The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 01, 2016, 07:54   #351
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Coonan has not corrected the receivers because Dan is a lying sack of shit and pretends that the receiver is fine - it is all the factory Enfield and BSA parts that are defective.

I've got the receiver machining to correct mag fit pretty much figured out, but the bolt-over-base on the two I returned to him, I can't help.

I built around 20 rifles last month on Coonan and DSA and IMBEL receivers. The Coonan FAL had the normal and known problems of receiver not machined correctly underneath rear, area behind e-block oversize, and receiver too long and back (see my threads on lockup), but were otherwise uneventful. The Coonan L1A1 had the same significant defects as the previous - mag would not fit in new receiver. With nothing to lose, because the lying sack of shit Dan Coonan won't warranty his defective product, I remachined the mag well and the mags fit - I did not get BOB on those.

Several DSA type IIs with no issues

Last edited by gunplumber; December 01, 2016 at 08:10.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2016, 08:46   #352
IRONWORKER
Registered

FALaholic #: 48581
Well this suxs, been sitting on a nice Brit kit from Pat & have planned on a Brit cut rec from Coonan... Thanks for the heads up Mark
Old December 03, 2016, 02:37   #353
BUFF
Registered

FALaholic #: 789
The core, bitch issue is that both DSA and Coonan know how to manufacture correct, in-spec uppers that will work just fine with mil-spec FAL and L1A1 parts and kits, as they have made them correctly in the past. Both companies have just chosen to no longer do so unless by happenstance and let the customer sweat it out.
Old December 05, 2016, 19:07   #354
v188
Registered

FALaholic #: 1154
Thats a shame, ive built several Coonans and they went right together, although this was 12-15 years ago i guess.
Old May 24, 2017, 15:48   #355
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

I now have it from a reliable source that the lying sack of shit DAN COONAN has "retired" and f-cked the rest of his vendors as well.

Whether the parent company will continue with the FAL receivers at all, is unknown.

That leaves DSA the only name in the game.

Watch the price of CAI sporters to skyrocket!
Old May 24, 2017, 16:14   #356
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Well I just called them and asked.....he was right there looking at the person I was talking to....when they mentioned it to him they all laughed.....he has not retired and they are still making receivers.....I believe they are about to run a batch.....

Last edited by embatp; May 24, 2017 at 16:32.
embatp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017, 16:50   #357
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
Well I just called them and asked.....he was right there looking at the person I was talking to....when they mentioned it to him they all laughed.....he has not retired and they are still making receivers.....I believe they are about to run a batch.....
Well, that's certainly interesting. My source should know. But then, I've learned in the last year to assume anything Dan says to be a lie, even if the truth would serve.
Old May 24, 2017, 17:44   #358
Riddbits
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 35332
I talked to Coonan at the SHOT show and was told that they were only going to do 2 runs of receivers this year. Their concentration is on their new release of 1911's. Sucks for us.

And no, Dan is not retired.
Old May 24, 2017, 18:47   #359
Riversidesports
Banned

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I now have it from a reliable source that the lying sack of shit DAN COONAN has "retired" and f-cked the rest of his vendors as well.

Whether the parent company will continue with the FAL receivers at all, is unknown.

That leaves DSA the only name in the game.

Watch the price of CAI sporters to skyrocket!
Some background on Coonan

On the .357 pistolas much was sub contracted
Back in the early 90s there were guys left hanging with a ton of bits

I ended up buying a pile of bits from contractors, some real scarce items like the .256 barrels.
Most of the first run parts were sold as scrap.

Gets better...
Many employees had to take their last pay check in NIB pistols
I ended up getting into a few consequtive SN'd sets back in the 90s
that or nothing and there was a glut of them for a year or two in MN

Never met a former employee or contractor that held anything but hate
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017, 19:43   #360
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddbits View Post
I talked to Coonan at the SHOT show and was told that they were only going to do 2 runs of receivers this year. Their concentration is on their new release of 1911's. Sucks for us.

And no, Dan is not retired.
Be afraid, for I smell they too will get into the AR game. I mean, it is not like there is any competition

Last edited by raubvogel; May 27, 2017 at 19:00. Reason: Can't type worth a damn
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 09:26   #361
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
The core, bitch issue is that both DSA and Coonan know how to manufacture correct, in-spec uppers that will work just fine with mil-spec FAL and L1A1 parts and kits, as they have made them correctly in the past. Both companies have just chosen to no longer do so unless by happenstance and let the customer sweat it out.
I believe it would be more correct to say happenstance has nothing to do with it and a few anomalies by DSA and Coonan may occur in some runs.
A quality control inspection of each piece would be appropriate before shipping to alleviate a dissatisfied customer.
A company with foreign and domestic customers will not likely manufacture firearms and parts by total neglect.
Old May 26, 2017, 09:52   #362
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

So fanboy, how many have to be f-cked up before you'll acknowledge a problem?
Old May 26, 2017, 10:26   #363
oleblu72
Registered

FALaholic #: 29908
I was just on their website today because of the 10% off Memorial Day sale but when I got down to the bottom of the page and read their disclaimer it sure throws a sh&t pie in your face.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017, 16:30   #364
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
I was just on their website today because of the 10% off Memorial Day sale but when I got down to the bottom of the page and read their disclaimer it sure throws a sh&t pie in your face.

Mark
It sho doo
Old May 27, 2017, 08:03   #365
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
So fanboy, how many have to be f-cked up before you'll acknowledge a problem?

Periodically problems do occur but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Now let's see....at one time you stated you would not work on Century receivers and then will not work on Entreprise receivers. Lately, you dislike Coonan receivers and likely won't build on them since the owner is disingenuous. Now you have a hard on for DSA receivers and will also remiss them.
Progressively you may soon be out of the FAL building business as some new members here will not purchase any of those products.
Don't shoot yourself in the wallet.
Old May 27, 2017, 08:48   #366
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Then there's always Imbel,who seems to know how to build a pretty decent FAL receiver without screwing things up.I find myself wishing I'd gotten into the last Imbel group buy,even though I have a Coonan laying about,unbuilt.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 09:06   #367
GDavis
Registered

FALaholic #: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
Periodically problems do occur but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Now let's see....at one time you stated you would not work on Century receivers and then will not work on Entreprise receivers. Lately, you dislike Coonan receivers and likely won't build on them since the owner is disingenuous. Now you have a hard on for DSA receivers and will also remiss them.
Progressively you may soon be out of the FAL building business as some new members here will not purchase any of those products.
Don't shoot yourself in the wallet.
Well- if Gunplumber says he is having issues- I'd rather know that before I buy a particular receiver. IF- I were in the market for a FAL receiver, I appreciate someone that tells their experience with them rather than keeping their mouth shut.
GDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 10:24   #368
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
There are plenty of good receivers on the market already, not much need to lose one's ass trying to massage junk into a workable rifle. Mark already refuses to work on junk and has so much work in line he won't even look at an HK type right now, 100% FAL work. So I hardly believe Mark is shooting himself in the wallet.
Old May 27, 2017, 14:10   #369
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavis View Post
Well- if Gunplumber says he is having issues- I'd rather know that before I buy a particular receiver. IF- I were in the market for a FAL receiver, I appreciate someone that tells their experience with them rather than keeping their mouth shut.
I agree 100%, however is the issue only singular or is it systemic?
My concern over the years is certain problems seems to take on a life of their own and is passed on member to member and post to post over years until the same vintage issue with the manufacturer is the new norm.
I have read from members who pass on the deficiencies of certain products which occurred long before their time here and likely had little personal experience with the product. Denouncing any company in which we depend either for our vocation or hobby for a current singular problem is not proactive and solves nothing.
Take the problem(s) up with the product's company and work towards a resolution. Give them a reasonable amount of time as you are not their only customer. Don't communicating with them in a style of telling them what they should be doing and perhaps advising how wrong they are as that will certainly make matters worse. As stated if there is a problem send it back immediately and do not attempt fix it yourself as this will void the warranty.

Edit to add: Dan Coonan make an excellent receiver overall. Some previous bumps in the road without question which usually get resolved. Do I build on their receivers? No, as I do not like the slightly open bolt carrier when the bolt is in battery. This is a personal decision and I would recommend their receivers for the quality over the years and current price point.

Last edited by DakTo; May 27, 2017 at 14:20.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 15:04   #370
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
I agree 100%, however is the issue only singular or is it systemic?
My concern over the years is certain problems seems to take on a life of their own and is passed on member to member and post to post over years until the same vintage issue with the manufacturer is the new norm.
I have read from members who pass on the deficiencies of certain products which occurred long before their time here and likely had little personal experience with the product. Denouncing any company in which we depend either for our vocation or hobby for a current singular problem is not proactive and solves nothing.
Take the problem(s) up with the product's company and work towards a resolution. Give them a reasonable amount of time as you are not their only customer. Don't communicating with them in a style of telling them what they should be doing and perhaps advising how wrong they are as that will certainly make matters worse. As stated if there is a problem send it back immediately and do not attempt fix it yourself as this will void the warranty.

Edit to add: Dan Coonan make an excellent receiver overall. Some previous bumps in the road without question which usually get resolved. Do I build on their receivers? No, as I do not like the slightly open bolt carrier when the bolt is in battery. This is a personal decision and I would recommend their receivers for the quality over the years and current price point.
Until I read this edit, was going to offer you a new Coonan Type 2 for trade that I planned to have Mark build into a rifle for me on a nice Imbel kit, once he completes an Argy kit on an Argy receiver I located a while back.

But after all this discussion, I learn you won't use them for issues you deem to put you off them, as in, you won't build on them yourself.

I have four of Mark's rifles now, a fifth being built, and a six ready to send up to him, when he has time to take a breath, so with all that said, when he states Coonan's current products have serious issues, got to dance with tha partner that took to this dance.

You change your mind and want to trade this Coonan for an Argy or Imbel, let me know.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017, 20:33   #371
adamweinerog
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4362
Damn, well this sucks, having been back around the files is eye opening!
Old May 28, 2017, 08:09   #372
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Until I read this edit, was going to offer you a new Coonan Type 2 for trade that I planned to have Mark build into a rifle for me on a nice Imbel kit, once he completes an Argy kit on an Argy receiver I located a while back.

But after all this discussion, I learn you won't use them for issues you deem to put you off them, as in, you won't build on them yourself.

I have four of Mark's rifles now, a fifth being built, and a six ready to send up to him, when he has time to take a breath, so with all that said, when he states Coonan's current products have serious issues, got to dance with tha partner that took to this dance.

You change your mind and want to trade this Coonan for an Argy or Imbel, let me know.
I have absolutely nothing against ARS builds as they are completed with an appreciation to detail and care. Paying upward to $500 per FAL build is your decision and your funds.
As I have stated I appreciate Dan Coonan's quality over the years and with his current receivers, but a receiver built with an unnecessary hump over the breech area is not prototypical and is atypical of a FN type receiver.

I do understand the humorous content of your post but I am just going on record as far as ARS and Coonan are concerned.
Once Coonan and DSA move forward from past bump in the road events they will most likely be back on track.
Some of us have been around long enough when there were a limited and at a time when no receivers on the market. This occurred before 1984 and just after the 1989 import ban when all commercial and import receivers on the market were rapidly gobbled up by dealers and builders. Century actually came to the rescue with their frankenfal builds and many of us simply removed their receivers, built them on the $99 inch and metric parts kits and sold off the inch parts.
Currently, some sellers are proclaiming the multi-manufacturer Century receivers are now golden and have risen in selling price from $200 to $600.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:40   #373
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Take the problem(s) up with the product's company and work towards a resolution.
We did, dumphuque, - and the lying sack-of-shit Dan Coonan responded by retroactively changing his warranty to "f-ck you". Thus the title of this thread.

Over and over for many years, to my face, he promised - don't worry, any problems, I'll take care of it." Until there was a problem, then the lying sack-of-shit Dan Coonan says "all your factory parts are defective, my receivers are perfect - f-ck you."

Were he an honorable man, he'd simply have replaced the defective receivers. I have built hundreds of guns on Coonan receivers, and at least when Dave Neville was running operations, I could point out problem areas and they would be corrected. This positive relationship between the ones making and the ones using the part, made for constant improvements. As it should. It also made me confident in recommending the receivers. The lying sack-of-shit Dan Coonan is a fool, because he didn't grasp that I was their number one salesman!

But we can't do that anymore, because Dave is gone and Dan Coonan is a lying sack-of-shit.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 28, 2017 at 10:49.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017, 15:56   #374
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Well, that's certainly interesting. My source should know. But then, I've learned in the last year to assume anything Dan says to be a lie, even if the truth would serve.
Maybe he is practicing for a career in politics
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2017, 17:29   #375
hineline
Registered

FALaholic #: 72049
Coonan VS. DSA

So from what I am reading would it be safe to assume that the only company that makes a first time FAL builder friendly receiver is DSA?
hineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2017, 17:36   #376
sjohnson
Registered

FALaholic #: 24502
I believe the common consensus of currently available "common" uppers is IMBEL for ease of build. But there's a finite supply due to the import ban
sjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 01, 2017, 20:53   #377
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I read this thread in its entirety twice now
Sounds like 8 pages of lets get another Imbel group by rolling
Before it's too late ,almost half of the commitment quota is in place
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 09, 2018, 15:24   #378
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

This thread should never die!

Old February 11, 2019, 02:14   #379
GS455
Registered

FALaholic #: 63848
Remember when Sarco was selling off all the great Argy kits? Bout 8-10 years ago. I had a Coonan Argy receiver made wi custom s/n to match my kit. Kit & receiver have been boxed up ever since. Think that era Coonan/Argy receiver is okay?
GS455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 07:49   #380
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

You'll still have the normal problems with lockup, but mags should fit.
Old February 11, 2019, 10:20   #381
homebrewkid
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 10958
So does anyone know how long the supply of NOS Imbel's over at PARS is gonna last?

I wanna do one more Fal and right now I'm set up for the easy way out and just take my chances with the DSA Izzy rifle....cast and QC in question.

Or I could grab one of these Imbel's and go that route....I do have a good Imbel barrel and a few other parts but would cost more in the end.

Old February 11, 2019, 14:19   #382
mellow
Captain Awesome
Contributor

FALaholic #: 50296
Quote:
You'll still have the normal problems with lockup, but mags should fit.
Im glad I had ARS build my sarco argy kit on a Coonan, takes the worry bout if and how f ed the Coonan receiver is. This was around 2013 , not sure if Coonans were bad around then. Shame another receiver choice is gone.

Last edited by mellow; February 11, 2019 at 14:29. Reason: Spelling correction
mellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 14:27   #383
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Do not know about PARS Imbel inventory. I do know that DSA is making more receivers. I bought a Type 1 and Type 2 recently. Of course, they went fast and out of stock for now. They are making more, just get on the email notification list. I wonder how long before they make Type 3's and specialty receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewkid View Post
So does anyone know how long the supply of NOS Imbel's over at PARS is gonna last?

I wanna do one more Fal and right now I'm set up for the easy way out and just take my chances with the DSA Izzy rifle....cast and QC in question.

Or I could grab one of these Imbel's and go that route....I do have a good Imbel barrel and a few other parts but would cost more in the end.

Old February 11, 2019, 15:17   #384
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewkid View Post

When PARS raises the price and make you blink twice they may be down to the last crate.
Do you know how many times since 2000 I claimed to only build one more?
Old February 11, 2019, 15:21   #385
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Does anyone know if Coonan is now officially dead and buried????

Old February 11, 2019, 15:55   #386
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Does anyone know if Coonan is now officially dead and buried????
They are dead to me.
Old February 11, 2019, 16:11   #387
Red Six
Registered

FALaholic #: 79398
It's sad to hear they're playing fuq-fuq games. I grabbed four metric (R1, StG58, G1, and T1) from the most recent batch before they shut down and I didn't have any serious issues with getting them or with quality. Not perfect, but nowhere near the horror stories coming out now. Guess we're stuck with DSA...when they finally have receivers in stock again
Old February 13, 2019, 02:28   #388
EinheitElf
Registered

FALaholic #: 21533
Fookin hell, i have 1SA kit built on an older coonan and it runs fine...i also have a cai coonan l1a1 bastard that has that fucked up takedown lug...i test fitted everything and if i can find someone ot weld up and reprofile the lug i think it will be a good runner...1 odd fact,magwell cut for both inch and metric magazines(!?)both fit fine.

Can anyone do the work for me,i will pay ya!?

That sucks balls to hear mark... now i guess i may as well gather up and sell a couple of my last kits i will never get receivers for.....
EinheitElf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 07:50   #389
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinheitElf View Post
i also have a cai coonan l1a1 bastard
I have heard this before. What makes you think that Coonan made receivers for CAI?
Old February 13, 2019, 12:35   #390
FalDoc1982
Registered

FALaholic #: 71980
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
Remember when Sarco was selling off all the great Argy kits? Bout 8-10 years ago. I had a Coonan Argy receiver made wi custom s/n to match my kit. Kit & receiver have been boxed up ever since. Think that era Coonan/Argy receiver is okay?
I didn't have any real problems when I built mine last year, my kit and receiver are from about the same time frame. Only issue was the hole for the mag catch screw wasn't threaded all the way, easy fix.
FalDoc1982 is offline   Reply With Quote