The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old March 12, 2018, 06:30   #1
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Canning Meat Questions

I had a Great Uncle who canned meat. Specially, I remember Sausage in a Mason Jar,with a layer of fat on the top.
(He was a Cook in the Army, both WW2 and Korea)
Anyway, he passed before I became interested in preserving foods, and i need some guidance.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 07:16   #2
hawk962
Registered

FALaholic #: 9621
Ball/Kerr jar company has a great website with tons of information. They also publish a book every year called the Blue Book Guide to Preserving that is one of the best. A few years ago they added a section to the book about dehydrating.

For meats, low acid foods, you will need a pressure canner. Both the Ball website and the Blue Book include detailed step by step instructions along with recipes.

https://www.freshpreserving.com/home
hawk962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 12:16   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
We have a public cannery open to the public courtesy of the county extension agency or at least we did. People would show up to can whatever, all pitchildren in together to keep the line moving and have a couple of employees that give help,and advice plus make sure all procedures done correctly. My grandmother used to go hang out a couple days a week just to help people for something to do. Having a commercial line where all you pay for are your supplies which are subsidized by dot gov is a deal and a half. Regular FDA inspections and the whole enchilada. Just bring your product and have prep through packaging stations.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 12:54   #4
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
I buy beef roast on sale, cube it, add it raw to sanitized pint jars with a pinch of kosher salt and pressure can it for 90 minutes.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 13:07   #5
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
We have a public cannery open to the public courtesy of the county extension agency or at least we did. People would show up to can whatever, all pitchildren in together to keep the line moving and have a couple of employees that give help,and advice plus make sure all procedures done correctly. My grandmother used to go hang out a couple days a week just to help people for something to do. Having a commercial line where all you pay for are your supplies which are subsidized by dot gov is a deal and a half. Regular FDA inspections and the whole enchilada. Just bring your product and have prep through packaging stations.
What town was the cannery in?

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 13:10   #6
PBR Streetgang
Registered

FALaholic #: 8684
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
I had a Great Uncle who canned meat. Specially, I remember Sausage in a Mason Jar,with a layer of fat on the top.
(He was a Cook in the Army, both WW2 and Korea)
Anyway, he passed before I became interested in preserving foods, and i need some guidance.
I've been pressure canning meat for years. Just ate some pork rib meat from 2009. 75 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure seems to work for me.

--Ayn Rand

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

'You have to pinch yourself - a Marxist radical who all his life has been
mentored by, sat at the feet of, worshiped with, befriended, endorsed the
philosophy of, funded and been in turn funded, politically promoted and
supported by a nexus comprising black power anti-white racists, Jew-haters,
revolutionary Marxists, unrepentant former terrorists and Chicago mobsters,
is on the verge of becoming President of the United States. And apparently
it's considered impolite to say so.'
PBR Streetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 14:41   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
What town was the cannery in?
Dawson, just a short run up 400 from Atlanta but had one here in Hall just have not checked status in a few years. Since grandmother and dad passed don't get caught up on the latest canning scuttlebutt as did when they were always into it. Thought most counties, especially rural had canneries at one time in Georgia. Here are over 20 in Georgia plus covers other states as well.

http://www.pickyourown.org/canneries.htm

Looks like 28 Georgia public canneries on this site plus other states:

https://www.thebalance.com/community...ations-1387886

Here is some information on LDS canneries and the Mormons are usually good about sharing their toys. Why I help them with communications as they work charity both ways regardless of beliefs.

http://prepared-housewives.com/lds-c...tions-answers/

That should be enough to get you started and help folks around the country know if their state is as helpful as Georgia or do they need to look at faith based organizations for help. Can dig a little deeper and call some folks I know still are deep into canning and such, we either dry or freeze our food as most long tern storage food is easier to buy when I figure time to grow, harvest, prep and preserve in large quantities. I do have plenty of long term storage seeds and enough traps to run a couple mice trap lines plus commercial fishing nets, throw nets and fish traps to use the 58,000 acre lake behind the house for fresh fish.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018, 14:46   #8
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
I like to can my own Tuna when the Albacore are running and you can get it right off the boat. Use the instruction from the Ball Blue Book (blue balls book as the wife calls it). It is the only meat that I have tried to can so far, never had a problem with the process. Home canned tuna will spoil you for store bought. Hope to put up another 50 lbs + this summer as we always seem to run short....yumm.....

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 11:40   #9
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I do 90min at 15 psi. Cubed raw, or pre-seared. I like skinless boneless chicken breast, browned, halved, topped with carrots, celery, and broth.

I've even packed pint large mouth jars with raw meatloaf. Contracts a bit so just pop the top and pour out a lump of meat loaf ready to eat.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote