The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 12, 2019, 21:13   #1
RSeattle206
Registered

FALaholic #: 82154
Anyone have a picture of CHROME LINED barrel?

I'm trying to find pictures on the web for a chrome-lined Imbel barrel but all I can come up with are chromed chambers. I am not familiar with FAL's but I do know how an AR/AK chrome bore at the muzzle looks.

I'm trying to purchase an Imbel build but I am not certain if the bore is chrome lined or not, the chamber is chrome for sure. Here are the pictures from the seller/member.

The barrel flat is stamped "O". The seller did a cold blue test on some chrome areas of the muzzle and it did not turn dark.

Thanks!

Last edited by RSeattle206; March 12, 2019 at 23:23.
RSeattle206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 21:25   #2
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
IIRC the bipod cut Imbel barrels are chrome lined and I think stamped with a T.
msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 08:14   #3
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 75965
Why is a chrome bore important to you on a FAL? Chrome bores really only seem to matter in machine guns, and when using a combination of corrosive ammo with crap cleaning practices. The bore in question is likely not chrome lined. That said, it will probably shoot every bit as good as any other FAL with rifling still in it. Steyr barrels are generally regarded as the best surplus barrel, and I don't think they used a speck of chrome in any of them. Not tearing you down or anything, just wondering why that particular detail is your sticking point on buying, assuming the price is right.
Old March 13, 2019, 10:15   #4
RSeattle206
Registered

The only semi auto rifles l own are Ak's, AR's and a scar-h. All are chrome lined. Maybee it's just the ocd in me, but I clean every single rifle even after firing one magazine at the range. It'd be nice knowing my fal has a chrome bore even know I'll never utilize the barrel to its full potential.

Regardless, if the rifle in question doesn't have a CL barrel I'll be contempt. Just want to know exactly what to look for if a fal's bore is chromd or not.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:28   #5
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeattle206 View Post
The only semi auto rifles l own are Ak's, AR's and a scar-h. All are chrome lined. Maybee it's just the ocd in me, but I clean every single rifle even after firing one magazine at the range. It'd be nice knowing my fal has a chrome bore even know I'll never utilize the barrel to its full potential.

Regardless, if the rifle in question doesn't have a CL barrel I'll be contempt. Just want to know exactly what to look for if a fal's bore is chromd or not.
I'm not an expert by any means, others here are (even more claim to be) but the most common chrome lined FAL barrels I am aware of are mainly the Argentine produced bipod cut barrels, the T marked imbels, the late Cr marked Belgian lugged, and various commonwealth pattern barrels that I cannot give you identifying markings of. Of course there are always exceptions and oddities. The vast majority of the bores on FALs seem to be non chrome lined.
Old March 13, 2019, 12:34   #6
jugrunner
ToxicAlphaMail
Contributor

FALaholic #: 19911
Was it advertised as "Chrome lined" .. ?? .. did you pay for "Chrome lined" .. ?

Just wondered .. Very nice barrel anyway .. enjoy ..

ETA: Nice pics of the bore and muzzle .. you can certainly see where Imbel used a machine to jam that Combo device on .. they also use a machine to torque barrel to Receiver .. I've had a couple that were over the top with turned threads and fuked up crowns .. if it shoots crooked have the crown re-done .. by someone that knows how .. maybe L/FN .. Sledgehammer

Quote:

Last edited by jugrunner; March 13, 2019 at 12:41.
jugrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 13:26   #7
RSeattle206
Registered

No, the rifle wasn't advertised as chrome lined. The seller was able to provide pictures of the muzzle for me to determine. Regardless, I ever want to swap out for a CL barrel in the future I can send it off to a falsmith to do so.

I think it'll be a good first FAL. It's an imbel kit with matching bolt/carrier built on a nos imbel GL receiver.
Old March 13, 2019, 14:46   #8
jugrunner
ToxicAlphaMail
Contributor

Absolutely .. !! .. will build a fine riFal .. But .. do it yourself .. !! .. It's easier than you would possibly believe ..

Quote:
No, the rifle wasn't advertised as chrome lined. The seller was able to provide pictures of the muzzle for me to determine. Regardless, I ever want to swap out for a CL barrel in the future I can send it off to a falsmith to do so.

I think it'll be a good first FAL. It's an imbel kit with matching bolt/carrier built on a nos imbel GL receiver.
Old March 14, 2019, 00:08   #9
kysjck
Registered

FALaholic #: 31833
After reading that Imbel chrome lined barrels are stamped with a T, I took the handguards off my SAR48. It turns out there's nothing stamped on the flats or anywhere else on the barrel. All SAR48s have chrome lined barrels it's obvious at the muzzle end. My 2 spare Imbel barrels have the O and no chrome lined bore. If there's supposed to be a T on the SAR48 barrel where should I look for it?
kysjck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 19:31   #10
MilsurpMonkey
Red-headed Step Child
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kysjck View Post
After reading that Imbel chrome lined barrels are stamped with a T, I took the handguards off my SAR48. It turns out there's nothing stamped on the flats or anywhere else on the barrel. All SAR48s have chrome lined barrels it's obvious at the muzzle end. My 2 spare Imbel barrels have the O and no chrome lined bore. If there's supposed to be a T on the SAR48 barrel where should I look for it?
Not sure the SAR rifles were marked being commercial, the T is in reference to military contract barrels. Just like the O is supposed to be a chrome chamber (not sure I believe that, I've also got an O on an original Imbel para top cover)
Old March 14, 2019, 19:35   #11
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilsurpMonkey View Post
Not sure the SAR rifles were marked being commercial, the T is in reference to military contract barrels. Just like the O is supposed to be a chrome chamber (not sure I believe that, I've also got an O on an original Imbel para top cover)
"Always" and "never" are two terms that do not fit well in the whirled world of FALs.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 10:06   #12
westfork
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7671
I have one or two FAL chrome barrels that came with some of the $89 Tapco FAL kits years ago. I think they were replacement barrels that had been on these rifles. I believe there was a line marked on the barrel filled with red indicating this chrome barrel.
westfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 13:18   #13
jugrunner
ToxicAlphaMail
Contributor

are you planning on using corrosive ammo .. ? .. If not, buy a Steyr barrel .. they look like chrome but shoot better .. IMHO ..