Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old March 03, 2018, 14:05   #1
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
LED lanterns, recommendations ?

Lost power for about nine hours last night, which gave me a chance to test some of the preps. I have a pair of inexpensive handcrank/solar rechargable LED lanterns and discovered a0 that they don't have a very long run time and b) light output drops off quickly and c) forget about hand crank recharging,. Even at the lowest setting, a counted 2000 cranks only got me a maybe another 8 - 9 minutes of very mediocre light.

This wasn't a surprise - they were pretty cheap ( chinese, no doubt ) and were more of an experiment. To the point, has anyone had any experience with LED lanterns and if so, what recommendation can you make ?

Also rediscovered what I already knew - flat wick oil lamps are pretty sucky ( and stinky ). An old trawler type lamp, which uses a round wick and a flame spreader, was MUCH better. Didn't get to try one of the Aladdins, guess I ought to try them before I'm actually behind the eight ball

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 03, 2018 at 14:11.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 03, 2018, 17:33   #2
DJ
Registered

FALaholic #: 126
I bought an Ozark Trail at Walmart last summer for a camping trip. Didn't know what to get, got this one because it was a last minute "grab it and git." It uses 4 D cells, makes good light.
On the camping trip it was ok for in the tent or a table top for sitting around BSing. It didn't make enough light to set up a tent with.
My wife and I used it for a couple short power outages over the winter. For the price, it seems like a decent light. It probably won't stand up to hard use, but for in a room or a tent it seems decent.
Old March 03, 2018, 18:30   #3
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
No specific recommendation on a light, but suggest whatever you get that it uses AA batteries. All my stuff is stuffed with rechargeable AAs just to standardize.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2018, 10:32   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
No specific recommendation on a light, but suggest whatever you get that it uses AA batteries. All my stuff is stuffed with rechargeable AAs just to standardize.
^This^

If not a freak about rechargable batteries and keeping them rotated and sharp then suggest pop the $10 to buy a four pack of lithium AA's. They will store a decade and not corrode and likely still be charged if not used a lot they are also about half the weight of alkalines if matters. More batteries the lantern holds longer it will run.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 04, 2018, 10:54   #5
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Good suggestion about the batteries - I already have a shit ton of rechargeables so that would make sense

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Old March 04, 2018, 19:49   #6
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Go ahead and laugh, but a got a few of those Bell & Howell "tactical lanterns" and so far they have held up. The magnet allows them to hang from the roof of the box trailer. I haven't driven any tanks over them, but they work fine and use AA batteries.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 02:37   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Not laughing as been at least a dozen mornings at 4:00 am when have already been up so long the Bible study and prayer time is over and check the morning news. As the commerials hawk their indoor grilling, deep frying without oil, ninja juice extractor, etc see the Bell & Howell lantern being chipped out of ice (they don't drop it in boiling oil lIke the flashlight, dropping and running over with a Humvee have been close to popping on a couple to try.

Went to bed at 11:45, it's now 2:02 am and wide awake laying silly with BiPap ASV running hoping for another nap but believe am totally done with sleep at just past the two hour mark. This morning may be the day I order them to try. Have picked up a few from Wallyworld and have worked well so far, brands such as Coleman Personal 190 lumen at $16 and their Divide+ at $20 plus an Ozark Trail and some neon green monster, trying to find best units to use when work outside after dark plus discrete units that just light area needed.

Went to Wallyworld online site as use more than store now, though not purchased lanterns, but free shipping and no sales tax on out of state purchases saves me money and hassle of going in the place unless need a quick bulk pack of handgun ammo to make once fired brass from. Just cruised over and they have the Bell & Howell direct from Wallyworld in four models from $14 to $26 so going to read the specs and order the two most promising varients to test then may throw down on some. The Tac light entry model at $15 and the Tac Light 1445 at $26 with name brand LED chips and more functions. Once find units like the best will stack a few up as wife and I like to keep load on generator low as possible for reserve when high amp device with major start up watts kick in.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old March 05, 2018, 06:48   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
FWIW,,Rural King has some super cheap LED camping lanterns,,,like $3.99 cheap.
Their green, about 8" tall, no name and come with 4 C-cell batteries already installed.
Operate at hi, low or flashing, plus have a tiny red slow blinking led on the front when off (But only after you remove plastic disc on one battery and I assume so you can find it in the dark)
Anyway,,,I bought a pair for the boat summer before last and they've worked so much better than I ever expected, especially for 3.99 ,,,, I had to get 4 more just to have.....
Cheers, yv

Edit,,I take that back, they do have a name on them,,,Country Trails.

Last edited by yovinny; March 05, 2018 at 07:02.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 08:19   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I have about 6 streamlights. They replaced my energizer florescent tube lanterns. D cells. While I agree in principle with standardized batteries, there is something to be said for runtime.

Mine are the 500 Lumen @ $30. I have not used the 1000 lumen model. @ $100

Old March 05, 2018, 08:43   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Streamlight looks nice, 600 lumens should make a lot of light. Did a lot of digging last night and ordered two of the Bell & Howell 1475's from Amazon at 19.50 each with free shipping.

Only complaints could find by reviewers is no lumen figure given. Otherwise all gave it good reviews. Found where maker gave 300 lumen output on base model and say this model is twice as bright. If their twice as bright math is same as mine then should be near 600 but will see but at $20 each figured worth the gamble. Reviewers did recommend not leaving submerged for "long" periods of time.
Old March 05, 2018, 08:50   #11
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Thanks for all the input, guys !

Old March 05, 2018, 10:24   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Yeah, this has been a very interesting thread. I have two Coleman white gas lanterns (twin mantles) and neither are working at the moment. I've seen a few YouTube vids on rebuilding them, and Coleman offers that service as well. Has anyone ever rebuilt one of those?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.

Last edited by Texgunner; March 05, 2018 at 11:44.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 10:32   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
from a survival and preparedness standpoint, while the coleman white gas lanterns are certainly bright, I think the maintenance and special fuel requirements for them are not worth it, compared to the old-school kerosene oil lamps. I was fortunate to buy 8 new East German civil defense lanterns as surplus for $50 (20 years ago). While they burn dirty, and not as bright, they burn most any oil.

stock photo

Old March 05, 2018, 12:47   #14
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Yeah, this has been a very interesting thread. I have two Coleman white gas lanterns (twin mantles) and neither are working at the moment. I've seen a few YouTube vids on rebuilding them, and Coleman offers that service as well. Has anyone ever rebuilt one of those?
I have a brass pressure mantle lamp ( not Coleman ) that is amazing, BUT the thing always reminds me of a bomb waitig to go off and spew napalm all over the place . I had one spring a tiny leak in one of the pump seals and while nothing evil happened, it was a bit , shall we say, attention-getting.

Recently got a couple of Aladdin non pressure mantle oil lamps. Pretty easy to rebuild provided you use the right parts ( there are quite a few variations, a lot of parts are not interchangeable ) but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I figure they are safer than a pressure lamp, but I know they require really good kero or lamp oil, and like the pressure lamps, they burn hot as the devil, so care is paramount. I did test a "trawler" oil lamp from my boating days, utilizes a round wick and a flame spreader ( the spreader makes a huge difference ) which was a very good compromise.

Like Mark, I have a couple of kero railroad type lanterns, whey are certainly easy to use but aren't very efficient and, as noted, burn very dirty even with good fuel.

Just ordered a couple of the LED lamps that Huey mentioned, as well as a solar charger. Will report back !

Old March 05, 2018, 13:12   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I have the Coleman white gas lantern that blew up in my fathers hand showering him with burning and yet to burn fuel. Were over two hours from closest hospital and four to closest with burn unit. 40% of his body had even mix of second and third degree burns. I use a lot of white gas stoves mountaineering but know people who have been hurt bad a long way from help and know of two (not personally but know friends of theirs) who died due to exploding white gas stoves. White gas devices have to build a lot of pressure before operate correctly. Like carbide headlamps are things we keep because we have but use better and safer technology. Buy a pair of rebuild kits and a couple dozen mantles just in case. If world has gone totally to sh!te and only way to make light is the old lanterns then fix them then, if do so now and test run seals will be dried and cracked by time need.

I have almost every propane Coleman stove, grill, lantern, space heaters and doubles or more in all. Buy the hose kits that allow hooking to full size propane bottle and can run a half dozen devices at same time off a big bottle and propane stores forever. In addition to my 1,000 and 500 gallon buried tanks have a couple 100 pound cylinders and a few standard cylinders. I would set myself up with a full propane kit for long term but use use batteries and LED's for light. LED and battery technology has advanced so much it just makes sense for most circumstances. Use rechargeable batteries and add some solar chargers your a long term survivalist. That said keep all your old stuff, rebuild kits and extra parts, the triple technology approach is almost fail proof. If have carbide lights stock up on lots of consumables as carbide is handy to have if don't blow yourself up.
Old March 05, 2018, 13:18   #16
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
This.

And I also rigged up a small trail camera solar panel and a 4cell battery holder so I can keep the rechargables going for prolonged use.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 14:16   #17
hawk962
Registered

FALaholic #: 9621
MPOWERD Luci solar lights. They are inflatable led solar lanterns. I carry one backpacking and they will run for hours after a charge. I bought my first one from a REI store. They are available online too. $15.00 -20.00 depending on the model you buy.
hawk962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 05, 2018, 14:22   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
This.
And I also rigged up a small trail camera solar panel and a 4cell battery holder so I can keep the rechargables going for prolonged use.
Many of the smaller solar recharges are slow as molasses in North Dakota winter. Buy biggest panel can afford, many roll up for easy storage. I have some really old solar chargers purchased in 1980's when was cutting edge technology with no circuit to keep them from discharging cells if left out after got dark. Would leave out as left camp in morning and if didn't get back from summit before dark they would discharge the batteries thus no music for the Walkman. Having a good smart charger like a Maha/Powerex that does break in cycle on new batteries, refresh on batteries losing reserve capacity, do discharge/recharge cycles and standard charging.
Old March 05, 2018, 14:24   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
In the spirit of the thread:

A guy took a skydiving class. The classroom instruction included using the ripcord, of course. They were told that if the main chute failed, wait 10 seconds and then pull the emergency cord. A class member asked what they should do if that cord also failed? Don't worry was the reply, that just won't happen.

Finally, they were ready for their first jump. Our guy stood in the door and jumped away. At the proper time, he pulled the ripcord. Nothing. He continued his earthward plummet. Not panicking, he counted to 10 and pulled the emergency cord. It came off in his hand. The ground was getting closer and closer.

Then, he saw a man, rapidly coming UP his way. As the distance between them narrowed, he yelled down, "Hey buddy, do you know anything about parachutes?"
Up came the shouted reply, "No, do you know anything about Coleman stoves?"

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2018, 12:23   #20
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Streamlight looks nice, 600 lumens should make a lot of light. Did a lot of digging last night and ordered two of the Bell & Howell 1475's from Amazon at 19.50 each with free shipping.

Only complaints could find by reviewers is no lumen figure given. Otherwise all gave it good reviews. Found where maker gave 300 lumen output on base model and say this model is twice as bright. If their twice as bright math is same as mine then should be near 600 but will see but at $20 each figured worth the gamble. Reviewers did recommend not leaving submerged for "long" periods of time.
I bought four of those last year, for a lot less than $20 each. I think all four were something like $25. They even came with batteries. I used them last Friday when the power went out. They work great. I highly recommend them. Shop around.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2018, 15:03   #21
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
I bought four of those last year, for a lot less than $20 each. I think all four were something like $25. They even came with batteries. I used them last Friday when the power went out. They work great. I highly recommend them. Shop around.
After reading Huey's reponse, I looked on Amazon, aw what appears to be the identical lantern, under a generic name. As noted, box of 4 with batteries, also under $20. They came today, will test over the next day or so.

I don't know how reliable or longlived they will be for less than $5 a pop, and I don't think I'd want to trust my life to one, but I don't see how I can go wrong with them.

Old March 08, 2018, 10:01   #22
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
The base models were $11 each, I bought the upgraded model that outputs double the lumens of one's advertised on television. In fact they are not even same color and styled differently as arrived this morning. Are blue and very bright.
Old March 08, 2018, 10:54   #23
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
The base models were $11 each, I bought the upgraded model that outputs double the lumens of one's advertised on television. In fact they are not even same color and styled differently as arrived this morning. Are blue and very bright.
Let us know how they work. I'll review mine in the next couple of days.

Old March 08, 2018, 13:40   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

These are one of the two models that arrived. Have a total of 70 name brand LED's and can remove two sections to use as flashlights or direct lighting. If put lantern in middle of dark room is bright, if have areas of room need more light due to shadowing or distance can pull one or both the removable sections from them and position to illuminate exactly where need more light. Bell & Howell Super Torch 70-LED Lantern. Come in different colors and wanted the green, black or grey but the blue were on sale $3 less per unit than the colors I preferred.

The standard units "as seen on t.v." have a total of 30 LED's and so more than double the LED's and being the same chip set then more than double the light. Can burn all, just two built into lantern, two in lantern and one of the removables, just the removeables or just one removable. That's a lot of different combos.

When ordered the sale ad pictured a unit that looked more like the t.v. models but blue though when opened boxes to find these was able to find correct information. When buying super specials for Amazon Prime members that are one day only or clearance of a particular color, model etc have had items that picture in ad was wrong more than once. Imagine trying to keep all the pictures on Amazon correct with 1,000 items per second changing prices or being added.

The other model purchased at $19 "each" turned out to be the standard t.v. TacLight Deluxe but two per pack making the $8.50 each and are a graphite grey color. Just set them up in my ham shack at work and the 70 LED models will smoke your corneas. Already have the light meter pulled from the meter chest and when get time over the weekend going to test a variety of lights and lanterns including propane and maybe carbide.

Having so much test equipment is great but sometimes overwhelms me if want to do something simple as feel need to use the proper tool or meter to test since have spent so much money on all this crap. That meter came from this cabinet which holds nothing but odds and ends test equipment.

There are more drawers of the stuff in that one and the cabinet below is nothing but HVAC and indoor air quality test equipment.

And we always have the work ham shack with its own test equipment for electrical, R.F., oscilloscopes, function generators, and some stuff I can only use if have someone on other end of a phone call or radio contact telling me where to turn the knob, what buttons to push them tell them my reading and they tell me what it all means.

Even worse are the chests of torque wrenches, measuring devices for all the machine shop equipment and redundant spares of most of this at home since have an even better shack at home and all my SHTF repair and test equipment in Faraday boxes in the Faraday caged room of the basement. Have enough LED's (part of my business is LED message centers like see in front of shopping centers, churches and schools these days) to build signs that cover the front of an entire strip mall to little units for repairing lights in radio equipment and more. Have enough resistors, capacitors, bread boards, project enclosures, test equipment and other parts in Faraday protected storage to probably repair every major electrical system we own. Not only do I have all the schematics for our HVAC, refrigerator, generators, radios and een televisions and such on protected electronic storage media have hard copy paper prints put back. If the halo ground and Faraday caged generator room doesn't protect every circuit in our generators post EMP I plan to be able to figure out what is fried and have the parts to fix it.

And to back all the LED lights up, the propane lanterns and candles have enough old fashioned oil lamps to place on or two in every room of the house. Have quart and gallon containers of lamp oil and several hundred wicks inside and in shed have two five gallon buckets of lamp oil. If my solar panels fry have the parts to fix them stored back and even have solar battery chargers and rechargeable batteries plus flashlights in Faraday boxes. We will make light when its dark, electricity when the grid is down and except for Uncle Sugar may be one of the last people on the planet to run out of ammunition. Actually from what I see average field grunt do on t.v. clips their round management skills are kind of poor so I may have ammo when Uncle Sugar runs out.

Watch a lot of the shows about Afghanistan and now historical shows about Iraq and watching guys hunkered behind a wall and sticking their M4 over the wall one handed and letting un-aimed mag dumps fly just because one or two sniper rounds came into their post worries me. Sometimes have seen our guys fire thousands of rounds over the walls just because one round came in their forward base. Watched one show where guys were launching those shoulder fired wire guided missiles randomly at a hillside because they thought the ISIS sniper was in that area. He fired one round and we sent a half million dollars in missiles randomly into a group of rocks then the patrol that went out to check out the hill found boot tracks from two men and two spent shell casings. ISIS fighters slipped up behind a rock, fired a round, waited five minutes fired a second then left. Between mag dumps, belt fed machine-gun fire, missiles, attack helicopters and close air support fighters called in Uncle Sugar spent a few million dollars over two random shots fired that didn't even hit anything or anyone. I am conserving my batteries and lights as just as important as medicine and ammo. Redundant back ups as well going all the way back to candles if need be.
Old March 08, 2018, 21:14   #25
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00ABUSW...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 21:53   #26
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Just got some of these to try, and gave them a brief, unscientific test.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First of all, they are obviously nowhere near as versatile as Hueys recommendations. I also think the ones Swofal referenced are certainly higher grade. However, these ae, IMHO a great deal for the money, provided their limitations are taken into account. At less than $16 for 4 including batteries, they are certainly inexpensive enough.

I loaded one up with three fully charged AS ( they come with regular alkalines ). There is only one brightness setting, and it is quite bright, fully adequate to read by or to use as a work light provided the area is not too large and the work not highly detailed. They would seem excellent for use as an emergency underhood or tire changing light. On all four units, all of the LEDs lit up fine, which was surprising as most chinese lamps I have tried had partial failure right out of the box. I used it for about two hours with no noticeable decrease in output. Next day I turned it on and left it on, At the three hour ( total ) mark the light still seemed to be just as bright. At about the five hour mark the light was significantly dimmer. Reading was now very difficult. I would say at this point the light would be useful only for walking about the house and doing only very simple chores not requiring much light. At present the light has been on continuously for 4 hours today, six hours total and the light remains at about the same low level.

I would say these would be useful as a short term emergency light or for intermittent use. They are cheap enough I am getting another set and will be stashing them in the cars and around the house, I do not think for a moment that they are adequate for extended use or as a sole source of light, but they are extremely handy supplemental light sorces. They seem reasonably sturdy for the price - I dropped one twice onto a hardwood floor from about two feet and again onto a thin carpet from about four feet with no apparent damage. Considering my experience with chinese electronics, I wouldn't count on them taking very much abuse, though.

ETA: got up this a.m. and the light was still shining at about the same level That's something like 14 hours. Now, I reiterate that the light level was low, but still useful to walk around from room to room, find moderately sized objects, etc. Trying the Streamlight Siege and M90A1s recommendation, will report back.

Last edited by J. Armstrong; March 10, 2018 at 09:52.
Old March 09, 2018, 22:19   #27
M90A1
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 3409
For fifty cents more, I think you'll get more light from these with the COB style LEDs.

https://smile.amazon.com/Brightest-L...07V13RZRBF0VY5
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 22:52   #28
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Thx, i may give them a try, too.

Old March 11, 2018, 11:37   #29
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
I've got the AA Seige from Streamlight, pretty good for the price. removing the globe/shade and hanging it from the ceiling makes it very bright, Perfect for a tent.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-4...words=seige+aa
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 21:12   #30
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I bought a couple of these,and I gotta say,I like them pretty good. They hold either 4 or 8 AA batteries,your choice,and will run either way. Bright without being blinding. Can be omni-directional,or directional,just by either opening or closing the panel. I'd buy a couple more if they crossed my path. I use nimh batteries in most everything. They don't seem to leak corrosive juice out like alkalines always seem to do.

https://www.lightsandbatteries.com/p...p/enffl81e.htm
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 12:35   #31
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

Just got a Siege, seems excellent., ( as it should be at the greater price ), Haven't tested it for more than a few minutes, but it is well constructed, good light output. The adjustable levels are nice, and the use of D cells obviously is going to give a longer duty cycle. I'm thinking the Streamlight and a couple of the ones M90 referenced would be a good array to have. They are a bit better than the Vonts I tested but not overwhelmingly so. I view them as handy supplements to the Siege, and cheap enough to toss one in the car and in a coupl of different rooms in the house foremergencies. Definitely want the Siege, or the B&Hs Huey mentioned or similar for longer term power outages, though.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and info so far

Old March 13, 2018, 15:52   #32
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
After reading Huey's reponse, I looked on Amazon, aw what appears to be the identical lantern, under a generic name. As noted, box of 4 with batteries, also under $20. They came today, will test over the next day or so.

I don't know how reliable or longlived they will be for less than $5 a pop, and I don't think I'd want to trust my life to one, but I don't see how I can go wrong with them.
I already had some larger florescent lanterns and some LED ones, but for $20, I figured WTF. They aren't super bright, but good enough to read by. Really easy to open and close. I've got some very bright (as in 1200 lumens) lights I use to ride bicycles after dark, but they're almost too much in the house. You can't beat these things for the money.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 20:20   #33
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
I have some milwaukee 12v rechargeable tools and they make a lantern for it. It is very bright and runs a long time. Just use the tool batteries. I have a wall and car battery charger and solar panels, so the batteries are never dead for long.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Lighting/2362-20

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018, 12:16   #34
hawk962
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk962 View Post
MPOWERD Luci solar lights. They are inflatable led solar lanterns. I carry one backpacking and they will run for hours after a charge. I bought my first one from a REI store. They are available online too. $15.00 -20.00 depending on the model you buy.
OK, I need to update my previous post. I read that REI has decided to halt carrying Camelback and other brands owned by a company named Vista Outdoors because another division of the company owns Savage and supports the NRA. REI has now been added to my list of companies that will no longer get my dollars. I cancelled my coop membership, which I am sure really hurt their feelings. If you decide to try one of the MPOWERD lights buy it from somewhere else.
Old March 15, 2018, 06:25   #35
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk962 View Post
OK, I need to update my previous post. I read that REI has decided to halt carrying Camelback and other brands owned by a company named Vista Outdoors because another division of the company owns Savage and supports the NRA. REI has now been added to my list of companies that will no longer get my dollars. I cancelled my coop membership, which I am sure really hurt their feelings. If you decide to try one of the MPOWERD lights buy it from somewhere else.
Sucks because they sell my book but didn't order any this season. I can ring bells up to corporate as both a vendor and member who has spent five figures on single purchases outfitting a high altitude team. Damn them.
Old March 15, 2018, 06:52   #36
hawk962
Registered

Yes it does suck. I had been a co op member for a bunch of years.
Old March 26, 2018, 06:59   #37
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Purchased two of these yesterday at Batteries Plus because they didn't have more:

Quote:
With all of the features that you would expect from a SLYDE...and more! The SLYDE™*KING is equipped with programmable memory settings for each light mode, a new C•O•B red light function, a 4x adjustable zoom and best of all...it’s rechargeable!

LIGHT
• High-power 330 lumen LED flashlight
• High-power 250 lumen C•O•B work light
• High-power 40 lumen red light
• High-power red hazard flasher

DESIGN
• Fully rechargeable
• Memory power setting
• Convex lens
• Tactical edge
• 4x adjustable zoom
• Anodized aircraft-grade aluminum;