The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old January 03, 2019, 14:44   #1
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
Why hasn't Colt in the US made their own version of the IUR/MRR rifles?

Colt Canada sells them up north, and they look to be high quality modular rail rifles. I know that Colt sells their own AR-15s here, and there's a big aftermarket for ARs here in the US, but I'd think that the MRR would be a good offer if Colt USA made their own version, especially with cold hammer forged barrels like their Canadian counter parts.

Then again, considering that they seem to be constantly teetering on bankruptcy every few years, I know that some would suggest that Colt has bigger issues than not selling the latest and greatest in AR-15s.
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2019, 12:59   #2
jmaurath
Registered

FALaholic #: 17858
Colt could do a lot of things that make sense and would sell well. Not sure why they do what they do and don't do what they don't, doesn't make sense to me.
jmaurath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 21:56   #3
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaurath View Post
Colt could do a lot of things that make sense and would sell well. Not sure why they do what they do and don't do what they don't, doesn't make sense to me.
I agree that Colt has been mismanaged for decades. Their marketing people, assuming that they actually DO have marketing people, are out in left field somewhere, IMHO.
Old January 13, 2019, 01:07   #4
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Problems at Colt's Defense

Colt is a Union shop. Once Colt lost the US Army contract to FNMI in Columbia,SC, Colt had to start laying off line worker's that didn't go over to well with the union. Problem was that the OLD CEO of Colt's Defence was that, Retired USMC General William Keyes was hiring retired USMC Officer's that DIDN'T KNOW SHIT about a weapons company at all. None of them had marketing degree's, None of them had engineering degree's, They were nothing but a bunch of pencil pusher's,Didn't know how to interact with line employee's of a weapons corporation, But General Keyes didn't know nothing himself, But was hired by the owner of the company of Colt over 10 years ago. Then FNMI lost the replacement for the USMC contract for the M-249 SAW contract to of all companies, HK USA with the HK-416 for 3500 of them to replace the M-249 SAW's. That was done by another USMC General that got the contract for HK USA right before he retired from the Marine Corp's and funny that shortly after was hired by HK USA, But like everybody that HK hire's in management, Your only good to your last contract and then you gone, As in terminated if you can't continue to produce result's.

Happens all the time in the Corporate world these day's.
Old January 13, 2019, 10:53   #5
BarnOwlLover
Registered

FALaholic #: 81552
So the short story is this: Colt makes good stuff and could make some cool stuff that'd do well based on brand loyalty, but the company is run by idiots. Basically pencil pushers and guys who don't know too much about guns or how to run a firearms company.

Oddly, it seems that Colt Canada has their crap together, considering that they stayed solvent the last time that CMC/Colt Defense filed for bankruptcy after they lost exclusive rights supplying the M4 for the US Armed Forces (they now share contracts with FNUSA). Maybe they should import their management from the Canadian division, eh?

Also oddly, I saw a video the other night on You Tube about the Colt IAR. Seems to be a pretty good weapon that if Colt made a semi-auto commercial version would've sold well if marketed properly.
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019, 18:47   #6
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Colt's Defence

Problem is, Colt's unions have priced them self's right out of the market. When you have a US Govt. contract, You have to pay union scale, When you don't have those contracts, You shouldn't have to pay union scale. Being that Colt has had major lay off's in the last few years plus the state of Connecticut has major capital gain's tax's and to boot, They have shipping tax on everything that goes out the door, Ask me how I know.
Old January 13, 2019, 19:07   #7
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
The fact that Colt does not offer the reproduction 1911A1's that they have previously offered on a continuous basis tells me everything I need to know about how far their heads are implanted in their asses when it comes to judging what the market wants.
Old January 13, 2019, 20:27   #8
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Is there anything particularly interesting about the IUR or the MRR?

At the price Colt would demand, wouldn't it be cheaper to build a much better rifle?
I have a small custom gun shop and can build anything I want so maybe it's just me.
Old January 13, 2019, 20:45   #9
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
Is there anything particularly interesting about the IUR or the MRR?

At the price Colt would demand, wouldn't it be cheaper to build a much better rifle?
I have a small custom gun shop and can build anything I want so maybe it's just me.
Cheaper and even better maybe, but you can't put a prancing pony on it. Peoples put great store on them ponies and pay big bucks for them. Granted that most haven't a clue, but a Pony means quality to them.

I don't have a custom gun shop and can build anything I want, in the AR world anyway. You likely get it done more efficiently, but sooner or later I will get to pull the trigger. Hopefully, it will shoot in the general direction of the intended target. Adjustments can be made later.