The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old May 11, 2018, 04:50   #1
gf113
Registered

FALaholic #: 80887
l1a1 cocking handle lug

Whats the best way to drill the l1a1 cockcing handle lug for a roll pin to install it?
gf113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 15:57   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf113 View Post
Whats the best way to drill the l1a1 cockcing handle lug for a roll pin to install it?
Install it in the charging handle, the correct oriention of course, then drill it.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2018, 17:07   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
New ones come undrilled.

I assume you want to drill it for a common coil pin and not the correct L1A1 taper pin.

It is way too easy to snap the tiny drill, so I have developed this technique.

With the lug and slide out of the gun, insert the lug in the slide (facing the right direction!). Take a .073" (#49) and drill and drill the charging handle slide until it makes contact with the lug. Repeat from the other side.

Remove the lug. You now have two spots that need to be connected. Clamp in a vise and use a three corner file or a small Dremel cut-off wheel to make a groove.

Now reinsert and drill all the way through, aligning the two holes.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 13, 2018 at 11:36. Reason: too!
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018, 00:04   #4
gf113
Registered

FALaholic #: 80887
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
New ones come undrilled.

I assume you want to drill it for a common coil pin and not the correct L1A1 taper pin.

It is way too easy to snap the tiny drill, so I have developed this technique.

With the lug and slide out of the gun, insert the lug in the slide (facing the right direction!). Take a .073" (#49) and drill and drill the charging handle slide until it makes contact with the lug. Repeat from the other side.

Remove the lug. You now have two spots that need to be connected. Clamp in a vise and use a three corner file or a small Dremel cut-off wheel to make a groove.

Now reinsert and drill all the way through, aligning the two holes.
Will be getting the lug in soon and will use your method. Thank you for the help, it is much appreciated.
gf113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 07:45   #5
ppeeks59
Registered

FALaholic #: 80696
Instead of using the Dremel's cut-off wheel, I've used the 5/64 (0.078") cylinder point diamond wheel bit to "connect the dots" that I made using essentially the same marking technique described by gunplumber. Work slowly and keep test-fitting the lug until you can no longer see any of the groove you've been cutting obstructing any part of the hole for the pin. The tiny cylinder point rotary bit is truly perfect for this job. Also, I have used bolt cutters and the Dremel tool to fabricate half a dozen perfectly sized .078" dia. locking lug pins from standard steel music wire, blued once I'm happy with fit.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote