The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old November 09, 2017, 15:52   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Any love for Gen 2s?

I just realized that half of my Glock "collection" are old Generation 2 models. This after picking up a Gen 2 G19 last week. This one was added to a Gen 2 G20, Gen 2 G23, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G34, and a Gen 4 G41 MOS. Dang, just how did I end up with six Glocks? At any rate I do like the old slick (no finger bump) grip on the Gen 2 models. I see Glock figured this out as well and went back to it on the Gen 5. Seems "perfection" is a moving target at Glock.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 16:30   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I never liked Glocks much, but I have 6 as well.

But I do not like the Gen 1 or 2 models, except for my G20 I bought in 1996.

The first Glock I ever shot was a Gen 1 G17 around 1992 or so, and neither me or my friend who owned it could hit a paper plate at 7 yards consistently. Not my shooting, that gun was seriously messed up. Maybe he put it together wrong, don't know. He ended up selling or trading it off.

First one I bought was the G20, as I just had to have a 10mm. This was a totally different animal than the G17 I shot, I would not say it is quite as accurate as my Sig 229 in 357 Sig, but it comes close. It shoots better than the G20SF I bought a couple of years ago.

Also own a G26 Gen 2.5/G19 Gen 3/G33 Gen 3/G22 Gen 4. Had a G23 Gen 2 which I sold to the guy that had the G17, he still has it.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 17:44   #3
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Gen 2 G20 also, but with the 6" glock targer barrel. Sticks out of the slide but I like the longer barrel. Also have a gen 4 19, 22 and 41. The grip I like the best is the lone wolf timberwolf frame on their version of the 17.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 19:01   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
I carry a Gen 2 Glock 17...

Guess I must like it...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2017, 19:30   #5
Tactical Baron
Registered

FALaholic #: 79895
Nothing wrong with the Gen 2's, I personally never cared for that cut out in the frame for stripping out a mag, and the finger grooves line up nicely for my hands; but to each their own.
Tactical Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 13:50   #6
gaijinsamurai
Registered

FALaholic #: 24362
I carried a Gen 2 as a duty pistol way back in the day. Grew fond of it, and wish I still had it.
gaijinsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 13:54   #7
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I have a 23 that was a gift from a very close friend. CFG-prefix (1997 mfg) so late Gen 2 mfg, carried it for years and it shows. . It has been retired and it sitting in one of my safes.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 15:30   #8
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
I think I am one of the few people who dont mind the finger groves and who they work for

Gen 2 guns are cool ..But frankly I like the look of the gen 1 for some reason
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017, 18:06   #9
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
I perfer 3rd Gen glocks.
...only thing with finger groves I like.

That said:
I'll pick up a cheap Gen 2 when I see it.
Old November 11, 2017, 01:06   #10
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I still have my Gen 2 G20, first Glock I bought and it’s not for sale. I have owned some where around 10 Glocks. Won’t own a Gen 4 but do like the Gen 3.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017, 21:29   #11
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I have two G17s...a gen 2 and a gen 3. Not my favorite shootin irons but there is a beauty in the guns simple lines, seeming longevity and utter reliability. I cant ever remeber having a Glock experience a stoppage in thousands of rounds I've fired through them. I like having a couple that were actually made in Austria that still have the tennifer finish as opposed to the rocky quality start the US made guns had. The CZ 75 and its derivatives are a more refined, appealing pistol IMHO. I have a 75B and recently handled a 97B, coming away impressed that it gets 10 shots of .45 ACP in a grip that feels the same width as a 1911. Its next on my list.

I carry the Gen 2 constantly. Mostly open carry on my farm when I am out there working, hunting, or shooting. With three magazines I have an entire box of ammo on me. The frame has some knit lines around the take down bar slot from the molding process that make me wonder how long before a crack develops from the slide pounding it. My gen 3 doesnt have these. I like the clean look of the gen 2 without the finger groves and ugly ass picatinny rail on the dust cover that the 3rd gen has.

At the last gun show there was a extremely well used Gen 1 G17 for sale for $375. The slide was only about 50% finish left and the frame had lost a lot of its finer texture and was mostly glossy. Over on the glock forum there was some claim that a lot of big city police department and academy armorers used to dip the entire lower of the gun in a solvent bath to clean them en masse which gave this result. Wonder what stories that gun could have told.

Both my guns have the characteristic "pig nose" where the dust cover curves up and kisses the underside of the front of the slide. I only recently found out that this was simply an unintentional molding warpage thats considered acceptable by the manufacturer. I always thought it was a design feature to put a little upward pressure on the slide just as it closed (IE an accuracy aid). Maybe an unintentional benefit as the slides have much less play in them when closed than most other service pistols (except the CZ and high end 1911s).

On a side note, I really like the way most European pistol makers number the barrels and slides to the frame. This really appeals to me aesthetically for some reason.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; November 14, 2017 at 21:52.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote