Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old August 11, 2018, 17:36   #1
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
6am on the Ohio river today

I love it when I am home in the summertime.

Old August 11, 2018, 18:30   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Must not have been on the water very long. No gars on the deck!!!

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 19:53   #3
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
I was out fishing Tuesday on Canyon Ferry, hot but not nuts hot. Did some exploring and crossed the reservoir just to see what was on the other side, sort of like an aqua chicken otherwise known as a duck. Interesting, pretty deep over there relatively speaking.
A note of interest is what I experienced on the way back over to the launch side. Canyon Ferry Reservoir is not a small body of water, shallow on the south end but getting deeper the further north you go. What I came across in the widest point of the Reservoir was a confluence of waves possibly from wakes from other boats. The water surface everywhere else was almost dead flat so running into two to two and a half foot waves was a surprise to say the least. I am thinking this was a focal point. The boat handled it superbly well skimming across the tops but it was rather bumpy to say the least. My boat is not a deep V design but a modified version between a flat bottom and a deep V, sort of a small v bottom boat. Scared, me, really, hell yeah! Hard to slow down when you are bouncing like a bad landing and freaking out that you might chop the throttle too much.
Sooo, be careful out there boys and girls. I have had very little experience on this Reservoir or any body of water as large as this one is before. I now have another lessons learned in my boating bag.

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018, 23:31   #4
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Huh,til i saw the fish i wondered if ya meant see-gars or ..knee-

Nice boat,wheres the beer!?
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 04:58   #5
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinheitElf View Post
Nice boat,wheres the beer!?
I will have you know that my fishing buddy and I hold ourselves to the highest standards of character and moral fortitude sir.

There absolutely no beer drinking when we are out on the river fishing before at least 6:30
Old August 12, 2018, 08:02   #6
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Looks like big bluecat gear, catch anything.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 08:10   #7
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I will have you know that my fishing buddy and I hold ourselves to the highest standards of character and moral fortitude sir.

There absolutely no beer drinking when we are out on the river fishing before at least 6:30

Same down here...except maybe it is 5:30am.
Old August 12, 2018, 08:26   #8
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d762nato View Post
Looks like big bluecat gear, catch anything.
Yesterday we were only catching channels with Sonny's and tube baits, but they were hitting all morning so fast you could not smoke a cig before pulling in another one (plus one carp with the bow )

At least here, you must have live bait to catch the big blues. This week I should have time to catch some live bait, so blues and flatheads will be on next Saturday's target list.
Old August 12, 2018, 09:07   #9
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Must not have been on the water very long. No gars on the deck!!!

Nor buddies and yet extra fishing poles. Are they now fish food?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 19:03   #10
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Quote:

Goctha...
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018, 20:30   #11
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Yesterday we were only catching channels with Sonny's and tube baits, but they were hitting all morning so fast you could not smoke a cig before pulling in another one (plus one carp with the bow )

At least here, you must have live bait to catch the big blues. This week I should have time to catch some live bait, so blues and flatheads will be on next Saturday's target list.
How far are you from Ky Lake? I'd think fishing there would be better than the river.
Old August 16, 2018, 08:21   #12
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
Quote:

We use herring caught with a throw net, those blues eat them up like candy compared to stinky shad. Watch out for those dam flying Asian carp they will hurt you. I got hit in the side of the head by a 12 pounder. It felt like I got punched in the side of the head. My buddy thought it was funny....yeah me not so much. Good luck and be safe out there.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote