The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old February 10, 2019, 13:47   #1
Kaltesherz
Registered

FALaholic #: 82105
Bought Argy FMAP Para mixmaster, what can you tell me about it?

My state is quickly clamping down on gun rights, so I'm trying to pick up bucket list rifles while I can.

I won an Argy Para on GB and had a few questions about it. While I'm pretty knowledgeable on ARs, AKs, and HK stuff, I don't know much about FALs aside from what I've been able to find on here. I've been wanting a FAL, preferably a Para, but wanted to avoid issues with DSA stuff so I jumped on guy:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796594076

It looks like someone built it using a FMAP receiver and an Argy parts kit. I was hoping the Para parts were also Argy but it looks like they're not. My biggest concern is the sights, after winning the auction I read about open eared front sights being higher than closed eared, so I wonder if whomever built this rifle used the wrong parts and now these sights will be "off". I did find a vid on YouTube of someone claiming to have an original matching FMAP Para, and it has sights similar to these so I'm hoping I'll still be good.

What can you guys tell me? I can't pick it up for a few more days, and if I need to order a tall Izzy rear sight to fix it I'd rather do it sooner than later.
Thanks!
Kaltesherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 13:58   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Folder looks like a mil spec. Not sure if it’s argy. I don’t know the difference. The open ear gas block needs a tall tombstone Argy sight. Shoot it and see it shoots hopelessly low.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 14:18   #3
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Argie para for eighteen, you did well.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 14:31   #4
auggiedoggie
Registered

FALaholic #: 80476
Argie para

I am 99% sure the seller is a member here on the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltesherz View Post
My state is quickly clamping down on gun rights, so I'm trying to pick up bucket list rifles while I can.

I won an Argy Para on GB and had a few questions about it. While I'm pretty knowledgeable on ARs, AKs, and HK stuff, I don't know much about FALs aside from what I've been able to find on here. I've been wanting a FAL, preferably a Para, but wanted to avoid issues with DSA stuff so I jumped on guy:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796594076

It looks like someone built it using a FMAP receiver and an Argy parts kit. I was hoping the Para parts were also Argy but it looks like they're not. My biggest concern is the sights, after winning the auction I read about open eared front sights being higher than closed eared, so I wonder if whomever built this rifle used the wrong parts and now these sights will be "off". I did find a vid on YouTube of someone claiming to have an original matching FMAP Para, and it has sights similar to these so I'm hoping I'll still be good.

What can you guys tell me? I can't pick it up for a few more days, and if I need to order a tall Izzy rear sight to fix it I'd rather do it sooner than later.
Thanks!
auggiedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 14:48   #5
Kaltesherz
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Folder looks like a mil spec. Not sure if it’s argy. I don’t know the difference. The open ear gas block needs a tall tombstone Argy sight. Shoot it and see it shoots hopelessly low.
Do you have a source for an Argy sight? Would a tall Izzy rear sight work? Decent ranges for 7.62 NATO are a few hours drive, so I'd like to bring a tall rear sight to swap out during zeroing.
Old February 10, 2019, 14:53   #6
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Interesting rifle.

Looking at the ARMSCORP 1989 catalog it appears their Argentine import did have a 2 position rear sight on the open ear 50.63 folding stock model FAL so that may be correct. It also had a bipod barrel unlike the military model which had a non-bipod barrel. The Argentine "Bush" model has the standard butt stock with the high rear sight and open ear gas block. The cocking handles were non-folding.
So, it appears you have a close copy of the ARMSCORP Argentine import less the upper receiver which is most likely a post ban SAC Latta, SC import.

Last edited by DakTo; February 10, 2019 at 15:17.
DakTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 14:55   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Do you have a source for an Argy sight? Would a tall Izzy rear sight work? Decent ranges for 7.62 NATO are a few hours drive, so I'd like to bring a tall rear sight to swap out during zeroing.
Check Aezcur. He might can find you one. The one you want has a line across the sides of the aperture.

Old February 10, 2019, 15:05   #8
jam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 68968
A standard rear sight base can't be used on a para because of the knuckle correct?
Find a Argie short gas block and sight parts, swap the gas blocks out and be done with it.
That's my .02
jam762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 15:16   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam762 View Post
A standard rear sight base can't be used on a para because of the knuckle correct?
Find a Argie short gas block and sight parts, swap the gas blocks out and be done with it.
That's my .02
Yep you're right. I was wondering that too. Pulled one out of the safe and yep, you can't put a regular sight on it.

Old February 10, 2019, 15:28   #10
Kaltesherz
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
Interesting rifle.

Looking at the ARMSCORP 1989 catalog it appears their Argentine import did have a 2 position rear sight on the open ear 50.63 folding stock model FAL so that may be correct. It also had a bipod barrel unlike the military model which had a non-bipod barrel. The Argentine "Bush" model has the standard butt stock with the high rear sight and open ear gas block. The cocking handles were non-folding.
So, it appears you have a close copy of the ARMSCORP Argentine import less the upper receiver which is most likely a post ban SAC Latta, SC import.
Here's the vid that shows what appears to be Pre Ban Argy Para with open eared front sight- guys pretty annoying but it at least gives me hope. If if not I'll send it to ARS to swap out the front gas blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hE2eJ34Hew
Old February 10, 2019, 16:07   #11
TNAndy
Computer Geek
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64986
Quote:
Here's the vid that shows what appears to be Pre Ban Argy Para with open eared front sight- guys pretty annoying but it at least gives me hope. If if not I'll send it to ARS to swap out the front gas blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hE2eJ34Hew
[chortle] He said "clips". He's a "highly trained professional, too.
Old February 10, 2019, 16:22   #12
Olaf
Registered

FALaholic #: 63894
Wasn't someone on here selling a shorter version of a slider base that work with a Para stock ? ( apex?) Put your argue tall aperture on it and you could save some cash for the moment.

Found it it was gun things.
Description,ramp specially made to fit the paratrooper and utilize the standard sight aperture. This is not a standard ramp which was shortened, but actually a specialty ramp with different yardage settings. New

Last edited by Olaf; February 10, 2019 at 16:34.
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 16:51   #13
Kaltesherz
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
Wasn't someone on here selling a shorter version of a slider base that work with a Para stock ? ( apex?) Put your argue tall aperture on it and you could save some cash for the moment.

Found it it was gun things.
Description,ramp specially made to fit the paratrooper and utilize the standard sight aperture. This is not a standard ramp which was shortened, but actually a specialty ramp with different yardage settings. New
Link?
Old February 10, 2019, 16:57   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Kalt, you don't know what you have till you shoot it. If it shoots low then, yep you need to find a solution. If you bottom out the front and flip the aperature to 250 and it shoots fine, then I would leave it be.

Old February 10, 2019, 17:11   #15
Falcon
Curio & Relic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2049
Link:
http://www.gunthings.com/fal3.htm
Old February 10, 2019, 17:14   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Good memory. Sure opens up the OP's possibilities

Old February 10, 2019, 17:34   #17
Olaf
Registered

FALaholic #: 63894
Quote:
Thad be it
Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 18:05   #18
Kaltesherz
Registered

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help!
Old February 10, 2019, 21:46   #19
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Quote:
It looks like someone built it using a FMAP receiver and an Argy parts kit. I was hoping the Para parts were also Argy but it looks like they're not....
I'd say you did very well on your purchase of an "Argy on Argy" PARA.

The upper receiver, as someone said, is most likely from an Argentine rifle that was imported by SAC of Latta, SC after the 1992 assault weapon import ban. These rifles had to be broken down and sold as front & back halves to get around the stupid import restrictions. The receiver usually has a small "SAC - Latta, SC" stamp inside the mag well.

The Argentine PARA kit looks like one of the kits imported by Recon Ordnance and sold in a FALfiles group buy for $635 by member FWRA back in 2002. I have one exactly like it. As I recall, these were imported as kits from de-milled rifles of an Argentine Police agency.

The PARA lower is identified as Argentine by the proofmark just to the rear of the takedown lever (pic #7 in GB listing). The folding stock is Argy "mil-spec"; it has the release button on the bottom of the hinge mechanism, unlike DSA's PARA stock. The PARA bolt carrier is clearly identified as Argy by the proof mark shown in pic #10. Obviously the bolt matches it (there may be a corresponding proof on it somewhere). Your barrel is Argy based on the proofmark on barrel flat (pic #2). However, it is not the original barrel that came with these PARA kits. The original barrel was 21", bipod-cut with closed ear gas block. (Just an FYI: member Falfegnügen has/had Argy barrel #127008 that matches your Bolt/carrier )

Hopefully your upper receiver was correctly modified with the PARA cut to properly fit the nose of the original dust cover. That front sling swivel is interesting; it's not "standard" on these PARA kits -- an aftermarket mod I'm guessing??? Also, smack me if I'm wrong, but your barrel looks overtimed in pic #1

Last edited by TraFALgar; February 10, 2019 at 22:33.
TraFALgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 23:45   #20
Kaltesherz
Registered

Damn, that's an impressive amount of knowledge! I'm really impressed...

If that upper was imported complete, then the overtimed barrel (good eye) would have been done at the factory, so I'm assuming it's headspaced correctly.

I can take more detailed pics once I pick it up in a few days.

Open eared front sights use Izzy sight tools correct?
Old February 11, 2019, 00:21   #21
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Damn, that's an impressive amount of knowledge! I'm really impressed...

If that upper was imported complete, then the overtimed barrel (good eye) would have been done at the factory, so I'm assuming it's headspaced correctly.

I can take more detailed pics once I pick it up in a few days.

Open eared front sights use Izzy sight tools correct?
What TraFALgar is getting at with the barrel timing is, the sight alignment will be way off until the barrel is correctly timed.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 02:53   #22
FMFSL7.62DJK
Registered

FALaholic #: 80876
Nice Argy para kit , looks mostly Argy except for the grip which is a 922 compliance part, you can tell from the mold circles on the sides
also it should say made in USA inside the grip
I would also check under the handguards , they are they easiest Argy part to find
the stock looks legit , there should be an A or closed U in the hollowed out part of the buttpad , but I only have two examples for reference

I would have this rifle checked out by someone that knows FALs as the barrel looks cockeyed in the photos as others have pointed out

once you have this rifle squared away, it will become your favorite as has mine
FMFSL7.62DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 11:37   #23
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Exclamation Headspace

Quote:
Uhhh ... assume nothing (esp. regarding headspace)
The complete barreled front end as it left the factory may have been properly timed & headspaced. However this short barrel may have been installed in Bubba’s garage & it may not be correctly headspaced. You should have it checked before firing. After all, the seller said he “never fired it not one time”.
Old February 11, 2019, 13:41   #24
Kaltesherz
Registered

Will do, thanks again.
Old February 11, 2019, 20:16   #25
Walther Rathenau
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 68464
You have a barreled upper from a Sac Latta rifle that was split up like this:

It probably has the original barrel that's been chopped down. However, the paint looks a little different on the barrel and the receiver. The serial numbers were marked on the underside of the barrel, about half way between the gas block and muzzle.

All your parts currently have the original finish. I wouldn't refinish the rifle. Be sure to check your serial numbers with this chart, and report yours in the thread.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ok2db8dt3...01_05.pdf?dl=0
https://www.falfiles.com/forums/show...277160&page=41
Walther Rathenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 22:56   #26
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
The sight question first needs to be quantitatively measured as the distance from POI to POA at a known distance. After these results are established you can learn which of the 3 FAL sight line heights the front sight/gas block was made for. Most open ear gas blocks use the "high" sight line like late BGS, early Argentine, and Israeli rifles. Some open ear gas blocks work with an even higher sight line ie. the early BGS/inch design. There were even some open ear gas blocks for the low sight line generally seen with close ear gas blocks. The selection of rear sights that work with the folding stocks is largely limited to the low sight line. An exception would be the Canadian disc or snow sight or the short metric ramp that can accept the Izzy rear sight blade. If the gas block is the most common high or Izzy system, the Canadian may work because short barrel FALs shoot so low. The three sight lines relate to each other as follows;
1. The low or closed ear height requested by a knucklehead officer with the Bundeswehr.
2. The common open ear/Izzy hieght that is 3mm higher.
3. The early BGS, EX2, FAL Canada, and inch pattern, that's another 3mm higher.
Too bad the pinhead in the youtube video had no idea where the rounds hit. We may have learned something if he displayed a target.
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote