Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old March 17, 2018, 18:07   #1
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Weatherby guys?

Though it may not be common knowledge here on the Files, but in addition to Belgian FNs and Valmets, I have an affinity for early US and German mfg Weatherby rifles. Any other Weatherby guys on here? Be it something collectible or simply one you enjoy hunting with.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018, 18:59   #2
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Yes. I have two Mark V's. The first one, I bought from a friend. It was built by Howard Wolfe and is chambered in 7mm-300 Weatherby. I liked it so much I later built one myself (same caliber). Trued the action in my lathe and chambered a Lilia barrel for it. It's my favorite Wyoming hunting rifle and I've taken quite a few head of game with it.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018, 19:22   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Sounds like an interesting (and likely undeniably accurate) rifle. How is 7mm-300 Wby different than the 7mm Wby mag?

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
Old March 17, 2018, 21:27   #4
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Longer case, more capacity. It's a 300 Weatherby necked down for a 7 mm bullet. It was designed in the early 1960's as a 1000 yard benchrest cartridge. My hunting load is a 140 grain boat tail with 89 grains of old H5010. It hits a little over 3500 fps, and shoots really flat on those long shots. My first gun has a thin profile barrel and shoots about 3/4 moa . The second one gas a heavier barrel and usually does 1/2 moa in calm air.
Old March 18, 2018, 00:44   #5
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I have a Weatherby Mark V ultra light in 338-06 A squared. Itís one of my favorite rifles to take elk hunting. Fully loaded, scope, sling and gun, she tips the scale at a little over 6.5 pounds. Itís a joy to pack up and down the mountain but not fun to sit at the bench and shoot all day. It will shoot sub-MOA if I do my part.

The 338-06 runs about 50 fps slower than a 338 Win mag. Uses less powder and has one more round in the magazine.

This was one of two factory made guns that I know that were made. The other is a Browning A-bolt. Iíve only seen one A-bolt and one other Mark V in 338-06
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018, 00:52   #6
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

I've poured over my loading books in the past and decided that at some point I'll build a 338/06. Kudos to you.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:17   #7
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Thank you for the explanation on cartridge RSU. And yes, 338-06 is a hell of a great cartridge.

Old March 18, 2018, 08:24   #8
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Weatherby, the new Wyoming rifle maker?

I have seen a Weatherby or two I admired, but they were very early ones built on FN Mauser actions. Never been much of a fan of the modern Mark V's due to the outlandish stocks that offends my conservative taste. and I don't have much use for magnum cartridges. Believe the Mark V actions and barrels are some of the best available for long range and big game.

There is a Weatherby Vanguard in the family, does that count?
OK, it's really a Howa 1500, but it's a 30-06 and probably the best cheap hunting rifle available when purchased some five years ago. It came with a composite stock but was changed out with a new walnut version.

That 338-06 has long appealed to me as well. Would likely choose it if building a new rifle.

Last edited by MAINER; March 18, 2018 at 09:06.
MAINER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018, 10:13   #9
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

As much as I like vintage Weatherby’s I agree with you regarding the Weatherby “flair” Mainer. I like German Customs but not Crown Customs...once you get into the inlay and gold, etc my interest falls off.

Also really like the early US-mfg Mark Vs built by PFI.

Old March 18, 2018, 10:19   #10
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
The mk actions are beautifully finished, but Ive never been a fan of rear locking turn bolts...probably from my experiences with the remmy 788's.
Push them a little hot and case stretch rears it's ugly head very quickly.

The Howa actions on the other hand are top notch in my book...
Even my 1st one, an original howa police rifle from the 80's with untold round count still shoots sub 1/2 moa when I do my part....
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2018, 10:51   #11
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Weatherby, the new Wyoming rifle maker?

I have seen a Weatherby or two I admired, but they were very early ones built on FN Mauser actions. Never been much of a fan of the modern Mark V's due to the outlandish stocks that offends my conservative taste. and I don't have much use for magnum cartridges. Believe the Mark V actions and barrels are some of the best available for long range and big game.

There is a Weatherby Vanguard in the family, does that count?
OK, it's really a Howa 1500, but it's a 30-06 and probably the best cheap hunting rifle available when purchased some five years ago. It came with a composite stock but was changed out with a new walnut version.

