The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 14, 2019, 09:41   #1
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Izzy Charging Handle Differnce? (HB vs LB)

Is there any differences between Izzy Foward Bolt Assist - HB Charging Handle vs. a LB Charging Handle?

Reason being is that I purchased one of the DSA Izzy kits that came in relatively decent shape...With the exception of the Charging Handle (somewhat
pitted and worn).

I found some NOS Izzy HB ones on Gunbroker....but are they the same as Light Barreled ones or are they different?

Thanks,
Orion the Hunter
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 09:45   #2
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71040
They are different and ARS has pictures showing the difference on their site.

The stud for the charging knob it is flat on the heavy barrels and round on the light barrels I believe.
Old March 14, 2019, 10:24   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The light barrel handle came first on the Romat. The heavy came on the Makleon. We had discussed it before - just speculation.

Perhaps the Light barrel handle was found inadequate so they beefed it up. Not only for the heavy, but also for repair/replacement on the light? So it was an early and a late style handle and only coincidental that the later one was used on the later heavy barrel.

Old March 14, 2019, 18:11   #4
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
^^^This^^^

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 23:31   #5
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Thanks for the help!

Question...Answered.

Thanks everyone.

Orion the Hunter
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 07:43   #6
autoloadga
Registered

FALaholic #: 82025
On my Israeli rifle from DSA the charging handle is the heavy type. I do not know about others. It would be interesting to know.
autoloadga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2019, 08:46   #7
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Mark pretty much spelled it out. It is unclear whether they are Early Version and Late Version … OR …. Light Barrel and Heavy Barrel versions.

I personally believe it is Early and Late. I have 3 Early versions that the knob shaft is bent to the point the forward assist doesn't move. So I think they recognized the design wasn't strong enough for the force it endures.

Also note, the very early Izzy's (with the T48 handguards) appear to have had a charging handle similar to the G-1. There are a couple picture going around of those rifles in an Israeli museum, and they show a standard charging handle with the aluminum knob.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 17:21   #8
Sk8Man
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 14853
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoloadga View Post
On my Israeli rifle from DSA the charging handle is the heavy type. I do not know about others. It would be interesting to know.
The charging handle on the DSA/Israeli rifle that I received is the Light-Barrel type and looks to be mint to NOS. It is of a dark Parkerizing finish on the black Dura-coated receiver which looks OK to me as there are several parts that are not painted but are dark parkerized such as the barrel and front-sight/gas-cylinder assembly. The thing that surprised me is that the lower receiver looks to be NOS as there are absolutely no flaws in it, even no tracks made at all from the selector detent like the rounding of the edges of the relief cuts in the receiver that the selector detent rests in at each position.
-

"A man’s character is accurately measured by his reaction to life’s inequalities."

"The highest courage is to dare to be true to yourself in the face of adversity, choosing right over wrong,
ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity. These are the choices that measure your life.
Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing."
Sk8Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 19:10   #9
autoloadga
Registered

FALaholic #: 82025
Mine is the same way. Except for the wood looking used, I would think it is a new rifle.
autoloadga is online now   Reply With Quote