went missing in UPS. The seller shipped me a duplicate order. It was roughly three weeks from sending him a PP to actually getting some ammo. No drama what-so-ever. We kept in touch every couple days, he fixed it how he could do so and started his own thing with UPS. If someday the original package does show up here, then I will pay him for that too. No drama.

On the other side of that fence, a couple years ago here, I sold a very nice shotgun to a guy who I had dealt with before and trusted. He had a father-in-law, BIL, brother or someone coming in town to go dove/pheasant/something hunting and asked me to ship it overnight which I did. He had a great weekend with the family and the shotty. I got my money when it was convenient for him which was great for me. Again just good comms and no drama.

Seller sells USPS only? Ask him before bidding if he will do X, Y, or Z instead. Most will work with you within reason if you communicate up front. If they won't that is OK too. Don't bid on that item if you cannot live with the seller's terms.

Good comms solves and/or prevents a LOT of possible issues with PTP online sales.

My two cents.
Old June 12, 2019, 19:36   #20
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Absolutely.

Some folks bring up that dealing with uneducated buyers is annoying. It can be, especially if the buyer is wishy washy, and wants to argue because he read something after a 10 minute Google search. Either ignore or block the person if they start acting like an ass.

On the flipside, you may have an uneducated person who has a general idea of what they are looking for. Often, if you field the person's question, and even point them in the proper direction to do their own research, that newbie will take off with .01 opening bid item, and will often outbid the educated buyers. We as hobbyists forget that many people don't want to spend hours of time waiting for the exceptional deal.
Old June 13, 2019, 00:20   #21
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post

I bought some ammo here recently that went missing in UPS. The seller shipped me a duplicate order. It was roughly three weeks from sending him a PP to actually getting some ammo. No drama what-so-ever. We kept in touch every couple days, he fixed it how he could do so and started his own thing with UPS. If someday the original package does show up here, then I will pay him for that too. No drama.

On the other side of that fence, a couple years ago here, I sold a very nice shotgun to a guy who I had dealt with before and trusted. He had a father-in-law, BIL, brother or someone coming in town to go dove/pheasant/something hunting and asked me to ship it overnight which I did. He had a great weekend with the family and the shotty. I got my money when it was convenient for him which was great for me. Again just good comms and no drama.

Seller sells USPS only? Ask him before bidding if he will do X, Y, or Z instead. Most will work with you within reason if you communicate up front. If they won't that is OK too. Don't bid on that item if you cannot live with the seller's terms.

Good comms solves and/or prevents a LOT of possible issues with PTP online sales.

My two cents.
Thats all i ask.

they dont have to send me a message every 10 minutes. Just let me know what going on. I get it that people have lives and that life can get in the way and S happens. It happens to me too!

but some just dont get it.
Old June 13, 2019, 01:47   #22
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Interesting info, thanks. I never sold firearms on GB but have bought several. When I do sell it's locally through the gun shop (small commission but no shipping costs). When down south at my other home in Utah I use the Utah Gun Exchange (like GB but can set up a meet and make the sale). I just try to make it simple as possible and avoid the hassles.
Old June 13, 2019, 10:01   #23
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Some FFLs will ship handguns at a reasonable priceas they can ship it cheap priority mail.

I use USPS for long guns - have never had any issues.

Last time I shipped a handgun I found the local Fed Ex Store (former Kinkos) was happy to ship it via ground ( I declared it as a handgun) as long as I was shipping to an FFL.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2019, 12:14   #24
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
Some FFLs will ship handguns at a reasonable priceas they can ship it cheap priority mail.

I use USPS for long guns - have never had any issues.

Last time I shipped a handgun I found the local Fed Ex Store (former Kinkos) was happy to ship it via ground ( I declared it as a handgun) as long as I was shipping to an FFL.
I used them for mostly handguns since they have flat rate boxes and if your handgun fits, its a deal.

