Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 09, 2019, 16:17   #1
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Picked up a new DSA type II and III receiver

I just picked these up from the FFL. These came from DSA's last batch... yeah, I rolled the dice. A couple quick observations.

For those interesting, the type III has internal lightening cuts (but not on lug). It also ditches the bullet logo, which I like.

It took a little work, a hand hand timed a pair of Imbel barrels on the receivers, which both timed at roughly 10:00ish, which in my experience, is par the course for Imbel barrels, they typically time a little short compared to Austrian or Belgian barrels.

Mag fit is excellent. Tested a handful of locking shoulders, none of which could be pressed into the receiver from either side by hand (don't "appear" to be oversized, I haven't measured them).

No evidence of any cast marks event. The finish work is decent... definitely more clean on the type III. I've seen better from DSA, but I have definitely seen worse (even from early DS receivers). No complaints here.

The ejector block isn't flush against the front of receiver, with a small gap, which is annoying (not sure if this matters or not).

Thant is far as I got with checking things out.... just a couple quck basement bench top observations.

Last edited by lockjaw; March 09, 2019 at 16:26.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 17:08   #2
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Nice looking pair Eric. How is the ejector block fitment, any gap? Hopefully they build well for you. I'd go for one of their T3 if they did a nchc model, and it was in good spec.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 17:15   #3
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

There is a minor gap at the front f the ejector block... it isn’t significant, but it is annoying. I don’t know if it would affect function or not. I looked at other rifles in the stable (after reading Gunplumber’s recent review of the DSA Izzy receiver). Some older DSA receivers have a small gap as well... I dunnoh, it is a little annoying that I know about it.... but is it an actual issue? As least the ejector block is two piece, and pins are installed clean.
Old March 09, 2019, 18:01   #4
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Very good. Both of my older factory DSA SA58's have the gap at the rear underside of the ejector block. Just wondered if they had changed this on new production.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 18:30   #5
RSeattle206
Registered

FALaholic #: 82154
Thanks for the the mini-review! I have a Type III still waiting to ship out from DSA. Going to send it to ARS and hopefully the receiver will make a good host for a reliable FAL.
RSeattle206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 08:05   #6
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
They sure look good, not that that matters as compared to function.
01BIRDDOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2019, 10:05   #7
RSeattle206
Registered

Lockjaw,

How long did it take for dsa to ship out your receivers? I made my order on 2/28(in stock and added to cart) and it still hadn't shipped yet. When I emailed dsa they told me my order was still in "production". When I asked them to clarify whether "productive" meant the receiver is being manufactured or the order being processed/finalized before shipment. They never responded back.
Old March 11, 2019, 10:17   #8
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeattle206 View Post
Lockjaw,

How long did it take for dsa to ship out your receivers? I made my order on 2/28(in stock and added to cart) and it still hadn't shipped yet. When I emailed dsa they told me my order was still in "production". When I asked them to clarify whether "productive" meant the receiver is being manufactured or the order being processed/finalized before shipment. They never responded back.
Were the receivers in stock when you placed the order, and did you receive an order number? You also need to confirm that DSA has your preferred FFL on file, they will skip over your order to the next man in line your FFL isnt tangible (that is fair).... I learned that the hard way. I placed an order for the type II on the afternoon they became available. I was told that fulfillment will not assign me a serial number without the FFL, and the receivers were selling fast (they did!). I was at work, so I asked my FFL to e-mail a copy shortly before close of business. I also requested a type III, just in case. I ended up with both. From my observations thus far, Im content that I did.

From the time I paid, the receivers were at my FFL within two days (my state is next door).

Why dont you call DSA and clarify? I found the customer service solid.
Old March 11, 2019, 10:21   #9
RSeattle206
Registered

Yes, when I made my order the type 3 was in stock when I placed the order. I did get an order confirmation email and the following day I got an email from dsa requesting for my ffl, which I sent to them immediately.

After a couple of days I emailed them about my order status and they told me my ffl is on file my order is still in production. I'll call them today to clarify.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2019, 22:31   #10
DSA_REP
Registered

FALaholic #: 80089
Location: I'm an active FAL enthusiast living in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Can't wait to see what they become! Thanks for taking the time to share.
DSA_REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 12:20   #11
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Back on 2/28 I decided to build another FAL. Went to the DSA website to order up a type I, which were not listed as in stock. However type II and type III were shown to be in stock. So then I push the button for the type II with expectations for a speedy delivery. Got my FFL to send in required info the following day and I did get a conformation stating such. Order number and all.

But then, when tracking info was not sent, I placed a call to DSA inquiring what the status was. The nice man said they were out of stock and I would be getting one as soon as the next batch comes in. Why would they show something as available when in fact it was not?

Well today I went to the fun store and picked up a nice looking type II. My impression is much the same as Lockjaw stated. Great looking piece, but the proof is in the fitting. Now off to the parts bin...
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote