The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old August 19, 2018, 16:31   #1
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Glock upgrades

Or modifications, whatever you want to call them.
Nothing wrong with a stock pistol but I like to make a few mods to mine. My mods are for carry not competition.
1. Three dot night sights if not equipped. I do have adjustable sights on one.
2. Extended slide release. A must have in my opinion.
3. 4.5 lb connector to lighten up the trigger pull.
On smaller Glocks like a 19 or 43 I put a mag extension cause I have big hands.
With the exception of night sights I use OEM parts.
Are there any other mods that won't affect reliability that you guys make?
Old August 19, 2018, 16:35   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’m on the same page you are with my Glocks. Aside from a lighter connector (I like 3.5-lb Ghosts), nothing internal is modified. To each their own but I don’t understand the folks who spend $1k+ turning their Glock into something it isn’t with the custom slides, stippling, fire-control parts, etc...and these guys are often puzzled when they go to sell them and they can’t get anywhere near what they have in them.

I immediately lose interest when someone says they have a “custom Glock” for sale...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns

Last edited by VALMET; August 19, 2018 at 16:41.
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 17:13   #3
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Carry Guns: Tritium Sights
House Guns: Tritium Sights and Flashlight

Not letting the cops confiscate a "high dollar, custom" gun. And I'm a former LEO.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 17:17   #4
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
Competition Guns are another story!
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 17:55   #5
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Night sights, Talon Grip panels or Skater tape for same works just fine. I do no other changes or mods well, other than one of those grip cap things to block off that hollow bottom on the frame,. I can't remember what it's called.

Last edited by chino*74; August 19, 2018 at 18:01.
chino*74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 18:25   #6
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by chino*74 View Post
Night sights, Talon Grip panels or Skater tape for same works just fine. I do no other changes or mods well, other than one of those grip cap things to block off that hollow bottom on the frame,. I can't remember what it's called.
Grip plugs.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 18:57   #7
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
I install the Zev billet striker.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 20:07   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I don't fret about Glocks at all.

Anything I'm likely to use a Glock for, I'm just going to be pointing it as fast as I can, and pulling the trigger as fast as I can.

Aim?

No.

Point it and pull the damn trigger.

If I gotta aim (as in look-at, and line-up sights) the target is gonna need to be stationary, and not trying to kill me.

This business of shooting handguns at sets of stationary 8-inch steel plates at 15 yards, or one-handed at paper targets at 50 yards, doesn't interest me much.

I do require that it goes bang 100% of the time.

Somehow, I've developed some tic that causes me to have occasional misfires with Glocks. I have no idea what it is. Different guns, and different calibers. But all Glocks. Cartridge just shows a light strike. Very peculiar. But not my imagination. And I'm holding onto it like bloody hell when it happens. With BOTH HANDS. So, its not a "limp-wrist" issue.

The Beretta M9 never does that, and it allows second strike if it ever does.
That's why I switched from Glocks to Berettas in "full-size" handguns.

Factory sights on both pretty much "suck." Not that I care, because I really don't use the sights.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 21:46   #9
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
I've never had a light strike w a Glock, strange. I am pretty well acquainted with the Beretta 92's, have had many, can't go wrong with it IMO. In fact I have 2 in my collection as I write. I love em. My G27 is just much easier to carry concealed VS the 92 plus I prefer the .40 for that purpose.

As to night sights I recently have gone to a night sight for the front only with the rear a wide cut V blacked out. I like it much better.
Old August 19, 2018, 22:57   #10
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post

So, its not a "limp-wrist" issue.
Well there has been some talk going around about that. Just sayin
Old August 20, 2018, 08:35   #11
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

There is some evidence that if you hold the Glock trigger back hard while charging the pistol, it may retard the slide sufficiently to prevent the slide from going into complete battery.

I haven’t done any focused study of whether this really happens during live-fire. All I have is anecdotal evidence of a few personal incidents.

I do hold the trigger back really hard between shots. This is a “follow-through” habit I developed from decades of shooting high power rifle National Match Competition. It’s a habit I’m not likely to abandon.

Anyhow, that’s MY theory as to why I have Glock misfires with otherwise correctly-maintained Glocks. Usually happens early in the range session, when I might be “amped-up” a little more than I should be. If that’s the case, how are things gonna go in a self-defense situation where I’m probably going to be holding the thing even harder?

The dropped-soap theory is a horse of another color.

Old August 20, 2018, 08:56   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
There is some evidence that if you hold the Glock trigger back hard while charging the pistol, it may retard the slide sufficiently to prevent the slide from going into complete battery.
Interesting. I had not heard of this, so I did some experimenting. I believe the only way it could happen, is if the portion of the trigger bar that depresses the firing pin safety plunger, is too tall. Or some other dimensional defect resulting in the same relative position. It would have to be tall enough that it contacts the underside of the slide and acts like a brake.

In experimenting at my desk this AM, I could feel contact in the last 1/4", but it was just kissing the slide, and that when I pushed down on the slide.

I wonder, since you mention competition, if you are reloading. And if by chance you are using a Dillon die, or some other brand that uses a carbide ring instead of the correct taper for a 9mm. Back when I could afford to reload, I noted that Dillon 9mm dies were fundamentally defective and would cause a slight bulge at the base, which would then sometimes cause difficult chambering. It's one reason I sold of my square deals and bought a 550. Then I could use a non-Dillon brand sizing die for the correct 9mm taper.
Old August 20, 2018, 09:14   #13
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Extended slide release would be a problem for me. Too often my thumb ends up on the lever, preventing slide from locking open. Working on my grip, but it's a habit from 1911 days.

I put on good night sights. I get Gary's point, and I really don't typically aim either. But in the event that I do wish to aim then sights are pretty good for that.

I modified my frames to suit me better. G23 has undercut trigger guard. G22 police trade modified a lot more since I decided I wanted to use the compact mags in both pistols. I don't give people money to so simple work to a cheap pistol, so while modified quite a bit it wasn't expensive. Both pistols are converted to 9mm and proven reliable.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2018, 11:40   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Interesting. I had not heard of this...

I wonder, since you mention competition, if you are reloading. And if by chance you are using a Dillon die, or some other brand that uses a carbide ring instead of the correct taper for a 9mm. Back when I could afford to reload, I noted that Dillon 9mm dies were fundamentally defective and would cause a slight bulge at the base, which would then sometimes cause difficult chambering. It's one reason I sold of my square deals and bought a 550. Then I could use a non-Dillon brand sizing die for the correct 9mm taper.
Mark, I only shoot factory ammo in autoloader pistols.

The first three times it happened (two successive range trips), I figured it was just the Remington ball ammo acting badly.

Then it did it with a different brand of cheap ammo. I think it was some brand of steel-case stuff, but I don't remember specifically. Again, I figured shaky ammo.

Then it did it once (just once) with Federal Premium ammo.

Never on the first shot. Always a shot that immediately followed a shot, and without fully releasing pressure on the trigger. Trigger allowed to ride forward ONLY far enough to achieve re-set of the trigger.

The guns involved were a relatively new Glock 22 (full-size pistol -- .40 S&W for folks who don't instantly know Glocks by model-number), and a well-used Glock 22, and a relatively new Glock 17 (full-size pistol -- .9mm). No modifications on any of these guns except the well-used Glock 22 has aftermarket tritium sights. All originial springs and levers and major parts. All "third-generation" guns if anybody cares about that.

Examination of the misfired cartridge in each case showed a markedly shallow strike. Each round fired after being re-chambered and struck again.

It was at that point I accepted the fact that I must be doing something to cause it. But, I assure you, it was NOT because I was gripping the pistol too feebly.

My grip is a "thumbs-down" orientation. That is, my right hand grips the pistol firmly, and with the thumb bent at the last joint so that the thumb-tip points downward. The weak hand grabs the strong hand, with the thumb of the weak hand locked over-top of the strong-hand thumb, and also with the tip of the thumb of the weak hand pointing similarly downward.

I realize this grip is not the "stylish" high-thumbs grip we see all the tactical shooters teaching these days. I hold a pistol in manner I specified because I believe it gives me a MUCH more secure hold on the gun. Everytime I've ever been in close quarters with a handgun drawn (and luckily I never had to actually pull a trigger), I've been outnumbered and/or out-sized. My biggest concern in that situation is weapon retention during threat assessment and mitigation.

Add to this, I shoot lots of rifle (AR15 National Match stuff), but only shoot pistol maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

I'm sure I could hold the pistol differently, and achieve smaller groups, and point-of-impact closer to factory-regulation of sights. I might even cause the misfire issue to go away.

But, I'm not going to ever hold the pistol any differently than I already do. That's just me, and my stubborn (I prefer to think "committed") ways.

Then there's that M9, which offended me for probably ignorant reasons when it was adopted by the military. I finally got over being offended by it. At that point, I discovered that I shoot the M9 so much more comfortably and reliably, although not really any more accurately, than anything else. So I shelved the Glocks for the most part. Since I get to the range only infrequently with pistol, I just take the M9, and enjoy the smooth sailing.

I have tried and tried to find a way to make the M9 malfunction by changing my grip from strong, to weak, to high, to low. I can't make it malfunction. I haven't tried shooting it upside down or underwater.

I haven't banned Glocks from my active battery. I just now accept that I may have a misfire, and I must not freak out if it happens. Just stroke the slide (if I have an available second hand), and keep fighting. The prospect just makes me uncomfortable.

I carry one of those little BodyGuard .380 S&W's in my pocket when I'm going to Whole Foods. That gun gets fired maybe once a year.

Last edited by W.E.G.; August 20, 2018 at 12:00.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:03   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
It is possible to limpwrist an autoloader, but like "polish xyz" it isn't the cause of every ill.

That it happens to you on multiple guns, is really quite interesting. I would love to discover the cause, but it really has me baffled.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:15   #16
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote