Notices

Old November 16, 2018, 20:57   #151
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fal762nato View Post
I wonder, was the Cuban triangle added to the lower by the Belgians, or it it was done by the Cubans after they received the rifles like they did to their aircraft? I assume after since many of the many of the triangles are of different depth into the metal unlike the serial numbers, and I haven't seen use of it's markings under Batista's regime
]
I suspect the triangle was added to the FAL's by the Cubans. The usual placement of the triangle is to the left and online with the serial number, however where the serial number is longer and rolled stamped closer to the "R" stamp of the slector the triangle is stamped lower from the first number of the serial number.
I have seen the triangle in a couple different positions. Had the triangle been provided at FN it would always be roll stamped directly in front of the serial number, I believe.
Old November 16, 2018, 22:19   #152
GRA556
Registered

FALaholic #: 81066
Weird marking

I received my Chilean kit today in a white plastic M16 shipping cover.

Stock is T-O-A-S-T ... DRY TOAST !!! I guess folks wherever this was issued/used are proud enough of themselves to carve their initials all over everything. Definitely going to replace this one. Type "C" stock.

Yes ... it needs a bath in hot water and Simple Green after total disassembly followed by another bath in the solvent parts washer followed up finally by a hot water bath with industrial grade soap. DIRTY MoFo !!!

Buttplate looks like it's baptized a few.

Shipment arrived when dark outside so I'll check the barrel out tomorrow in the sun. Barrel was shipped as an assembly with the gas block and gas tube complete with the sight parts - no bipod or sling swivel parts.

Lower receiver; the serial number "area" has a capital "R" followed by a funky triangle then about five numbers. (???)

Lower appears to have the FCG fully assembled with very bashed and abused standard black plastic grip. Handguards are the plastic type and will have to check them out tomorrow too.

A gear logo IMBEL is definitely a future purchase.

Seeing as how I'm new to the FAL scene I can only appreciate any and all input and information from you experts on what I actually have here and where all it may have been.

I'm hoping to do as nice a faithful restoration as possible.
Old November 16, 2018, 23:48   #153
Artigas
Registered

FALaholic #: 33849
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
Stock is T-O-A-S-T ... DRY TOAST !!! I guess folks wherever this was issued/used are proud enough of themselves to carve their initials all over everything. Definitely going to replace this one. Type "C" stock.

I'm hoping to do as nice a faithful restoration as possible.
I would make every possible attempt to salvage the stock with its engravings. Itís a piece of history, after all.
Artigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 23:59   #154
GRA556
Registered

More Bad Parts

Handguards; GONE ... the once rare and nice dark brown pieces are cracked, chipped, warped. The screw that is holding both pieces together is probably on it's very last turn. Looks like somebody tried to pry them apart once by shoving a screwdriver in between the metal areas while it was installed. At least the rev limiter (gas wheel limiter) is there and can be moved to another set.

Stock; So gone I can't even make the scratched-in initials out ... LOL. The buttplate looks like it's been used as every kind of tool imaginable. It's the type with no access door. Just the basic metal piece for bashing heads, etc.,

Grip is gone. I cannot see how a simple hand grip could be trashed like this?

Barrel; lands/grooves look fine and undisturbed without any bad spots or rust or pitting. Shoulders look good and the threads are taped up. Barrel appears straight.

Gas tube: It IS there and screwed (or soldered) in. NO PIN ... it's the full length type and has a small tiny hole drilled through-and-through in the top 1/3 of the tube it seems and about 1.5" from the wheel. Not that I've seen that many of these but I don't recall this being a factory option. Somebody please let me know if this is correct or not.

Fire control group; to include the selector, seems to work properly and appears to have been on a full-auto weapon.

Rear sight looks "worn" ... (???). I'd love to be doing the weapons inspection in formation and hear the excuse for this one ... LOL This will need replacing IMHO.

Bag of other goodies seems to have everything there. Have not checked for numbers on the BCG yet.

Time to go buy some Simple Green and some stiff nylon brushes.

Last edited by GRA556; November 17, 2018 at 00:08.
GRA556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 00:05   #155
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artigas View Post
I would make every possible attempt to salvage the stock with its engravings. It’s a piece of history, after all.
I understand but the wood is quite possibly too far gone. It's chipped, dented, BLACK WOOD, and appears the proper buttplate will most likely never fit right again.

The history behind it I'm sure is interesting but when doing a restoration the showroom floor affect is an attraction also.

What I'm interested in is the "R" in the serial number and any significance it may have to the triangle that precedes four digits of numbers.

The plate the BCG slams in to is average-worn but not pitted.
Old November 17, 2018, 00:25   #156
jsparky1983
Registered

FALaholic #: 72974
Pictures of your kit?
jsparky1983 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 00:50   #157
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
Pictures of your kit?
I don't have any a the moment however when I do if I cannot post them direct then a verbal description will have to do. I dont subscribe to photo services, etc.,
Old November 17, 2018, 02:10   #158
jsparky1983
Registered

If you want you can pm me your email and you can email me and Iíll put the pictures on my Imgur. Iíve done it for others.
Old November 17, 2018, 06:08   #159
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
I don't have any a the moment however when I do if I cannot post them direct then a verbal description will have to do. I dont subscribe to photo services, etc.,
Except for the barrel, sounds like the typical Sarco kit. Now pick up one of the Israeli's, and you will have something
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 06:57   #160
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

I'm positive by picking up an IMBEL kit would have met just about everyone's expectations. However, what SARCO is selling is a classic along the lines of the former BGS & G1 kits from APEX.
Some of us old timers whom have a supply of spare parts knew exactly what we were getting and the kits are not as bad as expected with the exception of the wood stock and butt plate in most cases.

Build it as is like munchoman did or replace all the unacceptable parts with surplus parts and either refinish it or leave it as a battlefield pickup.
Either way you will have a classic for your collection. just don't expect a match grade type shooter unless you exchange the barrel.

Last edited by DakTo; November 17, 2018 at 10:40.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 09:43   #161
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky1983 View Post
If you want you can pm me your email and you can email me and Iíll put the pictures on my Imgur. Iíve done it for others.
Thank you but that won't be necessary. I really do appreciate the kind offer.

I've already had an offer for sale and I will most likely sell it as I have no interest whatsoever in anything Cuban or Central American. I can care less about the history with this. If anything it was most likely owned by communists and I don't even want it in the house.
Old November 17, 2018, 10:26   #162
CTW
Registered

FALaholic #: 41894
Quote:
Thank you but that won't be necessary. I really do appreciate the kind offer.

I've already had an offer for sale and I will most likely sell it as I have no interest whatsoever in anything Cuban or Central American. I can care less about the history with this. If anything it was most likely owned by communists and I don't even want it in the house.
You could return it to Sarco.
Old November 17, 2018, 10:32   #163
Fal762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 81474
All sold out now. That was fast. Was considering getting another one but glad I got mine.
Fal762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 12:58   #164
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTW View Post
You could return it to Sarco.
Yes I know thank you but I have somebody that wants it.
Old November 17, 2018, 13:54   #165
104thEngr
Registered

FALaholic #: 41359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fal762nato View Post
All sold out now. That was fast. Was considering getting another one but glad I got mine.
I agree. It might not be perfect, but I'm happy with it.
104thEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 16:21   #166
EX1
Registered

FALaholic #: 12330
UPS Has lost my package.It shows being checked in Tue at 5:30 Then was loaded on a truck 5:30 am WED for delivery by days end .Now they cant find it anywhere.They have started a investigation so we will see.EX1
EX1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2018, 18:05   #167
jsparky1983
Registered

Thatís a bunch of crap. Hope they find it and it didnít wind up at some hippyís house.
Old November 17, 2018, 19:18   #168
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX1 View Post
UPS Has lost my package.It shows being checked in Tue at 5:30 Then was loaded on a truck 5:30 am WED for delivery by days end .Now they cant find it anywhere.They have started a investigation so we will see.EX1
This really sucks when it happens and I know the feeling. Sorry to hear it happened. Never had it happen with UPS but I have had it happen with USPS and FEDEX. They always seem to find the packages though.

Not to make you feel worse but they did have some thefts of firearms a while back and it was big huge case and caused all kinds of madness and mayhem. If I was you I would stay on them.

Last edited by GRA556; November 18, 2018 at 07:09.
Old November 17, 2018, 22:13   #169
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
Got my kit mainly for the barrel so I was happy to discover a shiny bore and a TE of 0. Replaced the Chilean lower that had serial number scrubbed with a Cuban lower from a previous Sarco purchase. Stock, handguards, carry handle nut were replaced with better ones from my stash. Used a DSA Mexican Contract Receiver which was surprising problem free other than the locking latch needed some work to get it to close. https://imgur.com/a/vNR7vWs

Last edited by msnyder; November 18, 2018 at 00:33.
msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 05:21   #170
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder View Post
Got my kit mainly for the barrel so I was happy to discover a shiny bore and a TE of 0. Replaced the Chilean lower that had serial number scrubbed with a Cuban lower from a previous Sarco purchase. Stock, handguards, carry handle nut were replaced with better ones from my stash. Used a DSA Mexican Contract Receiver which was surprising problem free other than the locking latch needed some work to get it to close. https://imgur.com/a/vNR7vWs

nice looking Cuban msnyder

Last edited by munchoman; November 18, 2018 at 05:30.
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 05:48   #171
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71040
Did anyone get a barrel with a serial number under 1400?

Did it have a lug on the barrel?

Beautiful build msnyder.

Last edited by Flypaper; November 18, 2018 at 06:48.
Flypaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 06:29   #172
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Just the way I like to build them. Com'on man get a little paint on that magazine.

Old November 18, 2018, 10:00   #173
Garth223
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
Did anyone get a barrel with a serial number under 1400?

Did it have a lug on the barrel?

Beautiful build msnyder.

I got barrel number 021 in my second kit. It is lugged

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Garth223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 11:15   #174
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
Found some chocolate handguards for it

msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 13:00   #175
jsparky1983
Registered

[QUOTE=Garth223;4659584]I got barrel number 021 in my second kit. It is lugged

I have a type 2 lower with a ZA number on it that’s serialized 021. Probably not related to this barrel but cool none the less.

Last edited by jsparky1983; November 18, 2018 at 14:18. Reason: Damn auto correct
Old November 18, 2018, 13:51   #176
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Is it just me or do the photos that people have posted with barrels with lugs look like those lugs are in the G1 location and not the early lugged barrel location? They look way too close to the back end of the flash hider.
Old November 18, 2018, 13:56   #177
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Is it just me or do the photos that people have posted with barrels with lugs look like those lugs are in the G1 location and not the early lugged barrel location? They look way too close to the back end of the flash hider.
They are in the G1 location.... used overrun?
Old November 18, 2018, 14:29   #178
Garth223
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80918
[QUOTE=jsparky1983;4659644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth223 View Post
I got barrel number 021 in my second kit. It is lugged

I have a type 2 lower with a ZA number on it thatís derailed 021. Probably not related to this barrel but cool none the less.
That is pretty cool! This one has a circled FN stamp on one of the flats and the standard Belgian proofs. Its deserving of a numbers matching build

Garth223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 19:43   #179
jpa61
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 81127
SNs of the 2 kits i got

Lower triangle 18731 19773

Barrel 9576 24983

Carrier 24791 27075

Bolt 9826 18420

looks like I will be able to salvage the butt stocks, still need a couple receivers for them & finish the ones ahead of them
jpa61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 22:45   #180
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
They are in the G1 location.... used overrun?

Must be.. probably ramped up for more production and Germany cancelled on them.

Just noticed it because I thought I saw someone saying somewhere else that they were going to use their lugged barrel for a BGS build.
Old November 19, 2018, 17:12   #181
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
Did anyone happen to get Chilean/Cuban lower or bolt carrier serial # 11828 ???

(I've got the barrel with that # and I'm trading with member AZMPiKM to get bolt #11828 )

LMK know if you come across lower or carrier #11828 and maybe we can work something out

P.S. I bought a Chilean and Cuban kit from a member in the Marketplace some years ago. Just FYI here are my #'s in case they match any of yours:
barrel 25041, 11828
bolt 2944, 3589, 11828
carrier 5498, 9292
lower 16144, 10319

Last edited by TraFALgar; November 26, 2018 at 13:53.
TraFALgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018, 18:49   #182
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
What buttstock would be reasonably correct for these?

My kit came with a butt that had a ferrule, so I am guessing it is what would be referred to as a Type C butt. Somehow the barrel makes me think something earlier would be appropriate.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018, 19:01   #183
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
All Cuban and Chilean contract FALs were of the "C" stock variant IIRC. The Browning or T-48 flash hider was another of their traits, and I can understand the supposition that a T-48 FH would be more appropriate with a Type A stock, like a G1. These rifles were ordered this way by the respective nations.
Old November 21, 2018, 19:10   #184
goon
Registered

FALaholic #: 9673
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
The banquet started around 30 years ago. As is common, the first ones to the banquet table get the best cuts.

But when you are hungry, the scraps taste just as good and with some creative craftsmanship can be elevated in their appeal.

So your choices are to: 1) eat the scraps; 2) entice the first comers to open their stash and provide the best cuts at cheap prices; or 3) build a time machine.

Of course, the most frequently used option is the 4th, to belly ache about the LONG GONE good ol'days!!!!!! Which is the least productive and does nothing to progress the addiction.

There are still good rifles to be had. There was a nice STG-58 on the marketplace just a few hours ago for about what I paid for my first DSA back in the mid 2000ís. Some things arenít as cheap or available now, but a good FAL is easier for me to spend some money on than an AK. The AK market is nuts right now.
goon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018, 19:35   #185
felixcat67
Registered

FALaholic #: 28131
I think I ordered a kit the day the Sarco email went out. My kit looks great overall. Dark, oily wood stock with dings but no cracks. The metal parts....no rust, nice patina overall. Plastic grip a bit scratched up, dark brown BC handguards are complete but have a couple chips.

Lower: 2163 (no other marks)
Bolt: 11399, star above a D with an arrow below
Carrier: 21413, star above an H with arrow below
Barrel: 245, Belgian crown. No gauges but cleaned nice n shiny, rifling looks good.
felixcat67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2018, 19:50   #186
GRA556
Registered

My numbers

Barrel; 25726

Lower; R (upside-down triangle with tip on bottom but slightly rocked to almost the number "7" on the clock dial), then "9501"

Bolt; 16159

Carrier; 8940

C-stock and buttplate are gone (but assembled) but the stock has no cracks yet it appears something heavy was pressed on both sides in random areas that was a cross-hatch pattern almost like that you would find on a grill or something like it laid up against a muffler covering ... WEIRD

I'm going to have do a MAJOR cleaning job to get to any armorer and/or proof marks. Looks like they used these things in a grease rack and/or to change oil in a generator or something.

Last edited by GRA556; November 22, 2018 at 06:46.
Old November 21, 2018, 19:58   #187
GRA556
Registered

Question

Does anyone have a tried and true procedure for leeching all the oil and grease, etc., out of a wood gunstock? By the looks of this it is going to take a long, long time.
Old November 22, 2018, 00:33   #188
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone have a tried and true procedure for leeching all the oil and grease, etc., out of a wood gunstock? By the looks of this it is going to take a long, long time.
Dawn dish soap to get the heavy stuff off the surface. I then follow up by soaking a tshirt or rag in water and wrapping it around the stock and then putting an iron on it to steam it out. The iron will heat up the water in the rag and steam the dirt and oil out of the stock and in to the cloth/rag. You will see the rag turn brown/black when you first do this. Once you are to a point that the oil is out of the wood you will see no more discoloration on the rag or cloth that you are using.
Old November 22, 2018, 01:29   #189
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
... yet it appears something heavy was pressed on both sides in random areas that was a cross-hatch pattern almost like that you would find on a grill or something like it laid up against a muffler covering ... WEIRD
Those would be vice marks, from clamping the stock in a vice to pull off the lower. Very sad. Also seen the same on some recent Aussie stocks, among others. Steaming, as previously discussed, should lift it out, mostly.
COBC #66
FarkŽn SnÍekee BastÔtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2018, 06:27   #190
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Try whiting ( calcium carbonate / lime stone powder)
I mix mine with lacquer thinner to a thick pudding consistency, completely cover the stock and put it under a heat lamp. You’re looking to get 130į before the oil start leaching out.
Do it in a well ventilated area with no flame!! I usually do that process three times with amazing results. Once all of the oil is out of it you will be able to steam out those dents. The oil prevents the steam from getting into the wood cells to expand the wood.
There is a thread on it here somewhere with pictures but I can’t find it.
I’ve got a 10 pound bag of Whiting a couple of years ago for $15 off of eBay.
Old November 22, 2018, 06:38   #191
GRA556
Registered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Dawn dish soap to get the heavy stuff off the surface. I then follow up by soaking a tshirt or rag in water and wrapping it around the stock and then putting an iron on it to steam it out. The iron will heat up the water in the rag and steam the dirt and oil out of the stock and in to the cloth/rag. You will see the rag turn brown/black when you first do this. Once you are to a point that the oil is out of the wood you will see no more discoloration on the rag or cloth that you are using.
Thank you very much
Old November 22, 2018, 06:43   #192
GRA556
Registered

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
Those would be vice marks, from clamping the stock in a vice to pull off the lower. Very sad. Also seen the same on some recent Aussie stocks, among others. Steaming, as previously discussed, should lift it out, mostly.
Thank you. Hard to believe disassembly took that much damn pressure !!!
Old November 22, 2018, 06:45   #193
GRA556
Registered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Try whiting ( calcium carbonate / lime stone powder)
I mix mine with lacquer thinner to a thick pudding consistency, completely cover the stock and put it under a heat lamp. Youíre looking to get 130į before the oil start leaching out.
Do it in a well ventilated area with no flame!! I usually do that process three times with amazing results. Once all of the oil is out of it you will be able to steam out those dents. The oil prevents the steam from getting into the wood cells to expand the wood.
There is a thread on it here somewhere with pictures but I canít find it.
Iíve got a 10 pound bag of Whiting a couple of years ago for $15 off of eBay.
OK thank you very much I will try that.
Old November 22, 2018, 20:07   #194
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX1 View Post
Well??
Old November 22, 2018, 20:10   #195
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
An old news story re Chilean kits

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...=gunimporter20
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2018, 20:44   #196
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Thank you. Hard to believe disassembly took that much damn pressure !!!
It shouldn't, and likely didn't, require that much pressure. I'm unsure what circumstances existed, where such action was thought to be needed, but it's quite sad these relics got such a beating after their service ended.
COBC #66
FarkŽn SnÍekee BastÔtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 21:52   #197
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democrat1 View Post
I thought that had more to do with all the Imbel type 3 kits that flooded the market in recent years?
enbloc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018, 12:05   #198
LIVE_FREE_OR_DIE
Registered

FALaholic #: 68096
My way of Degreasing the Wooden Stocks.

Quote:
My stain remover of choice Zip-Strip. So far after only 2 applications and some brass brush work, the wood has leached out the majority of the filth. Maybe 1 or 2 more good applications and iíll have a bare naked stock. Not much effort for decent results:
Original-
2-FAB6355-39-CB-487-E-8715-343998-F3-B2-FB

Zip-Strip-
52057516-8-F88-4-CF0-8-DE2-351343-D4-E211

Almost Bare Stock-
8211-BB7-F-7-FC3-4-B88-A7-D6-CDC0-D7885-B2-B
LIVE_FREE_OR_DIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018, 13:25   #199
GRA556
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE_FREE_OR_DIE View Post
My stain remover of choice Zip-Strip. So far after only 2 applications and some brass brush work, the wood has leached out the majority of the filth. Maybe 1 or 2 more good applications and i’ll have a bare naked stock. Not much effort for decent results:
Original-
2-FAB6355-39-CB-487-E-8715-343998-F3-B2-FB

Zip-Strip-
52057516-8-F88-4-CF0-8-DE2-351343-D4-E211

Almost Bare Stock-
8211-BB7-F-7-FC3-4-B88-A7-D6-CDC0-D7885-B2-B
Now that is totally amazing.
Old November 24, 2018, 14:49   #200
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

The first time I've seen the entire lower cleaned without removing the wood & parts.
You might consider now removing all the parts and clean underneath and dry the metal to prevent rusting.