Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old November 14, 2017, 12:44   #1
karambay
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 8066
Bullet suggestions for 7mm Rem Mag?

Hey all, I've got a friend who is finally getting close to using up all of the 7mm Rem Mag ammo their dad loaded up and handed down with the rifle. I've been asked to refill the empties and gladly accepted.

The original recipe was for 175 grain PSP (I think those are corelokts)
I've got some 162 gr Hornady ELD-x

I'm looking for other bullet suggestions with the goal being elk hunting.

For what it's worth, shooters getting a little recoil sensitive and hunts at short ranges <200yards, and often <50, so I may try to reduce the load a little.
karambay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 12:52   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Cannot go wrong with Nosler partition or Barnes. You need a stout bullet for the 7 mag.

I personally only use 2, the 162 Amax under 63 grains of RL22 for long range shooting, or the 160 gr Winchester Failsafes for hunting. I bought enough Failsafes to last me a lifetime when Walmart was clearing them out a long time ago, and they shoot like match ammo.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 16:23   #3
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
I use 175 grain Hornadys SP. Knocks them Elks flat on their butts.
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 17:40   #4
karambay
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Grabbed some 160 and 175 partitions today. Gonna have to invest in a lead sled for the load development I think
Old November 14, 2017, 18:24   #5
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
I Have a Bunch of 7Mag Brass and a bunch of barns bullets -Im Open to Trading for 06-303-6.5 swede ? Or Offers..Pm Me if you like !
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 22:26   #6
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Cannot go wrong with Nosler partition or Barnes. You need a stout bullet for the 7 mag.
This is good advice ^^^^

I use Barnes bullets in my 338 for elk. The only other bullet I would recommend is Trophy bonded beer claw (especially if you can find the originals). I work with a guy who took a moose about 5 years ago with a 7mm mag with a 175 gr Barnes TSX bullet. He said it when straight down with one shot.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 23:07   #7
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Quote:
Originally Posted by karambay View Post
Grabbed some 160 and 175 partitions today. Gonna have to invest in a lead sled for the load development I think
Good choice.
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 00:39   #8
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
https://americanreloading.com/en/138-7mm-284

Here's a selection of affordable soft points probably corelockts.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017, 18:24   #9
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I am a 7mm whore. Have 7mm-08, factory and custom 7mm Rem Mags, 7mm Practicals, a 7mm RUM and some others. It's my favorite long range kill medium to large things caliber. Swift A Frame is one of the most proven projectiles out there. Any modern bonded bullet will do the job you need but have been liking the Barnes LRX Long Range Hunting projectiles along with TTSX and other copper solids. If they have a match chamber/build look at the Berger LD hunting bullets. Can split hairs but pick a reputible bullet from anyone, pour it full of powder and if shoots under MOA it's ready to go.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2017, 15:42   #10
karambay
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I am a 7mm whore... Can split hairs but pick a reputible bullet from anyone, pour it full of powder and if shoots under MOA it's ready to go.
Huey, you might be a whore for just about anything firearms or ammo related, but the last part of that sure rings true...

Working on brass prep, just need to choose a powder option, but it looks like I should have that covered.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted of the results.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:52   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Went to reloading room and pulled my 7mm folder. One of the most consistent powders from rifle to rifle is H4831sc. The short kernal shoots better than the standard and assume it's due to less shearing of kernels in the powder measure. If weigh charges still shoots a bit better according to notes so shearing may not be a huge issue. May just burn more consistent due to smaller kernals. Won't post my load data but will say every rifle's best groups with H4831sc is at top or above posted maximum load data. If see no pressure signs will push belted magnums and find 7mm Mag seems to have its best node with H4831sc at scary numbers if go by the book but have all my fingers and both eyes still.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03   #12
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
yanno, if the shooter is recoil sensitive the 7mm mag is not a good match.
probably can't hit jack - 7mm-08 probably better. 300 savage a good choice too. have them shoot at a paper plate at 100 yds from standing - ifn they can't put all rounds on the plate then time to reduce recoil.
0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:20   #13
karambay
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

I agree with that last statement. It's the sentimental part about shooting "dad's rifle". I'll work on it, and in the mean time get to load up some 7mm.

Thanks Randy762ak! For the offer on some brass and tips.