I use to use them for long guns, but for some reason i had an expensive shipment where i lost alot of money, so i dropped using them.

but looking at their rates every for AK & HI, i may have to try them again and see how it works out.
Old June 13, 2019, 12:15   #25
toys
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Interesting info, thanks. I never sold firearms on GB but have bought several. When I do sell it's locally through the gun shop (small commission but no shipping costs). When down south at my other home in Utah I use the Utah Gun Exchange (like GB but can set up a meet and make the sale). I just try to make it simple as possible and avoid the hassles.
Id like to use local, but they dont get alot of new walkup customers so it will usually be a long sell for anything unless you give it away.
Old June 13, 2019, 12:57   #26
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I do the 15% deal at my FFL when I sell.

As a buyer, what makes me buy?

#1, bad pics, vague descriptions and outright fraud piss me off. Wild claims about the gun for sale are simply insane, as is the high price.

# 2, I hate shill bidders.

I recently bid on two other, US Property Enfields, before I bought the one I did.

Each time, A+2 or A+0 or A+1 was bidding against me, driving up the score; those may be the gunowner himself, and/or his kids or friends, bidding up the price.

I let them buy their own gun... , because I bid what I figure is fair. I lost each gun for $5.00...........only because I refused to get into a fake bidding war.

No one else bid on the one I purchased...not one. Great pictures, but the description was shaky I thought.

Seller had no friends or kids. I bid $250 more than I paid for the gun, at what I thought was fair, but no one else bid.

"Buy It Now" prices are usually way up there.

Setting a realistic "buy it now" will get my $$$. When I sell, we set the mimimum, BIN, I will sell for, and let'er go.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2019, 11:35   #27
jaxman
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
My observations:

3. Summer is awful.

Re 7: Been there. Have a current Winning Bidder who adamantly refuses the USPS MO payment that I specified as the ONLY one I will accept. Keeps saying "personal check", "Paypal", or "Bank MO". So far lots of blather from him but no payment.

Previous auction the Winning Bidder is in a state that was specifically excluded from sale by name. He wanted to debate endlessly that in fact that particular firearm is legal in his state. I never said it wasn't I just excluded his state because I don't need hassles from anti-2A state authorities. Did a NPB but I see that he is challenging it. So I have been charged listing fees and he wants to get up on a soap box on my dime. Just to make it more galling the guy is an FFL who has the right to refuse any sale to anyone for any reason or no reason
Old June 15, 2019, 12:16   #28
ServiceRifle
Registered

FALaholic #: 23959
Didn't read through the entire thread. So if this has been covered before- please forgive the repetition.

I don't like Gunbroker - never have - I don't have an account - BUT I have purchased many things from Gunbroker sellers - buy contacting outside the auction. Sometimes it requires some detective work to figure out who they are - some times the seller makes it easy.

So my recommendation is that you make it easy for the buyer to contact you outside the auction. Include your phone number and/or your email address (preferably BOTH) in the description section of what you are selling - and include a statement that you reserve the right to terminate the auction if it has no bids and you sell the item locally. You will be surprised that occasionally somebody comes along who wants your item and who you will be able to strike a deal with.

There is not really a downside on this as you are not going to ship your item until you have been paid - and the buyer will still have to proceed through an FFL. Furthermore, you will save the Gunbroker fees on the deal. So they will basically function as a free classified listing service.
ServiceRifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2019, 18:31   #29
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceRifle View Post
Didn't read through the entire thread. So if this has been covered before- please forgive the repetition.

I don't like Gunbroker - never have - I don't have an account - BUT I have purchased many things from Gunbroker sellers - buy contacting outside the auction. Sometimes it requires some detective work to figure out who they are - some times the seller makes it easy.

So my recommendation is that you make it easy for the buyer to contact you outside the auction. Include your phone number and/or your email address (preferably BOTH) in the description section of what you are selling - and include a statement that you reserve the right to terminate the auction if it has no bids and you sell the item locally. You will be surprised that occasionally somebody comes along who wants your item and who you will be able to strike a deal with.

There is not really a downside on this as you are not going to ship your item until you have been paid - and the buyer will still have to proceed through an FFL. Furthermore, you will save the Gunbroker fees on the deal. So they will basically function as a free classified listing service.
Yeah, skirting their system is the way to go because their services should be free and it's unfair. Then there's suckers like me that do it the right way and end up paying more when prices increase because they're just being a greedy corporation that only cares about profits. Thanks for that!

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote