The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2019, 00:09   #1
MACV
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1167
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: St Louis County
Posts: 3,272
L1A1 hand guards.

There seem to be two different types of wood hand guards. One has a metal tab or brace on the end at the screw hole, the other is just wood. Is this a Brit vs Aussie thing? It seems like I've seen both configurations sold as Aussie in the Market Place.
I gots to know
__________________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." The Duke

Last edited by MACV; March 19, 2019 at 00:14.
MACV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 00:28   #2
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 19,032
Brits and Aussi's both used hand guards with metal end pieces.

The wood guards one see;s around from time to time, without metal end pieces, are all new made guards.

The metal ends were stamped, no way to make new ones, so folks making new guards, just made the wood thicker up front.

Flypaper makes new guards, but he salvaged the metal front ends from surplus guards.

His, new made ones, are beautiful and near exact duplicates of the originals.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 00:57   #3
MACV
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1167
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: St Louis County
Posts: 3,272
Thanks. I bought a aftermarket wood set in the market place a few months ago. Beautiful wood. I put it on E-prise PNG build. I wanted it to look as mil spec as possible. But I'll live with the aftermarket wood.
__________________
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." The Duke
MACV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 03:03   #4
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Thanks. I bought a aftermarket wood set in the market place a few months ago. Beautiful wood. I put it on E-prise PNG build. I wanted it to look as mil spec as possible. But I'll live with the aftermarket wood.
I've seen some across my bench, to match color and shade with surplus butts and pg's, and they are all nice, the ones I've held in hand.

I have a couple dozen sets without metal, long story, and plan to rebuild them, with wood like your aftermarket set, adding that small piece of metal shown on the top of surplus ones for effect.

Hand guards are getting really hard to locate.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 06:01   #5
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor
 
DakTo's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 9689
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indian River, Florida
Posts: 8,359
British, Australian and Canadian (early C1 and later C1A1) all employed hand guards with the metal furrule.
The inch handguards without the metal furrules were aftermarket. Some were from Europe sold by DSA and Ironwood & Silver Crescent both made them here in the US. Silver Crescent at the end did make some handguards with the metal furrules however the wood was not cut properly and the metal furrule was positioned too low and close to the retaining screw bushing.
__________________
NEVER touch another man's fries.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2019, 15:00   #6
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor
 
Airforce1's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73010
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
British, Australian and Canadian (early C1 and later C1A1) all employed hand guards with the metal furrule.
The inch handguards without the metal furrules were aftermarket. Some were from Europe sold by DSA and Ironwood & Silver Crescent both made them here in the US. Silver Crescent at the end did make some handguards with the metal furrules however the wood was not cut properly and the metal furrule was positioned too low and close to the retaining screw bushing.


Hello,

Please see some pictures of the C1A1 hand guards (left and right).















Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4180 - Copy.JPG (203.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4172 - Copy.JPG (225.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4173 - Copy.JPG (216.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4174 - Copy.JPG (87.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4175 - Copy.JPG (139.7 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4179 - Copy.JPG (96.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4176 - Copy.JPG (155.1 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4177 - Copy.JPG (145.8 KB, 264 views)
__________________
Captain Airforce1
Airforce1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2019, 16:12   #7
y18376
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76824
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central N.I NZ
Posts: 299
Interesting. So similar to the early L1A1 HG's apart from the single small vent hole either side. The pattern of the metal ferrules demonstrates the commonality developed by the RSC.
Saw a batch of L1A1's being refurbished in a production line of the Kitchener Diemaco facility in the late 80's .
Were the biscuit reinforcements at the front a repair or an aspect of OEM production ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforce1 View Post


Hello,

Please see some pictures of the C1A1 hand guards (left and right).















y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2019, 16:19   #8
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
 
