The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old June 19, 2017, 08:00   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
What created The Declaration of Independence

So you are wondering who, what & where the ideals came from to prompt the founding fathers to put pen to paper and create "The Declaration of Independence"

This book from a New England preacher is the reason
(shown is a 1860 reprint, the first 2 editions are very difficult to read)

https://archive.org/details/vindicationofgov00wise
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 08:18   #2
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoKodog View Post
So you are wondering who, what & where the ideals came from to prompt the founding fathers to put pen to paper and create "The Declaration of Independence"

This book from a New England preacher is the reason
(shown is a 1860 reprint, the first 2 editions are very difficult to read)

https://archive.org/details/vindicationofgov00wise
Locke's Second Treatise predates this by quite a few years. Jefferson took the DOI (almost verbatim in many of the ideals expounded) from Locke.

Locke also wrote "A Letter Concerning Toleration" which refuted the State Church of England.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017, 08:22   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Yes, there's lot's of Locke in the Declaration. He was a big influence on TJ.
Old June 19, 2017, 08:24   #4
KoKodog
Registered

the use of hard and soft "s" in early text is just one of the reasons the earlier editions are difficult to read

the pic is of a page in the original 1717 printing, 2nd edition was printed in 1773

it reads by John Wise, not 7ohn Wife

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old June 19, 2017, 08:39   #5
KoKodog
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Yes, there's lot's of Locke in the Declaration. He was a big influence on TJ.
while Locke does pre-date the teachings of John Wise,

it was John Wise that reached so many hearts and minds that the principals of "The Declaration of Independence" being called out in biblical terms that became common knowledge at the time

Wise connected with the common man of the day
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old June 20, 2017, 18:55   #6
Eric_the_Red
Registered

FALaholic #: 75996
John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, cheesesteaks, beer, and the City Tavern....

....and the Pennsylvania Long Rifle, for good measure.
Old June 20, 2017, 20:07   #7
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
A common yearning was put into words by several authors.

The fruition of that yearning was made possible by the proximity of the convening authority to those being ruled,,, the Monarchy did not serve the interests of the far away subjects it ruled so self rule was the eventual default.

One rule of law was replaced by a more convenient and environmentally suited rule of law,,, freedom was redefined for the time and place.

The Declaration of Independence was the document that expressed a trendy sentiment that was born of a new acculturated type of people,,, we are very likely giving birth to a new type of people as we post here, and it's not by regional choice.

Boo phucking who,,, too bad I was just getting used to what I am and set in my ways and with what I already was,,, shit happens and somebody will declare for it in writing and people will hold that declaration in reverence,,, until another declaration is declared to be more useful in a given time and place.

Hold onto your hats and grab your ass is my declaration,,, was it ever really any different ?.

Last edited by martin35; June 21, 2017 at 05:31.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 20:23   #8
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Never heard of Locke or Wise. The things that come out on these forums are simply incredible. And what's more incredible is the many who know of them. Or maybe it's sad that I don't.
Old June 20, 2017, 20:42   #9
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Damned Brits - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke - sowing the seeds of their own destruction. Building on another's ideas can be like building a house, brick by brick - sometimes you get a nice house in the wolds, sometime you build an eyesore, in a concrete jungle! John Locke lived in the Wolds, as it were - since his enlightenment, we've built Tract homes, and destroyed the landscape - I say we go back to the Wolds - but we can't/won't, yet!!
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2017, 20:56   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Never heard of Locke or Wise. The things that come out on these forums are simply incredible. And what's more incredible is the many who know of them. Or maybe it's sad that I don't.
Huh? Adam Smith was pretty cool.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 07:42   #11
Fn/form
Registered

FALaholic #: 14765
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
There's a lot of stuff in grade school that goes right through your ears. I know there was a lot of stuff I didn't study or care about. I'd be surprised if there was absolutely no mention of the philosophy supporting the DOI/Constitution in your schooling.

During a spirited discussion a girlfriend lamented her lack of knowledge of "politics" and gov. She had a college degree and I know accredited state universities require US and state history. I reminded her of this. I wish I had a photo of the look on her face.

We're all born ignorant. In this day and age of information access and education it's a willful ignorance.
Fn/form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017, 08:34   #12
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
My students learned about John Locke's influence and also that of the Baron De Montesquieu. Montesquieu's ideas about the separation of government power into different branches were attempts to limit the awesome power of a government. Locke believed that a ruler's authority came from "the consent of the governed" and that the government's duty was to protect the natural rights of the people. Locke considered these to be "life, liberty and property". If the government should fail to protect these rights, its citizens would have the right to overthrow that government and replace it with one that would. Locke saw a social contract between the government and the governed; the government would protect natural rights and enforce the laws passed by the people, while the governed people obeyed the law.

Yes, your typical small-town Texas 8th grader is just consumed with a burning desire to learn this stuff. Why, they live and breath political theory 'round these parts. Absolutely can't get enough of it...

"Hey Mr. Brantley, tell us another hog hunting story?" "Built any new models lately?"