Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old May 24, 2019, 11:00   #1
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
Savage axis in 300blk?

I am looking for a small compact bolt gun in 300Blk out and thought I might give Savage a try. On savages website they claim they make one but I can find mention of one anywhere on the internet, Buds, Gunbroker etc.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 05:41   #2
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Ruger has the American in 300BO as a compact, light, bolt action rifle.
Last I saw, they can be had with either a rotary mag system or to use AR mags.
A buddy has the rotary one and likes it. Personally, I find the BO best in an AR,,,
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 14:38   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Didn't find any for sale but you may want to special order from from your LGS. I special ordered my Savage 110 LE Tactical to get it in 6.5CM. Only took about 3 weeks to get it in the store.

From Savage Web site:

AXIS II 300 BLACKOUT
Savage has expanded the AXIS II line to include a chambering for 300 Blackout, providing the ballistics that made the cartridge famous in a bolt-action platform built for hunters. The light, compact rifle gets the most performance from 300 Blackout thanks to its 16 1/8-inch heavy barrel with threaded muzzle for use with a suppressor or muzzle brake. It also carries the AccuTrigger™, which allows the shooter to adjust trigger pull from 2.5 to 6 pounds.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=18819

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019, 18:53   #4
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Ruger has the American in 300BO as a compact, light, bolt action rifle.
Last I saw, they can be had with either a rotary mag system or to use AR mags.
A buddy has the rotary one and likes it. Personally, I find the BO best in an AR,,,
Thank you for the reply.

I do have some AR's in 300 BO. I was leaning toward a bolt gun this time around.

I purchased a Ruger American in 308 win with the rotary mag. It does shoot three shot groups just under 1 inch with handloads using both Hornady 150 and 165 grain interlock soft points unsuppressed. If I put my suppressor on the groups open up considerably, as in 3 plus inches. To be fair my can is heavy and that may have something to do with it. It also looks like the barrel might be touching the end of the forearm with the can installed. I haven't gotten around to relieving it some to see if that helps. One of my daughter in laws has been using it for a deer rifle the last three years and just loves it. She's very tiny and the little gun fits her well.

Ard Choille!
Old May 31, 2019, 18:56   #5
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Didn't find any for sale but you may want to special order from from your LGS. I special ordered my Savage 110 LE Tactical to get it in 6.5CM. Only took about 3 weeks to get it in the store.

From Savage Web site:

AXIS II 300 BLACKOUT
Savage has expanded the AXIS II line to include a chambering for 300 Blackout, providing the ballistics that made the cartridge famous in a bolt-action platform built for hunters. The light, compact rifle gets the most performance from 300 Blackout thanks to its 16 1/8-inch heavy barrel with threaded muzzle for use with a suppressor or muzzle brake. It also carries the AccuTrigger™, which allows the shooter to adjust trigger pull from 2.5 to 6 pounds.
Thank you for the suggestion I will see if I can order one.

Ard Choille!
Old June 08, 2019, 16:33   #6
HelluvaEngineer
Registered

FALaholic #: 4440
I have the Ruger American in 300BLK, and I added a mount for my SDN-6. The package works really well. The rifle is a tack driver. It has one major flaw - the rotary mags suck. I broke one in about two weeks because I always smack the bottom of my mags when loading them. They are all plastic (including the integral latch.) Ruger sent me another one for free, but c'mon...

Anyway the woodchucks here hate it.