Andy the Aussie's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 216
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Down Under
Posts: 16,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
Thanks. I bought a aftermarket wood set in the market place a few months ago. Beautiful wood. I put it on E-prise PNG build. I wanted it to look as mil spec as possible. But I'll live with the aftermarket wood.
.....a "correct" L1A1F1 build would use the later laminated guards...just to confuse everything
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by GOVT1911
You could do some searching and find a nice TLC and do the same thing, still saving a bunch of $$ and end up with a nice, comfortable CAPABLE rig...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2019, 08:20   #9
enbloc8
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 51665
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post
Interesting. So similar to the early L1A1 HG's apart from the single small vent hole either side. The pattern of the metal ferrules demonstrates the commonality developed by the RSC.
Saw a batch of L1A1's being refurbished in a production line of the Kitchener Diemaco facility in the late 80's .
Were the biscuit reinforcements at the front a repair or an aspect of OEM production ?
That was OEM. There was a similar reinforcement added to the buttstocks during production, at the TMH end.
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2019, 21:15   #10
kysjck
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 31833
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tucson ,Az
Posts: 733
Andy's correct. The solid wood hand guard manufacturing went away in 1968 and Lithgow sent out the first PNG rifles in 1971.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019, 16:18   #11
y18376
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76824
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central N.I NZ
Posts: 299
1968 ?. Are you sure about that ? Have you seen solid wood HG with SLAZ 68 on them ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
Andy's correct. The solid wood hand guard manufacturing went away in 1968 and Lithgow sent out the first PNG rifles in 1971.
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019, 00:11   #12
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor
 
Andy the Aussie's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 216
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Down Under
Posts: 16,171
68 was the LAST year of production/fitting of the old style AND the first year the laminates were fitted, that started @1/2 through that year's production...so you would have 68 of both.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by GOVT1911
You could do some searching and find a nice TLC and do the same thing, still saving a bunch of $$ and end up with a nice, comfortable CAPABLE rig...
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019, 08:49   #13
enbloc8
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 51665
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,998
Have to say, I've never seen a solid HG dated 1968...at one point I was running across a lot of MA67s, which made me wonder if the wood shop had made an extra-large batch of solid HGs that year to cover rifle production during the change-over process.
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2019, 11:52   #14
kysjck
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 31833
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tucson ,Az
Posts: 733
Once again we see a problem with reading comprehension. I never said the change occurred Jan. 1 1968. The first rifle with laminated HGs was AD6804834. Why try to find fault with a post when you know nothing? See page, 27 of S.L.R.by Skennerton.
kysjck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019, 19:51   #15
y18376
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76824
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central N.I NZ
Posts: 299
Skennerton is held up as the final word on detail but it doesn't mean the book details are always correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
Once again we see a problem with reading comprehension. I never said the change occurred Jan. 1 1968. The first rifle with laminated HGs was AD6804834. Why try to find fault with a post when you know nothing? See page, 27 of S.L.R.by Skennerton.
y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 01, 2019, 15:49   #16
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor
 
Airforce1's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73010
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 145
Hello,

Please see pictures of the Canadian C1A1 handguards first pattern with two oval holes and also the Aussie L1A1 handguards first pattern with two oval holes. It is noted that Aussie handguards both side have been repaired and there is no marking on both half. There is no marking on the Canadian handguards first and second pattern (no two oval holes).

Aussie L1A1 handguards:











Canadian C1A1 handguards:







L1A1 (top) and C1A1 (bottom) on each pictures:



Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4182 - Copy.JPG (207.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4183 - Copy - Copy.JPG (214.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4184 - Copy.JPG (87.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4186 - Copy.JPG (157.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4187 - Copy.JPG (123.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4188 - Copy.JPG (206.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4189 - Copy.JPG (217.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4190 - Copy.JPG (79.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4192 - Copy.JPG (202.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4193 - Copy.JPG (210.0 KB, 92 views)
__________________
Captain Airforce1
Airforce1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 02, 2019, 16:40   #17
y18376
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 76824
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central N.I NZ
Posts: 299
Without markings and not knowing the correct wood type, they interchangeable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforce1 View Post
Hello,

Please see pictures of the Canadian C1A1 handguards first pattern with two oval holes and also the Aussie L1A1 handguards first pattern with two oval holes. It is noted that Aussie handguards both side have been repaired and there is no marking on both half. There is no marking on the Canadian handguards first and second pattern (no two oval holes).

Aussie L1A1 handguards:











Canadian C1A1 handguards:







L1A1 (top) and C1A1 (bottom) on each pictures:



y18376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2019, 16:48   #18
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor
 
Airforce1's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73010
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by y18376 View Post
Without markings and not knowing the correct wood type, they interchangeable.
Yes there are interchangeable between Canadian C1A1, British L1A1 and Aussie L1A1.
__________________
Captain Airforce1
Airforce1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files