The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 06, 2019, 19:23   #1
falex
Registered

FALaholic #: 63829
Another Request for Opinions

Alright, you dudes saved me big time on my last potential purchase. What about a BNIB DSA SA 58 with a 16" barrel. What would the going rate on that be?

Any info, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
falex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 10:07   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Carbine, Para, or Voyager?

Question, have you fired a 16" .308?
!8" would be the minimum for me and I can't find a thing wrong with a 21".
Old March 07, 2019, 10:47   #3
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Personally, I would look for something used that is known to function. 16" barrel, DSA and BNIB are three strikes. Do you like gambling?

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 11:09   #4
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Carbine, Para, or Voyager?

Question, have you fired a 16" .308?
18" would be the minimum for me and I can't find a thing wrong with a 21".
^^^This^^^
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 11:50   #5
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
16” FAL isn’t anymore abnoxious than any other carbine on the range, especially with the modern muzzle breaks out there.

I have really warmed into a stainless DSA rifle with 16” barrel. It is a fun rifle to shoot, and is as reliable as any other FAL in the stable. The rifle is also very accurate for my use (typically 300 yards or less). I nearly considered swapping the barrel based upon preconceived bias. I am glad that I didn’t.

I do agree that a recent production NIB DSA with 16” barrel is a crap shoot...
Old March 07, 2019, 20:37   #6
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by falex View Post
Alright, you dudes saved me big time on my last potential purchase. What about a BNIB DSA SA 58 with a 16" barrel. What would the going rate on that be?

Any info, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
Less.than it is listed on the DSA website
Old March 07, 2019, 23:14   #7
falex
Registered

FALaholic #: 63829
Sorry all, no pics. It was a carbine, not a Voyager (that's a cast receiver, IIRC, right?) He had it for 1200.00. I had read an earlier thread where another poster asked basically the same question, and folks were saying that about 1000.00 is the going rate for a standard SA58. Either way, I didn't buy it...just didn't feel like 1200.00 was a great price.

Back when I purchased my STG58, which was about 6 years ago, I was under the impression that the SA58 was the more desirable model. It does not appear that way now, though, maybe it never did?

And yes, I have shot 16" .308's. I own a couple of them already. They are nothing compared to my JP LRP-07 in .260 with JP's big ass muzzle brake.

I do have a follow up question...just got looking into a guy selling an FN FAL 50.42. He says it is NIB. Would any of you guys be able to guess a fair market value on that one?

Thanks again.
falex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 23:43   #8
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
What's your budget?
Personally I would start looking for an Imbel receiver, probably gonna cost you $600ish. Then buy a nice Imbel kit either in the Marketplace or from Arizona Response Systems. Then send it, or if you buy from ARS have them hold it until you can send him the receiver, have Mark build it into a beautiful riFAL & be done with it.
You might wind up spending a little more than you wanted but in the long run you'll have a more desirable rifle than what DSA offers.

The beauty of this is that you can buy each [receiver, kit, build price] at your leisure.

I would buy one of these [actually I did, but I might buy another since I have an extra Imbel receiver on my hands]

https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/p...pat-less-bolt/
Near Sighted Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2019, 07:37   #9
VHart51
Registered

FALaholic #: 81270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
What's your budget?
Personally I would start looking for an Imbel receiver, probably gonna cost you $600ish. Then buy a nice Imbel kit either in the Marketplace or from Arizona Response Systems. Then send it, or if you buy from ARS have them hold it until you can send him the receiver, have Mark build it into a beautiful riFAL & be done with it.
You might wind up spending a little more than you wanted but in the long run you'll have a more desirable rifle than what DSA offers.

The beauty of this is that you can buy each [receiver, kit, build price] at your leisure.

I would buy one of these [actually I did, but I might buy another since I have an extra Imbel receiver on my hands]

A guy told me the same thing when I ask him if I should buy a new completed rifle. Then send it to Mark and I would have a very nice riFAL!
VHart51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2019, 09:21   #10
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
I can't find a thing wrong with a 21".
Me neither.
Old March 08, 2019, 09:33   #11
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
What's your budget?

Very good advice here. I built my own 16" para a few years ago and it is one of my favorite rifles, my favorite FAL (I own four) by far. It is louder than my 21" FALs but much handier when climbing fences and trees and walking through dense brush with it slung over my back (I hunt with all of my rifles).
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote