Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Shotgun Files

Notices

Old September 02, 2019, 20:03   #1
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Any knowledge on a Legacy Pointer??

I have one of these in my sights I will probably buy tomorrow for $600. Not the one linked below, but that link was the only good pic/description I found.

I'm seeing mixed reviews around the interwebs, but not much "meat" on reliability and real life experiences.

Any real info on this shotgun here from the files tribe?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820258632
Old September 02, 2019, 20:41   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Unless something has changed recently, it's a Turkish shotgun. It was and may still be imported and rebranded as the Mossberg Silver Reserve

It really isn't a very good shotgun. It may be OK for what you want though. It really depends on how much you're going to shoot it.

I passed up a deal on a LN used Beretta 686 for $800 from Bud's Guns. There would be no comparing the Pointer to a 686 and the 686 was only $200 more.
Old September 02, 2019, 20:49   #3
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Turkish it is indeed. Entry level competition gun.

For some background on my purpose, I am dabbling with sporting clays and really enjoying it. I have had a couple of nicer O/U guns in the past that I could not hit with when dove hunting. Nice guns, but bad fit between them and me.

This one I have touched, held, and pointed around the lights in the building. It seems to "fit" me, but no I have not shot it yet.
Old September 03, 2019, 13:41   #4
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Seems like the vent rib has no taper toward muzzle. Not saying it is wrong, I'm just used to seeing that.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2019, 13:49   #5
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

For better or worse, it is sitting on my bench right now. Dove season came in on the 1st, and I plan to shoot a round of clays on Saturday, so the next week or so will confirm if it truly fits me or not. It sure seems to point nice and natural for me when swinging it around.
Old September 03, 2019, 19:24   #6
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

First range report

Well, it will indeed knock a dove out of the sky. It might knock down more doves, if more were flying around here this year. This year, like the past two years, doves have been thin. Not just my dove field, but everyone in the county says so. New migration tracks???? IDK

My preliminary range report, the used Pointer functions as it should. Shoots, extracts, ejects empty hulls, barrel selector functions correctly, safety works, and it does seem to point well for me.

A few more dove hunts this week and a hundred clays next Saturday (or two hundred) will tell the tale. You all should see a "rave" range report over the weekend on my new favorite shotty, or an MP ad for a used shotgun for sale. The latter means I went back to my trusty 870s. We'll see

Old September 08, 2019, 06:34   #7
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
A few more dove hunts this week and a hundred clays next Saturday (or two hundred) will tell the tale. You all should see a "rave" range report over the weekend on my new favorite shotty, or an MP ad for a used shotgun for sale.
Dammit, no defined answer!

I shot almost as good with it as I did the previous weekend with my 870, but considering it is a "new to me" gun with a completely different sight picture, that is not too bad IMO.

No rave review and no sale ad yet

Old September 08, 2019, 16:19   #8
Snake Bitten
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13425
Quote:
Turkish it is indeed. Entry level competition gun.

For some background on my purpose, I am dabbling with sporting clays and really enjoying it. I have had a couple of nicer O/U guns in the past that I could not hit with when dove hunting. Nice guns, but bad fit between them and me.
I bought a Yildiz O/U Turkish 12 ga SG at Academy Sports in Houston ~ 10 years ago. Bought it on the cheap and I didn't do well in sporting clays at all, went back to my Beretta Urika semi.

I probably wouldn't buy another Turkish made SG, the quality may have improved since then(?) I would buy some Turk made handguns, my 2 cents...

Edit: Hope all works out with your new SG!

Guns have two enemies: Rust and Politicians

Last edited by Snake Bitten; September 08, 2019 at 16:29.
Snake Bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019, 18:27   #9
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Today was my fourth time to shoot this course (they change it up every week though), and the second time with the new O/U. My score has gotten better every week, but incrementally, not in leaps & bounds. I think the improvement is just from the repetition and relaxing a bit more, not the new gun.

If things work out I will do it again next weekend, but I'm going back to an 870 next time and see what happens. I gotta say, this sporting clay stuff is addictive, and beats the chit out of golfing!!!
Old Yesterday, 12:41   #10
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Quote:
I gotta say, this sporting clay stuff is addictive, and beats the chit out of golfing!!!
Anything beats the chit out of golfing!!! And you sir, are obviously not a golfer!!