The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13, 2018, 14:43   #1
douglas
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 22985
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 668
Nashville , Tenn.

My wife is scheduled to attend a conference in Nashville next week. The kids and I are tagging along with her. We will be staying in one of hotels downtown for the week.

If anyone is from Nashville or has spent some time there I would appreciate knowing what the must do/see things are.
My wife has already booked a paddle wheel boat ride tour. Goggle shows what look like a decent war museum downtown and my son spotted a large car museum as well.
I need to fill out the schedule of thing to do while my wife is in her conference and then later in the evening while she is off. A visit to the Grand Old Opry is also on the to do list.

Next is food . Are there any great bar-b-que or good Southern home style restaurants worth going to. Local hang outs are generally the best places to eat. Tourist food is the same where ever you go to.

Finally what is the city like as to security concerns ? No bars or late night drinking and mostly daytime and early evening out and about. I am thinking with that agenda it shouldn't be too bad. I wanted to drive but my wife is making me fly in so I am having to leave my EDC at home.
Thanks in advance as any tips about Nashville will be appreciated.
__________________
Front Sight....Front Sight...Front Sight...Only Hits Counts.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 15:32   #2
SWOHFAL
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 34346
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The not quite as disgusting RINO state
Posts: 19,206
The "better" areas are south of the city, for the most part. Vandy and the Parthenon are on West End Avenue, which, IIRC, takes you right into the Natchez Trace and some upscale areas, including by ALGORE's mansion. Ryman auditorium/Grand Ol' Opry is, IIRC, downtown, as is the state capitol. Andy Jackson and the Hermitage are east of town.
__________________
Man is tormented by no greater anxiety than to find someone quickly to whom he can hand over that great gift of freedom with which the ill-fated creature is born.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

Last edited by SWOHFAL; June 14, 2018 at 13:12.
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 16:03   #3
FIANNAFAL
Registered
 
FIANNAFAL's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 9035
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 671
Locals believe shredded pig meat without sauce to be Bar B Que! Nashville is like Dallas or Austin, nobody is actually from there.
Did 7 years in a county just outside Nashville. Big museum downtown not bad.
Not into CW so never went to Grand Old Opera.
Tx CHL valid in Tn. Open carry is more common outside of Nashville.
Not a big fan of Tn in general.
__________________
Ever notice how expensive cheap women are!!
FIANNAFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 16:17   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor
 
Invictus77's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74205
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western, KY
Posts: 6,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
I need to fill out the schedule of thing to do while my wife is in her conference
Wife unit and I could have hooked you and the kiddos up with a day trip, but we will be out trying to tame the PNW crowd that week

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
my wife is making me fly in so I am having to leave my EDC at home.
Flying with a gun is really uneventful. Read up on the rules yourself, but I think TN will honor a TX CCW permit. You will need a locked hard case and it takes an extra 15 minutes at bag claim to get your gun, Really it is "easy-peasy"
__________________
A 9 mm "might" expand
A 45 will NEVER shrink!!
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 06:55   #5
truenorth
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32832
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 47
The Lane car Museum is a must see. Don't fall for any of the other car museums!
Since you are doing the general Jackson, be sure to tour the nearby Opry Land Hotel, really! Why a hotel? Just do it...
Spend an afternoon, downtown Nashville. Cruise Lower Broad, and Second Ave. Get out before dark, unless you are so inclined... While in town, see the Country Music hall Of Fame; not into country, just do it. Its worth While.
Im outside of Nashville. PM me here if needed...
__________________
If everyone is thinking alike, then who is thinking?
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 15:05   #6
FIANNAFAL
Registered
 
FIANNAFAL's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 9035
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 671
Is the Lane museum down on Murphysburg Pike?
Its easy to wind up in a bad area, quick! Compared to most areas of Dallas all of Nashville looks like the projects.
Do not go east of the loop from downtown.
Also do not expect local directions to be understandable. Do not expect local pronounciation to match spelling of maps. LaFayYett rd

Highways, if you turn east you will be going west. VERY messed up road signage.

Messen with outsiders is a favorite pastime.
__________________
Ever notice how expensive cheap women are!!
FIANNAFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 16:19   #7
truenorth
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32832
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIANNAFAL View Post
Is the Lane museum down on Murphysburg Pike?
Its easy to wind up in a bad area, quick! Compared to most areas of Dallas all of Nashville looks like the projects.
Do not go east of the loop from downtown.
Also do not expect local directions to be understandable. Do not expect local pronounciation to match spelling of maps. LaFayYett rd

Highways, if you turn east you will be going west. VERY messed up road signage.

Messen with outsiders is a favorite pastime.
Yes, the Lane car Museum on Murfreesboro rd.; I didn't know there was another lane Car Museum, sorry.
__________________
If everyone is thinking alike, then who is thinking?
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 16:37   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY transplant to central Illinois, Now in Kentucky
Posts: 5,728
Lane car museum is a must see,,,but if you have the time.
Call them and ask about a basement tour,,,really,,,you'll be very glad you did..
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 15:22   #9
douglas
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 22985
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Lane car museum is a must see,,,but if you have the time.
Call them and ask about a basement tour,,,really,,,you'll be very glad you did..
Thanks for the heads up on the basement tour. It was well worth the time.

Now all I gotta do is win the lotto so that I can get me some of them toys !
__________________
Front Sight....Front Sight...Front Sight...Only Hits Counts.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 15:51   #10
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor
 
VALMET's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 1826
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,391
Did you happen to get Bolton’s spicy/nashville hot chicken? Hard to beat, haven’t been in years but will never forget that place.
__________________
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is a symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell, 1940.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 16:32   #11
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
yovinny's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7679
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY transplant to central Illinois, Now in Kentucky
Posts: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the basement tour. It was well worth the time.

Now all I gotta do is win the lotto so that I can get me some of them toys !
Glad to hear that,,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 13:43   #12
truenorth
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 32832
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
The Lane car Museum is a must see. Don't fall for any of the other car museums!
Since you are doing the general Jackson, be sure to tour the nearby Opry Land Hotel, really! Why a hotel? Just do it...
Spend an afternoon, downtown Nashville. Cruise Lower Broad, and Second Ave. Get out before dark, unless you are so inclined... While in town, see the Country Music hall Of Fame; not into country, just do it. Its worth While.
Im outside of Nashville. PM me here if needed...
One more thing, an important one....

Last night the wife and I ate at Woolworth on 5th. The best southern food I have eaten yet.
We were going to eat at Pucketts , another Southern food eatery, but a two hour wait.
Because Woolworth is new, we walked right in.
Southern food, Southern history.
I had the Pork Belly, Pecan Pie for dessert.
The best yet.... Trust me...
__________________
If everyone is thinking alike, then who is thinking?
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files