The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old August 26, 2018, 09:58   #1
ICU308
Registered

FALaholic #: 49888
Walther PPKS 22TB

Buds has Walther PPKS 22TB pistols on sale , and always wanted a rimfire companion for the 380 . Threaded for suppressor , steel frame , one mag , but "fixed" sights . Most reviews speak well of this pistol , but I am curious if anyone here has one , has shot one , and any positive or negative thoughts .
Old August 26, 2018, 14:08   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I have never owned a PPKS in any caliber but have owned three PP's in .22LR.

All three of them were purchased NIB by me and they were very nicely fitted and finished. AFAIC the Walther PP series are the best of the medium framed double action rim fire auto pistols ever made. Accurate with good quality high velocity ammo. Standard velocity can be somewhat iffy reliability wise. The one I have now prefers CCI Mini Mags and Winchester SuperX.

Finding factory magazines for the .22LR can be difficult and pricey if found. Stay away from makes like the Triple K. Junk IMNSHO.

Would I be correct in assuming that the PPKS you are considering is NIB? If so where are they made. There are no German production PP series and to the best of my knowledge haven't been in the last thirty years. I don't know if the French made Manurhins are still made or not.

I have read what are basically rumors that there might be US made PP series pistols made at the new Walther factory in this country.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018, 20:19   #3
ICU308
Registered

Yes NIB
As far as country of manufacturer , I do not know ...yet . I placed an inquiry , but have not received an answer . I appreciate your expertise , and experience .
Thank you
Old August 27, 2018, 11:25   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
At least the one I used was German made ... And yeah gtg guns you will need to buy a adpatore to use the threaed barrel but it is ready to go

And the one I used you could not kill it ..Running nasty stander velcoty ammo no james even when dirty and dry of oil

If it the same model ..They are good to go and a Joy to shoot

Plus you feel like oo7
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2018, 23:38   #5
ICU308
Registered

After reading many blogs on the Walther , I ordered one , an adaptor , and two Walther mags . Did not put it on paper , but shot an aluminum can thrown out about 15 yards . Took 4 shots to figure it was shooting high , but straight on . Put on the Sparrow , and was pleased to be able to see the sights above the can . Ran 100 rounds of CCI SV through it without a single issue . Cut the aluminum can to shreds . What a blast
The pistol is made in Germany , but does not have the high sheen blue that the old PPK/s had . Parked or ceracote , not sure . It doesn't matter . Pre1989 was right , this pistol was a lot of fun to shoot , and a good deal for the price . It will be in my range bag permanently .
Old September 03, 2018, 13:27   #6
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU308 View Post

After reading many blogs on the Walther , I ordered one , an adaptor , and two Walther mags . Did not put it on paper , but shot an aluminum can thrown out about 15 yards . Took 4 shots to figure it was shooting high , but straight on . Put on the Sparrow , and was pleased to be able to see the sights above the can . Ran 100 rounds of CCI SV through it without a single issue . Cut the aluminum can to shreds . What a blast
The pistol is made in Germany , but does not have the high sheen blue that the old PPK/s had . Parked or ceracote , not sure . It doesn't matter . Pre1989 was right , this pistol was a lot of fun to shoot , and a good deal for the price . It will be in my range bag permanently .
Yeah they really are a steal for what they are ..Prepper had one for under 400 bucks brand new

For what you are getting it really is a good deal

Where did you get your thread adapter from? I am looking for one
Old September 03, 2018, 17:10   #7
ICU308
Registered

Multiples listed on E-Bay , but I chose this one , and it fits well ; and stays secure during use . Decent price , well made , quick shipper .

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=1567834590004

By the way , the sights are not "fixed" . The rear has a small screw , for left or right drift adjustment , and there are two extra front sights if the pistol shoots excessively high or low . I left mine as is . Shooting about an inch high at 15 yards , and spot on at 25 . Just a dot of fluorescent orange paint makes the front easy to pick up on target .
Old September 03, 2018, 20:38   #8
pre1989
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU308 View Post

Multiples listed on E-Bay , but I chose this one , and it fits well ; and stays secure during use . Decent price , well made , quick shipper .

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=1567834590004

By the way , the sights are not "fixed" . The rear has a small screw , for left or right drift adjustment , and there are two extra front sights if the pistol shoots excessively high or low . I left mine as is . Shooting about an inch high at 15 yards , and spot on at 25 . Just a dot of fluorescent orange paint makes the front easy to pick up on target .

Nice , thanks for that ... And good to know on the sights I have yet really printed it mostly just done pin and dirt shooting
Old September 04, 2018, 03:55   #9
Super Dakę
Registered

FALaholic #: 70615
I got one after the slide on my Sig Mosquito broke in two (under 300 rds!) which seems wasn't an isolated incident with them.
My nickel PPKS says made in Germany, under $299 NiB. Factory mags aren't cheap, but that seems to be the case with most new hand guns (and they were cheaper then the Sig mags). It's an accurate, durable little gun. I only used CCI Mini Mags, without any issues. I got the stainless thread adapter from Hughes (under $20 shipped through ebay). Mainly using a QSM can, and the setup is great. I modded the tall front sight to fiber-optic. The DA trigger pull is heavy (way more then the .380) but I don't do DA any way.
I'm really happy with mine, and I've been shooting it more then my MGs (fun and cheap).
Old September 04, 2018, 11:38   #10
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Just curious, but is the slide zinc like the Walther P-22 or is it aluminum?

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2018, 14:56   #11
Super Dakę
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Just curious, but is the slide zinc like the Walther P-22 or is it aluminum?

Forrest
Zink based alloy (zamak) like the P22, but thicker especially around the muzzle and ejection port (weak spots in the older P22 pistols) according to reviews/reading.
My Sig was zink, but also thinner, and broke (and Sig no longer makes them, and doesn't have any replacement slides left). But I haven't heard of any PPKSs breaking, and they have been out since '13? Might be worth a google.
Edit: Googled it and didn't have any results for breakage. Just FYI.

Last edited by Super Dakę; September 04, 2018 at 15:06.
Super Dakę is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2018, 16:29   #12
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Are they more accurate than the 3.5" P22's? My youngest son has been wanting one for a while.

My p22 has been really fun over the years, but accuracy pretty much sucks at anything more serious than a big piece of steel gong.

If I print a 3 inch circle on an 8x11 piece of paper, I can usually keep all the bullets somewhere on the paper at about 15 yards. No, that's not an exaggeration.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2018, 19:51   #13
D P Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 15219
Had a PPK/S in 22lr that I bought new in the early 70's. IIRC the frame was aluminum and the slide was steel. James Bond was king at the time so I had to have one. The gun was never half reliable but in fairness perhaps I never tried enough different types of ammo to find one that functioned properly. Always wanted a WW2 vintage PPK but at this point that's not going to happen.
D P Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 08, 2018, 08:46   #14
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
$249.95 Good price?
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...8342e-18001777
Old September 08, 2018, 17:31   #15
Super Dakę
Registered