Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old March 25, 2017, 22:06   #51
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I figure one experts opinion is as good as another. You know what they say about opinions. Actually, I trust my gunsmith more. I watched him inspect the weapon. Couldn't do that with Ruger. I also believe that a Ruger opinion would not be impartial and unbiased.

He checked for bulges and was not able to detect any. He put dummy rounds in it and cycled it, etc. He said it locked up fine and is ok to shoot.

He said that he doesn't think you can get enough powder in a 44 case to damage a Ruger Super Redhawk, and that his hat would be off to anyone that could blow one up. He also said that had it been a S&W it would have exploded.

This gun NEEDS to be checked by Ruger. They know ALL the tolerance for that gun and have ALL the tools and gauges to check it.

I've survived two Kabooms, one with a Ruger GP100 and the other with a Glock G20. Neither was fun and something I don't want to do again. I'm not sure what happened with the Glock but I think it was a combination of weak brass and a charge right at the max with the possibility of a rifle primer mixed in. It stretched out the case head of the 10mm larger than that of a .45ACP. Glad that Glock designs there pistols to vent the gas down threw the mag well instead of trying to hold all the pressure.

But YOU can either take the advice of other or ignore it... your a big boy. At least I hope you are.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017, 23:39   #52
Texas Jaguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 6874
I saw a Ruger Blackhawk in the old Mashburn Arms in Oklahoma City years ago. It was a pre transfer bar .357 magnum. The note said it was double charged with Bullseye powder. The fired chamber blew out upwards and completely separated the top strap from the revolver. Something I personally thought was impossible with a Ruger single action revolver.

That said if Ruger inspects the gun and deems it unsafe they will simply refuse to sell you a replacement cylinder. Its yours so they cannot refuse to return it to you. It won't be repaired but it will be returned. Surely you don't want to tempt fate a second time by shooting a gun condemned by its manufacturer?

Last edited by Texas Jaguar; March 25, 2017 at 23:49. Reason: more text
Texas Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017, 09:09   #53
Bogie
Registered

FALaholic #: 72397
Ok. Ok. You've convinced me. I almost shot it this morning, but my wrist is still sore from the kaboom, so I didn't, and despite what my gunsmith said, I'm still apprehensive about shooting it. And yes, I hope that 63 qualifies me as a big boy.
Bogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017, 20:32   #54
Texas Jaguar
Registered

FALaholic #: 6874
If your bound and determined to try it then tape it to an old tire or whatever you can find that will hold it in place. Tie a long cord to the trigger and get FAR away. Be sure to load only the chamber that suffered the KABOOM. Do it solo. No sense getting someone else hurt. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
Texas Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:28   #55
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Mic the hole the round was in and compare it to the others. Mic the cylinder to look for egging. If it didn't change shape I'd certainly feel better about shooting it. Still best to get Ruger to check it, but the thing's a tank that I'd trust to shake something like this off probably more than any other firearm on the market. That's why my big bore says Redhawk on it as well.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05   #56
machinegunner
Apprentice
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 78657
I believe this thread has convinced me to go with the ruger redhawk instead of the sandw29. at least to start with.
machinegunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:45   #57
Opie
Registered

FALaholic #: 11730
Glad to read that you are ok. As stated many times before, I wouldn't shoot it, and I would send it in to Ruger for inspection as they have all the tools, gauges, etc to determine if its safe or not, because you exceeded the proof load by a substantial margin. I would also bet that they have people on staff that do nothing else but work on those revolvers. Your life, limb, and eyesight is worth far more then shooting a revolver that has been through that without having it inspected by someone who really knows them.
Opie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:16   #58
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
I believe this thread has convinced me to go with the ruger redhawk instead of the sandw29. at least to start with.
Smiths are pretty and all, and I LOVE my 686+, but no 29 could take what a Redhawk will, and live to tell about it (as well as leaving your digits attached).

29 triggers are certainly better, but I have inherent trust in the Ruger, for exactly this reason. Had a trigger job done on my RH and it's decent. Still not what my 686 is with a job by the same guy, at the same time, but certainly acceptable in single and double action.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote