The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old June 06, 2019, 18:16   #1
Leed709
Registered

FALaholic #: 36213
Century R1A1

Received R1A1 that I won on auction.. Rifle is nice shape on embel receiver. Rifle came with a metal hand guard with folding bypod attached. Front plastic hand guard were included. Upper had a DSA rail installed. Disassembly rifle for cleaning I found the bolt carrier had no sn#. Bolt had sn# etched on botton. Bolt has sand cuts and is stamped with crossed flags with the letters L&P also stamped on sidt of bolt is AD. Barrel very nice inside and out. The barrel is stamped with crossed flags and letters L&P. Is this a British rifle? Thanks leed
Leed709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2019, 18:24   #2
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Aussie is AD. Brit is UB or UE prefix.
Old June 06, 2019, 19:10   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
Nice snag. Please post photos.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2019, 20:41   #4
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

I think I did ok. $700.00 with a embel receiver and the extra items. I've removed the metal hand guards and bypod and installed the black plastic hand guards on the rifle. Is this a metric or inch pattern rifle? One last question. Did the aussie rifle have bypods on them? Sorry i'm not able to send pic, but when my daughter comes over here i will try to get her to send pic.
Old June 07, 2019, 08:50   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I would guess you have an FN pattern Receiver built with L1A1 rifle parts, or some combination thereof modified to accept L1A1 parts, Selector-Mag Release-Charging Handle etc. Some were cut for L1A1 mags, others left as is for FN mags.

Century R1A1s were built with Imbel or Century receivers and mostly Aussie parts, but anything laying around the warehouse that could be assembled into a rifle and sold is possible.

These rifles were assembled haphazardly and I would strongly suggest having the headspace checked.
My "Mutt" was off quite a bit, some .007"+.
Old June 07, 2019, 19:51   #6
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

Rifle has a embel receiver,AD marked Bolt is aussie,AD marked Lower receiver is aussie,AD marked barrel is aussie. Don't know about the stock and pistol grip. Pistol grip has a wooden insert in front. I think this rifle was assembled from a matching kit. Receiver in marked imported by century
Old June 08, 2019, 20:51   #7
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

Sounds like my "Mutt", all Aussie parts on an Imbel Receiver. My Imbel was modified for L1A1 Charging Handle, Bolt Hold Open and Selector, but left with FN (metric) mag cut.

Your Pistol Grip is L1A1 and that would mean your Lower Receiver and Buttstock is also.

I changed the cheap plastic stocks with Aussie wood, removed the "Combo" Flash hider and installed an original L1A1 five prong type. Luckily, the muzzle threads were left intact.

My barrel was overtimed and had to be removed and torqued to zero. Already mentioned the really bad head spacing.

Another trouble was Century's two-piece Gas Piston that needs to be replaced, it was undersized and causing low gas problems anyway.

It was a great rifle for the "FAL Troubleshooting Course 101".
Old June 08, 2019, 21:25   #8
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

Thanks for the reply. I have been cleaning up this rifle and a couple of things I don't understand. The first is the way the gas piston plug has no markings. Nothing on one side and a groove on the other side. How do you tell which is right firing the rifle. The second thing is how do you tell if the rifle uses metric or inch pattern magazines. I have been reading a lots of the older postings and I found a posting by enbloc8 dated 15 mar. 14 that listed blocks of sn# that were sent from Australia to New Zeland. The sn# Ad621071 on my lower receiver is faint but it is still readable. I think this rifle was sent from Australia to New Zeland. I could be wrong.
Old June 08, 2019, 22:03   #9
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978

You can see the corresponding square and half moon cuts in the receivers for inch or metric mags.

ARS has a good tutorial that you may find helpful. https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/t...bhole-sporter/

The groove in the gas plug should be up for shooting.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2019, 22:45   #10
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

Thanks for the reply. My rifle is set up to use inch cut magazine according to the pic.that you posted.
Old June 10, 2019, 08:00   #11
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

You can use FN (metric) mags with your L1A1 cut Receiver, not ideal, but they will work in most rifles. L1A1 mags have become scarce and pricey. Grab 'em when you find them.

There should be another digit in your ser #.
AD6203946-AD6211165 went to Australia. Unusual, as most of the Aussie parts kit in the US today came from Malaysia.
Old June 10, 2019, 20:54   #12
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

I have check the sn# again on lower receiver and there is another number but all of the numbers are faint and the black paint makes them hard to read. The last number could be a 8 or 9.
Old June 10, 2019, 21:08   #13
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

Have another question. When did century stop importing the embel no logo receivers and start importing the embel logo receiver This rifle has a no logo receiver.
Old June 10, 2019, 22:43   #14
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed709 View Post
Have another question. When did century stop importing the embel no logo receivers and start importing the embel logo receiver This rifle has a no logo receiver.
IMBEL
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"
base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2019, 01:12   #15
Leed709
Registered

R1A1

Question.What is the difference in the metric wood stock and the inch pattern wood stock?
Old June 12, 2019, 06:16   #16
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leed709 View Post
Question.What is the difference in the metric wood stock and the inch pattern wood stock?
There's a big difference in the way they butt up to the back of lower receivers
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2019, 08:33   #17
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

L1A1 Lower Receivers require L1A1 Pistol Grips and Buttstocks, FN or metric pattern don't fit. The attachment method of the PG is different and the scallop shaped extension on the L1A1 Receiver is absent on the FN.

This is an FN (metric) for comparison. PG difference not shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvi-7-cs500.jpg (112.4 KB, 10 views)