Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old July 01, 2018, 08:26   #1
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Vintage Farming

Quote:
Ebeling bought the Super W6 for $4500 when he was 10 with money earned selling cattle as a member of the Nebraska Multi 4-H Club.

“You don’t need big equipment to go farming, and you’re putting in the same thing as everyone else,” his father told him.

Ebeling said his interest in farming with vintage equipment began while participating in a Canadian Foodgrains Bank growing project harvest near Ponoka, Alta., in 2015.
https://www.producer.com/2018/06/tee...ch-to-farming/

See also http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347609
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 08:44   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Never could figure out why the farmers had to spend thousands for the latest when their equipment still worked. Only the mega farms need that big stuff.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 09:02   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Once Dad got established he modernized his equipment and bought mostly all new stuff. Along as he could of course, not all at one time. And then he kept it a long time and maintained it all very well. Dad (and us boys) really, really hated working with junk that broke down at the worst time*. We still had some really old, but really reliable, stuff like my favorite Farmall H that would ALWAYS (always I say) start, even in sub-zero temps. The cattle that wanted fed were pretty happy about that, as was I.

*Nothing says fun like laying in stubble under a combine turning wrenches.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 17:21   #4
Zimm
Registered

FALaholic #: 76302
I remember 6row combines.that means the longer it takes to get your field done ,the less money you make .time is money for farmers too.and gas ,and repair .how many of us drive pre 1940 autos? I don't want to drive far on a car that might break down and if it did would be expensive to fix ,even if I could do it myself
Zimm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 01, 2018, 23:35   #5
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
I run a 1950s ford tractor, a similar era JD bailer, and more. It works for me. But the key reason is I don't rely on them to make a living. Just works the property and supports the animals. If it is down, I fix it when I have time.

If I relied on it for a living, I would own much newer, more reliable equipment. Spending all day on my old tractor isn't all that fun. Day after day, no way.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2018, 14:00   #6
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
If I relied on it for a living, I would own much newer, more reliable equipment. Spending all day on my old tractor isn't all that fun. Day after day, no way.
When going economically nose-to-nose with the Industrial Farms (the same ones written about here that squeeze out the traditional family farms, often found in the context of "No Hunting Here" signs), you've got a valid point.

The reason I posted this article was purely as food for thought, if food supplies are ever used as a weapon that would require putting every square foot of usable ground under the plow (George Soros, I'm looking at you).

Think of it as Agricultural Asymetric Warfare and you, Clodhopper, with your previous experience, would be a guerilla leader with a bag of seeds.

See also http://holodomorct.org
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 02, 2018, 14:16   #7
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
When going economically nose-to-nose with the Industrial Farms (the same ones written about here that squeeze out the traditional family farms, often found in the context of "No Hunting Here" signs), you've got a valid point.

The reason I posted this article was purely as food for thought, if food supplies are ever used as a weapon that would require putting every square foot of usable ground under the plow (George Soros, I'm looking at you).

Think of it as Agricultural Asymetric Warfare and you, Clodhopper, with your previous experience, would be a guerilla leader with a bag of seeds.

See also http://holodomorct.org
Nah. My only goal is to feed me and mine. I don't have enough water to put every square foot to the plow. Experience only goes so far when you don't have the resources to put in play.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2018, 08:53   #8
richbug
Registered

FALaholic #: 10484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
I remember 6row combines.that means the longer it takes to get your field done
6 row machines are still the norm in some parts of the country. I run 4 row heads on 6 row machines. Narrow roads/blind curves/crazy drivers, narrow gates, small fields. All about economy of scale. Some areas bigger isn't better. My combines are rated for 24' grain heads, I run 13/15'

Advances since the 1970 and 80s machines in many cases have been steps backwards. In some instances good 1980s vintage tractors will sell for as much as they did when new.
richbug is online now   Reply With Quote