That 338-06 has long appealed to me as well. Would likely choose it if building a new rifle.
I watched a guy with a Vanguard n .270 cut nice little groups one day at the range. Awesome gun. If he had been using wind flags it would have been a half moa gun.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:46   #12
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I watched a guy with a Vanguard n .270 cut nice little groups one day at the range. Awesome gun. If he had been using wind flags it would have been a half moa gun.
Bought Vanguard in .300 Wby from Wally-world about 15 years ago that drove tacks with my handloads...

Old March 18, 2018, 13:10   #13
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
The mk actions are beautifully finished, but Ive never been a fan of rear locking turn bolts...probably from my experiences with the remmy 788's.
Push them a little hot and case stretch rears it's ugly head very quickly.

The Howa actions on the other hand are top notch in my book...
Even my 1st one, an original howa police rifle from the 80's with untold round count still shoots sub 1/2 moa when I do my part....
The Mark V has front locking lugs. Which Weatherby action had rear locking lugs? Thanks.

Last edited by Right Side Up; March 18, 2018 at 17:36.
Old March 19, 2018, 00:09   #14
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I've poured over my loading books in the past and decided that at some point I'll build a 338/06. Kudos to you.
I was planning on building a 338-06 after looking at it for about 10 years. I had started to gather parts when I came across my Weatherby. Sold my parts and bought the gun. It would have cost about the same amount maybe even more if I had a gun smith put it together.

I think the 338-06 is over looked a lot. When I first started to look at getting a 338 cal rifle back around 1999 I came to like two of them one was a round that no one was making a rifle for it at the time, it was a little know caliber called the 338 Lapua. And the other was the 338-06. While I knew of no manufacturer that made a 338-06, I knew that I could build one easy and I could always make the brass.

I say just do it, build or buy one. Donít wait.
Old March 19, 2018, 21:52   #15
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Years ago I bought a Weatherby Mark V in 30 06 from Walmart.

A very, very nice rifle indeed, especially for the price I paid (it was on sale).

They sold it to me for the same price as the Howa/Weatherby's they had on sale........
garandguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018, 00:38   #16
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Years ago I bought a Weatherby Mark V in 30 06 from Walmart.

A very, very nice rifle indeed, especially for the price I paid (it was on sale).

They sold it to me for the same price as the Howa/Weatherby's they had on sale........
You should almost be ashamed of that. Thatís a nice score.

Years ago I back when KMart sold ammo I had gone in with a friend to buy some shotgun shells. They were on sale for about $2 a box. We grabbed 4 cases each and went and checked out. When the lady rang up the first case it rang up at $2 for the case. I explained to her that there were 10 boxes in the case. She refused to charge me more than they rang up for. After several minutes of trying to be honest, I truned to my friend and told him to go grab 8 more cases and Iíd buy the ones we had already brought up. I almost felt bad about that one.
Old March 20, 2018, 06:50   #17
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
You should almost be ashamed of that. Thatís a nice score.

Years ago I back when KMart sold ammo I had gone in with a friend to buy some shotgun shells. They were on sale for about $2 a box. We grabbed 4 cases each and went and checked out. When the lady rang up the first case it rang up at $2 for the case. I explained to her that there were 10 boxes in the case. She refused to charge me more than they rang up for. After several minutes of trying to be honest, I truned to my friend and told him to go grab 8 more cases and Iíd buy the ones we had already brought up. I almost felt bad about that one.

I am very, very ashamed that I took advantage of Walmart and their sales policies.....lol
garandguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 07:27   #18
Grizz44
Registered

FALaholic #: 79236
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WM. Got it used at a local gunshop 5 years ago. It's a tack driver and lightning on Eastern Whitetails here. Ammo is a bit pricey, but definitely a keeper.
Grizz44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 12:03   #19
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I have 2 MK V's, a 340 and a 338, both with synthetic stocks. One was made by Saco, one in Japan, you cannot tell the difference in fit and finish. The 340 kicks like a mule, the 338 literally feels like a pussycat compared to it.

Shot my one and only AZ Elk with the 338, had 4 feet+ of penetration through meat, ribs and bone with the 250 Sierra. In left side, out right front side.

I may sell the 340 with 3-9 VX2 Leupold here soon, have not shot it in 15 years.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 21:37   #20
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
All I got is a box of Weatherby 7MM Weatherby Magnum ammo. Anyone want to buy it?
Larry