The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 1911 Files

Notices

Old August 25, 2017, 21:22   #1
jm7
Registered

FALaholic #: 52237
1911 advise

Recently sold my Gen 3 Glock 21SF. I liked it and it shot well but it never moved me. I am not interested in rails for gadgets or anything fancy. I want a basic 1911 style pistol with all steel construction. It can be new or used but within a $500-600 budget. Suggestions? Thanks.
jm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017, 22:06   #2
pl521
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74645
I recommend going with Norinco 1911

Recent thread here in Falfiles

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418055
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 09:36   #3
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Up for some reading? Scroll down about a third of the page.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/of...hread.1269683/

I would be looking for a good used Colt or Springfield and wouldn't pass up a Sig, but nobody is giving good used 1911's away so you might be stretching your buget a bit.
You might want to look at a Ruger SR1911 or a SA mil-spec. Both companies have good customer service and parts if needed. I don't have experience with the Ruger, but the Springfield I have is a good shooter.

Determine what features you want and buy a 1911 equipped with them installed. Some of the modernized bells and whistles like Beavertails and lowered ejection ports are pricey if you add them later unless you are a gee-whiz at pistol tinkering.

I can suffer with a plain old 1911 without the frills, but high profile sights and a good trigger are a must.

Last edited by MAINER; August 26, 2017 at 09:59.
MAINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2017, 13:55   #4
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
If you want to modify one to your own tastes, find a Colt 1991A1, which is a basic model. It has some plastic parts like the trigger, but that's usually the first part changed out on a 1911.

Also, Colt has probably the best, or one of the best, heat treatment in their steels. They only heat treated the front and rear of the slide for decades without any problems, but when they brought out the 10mm Delta, they started hammering slides so now the complete slide is properly heat treated. Heat treated to 10mm specs.

It's my favorite 1911 to modify.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017, 08:27   #5
gw104
Registered

FALaholic #: 33874
Maybe check out an RIA Tactical, just saying.
gw104 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017, 20:17   #6
squid8286
Registered

FALaholic #: 7276
Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
If you want to modify one to your own tastes, find a Colt 1991A1, which is a basic model. It has some plastic parts like the trigger, but that's usually the first part changed out on a 1911.

Also, Colt has probably the best, or one of the best, heat treatment in their steels. They only heat treated the front and rear of the slide for decades without any problems, but when they brought out the 10mm Delta, they started hammering slides so now the complete slide is properly heat treated. Heat treated to 10mm specs.

It's my favorite 1911 to modify.
I think a 1991 is a fine pistol. As said above, I changed out all the plastic stuff on it shortly after I bought mine. I have an Old Roll Mark Stainless, and believe it or not, it is one of the best fitted/finished Colts I have ever seen. You can't go wrong with one.
squid8286 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017, 20:47   #7
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
While a shade over the $600 mark, the Springfield Armory Range Officer is the best 1911 for the money in the current market. Well built, accurate, and semi-custom.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017, 21:42   #8
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
The RIA guns are solid but inexpensive. Not as inexpensive as they used to be (my first was $225 delivered to my FFL for a GI style NIB), but the Tactical is a great budget choice.

I'd also recommend looking at the CZ97b or clone thereof. CDNN used to (still does?) have the EAA clone for under $400 on a regular basis.
Old August 31, 2017, 05:40   #9
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm7 View Post
Recently sold my Gen 3 Glock 21SF. I liked it and it shot well but it never moved me. I am not interested in rails for gadgets or anything fancy. I want a basic 1911 style pistol with all steel construction. It can be new or used but within a $500-600 budget. Suggestions? Thanks.
While 1911's are a nice gun they are somewhat of an experts gun as far as tuning different parts goes to keep them running and the mags can be finicky as well. I doubt a 1911 will be as reliable in the long run as a glock and I do like 1911's. I've had wilsons, nighthawks, dan wessons, mimbers/kimbers and they all have choked at one time or another. They are nice and sleek and all metal for the most part compared to a glock, but need tuning from time to time.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 01, 2017, 19:24   #10
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
I'd also recommend looking at the CZ97b or clone thereof. CDNN used to (still does?) have the EAA clone for under $400 on a regular basis.
The CZ97 is a bigger frame gun. Much as I do like the CZ, I'd recommend the 1911.

My Colt 1991 needed a bit of smoothing and the trigger had to be cleaned up but has been running very well since the details were attended to. The trigger is fine even with the series 80 parts in it.

The CZ needed the trigger cleaned up (a job not for the faint of heart) and while it shoots very well, the gun has suffered several broken parts. I blame a light (factory) recoil spring for the sheared barrel lug. CZ replaced the barrel but I switched to a 16lb spring when I got it back. This made the gun difficult to reassemble because the spring needed more support or it wouldn't remain in place well enough to get the slide remounted on the frame. I subbed out the (original) short guide rod for an improvised full length guide rod.
CZ offers a 5-yr warranty. After that, you get to buy replacements for broken parts.

The Colt feeds almost everything. Metalform magazines seem to feed slightly smoother than the Chip McCormicks. The gun even ran with the cheap GI knock-off mags that I used until the welds on those magazines started to split. There are a -bunch- of companies making mags for the 1911. Some might not work so well. Good magazines are essential to keeping the 1911 happy. If you find a mag the gun likes, stick with the source.

The CZ97 can be fed from either CZ mags or Witness mags. They both are made by MecGar and work well. They hold 10 rounds and can require effort to get fully loaded.

Both guns tend to have some cartridge length that can cause them to choke. There is no way to know what that length is until you work with the gun for a while. When the gun experiences a nose-down jam, checking the cartridge length should be part of the trouble shooting process.
In either gun the jams occurred with hardball. Loading a bit longer or a bit shorter seemed to make the problem go away. When the CZ got a new barrel, I found out the replacement barrel had a different length preference.

The CZ has trouble with sharp shouldered bullets like wadcutters. During the firing process, the rim of the shell coming out of the chamber runs into the shoulder of the on-deck cartridge and while it does function, its a bit rough on the gun (other pistols have this issue too).
My CZ also isn't good at ejecting aluminum cases. I had persistent stovepipes and quit shooting aluminum Blazer in the CZ.

The Colt doesn't seem to care about the shoulder on the bullet; just so it isn't loaded too long to drop fully into the chamber (and drop back out again). Any aluminum Blazer I had left were fired through the Colt and it had no problems.
Old September 02, 2017, 07:46   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Own more 1911's than am willing to admit to. Last eight have all been SIG's of which only one was new. Can buy used SIG 1911's with all the blind could want for $600 to $650. The great thing is for $149 including two way express shipping SIG will take in a used 1911, co m pletely rip it apart, replace all wear items and springs then return with factory warranty. I prefer to buy used now (most have under 50 or under 100 rounds) run 500 to 1,000 rounds as decide which factory offered features want and while have them doing the factory refurb/warranty deal have them take trigger down to 3.25 pounds, sometime a front sight post change, ambidextrious safety if doesn't have it, 11 degree target crown, magwell funnel added if not on particular gun and basically all come back to my preferred configuration, super crisp and light trigger, warranty and have less invested than a new stock model. Let someone else shoot the first box of ammo and decide a 45 is too big for them and pick up nice pistol with the depreciation sucked up by a sucker. My average cost to get a used SIG totally done to my preferences is $199 to $249. Thus a $600 used version becomes a factory custom shop built pistol with warranty for $800 to $850.

My favorite is a Target Model sent back and had ambi safety, mag well and tritium front site post added. Also had Target crown done on barrel and 3.25 pound trigger. It and my Double Nickle Compact are my two favorites. I dislike any 1911 with picatinny rail on bottom of frame. Just creates drag on leather holsters and causes it to not fit half the better holsters.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2017, 00:42   #12
Seven Click's Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 17361
I bought a Sprigfield Armory Trophy match a while ago. It's a .45.
I've been very happy with it, having no problems, it was $1350 from a gun show.
They have been discontinued. Mine Is in Stainless. I did put in a Brazo's red microdot front sight on it. Also black/grey G10 grips. They are very aggressive.

Never a hiccup. Ran right out of the box after takedown and lubrication.
Hope this helps.
If I needed another one, I'd buy the same one and have no regrets.
Seven Click's Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2017, 18:37   #13
jugrunner
Deplorable
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
used Colt or new RIA .. !!
Old September 07, 2017, 18:10   #14
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Used Colt model 70 or new ATI, they make various models. I have the ATI commander, well made for the $, IMO. SB

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians
Snake Bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017, 08:18   #15
James
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 642
Ruger 1911 are good. I have one and it shoots great with no problems. I'm want to get the Lt weight commander version next but other things keep getting in the way of purchasing that one.

As far as mags go I found the Wilson to be the best. They work in the Ruger, Kimber, Colt and Norinco I have with no problems.

James
Old October 06, 2017, 20:44   #16
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
Took a Springfield Operator in trade. It took some time to get used to with the lower being not steel, so balance was a little different. But it has proven to be a very accurate pistol, lighter and a little more compact than a GI size. Only problem I had with it is I couldn't get the EoTech to co-witness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowitness 003.JPG (248.5 KB, 15 views)
Old October 06, 2017, 20:57   #17
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresere View Post
Took a Springfield Operator in trade. It took some time to get used to with the lower being not steel, so balance was a little different. But it has proven to be a very accurate pistol, lighter and a little more compact than a GI size. Only problem I had with it is I couldn't get the EoTech to co-witness.
Old October 18, 2017, 20:32   #18
jm7
Registered

FALaholic #: 52237
Cannot tell a lie

I bought a used Sig P220 from 308shooter. It's very nice. 1911 some day.
jm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 06:34   #19
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresere View Post
Jeez Andy! See what happens when you move away and I'm not gunsmithing for you anymore?

LOL!!!

idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote